shape
carat
color
clarity

ice trays for thin ice?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Long story short- pregnancy gives me pica.

Yes Im fine, no I am not anemic thank goodness.

my refrigerator does not have an ice maker, but I am jonesing for ice the way people jones for cigs....

Thick ice is hard to chew, and bad for your teeth. You need relatively thin, cloudy ice to be good for chewing.

I could fill my ice trays very thin, but I only have so many slots, and the time it would take to eat vs the time it would take to make would be too crazy.

does anyone know of any ice trays out there that can make a number of thin ice cubes, well, I guess ice cuboid?

Give me two months and this will pass, it did with my last pregnancy, so I don't wanna spend any money on an ice maker. But its gotten to the point I go to gas stations or drive thoughs just for ice, and I don't particularly love that.

Thanks all.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about some little mint or candy trays?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1417397961|3793035 said:
What about some little mint or candy trays?
Like what do you mean? I'm having trouble imagining.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about freezing a flavored water like Propel or ICE (I like these zero calorie beverages in several different flavors).

kitsunegrl

Rough_Rock
When I have this, I buy the bags of ice from the gas station and store it in my chest freezer. It lasts a few days. At my worst, I was crunching through three bags a week. I had anemia and apparently the ice had some trace minerals I needed. :confused:

jess719

Shiny_Rock
Could you put some of the big ones in for a quick zap in the food processor?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kitsunegrl|1417411786|3793120 said:
When I have this, I buy the bags of ice from the gas station and store it in my chest freezer. It lasts a few days. At my worst, I was crunching through three bags a week. I had anemia and apparently the ice had some trace minerals I needed. :confused:
We don't have a drop freezer, though we are getting one shortly. I think I might have to, as I know sonic will sell you ice - and they have the best ice!
I just had my glucose test, and I had mentioned this to my doctor. They said they also check my iron at that time too, and nothing was wrong. So ita not anemia but I'm bad like you were. My office has an oce machine at work and I go though a few glasses a day

jess719 said:
Could you put some of the big ones in for a quick zap in the food processor?

That's my current solution but surprisingly it doesn't work as well as you would think. The ice is still clear and hard to crunch, just smaller and watery after the blend.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel,

Did you see this?
http://ask.metafilter.com/234582/How-to-make-the-softest-most-chewable-ice

Here is a summary of the article:

Hello again! Back with results.

I bought small ice trays and tried them out with 4 methods. Here's what happened:

1. Plain tap water in tray, frozen straight through: Normal, hard ice
2. Plain tap water in tray, frozen halfway, shaken, then frozen again: Normal, hard ice (that was also harder to dislodge)
3. Perrier water in tray, frozen straight through: More chewy/cloudy than the first tries
4. Sparkling water in tray, frozen straight through: The chewiest and cloudiest

None of these options were as good as the bags of ice I ended up buying at Sonic, but option 4 will serve just find during the times when he or I don't feel like going to buy Sonic ice.

Try #4, it might work. Makes sense since you would be freezing water with gases in it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll try number 4 thanks!
I have one of those water carbonators. So should be easy to try. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neil I had picca a while back. I'd use a mallet (like a big rubber hammer) to crush the ice from my regular ice cube trays. Worked like a charm and the pounded on something was good for my stress.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results