shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: How did you build your diamond collection?

How did you build your diamond collection (not including wedding ring)?

• Gift from spouse/partner

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Gift from parents

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Purchased yourself

Votes: 45 76.3%
  • Gift from friend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Family heirloom

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters

rocksjust4me

Rough_Rock
I am wondering if everyone has generous spouses/family or if you treat yourself for the majority of your pieces.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I had family diamonds, but no, I buy for myself. My daughter will have LOTS of family diamonds!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1417294547|3792423 said:
I wish I had family diamonds, but no, I buy for myself. My daughter will have LOTS of family diamonds!

Ditto. The only family diamond for my family was my grandmother's ring which my mom (as the oldest of her siblings) has. I don't know if she plans to give it to my older brother or I at some point to pass on to our kids. She has never mentioned it, and I dare not ask, as I know she still misses my Grandmom incredibly, even still after 13 years since her passing. But I have quite a few for my daughter, so it's all good. :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Find a rich "sugar daddy"... :wink2:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of my jewelry purchases are by myself. I'll save my money and buy what I like. A few have been combined with what would have been "gift" money for special occasions so they are technically joint purchases. My Mother will also still buy me jewelry and I will inherit most of hers. In reality it's a mixed bag.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is a blend, hubby bought me some and I bought myself some.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mostly I buy bits and pieces for myself, although nothing hugely expensive. I did inherit some, but no, mainly it's from me to me. :)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I had family diamonds....

I would like to expand on this sage pronouncement. I also wish I had sterling silver family tea and coffee services. In the threads in which we have discussed these, I have felt quite sorry for myself. Some women have so many that they do not know what to do with them all! I did not inherit even one!

I do thank my mother for leaving my brother and me an heirloom set of Georg Jensen sterling silver flatware (as well as a bit of Georg Jensen sterling silver jewelry) so that I do not have to feel that I was wholly (as the late Princess of Wales put it) "one of those people who had to buy his silver". ;))

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
I purchase the jewelry, but typically involve hubby since these purchases are high ticket items for us.
We need to be on the same page.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1417300138|3792464 said:

I would like to expand on this sage pronouncement. I also wish I had sterling silver family tea and coffee services. In the threads in which we have discussed these, I have felt quite sorry for myself. Some women have so many that they do not know what to do with them all! I did not inherit even one!

I do thank my mother for leaving my brother and me an heirloom set of Georg Jensen sterling silver flatware (as well as a bit of Georg Jensen sterling silver jewelry) so that I do not have to feel that I was wholly (as the late Princess of Wales put it) "one of those people who had to buy his silver". ;))

Don't feel bad, I did not inherit any family diamonds either. Was hoping to get my mother's ring but my sister keeps it locked up in a safe somewhere (she doesn't wear jewelry). I didn't get any family silver or china either (my niece got all of it). It still pains me today to think about what my mother did with her multi-million dollar estate and how four children were left out in favor of one daughter. The cut to order CBI diamond that I recently bought from Wink is a treat to myself to lessen the pain.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I found PS when I was toying with the idea of getting an upgraded wedding set. Once I achieved that goal, I discovered I needed lots of other goodies: studs, pendants, bands, a bracelet :naughty: All have been purchased by me, but I did let my DH know :))

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I choose my own stuff, and buy together with DH. And no family jewels to speak of.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1417306389|3792517 said:
AGBF|1417300138|3792464 said:

Don't feel bad, I did not inherit any family diamonds either. Was hoping to get my mother's ring but my sister keeps it locked up in a safe somewhere (she doesn't wear jewelry). I didn't get any family silver or china either (my niece got all of it). It still pains me today to think about what my mother did with her multi-million dollar estate and how four children were left out in favor of one daughter. The cut to order CBI diamond that I recently bought from Wink is a treat to myself to lessen the pain.

Gee...I don't know whether I'd feel better or worse if there had been family coffee and tea services but they had been left to other people! I will have to ponder that one tonight before I go to sleep!

We had no multi-million dollar estate to divide, so who got all the diamonds was a moot question!

I am sorry you were cheated, however. I hate family greed!!!

Hugs,
(((Cheryl)))
Deb

rocksjust4me

Rough_Rock
I thought I was alone in buying things for myself...I personally have no problem with buying something for myself....my daughter can always have it. I love jewelry and my husband thinks it is a waste of money. I read all the posts and I was wondering are all these jewels coming from generous spouses.

rocksjust4me

Rough_Rock
Dancing Fire|1417296267|3792436 said:
Find a rich "sugar daddy"... :wink2:

LOL. My friend has a sugar daddy and her jewelry collection really appreciates it!!

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I started and continue to add to it and DH has also given me a couple of pieces too!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a very generous DH who lets me pick out my bling pieces. Oh, and thank goodness for upgrade policies!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine were mainly gifts from my husband, but as our money is essentially merged you might say that I've bought most pieces myself (and I tell him either before or after the purchases, depending on the amounts, he he :naughty: ;)) ).

Re gifts from parents, I did inherit several pieces from my dearly departed mother, who also gave me a few pieces while she was alive. I've given most away to my sister and her daughters. Alas, I think most of these pieces have now been given away or sold off by them. :nono: ;( . Actually, just now, I wrote my niece (whom I'm quite close to) an email asking if she'd ask her mother (my sister) and her sister to sell a matching pair of OEC's back to me. I hope they still have them.

One of my eternity rings has 5 diamonds given to me by my mum, which I treasure very much. I also have some yellow gold jewellery from her, which I'm planning to have melted down and re-made into an engraved bangle (as and when I can find someone to do this).

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
3.7 tcw diamond earrings - "gift" from my MIL as we didn't have an ER to show off to her friends. Technically, my hubby did "buy" them from her as he loaned her a ton of money leading up to our wedding.

2 ct wedding band - bought by hubby as a 2 in 1 ER/WB

3.55 OEC - my belated ER after moving from another country, leaving my friends and family, being wed for 3.5 yrs, gave birth to his child and bought a house together. Actually, I was suffering from post partem depression and was so depressed over the rings that all the new moms in my mommy-and-me class were sporting that one night, I bought 2 cushions from GOG without telling my hubby. I returned both and my DH (knowing that I was getting restless and didn't want to see another "mysterious" 45k wire transfer), brought home the OEC from his friend's shop. I felt so guilty that I put it away in the safe for 4 years and only "re-discovered" it 2 years ago!

3 ctw OEC earring/pendant set - bought with funds after selling the condo I owned before DH.

OEC re-set - paid for by funds from selling stocks I owned before DH.

1.21 ct ring with pave. Center stone was my late father's which was given to me when I got engaged. I paid for the setting myself and wore it as my "ER" at my wedding. My MIL (at my rehearsal dinner) took one look at it and said "oh how cute, a yellow diamond!". It reduced me to tears (it was an "I" and had some tint compared to the D/E/F pave).

Assorted high karat gold and jade pieces gifted by my mother and my Chinese relatives.

I'm a stay at home mom with no income so I have to be creative in order to fund my purchases. I don't anticipate my hubby buying any more jewelry for me other than watches so everything henceforth will be self-purchased. For some reason, I keep getting art instead of jewelry for my birthday and major events (push gifts). Not sure why. For my 40th this year I spent hours at Cartier and even gave my hubby the Cartier SA's card written with my sizes in various pieces. I got a wall-sized piece of art instead. Even though I love the piece, I can only look at it when I'm at home. I'd rather have a piece of art that I can wear. Someone needs to tell my husband as our 10th anniversary is coming up.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine are mostly self funded and purchased. I tell DH about them and often ask his advice but I earn my own money and save up for things. I do worry slightly that I am collecting lots of smallish pieces and should maybe save up for longer for bigger pieces. It's just when items get beyond a certain price level I feel a bit guilty!! I'm trying to get some discipline and aim for something amazing for my next big birthday in 18 months. I'd love a sizeable ACA for a pendant or a bigger OEC for a ring.

NTave

Shiny_Rock
I have bought the majority of my very small collection myself. Its taken a long time to get to the point where I felt comfortable spending some money on myself on luxurious items. I'll never be a big roller, but I love my pieces and adore looking for new items and dreaming..

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd just change a letter to: husbands :)

and I bought one piece myself.

rocksjust4me|1417291289|3792403 said:
I am wondering if everyone has generous spouses/family or if you treat yourself for the majority of your pieces.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Everything aside from my wedding set I have bought myself.

I have inherited no family items of any kind, and expect not to either. So I'm building my own collections of whatever feels important to me.

I've worked hard to build a good career where I can afford to do this. Although having three children has impacted how much I spend and when.

Anne

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I have picked out and purchased everything I own myself. I do not trust hubby's jewelry taste and never encouraged him to shop for it, although he gives me the 100% go-ahead to buy what I want. So when I am in the mood and have the extra money, I buy what I like.

My collection is pretty modest, though, with mostly small purchases (under $5K). My upgrade ering was the biggie and I don't have an interest in any more expensive pieces since I am retired and other than Costco, have no place to go dressed up!

No inherited jewels.

Before my mother passed away she gave my brother her diamond ring and I her mink coats!! Wall art doesn't sound so bad now, does it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results