shape
carat
color
clarity

Where can I find moonstones?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not what the cat is seeking but I picked this up at a local craft fair today. Was sold it was "rainbow moonstone from India". But I think GIA says these aren't technically moonstones?

Inexpensive and obviously not fine gemstone quality but I thought this would make an interesting pendant for my bead work. (Picture is very dark and brown due to flash not being used).

rainbmoonstone.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thecat|1417341318|3792694 said:
Puppyguts, AGBF, thanks for the recommendations. :))

You're welcome, thecat. I know nothing about moonstones, although my best friend had some lovely moonstone jewelry she bought, already made, from a jeweler who designed his own pieces (Desires by Mikolay).

I visited Rick Martin's site after seeing this posting of yours just to see if he had any moonstones currently listed. (He did not.) I know he could source them for you easily. I did see these interesting stones, however. They have already been sold and are not, apparently, actually moonstones. For some of you who know stones of this type, these may be nothing new, but I was unfamiliar with them.

I will post a photo below. Here is the description. They are 1.70 carats TW and 6 x 8 mm. Their origin is India.

"Gem quality Rainbow Moonstone is a form of Labradorite that can produce beautiful visual effects similar but not identical to traditional moonstone. This beautiful matched pair of faceted stones displays a billow of blue along a single plane that moves as the stone does. The color is strong and the effect is hypnotizing. This pair is calibrated to 6 x 8 mm., very clean, with a total weight of 1.70 ct. June birthstone. (Some care, N)."

rainbowmoonstone.jpg

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
thecat|1417341231|3792693 said:
MJO|1417291471|3792404 said:
I have been collecting Oregon Sunstone for over 10 years. The latest find from the Butte Mine has some incredible colors. My favorite is a 9ct trilliant that changes colors between green, teal, red, orange and gold as it is rotated.

img_0018_1__1_.jpg

img_0027_1_.jpg

MJO, your collection is amazing!! Why don't you set some of them? Is it because they are too big to wear as pendants or rings?

Hi thecat,

No it's just because I collect the stones and find beauty in them and not the jewelery, I have a lot of stone and can't use them all. The only one I was thinking of was the 9ct trilliant.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Jeez, that is an impressive collection MJO. Thanks for sharing.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thecat: I hope you find your dream moonstone. I would love to see more of these on PS.

MJO: what an incredible collection you have. Truly amazing!!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is bouncing around like a volleyball in play! I'm sorry if I am contributing to thread chaos, but I keep trying to stick in any information that could, possibly, be useful to anyone who likes moonstones! These pieces of jewelry are very pricey, but there are certainly people on Pricescope with enough money to buy them. The pieces below were made by the jeweler from whom my friend bought her moonstone jewelry, Scott Mikolay.

scottmikolaymoonstoneearrings.jpg

scottmikolaymoonstonechandelierearrings.jpg

scottmikolaymoonstonebracelet.jpg

scottmikolaymoonstonenecklace.jpg

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lilmosun I have looked in many places and can't find the large drapey moonstone necklace I have. If I find it I will post a pic!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
lilmosun|1417380662|3792913 said:
Not what the cat is seeking but I picked this up at a local craft fair today. Was sold it was "rainbow moonstone from India". But I think GIA says these aren't technically moonstones?

Inexpensive and obviously not fine gemstone quality but I thought this would make an interesting pendant for my bead work. (Picture is very dark and brown due to flash not being used).

rainbmoonstone.jpg

Thanks for the photo, Lilmosun. :)) All these non-moonstone/simulant examples (opalite, your latest photo etc) are helpful in teaching me what are not moonstones so that I won't be misled into buying them. Please keep posting examples of moonstones and non-moonstones for my learning. I greatly appreciate them. :))

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1417381797|3792928 said:
thecat|1417341318|3792694 said:
Puppyguts, AGBF, thanks for the recommendations. :))

You're welcome, thecat. I know nothing about moonstones, although my best friend had some lovely moonstone jewelry she bought, already made, from a jeweler who designed his own pieces (Desires by Mikolay).

I visited Rick Martin's site after seeing this posting of yours just to see if he had any moonstones currently listed. (He did not.) I know he could source them for you easily. I did see these interesting stones, however. They have already been sold and are not, apparently, actually moonstones. For some of you who know stones of this type, these may be nothing new, but I was unfamiliar with them.

I will post a photo below. Here is the description. They are 1.70 carats TW and 6 x 8 mm. Their origin is India.

"Gem quality Rainbow Moonstone is a form of Labradorite that can produce beautiful visual effects similar but not identical to traditional moonstone. This beautiful matched pair of faceted stones displays a billow of blue along a single plane that moves as the stone does. The color is strong and the effect is hypnotizing. This pair is calibrated to 6 x 8 mm., very clean, with a total weight of 1.70 ct. June birthstone. (Some care, N)."

AGBF, I went to his site after seeing your recommendation and saw those too. But there's a rainbow moonstone to the left of the ones you showed (on his site) that's amazing! Too bad they're sold. I noticed that moonstone is priced from a few dollars (Etsy) to thousands (Barry has a rainbow one over $4000). So I'm not sure if I should ask vendors to source. I'd rather they have it in their inventory and I buy when I'm comfortable with the price and quality. As my budget doesn't allow a collector gem quality moonstone, I'm concerned I might not be satisfied with the quality of those sourced within my budget. I know somewhere along the way we recalibrate our budget/expectations as we learn more. Since I'm at the beginning of the learner stage, I prefer to buy from inventory first.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1417383069|3792959 said:
This thread is bouncing around like a volleyball in play! I'm sorry if I am contributing to thread chaos, but I keep trying to stick in any information that could, possibly, be useful to anyone who likes moonstones! These pieces of jewelry are very pricey, but there are certainly people on Pricescope with enough money to buy them. The pieces below were made by the jeweler from whom my friend bought her moonstone jewelry, Scott Mikolay.

AGBF, no worries about the bouncing or even thread jack. :)) In fact, I love them :appl: It's like everyone is putting in all info about moonstone into the thread for me to learn. It's way faster to learn this way, especially on the subject of moonstone simulant. So even though I ask about vendors, you're all welcome to share other info about moonstone. :wavey:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very curious to learn more about blue sheen moonstone and true rainbow moonstone (orthoclase) vs rainbow moonstone (labradorite), which type of moonstone is most valuable / popular, and what are the main differences in terms of consideration for buying such stones for jewelry purposes (obviously they are different type of feldspar but any tips when buying, e.g. which is valued more highly - blue moonstone or rainbow moonstone, and how to tell which is which when buying?)

Some people have posted photos of labradorite rainbow moonstone already on this thread, I'd like to add photos of what I was told was some blue sheen moonstone, for comparison/education purpose:
moonstone_on_black.jpg
hazy_sunlight_4.jpg
10831820_346157272234151_2036421811_n.jpg

Here is a photo of my rose cut rainbow moonstone earrings, for comparison, they are more colorful but not as translucent, the vendor called it "blue rainbow moonstone", I think it is the labradorite kind instead of orthoclase moonstone:
moonstone_earring.jpg

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1417408623|3793088 said:
I am very curious to learn more about blue sheen moonstone and true rainbow moonstone (orthoclase) vs rainbow moonstone (labradorite), which type of moonstone is most valuable / popular, and what are the main differences in terms of consideration for buying such stones for jewelry purposes (obviously they are different type of feldspar but any tips when buying, e.g. which is valued more highly - blue moonstone or rainbow moonstone, and how to tell which is which when buying?)

Some people have posted photos of labradorite rainbow moonstone already on this thread, I'd like to add photos of what I was told was some blue sheen moonstone, for comparison/education purpose:
moonstone_on_black.jpg
hazy_sunlight_4.jpg

Here is a photo of my rose cut rainbow moonstone earrings, for comparison, they are more colorful but not as translucent, the vendor called it "blue rainbow moonstone", I think it is the labradorite kind instead of orthoclase moonstone:
moonstone_earring.jpg

Would love to learn too as I thought there's only blue sheen moonstone, and that rainbow means a few streaks of color in the blue. I didn't know they are different types of gems. So puzzling.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1417408623|3793088 said:

moonstone_on_black.jpg
hazy_sunlight_4.jpg

moonstone_earring.jpg

Just wanted to correct myself after double checking with the vendor -- the earrings are orthoclase rainbow moonstone, not labradorite, from Sri Lanka.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I second the recommendations for ACS and Heart of Water. I have moonstones from both of these vendors.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results