clarity

unpopular jewelry opinions

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HopeDream|1417818646|3796048 said:
I prefer function over form, and tend to choose choose sturdy life-proof settings with little to no melee over artistic fragile, melee encrusted designs.

I like smaller stones.

I would sacrifice size for higher clarity and color (VS2 and above please!)

I love buying used pieces both for their uniqueness and the value they offer. This is especially true of signed pieces.

I like all diamond shapes :)

I like irradiated blue diamonds :bigsmile:

I like the clarity and color offered by synthetic gemstones, even if they aren't worth much.

Yeah,I like synthetic blue spinel. :shhh:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Niel|1417819415|3796056 said:
Gypsy|1417818863|3796050 said:
Well this one is unpopular with me.

No, I haven't talked to her about what shape/design ring she wants, but she'll love anything I get her so I picked this (or something similar): http://www.since1910.com/images/products/simon-g-wide-pave-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-nr109-1-C.png or http://mdcdiamonds.com/images/ProductImages/ES1096PR-1.jpg

Haha to be fair gypsy, I think that's a fairly common feeling about posts like that.

Yup. Pretty much. So it is a prevalent opinion on the boards. I just didn't want to say " I think everyone agrees with me when I say...."

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think the lifeproof one from Hope Dream is unpopular.

As for synthetics. I prefer synthetic red stones. Real garnets are too dark. Rubies are either pink or cost the earth in the color I want. And spinels are usually dark pink as well.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
swingirl|1417818475|3796046 said:
How do I say this in the positive...

I love jewelry. To buy, design, own, etc. But I prefer the feel on my body of being jewelry-free. In other words I don't like the feel of the stuff on my skin!

Haha, yes exactly. I love jewelry too and personally the bigger the diamond the better for me (in a ring) however I am sans jewelry when I am at home. I prefer wearing nothing on my hands/neck/ears/wrist when I am not out and about. I also change my clothes when I get home to one of my simple sleeveless (even in winter) tank dresses and clogs when I am home. I just enjoy being unencumbered and unadorned when I am at home.

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1417815788|3796018 said:
kenny|1417814011|3796004 said:
Personally, I'm into diamonds not rings.

Which leads me to another possibly "unpopular" opinion - I'm into rings, not diamonds, and will happily spend as much or more on the setting as I will on the stone(s) it houses ::)

Oh good, me too! Diamonds are beautiful, but rings are ARTWORK! I was initially shopping for an e-ring without a stone at center stage, because I felt like they had all been "done before" and I wanted uniqueness. I also wanted finger coverage for my longgg fingers on a small budget.
Which leads me to my second unpopular opinion: yay for big rings! Big THICK rings! No daintiness for my hands! Modern or antique and girly, so long as it's wider.

And lastly, I prefer unplated white gold for some rings. I get scrunched up noses when I say that in a jewelry store.

Phew, it was good to get all that off my chest. 8-)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are all what I prefer FOR ME. I am perfectly capable of looking at the opposite of these on other people and loving them, but just because I love it in a picture doesn't mean I'd love it if I was wearing it.

I love wider shanks on rings. I really just want knuckle-to-knuckle coverage.

I like it to flare/taper out toward the center stone rather than taper in.

I prefer stones between 1.5-3 carats, and find over that to be too big for me.

The whole look of the ring is much more important to me than just the center stone.

Diamonds are pretty boring.

I rarely actually wear my jewelry.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="kenny|
For what I paid for my 1.51 G VS2 Octavia I could have bought much heavier diamond that would look much more impressive to size queens.
I think the peak of the PS diamond demand bell curve would be the largest, non-branded, well-cut, I/J, eye-clean SI2 found after a long search.

So I guess my color and clarity sweet spot would qualify as an unpopular jewelry opinion.[/quote]

I wouldn't mind owning a G VS2 Octavia... :wink2:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
--Still love the sparkle of a good ol' MRB!

--Love matchy-matchy sets!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, I'll trade my 1.51 G VS2 Octavia for your 2.3 ct I VS2 Octavia any day. :whistle:

I guess that proves I'm a size queen too. :lol:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer D-F, which is not exactly compatible with my wallet. I love the idea of a big diamond. However if I had to sacrifice clarity (SI1 and below), for a larger size, I know my AAA personality will regret it. However, I would sacrifice a little in cut to get a bigger stone. WF expert selection instead of an ACA.

Bugs me a lot to own a piece I do not wear 5/7 says a week. So my collection is very limited and I buy only what I want to wear daily. Thus I have given up on stacking bands because I would not be able to wear all of them everyday. :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like low profiles.
I like plain shanks.

DK :bigsmile:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like fancy shapes:
0.75 E-I1 marquise in a pendant
1.47 F-VS1 marquise in RHR
2.05 D-VS2 oval traded in for a
3.01 F-SI1 pear

I like high color diamonds F and above and will sacrifice clarity (SI1 or better) for it

I didn't mind paying for and waiting for a CTO CBI diamond (well maybe a little impatient at the end there) because I wanted the best performing diamond that I could afford

I don't follow trends (e.g. halos, warm colors, or antique cuts) but buy what I like

I didn't mind paying for a Tiffany Fancy Yellow diamond ring (knowing that I could have purchased it from a PS vendor for 30 - 50% less)

I don't mind buying a synthetic diamond when I can't afford a natural one - have a Chatham synthetic blue in a 3-stone ring.

I don't just shop for the lowest price but am loyal to Wink of HPD (have had a 10 year working relationship with him now).

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like to wear my standard pieces (ER/WB, RHR, tennis bracelet, Studs, pendant) - 24/7. In pools, hot tubs, cleaning house, scooping dog poo - you name it. When someone talked about bed linens scratching their metal prongs and wearing them down I thought "OMG - they should see what I do")! They'd die! (BTW person, I DO have very very high thread count sheets, if that helps at all........)!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
motownmama|1417825870|3796141 said:
I like to wear my standard pieces (ER/WB, RHR, tennis bracelet, Studs, pendant) - 24/7. In pools, hot tubs, cleaning house, scooping dog poo - you name it. When someone talked about bed linens scratching their metal prongs and wearing them down I thought "OMG - they should see what I do")! They'd die! (BTW person, I DO have very very high thread count sheets, if that helps at all........)!

You are my kind of lady as I do the same but don't have my two German Shepherds anymore.
Been told that chlorine can etch gold alloys so you might be careful there.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm the preloved expensive settings hoarder of P/S - I have expensive settings with nothing in them yet :lol: Also guilty of spending a bucket of money on new expensive settings "dressing up" a complete ring.

I'm over the high coloured low coloured stone debate. There are plenty of people on here that can afford either (me included) and I still own (shock horror to some of you apparently) mid coloured stones. Lots of people like white diamonds, I get that, some don't - lets all agree to disagree and get off our high horses about other people's personal choices. Similarly if people here want a D or an E and they understand and have their heart set on that lets not talk them out of it. I prefer modern cuts in high colours but appreciate old cuts in any colour.

Synthetic rubies are cool. So are synthetic spinels, many of them in antique pieces used to be more expensive than real stones, if they are in beautiful jewellery we should be allowed to show them off here.

Most of the time IRL I don't wear any jewellery. I've smashed a couple of diamonds (one against bricks, it cracked and literally fell apart while doing a demo wearing no gloves renovating) and I've damaged a heap of coloured stones. I love bling but I don't always have a lifestyle practical to wearing it.

I like to mix and match metals, at the moment it's in fashion, when it isn't I'll still be mixing and matching.

I love hearts in halos, and crushed ice disco ball radiants.

And my most controversial jewellery opinion - I hate Cartier Love bangles/bracelets, maybe it's a cultural thing I don't get, because the only people wearing them in Australia are the 20 somethings trying way too hard to be cool.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
"I don't mind a clarity enhanced stone (like I really want a carbon spot sucked out of my ring .. Or my Canary diamond which has been irradiated. You can go to Kay jewelery.....they now have diammonds in every color.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1417824205|3796124 said:
DF, I'll trade my 1.51 G VS2 Octavia for your 2.3 ct I VS2 Octavia any day. :whistle:

I guess that proves I'm a size queen too. :lol:
No, size whore!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
missy|1417822563|3796105 said:
swingirl|1417818475|3796046 said:
How do I say this in the positive...

I love jewelry. To buy, design, own, etc. But I prefer the feel on my body of being jewelry-free. In other words I don't like the feel of the stuff on my skin!

Haha, yes exactly. I love jewelry too and personally the bigger the diamond the better for me (in a ring) however I am sans jewelry when I am at home. I prefer wearing nothing on my hands/neck/ears/wrist when I am not out and about. I also change my clothes when I get home to one of my simple sleeveless (even in winter) tank dresses and clogs when I am home. I just enjoy being unencumbered and unadorned when I am at home.

That's me! Jewelry feels fine out but the minute I'm home, it feels like they're strangling me. I change into tank tops no matter what time of year, and we don't wear pants in this house. (underwear yes, bra no) I keep a pair of yoga pants by the door in case there's a delivery, but 99.9999% of the time we walk around in our underwear.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a well-cut 60/60 (for rings)!

I prefer high-color D/E/F!

I prize white light over fire!

I love plain shanks!

Diamonds are a journey, not a destination - you're never really "there" and a wrong turn is just another adventure!

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1417809229|3795912 said:
HI:

I love branded jewellery--Tiffany, etc--therefore I encourage, rather than dissuade posters from buying the same.

I prefer D colored IF stones, over size.

cheers--Sharon

Me too! I actually bought two new plain rose gold bands from cartier. :o :o :o the horror. I owned so many from e-wedding bands and trust me they are not the same. Lol.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
While oval is seldom seen on the forum, I like oval diamonds and hope to add one in my collection eventually.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I thought of some more.

I love platinum and will pay the extra for it on a ring nothing else though.

I like my diamonds especially for rings to be in the vs range.

I love a pretty setting and would buy a smaller diamond to be able to afford a fancy setting.

I would love a brown diamond.

I have been enjoying reading all the comments. (This opinion might be more popular :naughty: )

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I love very modern settings- tension, semi bezel, claude thibeau. No halo's, engraving or pave. I appreciate the beauty of the intricate settings posted here but don't like them on me.

After having had rings made in both WG and platinum I prefer shiny WG. I also love YG. I am foremost a step cut fan but am having a love affair with MRBs. I would far rather have multiple mid-price rings than one uber expensive ring. I love all types of square diamonds & would seriously consider a large princess cut diamond in the Sholdt semi-bezel. I would also like an AVC in a simple solitaire.
And a beautifully cut modern cushion in a solitaire. Doubt I'll ever have all three so I guess I'll eventually choose one. :devil:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer bezel setting over prongs/claws, and would bezel-set everything if I can.

I am not a fan of the marquise shape.

I love heart cut and ECs.

I love wider shank and shiny metal, 4mm or wider.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1417835554|3796222 said:
I prefer bezel setting over prongs/claws, and would bezel-set everything if I can.

See I said keep it positive. What you DO like vs what you don't.

Hurt mq lovers feelings, like poor little old me :lol:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought of another one.

I like trillions. I wish people would wear those on their own. A big puffy one in a halo, so cool.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1417836178|3796226 said:
dk168|1417835554|3796222 said:

See I said keep it positive. What you DO like vs what you don't.

Hurt mq lovers feelings, like poor little old me :lol:

Ha ha! How about I am not a fan of MRBs? :Up_to_something: :bigsmile:

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel,

Is this thread for diamonds only, or does it include CSs and pearls etc...?

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results