shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite Coffee?

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
How on earth did I miss this thread?!

I used to be happy with good ol' instant and was told I was snobby because I insisted on buying coffee from glass jars - Jacobs, Douwe Egberts and, when I was economising, Nestlé.

Then I met my now DH and realised what the term "coffee snob" really means. Suffice to say we do a regular trek out to a dodgy part of the city 90 minutes away so that we can buy his special coffee. He then talks to the owner about full roast this and light that and how bad the last harvest was in Colombia and how Ethiopian compares to Kenyan and how the cold weather up there is going to affect next year's beans and and and who knows what all else while I just stand there, eyes glazing over, with absolutely no idea what any of this means.

My "on the go" coffee comes from a place in our town that is, quite literally, a hole in the wall. It's called Under the Arch and is in what used to be a jail cell, back in the early 1800s. It's about 4'x4', the walls are a foot thick and the window still has the original metal bars. Our barista is AMAZING and we are often forced to go without him for days on end so that he can bugger off to who knows where to compete in local and national barista championships.

We don't have Starbucks in South Africa and we certainly don't have Dunkies, but I've had Starbucks while travelling overseas and find their coffee to be quite disappointing. I didn't know why until DH pointed out, in an insufferably supercilious tone, "they over roast their beans". Whatever that means. :rolleyes: Friends have sent me Dunkies and it's marginally better, but it's... I don't know. Not "proper" coffee? Ugh. I don't know. I'm used to good coffee now. Third world problems, yo.

Anyway. Pictures. The first three (if I manage to do this properly) are of the dodgy place in the city. They've been around for a hundred years and you can see why. You do a sort of sideways shuffle into the shop - space is limited because they have bags and bags of coffee everywhere. They roast it for you on the spot, so that you can take it home while fresh and warm. Oh, and when I bring my American friends here, they initially give me the side-eye and then freak out at how good the coffee is, and how cheap!

The final pic is of the laminate posted at my jail cell coffee place and it tells their story - I hope it's big enough to be legible! :)

Man, if you people are into coffee, you need to come out to Africa!

_24828.jpg

_24829.jpg

_24830.jpg

_24831.jpg

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Gevalia signature blend. It is good coffee.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH has Nespresso everyday. He loves his espresso.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Starbucks coffee. Lattes preferably.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1417264538|3792235 said:
My favorite is from whole foods. Allegro Coffee Organic Whole Foods blend. Delicious. Sweet and smoky and spicy at just the right strength. Not expensive.

https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/shop/ACO/1168/5077

We also get this coffee from Costco and grind the beans in our Vitamix. Works like a charm. I love this coffee too.
http://www.costco.com/Mayorga-Organic-Mocha-Java-Blend-Whole-Bean-Coffee-2-lb.-Bag-2-pack.product.11768248.html

iLander, I just ordered your recommendation from Costco.com. I will let you know what I think. For that price I just had to try it. Thanks for the rec!

iLander, we just received your rec the other day and my dh ground the beans and I made the coffee this morning and I want to thank you and let you know we really like this coffee. Very smooth and just the perfect flavor. I guess we got a good batch. Thank you!

Wednesday

Rough_Rock
Gillie's Sumatra. But it isn't sold in any stores I go to, so I'd need to order it online. I haven't done so yet. So I usually drink Equal Exchange Organic Breakfast Blend.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie, thank you for posting those photos! So fun! My hubby would love love love to go there. We have roasted our own green beans in the past and he was crazy about it. Our roaster was a very small one and when it broke we just never replaced it. It's early morning right now, but when he wakes up, I am going to show him your photos. He will get such a kick out of seeing them!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kona from a local coffee shop that roasts themselves. Unfortunately their Kona farmer of choice has suffered several setbacks, including an infestation that wiped out their crop. In an effort to support them they are not sourcing it from other farmers. We like to make it with the Aeropress, although I am now concerned about it being plastic. I purchased a (ceramic) french press but have yet to make a good cup with it.

The unfortunate thing about Kona, for us anyway, is that once you're hooked on it, everything else pales in comparison. And it's expensive!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1417963211|3797168 said:
Trekkie, thank you for posting those photos! So fun! My hubby would love love love to go there. We have roasted our own green beans in the past and he was crazy about it. Our roaster was a very small one and when it broke we just never replaced it. It's early morning right now, but when he wakes up, I am going to show him your photos. He will get such a kick out of seeing them!

I roast my own beans but just use a cookie sheet. It doesn't get them perfectly even, but I love it that way! Just shove on in the oven at 530 and shake as desired (or not!).

Current favorite is a blend of three African beans (Yemen Mocca, Ethiopian Harrar, and Ethiopian Sidama). Close 2nd is an Indian monsoon malobar (single origin bean -- I use as is and don't blend)
Love to roast from light (like right at 1st crack) all the way up to "EEK! The smoke alarms about to go off! Isn't it done yet!?!?" so you get a whole spectrum of caramel, chocolate, nutty sort of flavors in a single cup of coffee perfection :lickout:

Mmmmm!

Straight up espresso, white mochas, lattes, or even a double shot with a bit of orange curacao :lickout:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient, that is really interesting!What happens to all the chaff? Does it just sit there next to the beans? That's what I liked about our little roaster, the separation of the beans from the chaff. Where do you get your green beans from We used to order ours from a online site called Sweet Maria's, but I'm sure there are a plethora of sites these man years later.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1418051830|3797668 said:
TooPatient, that is really interesting!What happens to all the chaff? Does it just sit there next to the beans? That's what I liked about our little roaster, the separation of the beans from the chaff. Where do you get your green beans from We used to order ours from a online site called Sweet Maria's, but I'm sure there are a plethora of sites these man years later.

The blend of African beans doesn't have much chaff left after roasting. Even the lighter roasts it just sort of burns up in the cooking process. The Indian beans aren't as good that way. I just take the pan outside and give one little blow and it is all gone (but do NOT do this inside! -- I warned a friend and ended up getting a phone call that his smoke alarm had gone off and he was STILL trying to get all the chaff out of his kitchen :lol: )

I order through CoffeeProject.com and have always been happy.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will check that out. I just re-read my post and saw the many missing letters and punctuation. Geez. My apologies. Need better glasses. :lol: Sweet Maria's is still in business. My hubby used to love roasting beans. I might have to get him to sit down with me and pick out a new roaster. I could never just get him one, he is way to particular about that kind of thing. I will have to try your method as well. Thanks for the info!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1418061360|3797719 said:
I will check that out. I just re-read my post and saw the many missing letters and punctuation. Geez. My apologies. Need better glasses. :lol: Sweet Maria's is still in business. My hubby used to love roasting beans. I might have to get him to sit down with me and pick out a new roaster. I could never just get him one, he is way to particular about that kind of thing. I will have to try your method as well. Thanks for the info!

If you do the cookie sheet, start with a very small handful of beans. Really! It produces a lot of smoke (some beans are worse than others) some days!

We don't have the counter space to put a roaster and I wasn't sure it would be worth it to roast our own beans so we got started using just the pans. I absolutely love getting the variety of roasts. DH suggested a few times we buy a roaster but I've kept declining because I really do love doing it this way.

Hope you guys are roasting again soon!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like Green Mountain (caramel vanilla cream is one of my favorites) and Dunkin Donuts coffee with extra skim milk. I don't drink coffee too regularly, which is probably a good thing.

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
Not much of a coffee gal myself, but my husband is an insufferable hipster when it comes to coffee. We have every pour over contraption imaginable and he hand grinds his beans every morning. Yes, in the year 2014. There's a lot of local Bay Area coffees in our cabinets like De la Paz, Ritual and Four Barrel. I'm a sucker for a vanilla latte myself, can't taste the coffee over the milk and sugar :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results