shape
carat
color
clarity

Where can I find moonstones?

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have no idea if moonstones can be treated. But I want a natural blue and transparent one for a pendant. May I know of reliable vendors for such a gem? Need not be collector gem quality. I also have no idea how moonstones are priced. Is there any guideline?

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Thecat I don't know about determining quality aside from the glow...you might want to check barry bridgestock site. He had a moonstone and may have others not listed. He seems to price stones at a fair price.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sally at Heart of Water can source moonstones for jewelry projects and she has in the past on request also sold loose stones. She has great access to suppliers of good quality blue and rainbow moonstones (both cabs and rose cuts).

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wordie, Mochiko, thanks for your reply. :))

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
PS has moonstone fever these days! Count me among the afflicted!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
It's really interesting when a gemstone suddenly becomes popular on PS. A few weeks ago there were lots of threads about Montana sapphires. Now moonstone. OP, I hope you find your moonstone!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thecat|1417186651|3791686 said:
I have no idea if moonstones can be treated.

They are often fracture filled. As far as I know, there are no synthetic, but they are simulated with heated synthetic spinel, or synthetic opal, or "opalite" (a milky glass with some blue in it) or even with plastic.

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
multicolour.com always have some

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1417220533|3792069 said:
They are often fracture filled. As far as I know, there are no synthetic, but they are simulated with heated synthetic spinel, or synthetic opal, or "opalite" (a milky glass with some blue in it) or even with plastic.

I have an opalite piece that was sold to me as moonstone. I had never seen a nice moonstone so was taken by the blue glow. While I didn't pay much for it, it was very disappointing when I realized it was glass.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lilmosun|1417238532|3792168 said:

I have an opalite piece that was sold to me as moonstone. I had never seen a nice moonstone so was taken by the blue glow. While I didn't pay much for it, it was very disappointing when I realized it was glass.

From what I hear, and I could be wrong, opalite isn't a very good simulant if you've seen nice real moonstones in person. Did the blue sheen roll around the stone, like it was floating in there?

As for fracture filling and reconstituted moonstone, here's a GIA page on it. The samples look really cloudy though. I wonder if it's as prevalent on very clean material.

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FGGArticleDetail&cid=1355958213432&pagename=GST%2FDispatcher

Here's a short GIA video, and notice how the blue adularescence floats in the gem, and when you look at the bottom of the gem, it's even more noticeable at a certain tilt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7akovqGNMc

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1417238864|3792171 said:
From what I hear, and I could be wrong, opalite isn't a very good simulant if you've seen nice real moonstones in person. Did the blue sheen roll around the stone, like it was floating in there?

No, it isn't a good simulant at all and I realized it as soon as I saw some of the real moonstones here. I bought it at one of those small shops that has cabinets of vintage costume and semi-precious stone jewelry. I didn't think to question it because I didn't think moonstones were expensive and didn't realize simulants existed. I now may just use it as a center piece for some beadwork I do as a hobby as its a pretty pendant but definitely not close to a real moonstone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lilmosun|1417239529|3792175 said:

No, it isn't a good simulant at all and I realized it as soon as I saw some of the real moonstones here. I bought it at one of those small shops that has cabinets of vintage costume and semi-precious stone jewelry. I didn't think to question it because I didn't think moonstones were expensive and didn't realize simulants existed. I now may just use it as a center piece for some beadwork I do as a hobby as its a pretty pendant but definitely not close to a real moonstone.

I still haven't seen the synthetic spinel simulant, but I hear it's not a very realistic simulant either. Here's an opalite necklace in case anyone is wondering what it looks like.

opalite6_1_.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep..that's what mine looks like...also telling is that it is inclusion free (it's a very large piece) except for a few small bubbles visible when louped...another telltale sign :)

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha! I have that same necklace but with real moonstones that I bought 20 years ago in India!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1417200469|3791772 said:

I've had moonstone fever for three years and only just received mine yesterday!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1417276042|3792280 said:

Oh how exciting and the search will make it even more special. I wish I had the will power to wait for what I want. Will you post a picture?

ilovegemstones - your necklace must be stunning on :)

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Moonstone and other feldspars are gorgous ( no - not the one starting with an "a")

http://www.gahk.org/journal/2008/Moonstone.pdf

But difficult to seperate.

I have a beautiful one (labradorite) - colorless and eyeclean with a pinkorange shine...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
You have to wait a bit - my camera ( old Nikon Coolpix) died - will get a new one soon!!!

I purchased this stone around 15 - 20 years ago - a vendor offered completly colorless and inclusionfree cabs with green, golden and other shine - me stupid bought only this gem with a padparadscha like shine - never seen this quality again.

If anybody here has more information please share.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have been collecting Oregon Sunstone for over 10 years. The latest find from the Butte Mine has some incredible colors. My favorite is a 9ct trilliant that changes colors between green, teal, red, orange and gold as it is rotated.

img_0018_1__1_.jpg

img_0027_1_.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
MJO|1417291471|3792404 said:
I have been collecting Oregon Sunstone for over 10 years. The latest find from the Butte Mine has some incredible colors. My favorite is a 9ct trilliant that changes colors between green, teal, red, orange and gold as it is rotated.

img_0018_1__1_.jpg

img_0027_1_.jpg

Awesome!!!!! :love:

Wonderful - and the red are all from Oregon??? WOW!!!

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes they are all Oregon Sunstone. The greens are mainly from the Butte Mine and the Reds are from Plush. I have a few others as well including a 41ct multicolor carved by Dalan Hargrave and 41+ct shell carved by Will Cox.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Womderful collection!!!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back to the original topic: I would also trust Rick Martin as a vendor. I never bought moonstone from him, but I did buy an opal and a Stuller setting with two small diamonds. I was most satisfied and trust his expertise with gemstones. I tend to buy my diamonds from the bigger Pricescope diamond vendors because I have longstanding relationships with some of them, but I think Rick would be a great person to find a special semi-precious stone! I would go back to him in a flash.

Deb/AGBF

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sorry about going off topic. You are right Ricky has been a PS member and been very helpful as long as I can remember. I would trust him completely.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

LoversKites|1417213183|3791939 said:
It's really interesting when a gemstone suddenly becomes popular on PS. A few weeks ago there were lots of threads about Montana sapphires. Now moonstone. OP, I hope you find your moonstone!

Elliot86 said:

I was browsing Barry's site when his white moonstone just grabbed me. I really like that one despite it not having the blue glow. But his moonstone will not fit into any standard stock setting that I can find on Stuller. Too long as compared to width. Custom is costly when the gem is relatively cheap. So I'm trying to find blue glowy moonstone in standard size now.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
thecat|1417186651|3791686 said:
I have no idea if moonstones can be treated.

Thanks for the info, TL. :)) I will buy from a reliable vendor who can tell me if a moonstone is fractured filled then. I was hoping moonstone is one of those gems that there's no simulant/treatment.

Lilmosun, TL, thanks for the info on opalite.:)) I saw many moonstones that look like opalite on Etsy. Maybe they really are opalite. :confused: :confused:

lilmosun said:

TL said:
lilmosun|1417239529|3792175 said:

I still haven't seen the synthetic spinel simulant, but I hear it's not a very realistic simulant either. Here's an opalite necklace in case anyone is wondering what it looks like.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ilovegemstones|1417272240|3792267 said:
Haha! I have that same necklace but with real moonstones that I bought 20 years ago in India!
Show us your necklace!

Marlow said:
Moonstone and other feldspars are gorgous ( no - not the one starting with an "a")

http://www.gahk.org/journal/2008/Moonstone.pdf

But difficult to seperate.

I have a beautiful one (labradorite) - colorless and eyeclean with a pinkorange shine...

Thanks for sharing, Marlow. :))

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
MJO|1417291471|3792404 said:

img_0018_1__1_.jpg

img_0027_1_.jpg

MJO, your collection is amazing!! Why don't you set some of them? Is it because they are too big to wear as pendants or rings?

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Puppyguts, AGBF, thanks for the recommendations. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results