shape
carat
color
clarity

Pls help me to choose the 2nd strand

concun

Shiny_Rock
I love the look of double strands or even triple strands. I already have 17" 9.0-9.5 freshadama strand. Please advice on what length and pearl size should I choose for the other 2 strands with my current one being the longest and largest pearl size?
Thanks.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hi cancun - It will depend on your neck and body build. If you want the 17" to be the longest strand, the others could be 16" and then 15" to nest above them. You can graduate the pearl size down on the shorter strands, say 8.5-9mm on the 16" and 8-8.5 on the 15". You should make sure that you look good in these shorter length strands. Such strands would be too short for me, and I would start with the 17" and go 18" and 19". It all depends on how you are built.

Pictures, of course, would help. :wavey:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally (as I do NOT have a swan neck), I would be inclined to send the large freshadama strand back to PP to have it lengthened. Then while it is there, you can have them get a better match to some smaller sized strands. I would also be inclined to do a 17, 18, 19, or an 18,19,20.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I can't help with size but have a spacing I like. 1/2". It seems pleasing to the eye. I just add pearls to make them create that design. You can't just say a certain length.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's true. You want to decide whether you want them nested or with a space in between (and if so, how much of one), and then the lengths become a bit approximate in order to get the drape right. The PP blog has some nice examples of both. Jeremy did a special order for a woman named Jenni in the UK with both a gorgeous nested triple strand of akoyas and a spaced longer triple strand of freshadamas.

I imagine that you would want the largest size at the bottom (which is where the 17 inch length becomes tight if you don't have a particularly delicate neck). The other option would be to have the largest size flanked by two smaller sized strands of equal size ....it's what I was doing with my metallic whites that got me in hot water as discussed on the other thread. The overtones are slightly different as this was an after the fact improvisation, not something that I had planned. It's more obvious in the pictures than on my neck.

Pic:

I suppose you could do a reverse size (so large, medium, small going down your neck), but I'd want to see a picture of that arrangement first before committing to it.

Whatever you decide to do, it's exciting! I'd suggest looking at Bsomio's metallic strands and LitGeek's graduated strands to get a sense of what you might like in terms of the actual size of pearl you would want for each of the other two strands. Or you can work with someone at PP and they can show you what various sizes would look like with the strand that you have. IIRC, 4RanchGirl also has a triple inspired by QEII. I think it might be graduated to a larger center pearl on each strand, but I'm not 100% certain on that. I just remember they were beautiful.

triple_no_jacket_cropped.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Here's my white metallic triple -- outside is approximately 8mm, middle is approximately 7mm and smallest is approximately 6mm.

I like my triples nested.

Lengths depend entirely on the style you like and the width of your neck:

Here's another triple made of golden akoya. The largest pearl is in the center of each strand, so it's graduated differently from above:

pp_triple_metallic_april_1.jpg

with_0.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I have an 18" 7-7.5 mm strand of Akoyas that I wear nested with an 8-8.5 mm strand of Freshadamas that is a little over 19". I gave the Akoya strand to PP so they could make the Freshadama strand the right length to nest nicely (they drape it over a neck form to adjust). I suggest your return your current strand to PP so they can select additional strands that match well in color and luster and adjust the lengths for a nice drape.

When I wear my Akoyas as a triple, they are at 17, 18 and 19". I personally could not wear a triple with the largest strand at 17" as the shortest strand would not be a comfortable or flattering length. If your neck looks good with a 14-15" strand, you'll be fine. Otherwise, consider either having more pearls added to lengthen your current strand (you can shorten it with a pearl shortener when you want to wear it as a 17" single strand) or have a 2-3" extender piece made for your current strand to use when you wear a triple.

7-7.5 mm, 8-8.5 mm and 9-9.5 mm would be a nice graduation. If you want a less dramatic graduation between the strands, 8-8.5 mm, 8.5-9 mm and 9-9.5 mm would also work well.

This is how my 7-7.5 mm and 8-8.5 mm strands look together. I think the addition of a 9-9.5 mm strand would look great. ;))

akoya__amp__freshadama_0.jpg

img_9408.jpg

img_9412.jpg

Lisa C

Rough_Rock
cmd, still shaking my head that your appearance could spark anything but admiration. Well, maybe it could cause someone to get in trouble by staring too much. That person would be me. I'd plant myself right across from you and just gaze, that'd make you uncomfortable, I'd get thrown out...

That's what Ruckus is perfect for. Staring there won't get you thrown out, I bet. (Musing) Imagine many triples in one room... That's next year, right? :angel:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for the fuzzy picture but you can get the idea.

_24985.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Kay and 4RanchGirl, lovely neck shots!

Lisa -- the Ruckus is probably the only place in the world where it is acceptable to approach someone gazing intently at their pearls, not making eye contact or having any semblance of normal human interaction. You can approach anyone with your eyes on their neck or chest or ears exclaiming in admiration and asking questions and reaching out -- and it's fine! We're all doing the same thing!

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Lisa C|1417995771|3797416 said:
cmd, still shaking my head that your appearance could spark anything but admiration. Well, maybe it could cause someone to get in trouble by staring too much. That person would be me. I'd plant myself right across from you and just gaze, that'd make you uncomfortable, I'd get thrown out...

That's what Ruckus is perfect for. Staring there won't get you thrown out, I bet. (Musing) Imagine many triples in one room... That's next year, right? :angel:
You would see... triple akoyas, triple Tahitians, triple freshies all kinds of freshies, not to mention double ropes :naughty: :lol:

Lisa C

Rough_Rock
Concun, cmd's suggestion sounds really workable. What are you contemplating today? and have you thought about a clasp yet? I hope you don't mind my asking.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results