shape
carat
color
clarity

Rikitea Strand:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
cmd -- I appreciate your candor.

Yes, it is all about expectations... and it's what makes buying pearls online terribly difficult (and exciting).

juliebeth

Shiny_Rock
bsomlo, on one hand, those are GORGEOUS pearls! on the other, what i see on my monitor is almost nothing like the glamour shot, and i can completely see where disappointment might set in. although i ADORE the shots with your baroques - what if you wear them with colors opposite teal on the color wheel? might that help them pop? reds, oranges, purples?

i'd love more neck shots, but i must say, if they're not floating your boat, return them! i must also say, give them a few days and outfits to make sure that the boat isn't sinking... :)

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Neck shots:

(That's our Christmas tree in the background.)

neck_shot_day_2__1_.jpg

neck_shot_day_2__2_.jpg

neck_shot_day_2__3_.jpg

neck_shot_day_2__4_.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
At lunch with DH, so I just held up my cell phone and asked him what color your necklace was? He replied immediately, "Predominately blue, with purple overtones on a few of the pearls." And he pointed to them.

He never saw the glamour shots, so no preconceived notions there.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
They definitely look more blue here. That purple dress looks great with them!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
To me, they look charcoal/teal. Beautiful and elegant. Just not the color I was expecting.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with you, bsomlo. They are not the vibrant shade of blue that was so engaging in the photo.

Do you think there are bluer strands out there? Or are all blue strands likely to look this way in normal light?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My blue round Rikitea strand was shipped yesterday, and due to arrive next Wednesday. So, we will have another data point then.

From the glamour photos, I'm guessing the deepest blue will be Kay's strand. I asked for purple overtones on mine, so we will see how evident those are in real life.

In any case, bsomlo has a very fine, very high end, extremely well matched, round Tahitian necklace that trends more blue than most.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Bsomlo, that's a gorgeous strand of pearls, elegant and mysterious. My initial reaction was they don't look like the vendor's photo, so I went back for a closer study between the two, I can see that the pearls are darker than what I expected to see in real life, but the professional photos were able to capture the subtle variations of the overtones, this had a brightening effect for me anyway, when viewing the strand. Your photos don't really show the variations, maybe in shaded natural lights you'll be able to see the full glory of your strand? Nevertheless you should get what suits you and makes you happy. I can't wait to see the rest of the rikitea strands though, I love Tahitian pearls.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014|1417879545|3796397 said:
Any thoughts this morning?

I have to admit that I hate the whole light box shot/reality contrast effect. It sets you up to feel disappointed IMO, and I have such a hard time letting go of what I thought things should look like (an effect which gets stronger in proportion to how much I've spent). It makes it hard for me to appreciate something for what it is, until I forget what it was supposed to be.

Well, that is why they're called "glamour shots." I imagine men who date models feel the same way. :lol:

bsomlo, I think your Rikitea strand is beautiful. The pearls are really well matched. They look deep ocean blue to me, and I think it's important to remember that they are a natural color. Anything too vivid would look dyed. But, you're the one who needs to love them. Please let us know what happens.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
I am the odd gal out here...and while this is an absolutely gorgeous strand of pearls, it does not draw me in the same way some other strands do...I had my eye on 1562 (now gone from inventory) which had more of a multi color effect with strong aubergine (almost amethyst cast). That said, bsolmo's strand is perfectly lovely, just not one that speaks to me. If you don't love it completely and unconditionally, it will sit in your jewelry box never worn.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Pirard|1417920031|3796761 said:
I am the odd gal out here...and while this is an absolutely gorgeous strand of pearls, it does not draw me in the same way some other strands do...I had my eye on 1562 (now gone from inventory) which had more of a multi color effect with strong aubergine (almost amethyst cast). That said, bsolmo's strand is perfectly lovely, just not one that speaks to me. If you don't love it completely and unconditionally, it will sit in your jewelry box never worn.
Good point.
I also loved 1562 so you're not the only one, I was drawn to variations in overtone intensity, hopefully I don't regret not purchasing that strand. It's so hard to tell from photos, usually the pearls appear less colourful and lighter in real life, in this case they are darker than expected. Side note I bought a pair of Kamoka earrings and the colors were spot on, the pearls more lustrous, the craters in the vendors photo are just tiny pin pricks in real life.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
BS your strand is so beautiful and I would take it in a heart beat but if doesn't make your heart sing send it back. It is just to special not to be totally loved.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1417922340|3796804 said:
Pirard|1417920031|3796761 said:
Good point.
I also loved 1562 so you're not the only one, I was drawn to variations in overtone intensity, hopefully I don't regret not purchasing that strand. It's so hard to tell from photos, usually the pearls appear less colourful and lighter in real life, in this case they are darker than expected. Side note I bought a pair of Kamoka earrings and the colors were spot on, the pearls more lustrous, the craters in the vendors photo are just tiny pin pricks in real life.

In the interests of completeness, and to add eye-candy, here is strand 1562.

18-inch AAA 8.3-10.9 Tahitian Round Pearl Necklace Item # TAN100-1562

"This beautiful strand exhibits the coveted intense cherry overtones over a deep, dark body color. The intensity of the tones vary throughout the strand, giving it some variation."

And, LG, how about some pictures of those Kamoka earrings??? :mrgreen:

pp1562.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1417922612|3796810 said:
BS your strand is so beautiful and I would take it in a heart beat but if doesn't make your heart sing send it back. It is just to special not to be totally loved.
I'm thinking what bsomlo wants is an entire strand that looks more like these pearls. That would be truly stunning. :cheeky:

blues_9588.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bsomlo|1417896976|3796557 said:
To me, they look charcoal/teal. Beautiful and elegant. Just not the color I was expecting.

bsomlo - to me also they look charcoal/teal, and truly very beautiful and elegant on you. But, I guess the way blue plays with/blends with the deep grey base operates to sort of mute the expected vibrancy?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Outdoor photo under canopy shade, note just took these with the iPad, you can see the left one is more beautiful than the right one.

_24942.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ennui|1417908696|3796643 said:
cmd2014|1417879545|3796397 said:
Any thoughts this morning?

I have to admit that I hate the whole light box shot/reality contrast effect. It sets you up to feel disappointed IMO, and I have such a hard time letting go of what I thought things should look like (an effect which gets stronger in proportion to how much I've spent). It makes it hard for me to appreciate something for what it is, until I forget what it was supposed to be.

Well, that is why they're called "glamour shots."

True, but when buying online, you hope that the photo offers an accurate representation of the product you are thinking about purchasing, so you can make a decision about whether or not it's what you're looking for. While I know that pearls are tricky to photograph, as how they look will be affected by the light, these "glamour shots" make it very difficult to know what exactly you are getting. I imagine it's a huge reason for returns. Plus, if you disappoint a first time buyer enough, he/she will not buy from you again.

As for this strand, maybe in a day or two it will make Bsomio's heart sing, but if it doesn't, it should go back to find a home with someone for whom it does. It's too $$$ to sit in a drawer. Plus, it would be happiest in a home where it is cherished and loved, and dare I say it...patted. Featured prominently in the "what are you wearing today" thread. Maybe getting a thread of its own. Held up in sunlight to reflect the overtones. Worn proudly out and about with a little strut in the step (and red lipstick of course), without even the faintest twinge of regret or disappointment. Oogled covetously by others. Inspiring all of the feelings that makes us want these things.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1417924272|3796840 said:
Outdoor photo under canopy shade, note just took these with the iPad, you can see the left one is more beautiful than the right one.
Thank you, LG. Gorgeous earrings.

Kamoka is such a small farm that matching pearls perfectly is difficult. I have several pairs of Kamoka earrings and I find the slight differences are fascinating. In your case, the right one is a reminder of how spectacular the left one is.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1417925330|3796861 said:
Lovinggems|1417924272|3796840 said:
Thank you, LG. Gorgeous earrings.

Kamoka is such a small farm that matching pearls perfectly is difficult. I have several pairs of Kamoka earrings and I find the slight differences are fascinating. In your case, the right one is a reminder of how spectacular the left one is.

Very well said. :appl:

Back to the rikitea strands and Pearl Paradise, they have really good customer service despite how busy they must be at the moment, this is important for me as I really can't return anything without incurring a huge penalty, dealing with PP is relatively pain free. :bigsmile:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
@Cmd, I agree with you about light box photos. I have gotten better at "deciphering" them and as you say, pearls are hard to photograph accurately anyway. But I would much rather see pictures that are as close as possible to what I'll actually receive. That's what I need to know, and I'm also more likely to buy.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
The strand is lovely, but not what I expected to see. From the glamour shots I expected it to be much more of an intense blue. They look more charcoal veering towards blue/teal. It will be interesting to see some of the other strands compared to their glamour shots.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
cmd2014|1417925305|3796859 said:
As for this strand, maybe in a day or two it will make Bsomio's heart sing, but if it doesn't, it should go back to find a home with someone for whom it does. It's too $$$ to sit in a drawer. Plus, it would be happiest in a home where it is cherished and loved, and dare I say it...patted. Featured prominently in the "what are you wearing today" thread. Maybe getting a thread of its own. Held up in sunlight to reflect the overtones. Worn proudly out and about with a little strut in the step (and red lipstick of course), without even the faintest twinge of regret or disappointment. Oogled covetously by others. Inspiring all of the feelings that makes us want these things.

What she said.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your comments, everyone.

Today we have clear skies and the strand looked more blue alone and with my other Tahitian (near Northern facing window with a pile of turtlenecks, to be used next, blocking direct light):

12-7-14__1_.jpg

12-7-14__2_.jpg

12-7-14__3_.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Two more:

12-7-14__4_.jpg

12-7-14__5_.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Then, I took pictures of the strand on many different color turtlenecks. The pictures were taken on the floor near the window with a daybed blocking some direct Northern light. See what you see:

on_brown_and_white_polka_dots.jpg

on_camel.jpg

on_fuschia.jpg

on_4.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Next batch:

on_5.jpg

on_lavender_and_grey_0.jpg

on_lavender_0.jpg

on_6.jpg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, they look really blue against the fuchsia!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They certainly look bluer contrasted with your pink turtleneck! Maybe that's the ticket-- wear these with contrasting colors.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Last three:

on_royal_blue.jpg

on_rust.jpg

on_teal.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results