clarity

Please Show Me Your Emeralds

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Very dark in direct sun :think:

_23970.jpg

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Zambian emerald. 2.15 carats. Very thin cut, probably why it chipped when it popped out if my tweezers :doh:

_23971.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
soberguy said:
Can't remember exact weight, near 5 carats. Purchased several years ago at a gem show. North facing window light. Great color, but an inclusion the entire width of the stone reaches the surface. Obviously I couldn't have afforded it had it been perfect.

Beautiful emerald soberguy. If it captures so nicely in photos it must be a knockout IRL....
Do you have approximate measurements? 5ct is quite heavy and I'm curious how big it faces up. How do you plan on setting it?

How annoying about the chipped 2.15ct ;( I hope it's not too bad. Which one do you think has more attractive colour to you?

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Oh dear. It's around 10x8x7.5 It's very deep.

_23973.jpg

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer bluish green to yellow green. So the first.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the info. :)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1415432552|3779606 said:
It looks beautiful. :twirl: . The GemBrief will probably cost you $100, with shipping, which is worth it for the piece of mind.

I know the feeling of being lazy about sending things to AGL. It was several years before I sent my first major gem purchase, but the high I got from knowing it was untreated was great. Think about how good you will feel if the treatment is minimal (which is okay for emerald in my book)! Or how good you feel to know it is uber treated and you can return it! After doing it once, I have no longer felt as much inertia to submit things. It can be hard to part with our pretties, but it's worth it.

Emeralds are not as dense as diamonds or sapphires, so they face up larger compared to these.

I think TL has commented on what treatments are okay (to her) for emeralds. I don't know where to find the info right now.

AGL just called with the verbal.

Minor treatment/Modern

I know resin (assuming that is what modern means) isn't preferred to some folks but she assured me that it was perfectly acceptable and she considered it a very nice emerald worth keeping. I'm am very happy given it was much more affordable than anything else that ticked my fancy :)

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
lilmosun|1417038018|3790881 said:
pregcurious|1415432552|3779606 said:
It looks beautiful. :twirl: . The GemBrief will probably cost you $100, with shipping, which is worth it for the piece of mind.

I know the feeling of being lazy about sending things to AGL. It was several years before I sent my first major gem purchase, but the high I got from knowing it was untreated was great. Think about how good you will feel if the treatment is minimal (which is okay for emerald in my book)! Or how good you feel to know it is uber treated and you can return it! After doing it once, I have no longer felt as much inertia to submit things. It can be hard to part with our pretties, but it's worth it.

Emeralds are not as dense as diamonds or sapphires, so they face up larger compared to these.

I think TL has commented on what treatments are okay (to her) for emeralds. I don't know where to find the info right now.

AGL just called with the verbal.

Minor treatment/Modern

I know resin (assuming that is what modern means) isn't preferred to some folks but she assured me that it was perfectly acceptable and she considered it a very nice emerald worth keeping. I'm am very happy given it was much more affordable than anything else that ticked my fancy :)

That is good to hear. Fyi, not all resins are bad. ExCel is sometimes preferred over oiling now.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="LoversKites|That is good to hear. Fyi, not all resins are bad. ExCel is sometimes preferred over oiling now.[/quote]

Thanks LoversKites and pregcurious for pushing me to not procrastinate in sending to AGL. I did breath a sigh of relief knowing I didn't overpay since it was a total impulse buy. I asked the AGL person if there was any concern about the stability of the treatment used and was told "absolutely not". I was told it was a very nice emerald compared to many they see. At the end of the day, I didn't pay a premium from what I can see as far as emeralds are concern (given the subsantial setting and clarity/color). I bought it because I loved everything about the ring and with help from the vendor, who knows me well, it fit my budget. She could've opted to sell it to another vendor who was also looking at it that day but held it for me. Knowing the treatment on it was minor (I probably would've still kept if moderate) was a bonus.

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
lilmosun said:
Was at the Intergem show today...Don't know much about emeralds but given the setting was fairly substantial (18k, .90 ctw diamonds, 6.42 grams), it seemed like not too much of a risk. Also, the stone faces up more like 1.5 carats for a CS while sold as 1.01..not sure if that is typical for an emerald. The stone also seems nicer than anything I ever thought would be in my price range so I had to buy it

That is a beautiful ring, Lilmosun!
Great color on the emerald and it is even throughout.
Nice symmetry and balance of the emerald to the multiple diamonds. Thinking the side profile must be very nice as well!

And smart of you to calculate the potential amount for the 18K and diamonds. You are a quick study as many fall in love with the gem and never get as far as including the ring setting itself into the calculation when deciding upon a purchase.
Is this your first emerald? You did wonderfully well!
Congratulations!

_24720.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lilmosun,
You got a fabulous deal on that emerald, it's beautiful, and what a great ring Enjoy!!

Great thread, so full of my favorite gemstone, such beauties here.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the nice words JewelPhenom and TL. This is my first and probably last nice emerald. Always loved the color but always perceived them to be out of my budget and impractical. But I loved the ring and the seller worked to make it affordable. Still I wasn't looking for one (so just went with my eye and gut) and was freaking big time afterwards at what I had just bought/done. So the positive thoughts from folks here who know the market better (along with the confirmation of an AGL report) do mean a lot.

But going forward, I will live vicariously through the pictures of the beauties owned by others on this thread :)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even though I've been on a ban, I find myself really, really, wanting a Muzo emerald ring after going through this older thread. Maybe next year... :naughty:

In the meantime I would like to add the emeralds that I do have:

Columbian emerald pendant (rose gold)
emerald_pendant_1.jpg

African emerald and Burmese ruby earrings (yellow gold)
uploadfromtaptalk1422452466182.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mochiko those carved earrings are amazing!! May I ask where you found the emeralds for them? Carved stones have always fascinated me, but I've never found one that was exactly right. Those are great in terms of proportions and the combo with the rubies is perfection :love:

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
This is an evil, evil thread. Every single piece and stone on it is stunning.

OTL, your ring is beyond beautiful. I hope you wear and stare at it all day.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a bit like Dory from Finding Nemo, as I can see something absolutely beautiful, comment on it, and a week later see it and comment on it again like I've never seen it before! Anyway, Mochiko, forgive me if I've already commented on your pendant. It is stunning. It looks like it glows like its LED lights - I can only imagine what it must be like when you wear it. Beautiful.

OTL and others - very nice emeralds. :))

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
ilovegemstones, your ring is mesmerizing. It really does glow.

What is the origin of the emeralds?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ilovegemstones, I big-puffy-heart your 5-stone ring from Yvonne. Those emeralds are spectacular. Do you get comments on it when you wear it? :naughty: Yvonne has a good eye for color overall, but she really knows how to pick that glowy, ever-so-slightly bluish green color that I just adore in emeralds.

lovedogs, Sally already had the carved emerald rounds in her inventory (ilovegemstones is right -- Sally originally had 3 emeralds, one oval and two rounds. The oval went into a ring, while the rounds went into this pair of earrings). There's a story about how I ended up with these earrings, as originally I asked her for pear shaped emeralds for dangly earrings, but due to various reasons I ended up with these ruby and emerald gumdrop earrings instead. I posted a thread with more photos a while back. :)

OTL, I saw your ring on SMTB and meant to comment on it sooner, but thank you for posting it here. That is one heck of an emerald. It is the perfect forest green, and the glow! I can only imagine what it looks like in person. I love the setting too. The claw prongs are TDF! It's a pity that your jeweler is not available for orders. :D

minous, thank you for your kind comments. It is very difficult to photograph the true color and glow of emeralds. I've tried many times but I just can't seem to do it! :( This pendant is one of my very favorite pieces. (Actually, all of the pieces I've purchased from Yvonne are among my favorites because she has such a great eye for color.)

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Freezing and Mochiko! The origin is Columbia and they were lightly oiled. My uncle buys really expensive jewelry and my aunt has a huge emerald 3 stone. I pointed out the glow of these to them recently and they were stunned. People don't really notice it on there own but I don't have any gem loving friends around here.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ILG: I agree - your ring is brilliant and glowy. Love it.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I came in to post my own emerald ring from Yvonne yesterday but changed my mind (temporarily) when I saw ilovegemstones posts, bc we have the same style ring :)

But then I decided that I'm going to post it anyway, bc why not, right?

I saw "my" ring on her site and bought it right away - I had to have it, I'd been looking for something just like it for awhile. I think I made the right choice! Lightly oiled for storage purposes, no other treatment, Colombian. Sizes 3 mm,4 mm, and center is 5 mm.

I'll post a couple of Yvonne's pics bc they're good ones, but yesterday I took a few interesting ones. It was gray and overcast and I was wearing my ring - looked down and it was this crazy green color, my first thought was nuclear green. It looked beautiful!! I don't know why but somehow the lighting conditions were just right. I snapped a few pics, but they don't show the glow as well, just the beautiful deeper green color.

Also mochiko - I know I've complimented your Yvonne pendant before but I so love it, I almost bought it too!! It's so beautiful. Your carved emerald earrings are also very special, I greatly admire them too :)

_34948.jpg

_34949.jpg

_34950.jpg

_34951.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The green on those emeralds is SO AMAZING! The glow seems spectacular, and they are exactly nuclear green :) So happy you posted this ring!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it sure seems that Yvonne knows good stones! Love your ring too, Kath.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Lovedogs and Minous - thank you both. I felt a bit silly about posting it, but I really do think they're gorgeous emeralds, so I thought - who cares, may as well :). They're the nicest I've personally seen IRL, although small - I tend to prefer quality over size, while working within my budget.

ETA - just to be clear - it's not that I wouldn't want a big giant beautiful emerald!! It's just not anything I'll be getting anytime soon, lol.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Lovedogs, Minous and NKOTB!
And, Katharath, don't feel silly! I had to get mine after seeing yours! They really are that unbelievable in person. Makes me really
want to see a glowy paraiba in person one day!
I am not sick of pics of any of your rings NKOTB!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results