carat
color
clarity

Rolling Stone Mag retracts rape of UVA story

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

The magazine said yesterday that they would no longer stand behind the rape story that caused public outrage. They could not substantiate this gang rape and other issues were cloudy. Don't you think they should have checked all the facts before publishing?

Right along with that question is , do you think rape charges should even be considered after 40 yrs, as in the Bill Cosby case?

Annette

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From reading much of the UVA coverage, the impression I get is that giving the accused a chance to defend themselves would be usual journalistic practice, but that in this case, an exception was made out of compassion for Jackie. Apparently she was very fearful of these men and of reprisals against her, and became very distressed when the idea of contacting them was floated.

So it seems usual practice was put aside out of wanting to treat the victim as kindly and respectfully as possible.

I understand that, but you really can't go to a journalist and make criminal accusations about people and then tell the journalist they can't investigate your accusations.

If I had been the journalist, I don't think I would have smelled a rat or anything, I think I would have assumed she was genuinely too traumatized to go after the men. I would have gently told her to contact me when she felt ready to let me investigate fully.

I wonder if the journalist was so moved by Jackie's story and felt so bad for her, that the journalist let her heart rule her head, in terms of her decision to press ahead with the story without being able to contact the accused parties. (Because the coverage seems to be saying that contacting the accused is usual practice.)

Of course, right now we don't what the truth is.

Edit: I haven't read about the Bill Cosby story so am not qualified to comment.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An update from the Post: One of the friends was contacted and says that Jackie did indeed call him for help one night in Sep 2012, and that she was really shaken and upset when he reached her.

However, the friend says that she did not have the physical injuries mentioned in the article and she was not outside the fraternity house mentioned in the article when he found her. When he reached her, he says Jackie was visibly very upset. What she told him was that she had been forced to have oral sex with five men at a frat party.

This friend, "Andy", says that the conversations about social concern never took place and that they offered to take her to hospital or the police, but she refused and so the friends all slept in her room that night at her request, to comfort her.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/u-va-fraternity-to-rebut-claims-of-gang-rape-in-rolling-stone/2014/12/05/5fa5f7d2-7c91-11e4-84d4-7c896b90abdc_story.html

Edit: Note that this article does identify a roommate of Jackie's who went on the record with her real name (Alexandra Soltis) saying that she did indeed notice emotional and physical changes in Jackie in the fall of 2012.

I wonder if Jackie changed many details of the attack in order not to alert the men involved that it was really about them, if they happened to read the article, since she is still on campus and quite possibly still scared of these men. (She probably never knew it would get this much scrutiny - she's young, remember.)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1417885587|3796456 said:
Hi,

The magazine said yesterday that they would no longer stand behind the rape story that caused public outrage. They could not substantiate this gang rape and other issues were cloudy. Don't you think they should have checked all the facts before publishing?

Right along with that question is , do you think rape charges should even be considered after 40 yrs, as in the Bill Cosby case?

Annette

Annette, I posted Rolling Stone's statement I yesterday.
Keep up, gurl. ;-)

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dont-send-your-daughters-to-the-rape-school-uva.208203/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dont-send-your-daughters-to-the-rape-school-uva.208203/[/URL]

Now we have two threads to follow about the same topic.
Maybe Ella will combine them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results