shape
carat
color
clarity

Large pearl pendant vs. smaller keshi necklace?

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I have trouble deciding between getting a large (14-15mm) white south sea pearl pendant or a necklace with smaller (8-9mm) white south sea keshi pearls...

I like the idea of the keshi pearls having solid nacre, but am not sure if it really matters in practice whether it's solid or not. This is my first pearl pendant/necklace, and I am trying to make sure I won't regret my decision... The keshi necklace is a few hundred dollars more (around $2k after discount).

The two pendants I like:

1_29.png
4_4.png

The keshi necklace I like:

8x9.jpg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Which do you think you will wear more often?

For me, I'd get the pendant. I also recommend a setting with at least one small diamond.

Don't forget the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales ... my credit card is warming up.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I actually rarely wear a pendant or necklace. I am hoping to wear them more often, and think a pendant might be easier to match my casual clothes. Though the keshi necklace doesn't look as formal as the perfectly round ones.

Do you think having some small diamond in the pendant will make it much easier to mix with other jewelry, like small diamond studs? Or is there a different reason for your recommendation?

I am gearing up for the holiday sales too! I just have to make up my mind. :D

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
If you don't usually wear pendants or necklaces, I'd recommend freshwater pearls. That way, if you don't wear them, you won't feel bad about the cost.

I just like diamonds with wSS. It's a nice pairing.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cookie, here's my bias. I think that if you are going to spend "big" money on pearls (which in my mind is anything in the thousand + range rather than in the hundreds), you should probably go for something classic that LOOKS like you spent big money. Unless you are a connoisseur of pearls, you are not likely to look at a keshi necklace and think that it is a high end piece. So for the same look, I'd suggest getting a baroque necklace, as you can get a WSS, a WSS/GSS mix, a Tahitian, or a Pelosi style strand with that kind of budget, and probably half of that budget too, depending on the strand. Or on the same website as the keshi strand there is a baroque grey akoya necklace for a 10th of the price. If I was buying for casual, that's the direction I would probably go. Either that, or I'd get a freshwater strand, which is typically much less of an investment if you are unsure whether or not you would wear whatever you get.

The pendants are nice too. Either one would be more casual than a classic round pearl strand.

Otherwise, if you want to spend $2K, I'd suggest looking at classic, higher end pearls. You can get a top quality 7.5 - 8mm akoya strand for that price, or for just a bit more you can go for one with a larger sized pearl. They are much more formal though.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I think a pendant is a more versatile choice. Would you consider using a smooth drop shaped pearl instead of a round pearl? I think the drop shape looks great as a pendant (or dangly earring), and it will cost a lot less than a round pearl of the same diameter. If you look at the loose WSS pearls on the PP website, a 14-15 mm diameter drop pearl is $290 and a 14-15 mm diameter round pearl is $1495. With the savings, you can buy a lovely metallic freshwater keshi strand from PP or Pearls of Joy, and still have money left over.

I have a 14.5 mm wide x 17 mm tall WSS drop pendant sent in white gold with one diamond. I wear it a lot, as it looks great with suits, sundresses and jeans. I often wear it with diamond stud earrings. I also have a lovely near round 14 mm x 14 mm WSS pendant, but it doesn't get as much wear because the elongated drop has more presence.

This is my WSS drop pendant:

img_6174.jpg

img_6175.jpg

img_6176.jpg

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your suggestions! Kay, I love your dangle earrings and pendant!

I consulted my husband over the weekend, and was surprised to find out that he prefers earring studs over dangles. No wonder all the earrings he bought me have been studs! He says that he doesn't really understand jewelry, but he knows what looks good on me, and he also thinks pearls should be round, LOL.

Anyway, with the husband's preferences in my mind, I took advantage of Pearl Paradise's Cyber Monday sale, and purchased a round 14-15mm white south sea pearl, along with a 3mm textured luna cable chain and the rope finding. I think this combo will be simple and casual enough for daily wear. :)

The luna chain:
http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-1464-luna-collection-white-south-sea-pearl-pendant.aspx

The rope finding:
http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-3421-140-150-mm-drop-lavender-quotedisonquot-freshwater-pearl-pendant.aspx

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations Cookie! It's great that your husband helped with the choice and that he likes certain styles on you! I'm sure you'll be thrilled with it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results