shape
carat
color
clarity

Rose cut diamond or moissanite old european cut?

Which Center Stone for Vintage 3-Stone Ring?

• Rose Cut Natural Diamond

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Moissy Forever Brilliant Old European Cut

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
I have a beautiful three-stone setting and I'm wondering which type of center stone to get: rose cut natural diamond or moissanite old european cut? The reason is financial for now. They are close in price, although the rose cut is a bit more, but certainly much cheaper than a natural RB. I am looking at 6.5 mm stone. The setting is tulip prong with a melee encrusted basket. There are two small G round brilliants, one on either side, at .20 each. So, it's a three-stone look. When finances agree, I would upgrade the stone most likely to a natural diamond OEC.

I really like the old-world look. The ring definitely has a vintage feel, so I don't think the cuts would feel out of place despite the small RB's next to the center. But, of course, I'm willing to hear the good, bad and the ugly from anyone willing to share. ;))

I love Megan Thorne's jewelry, which inspired me to look at the rose cuts. I'm intrigued by the moissanite stones due to the beautiful pics I've seen and the cost-effectiveness for the time being. Thanks for helping!

~ Sparkly Soprano

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
Just as an FYI, I don't think you're allowed to discuss moissanite (or CZs, etc.) on these forums so unfortunately I don't think you'll find much help here. Good luck with your decision!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An OEC and rose cut are totally different in looks and how they sparkle.
OEC has a high crown and gives off large facet flashes.
Rose cut has no pavilion; it has a totally flat base but all the material is on top (the crown). It is also a leaky diamond of sorts where due to the faceting style, lets you see through the stone (right down to your finger or the metal setting underneath) unless you add a back plate. Not that due to the base, your setting will have to be reworked to accommodate a rose cut diamond.
Moissanite is a totally different stone type where there tends to be a green tint.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't know how common this would be to find. I picked up a ring off ebay with rose cut pear? side stones, the ring is stamped 18 carat gold and date letter 1901 and
the rosecuts have been fitted into the setting so it is original to the ring, but the centre stone an oec with a huge culet is not as the seller thought it was a better color. The rose cuts are dark, the pears have like rounded ends not cut to a point to more a rounded wide v shape. However they are not see through and when I look from underneath there is a slight bottom to the stones and they are faceted underneath. I have read about briollette cut but they are definitely more stone on top than pavillion side. I love the ring. . Look a bit like that famous stone which is a briollette, think it is the Sancy diamond.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is not huge the seller thought 0.70 carat for all three and the centre is larger but the pears look a good size too.

So maybe all rose cuts are not just flat and see through. Maybe my ring is unusual it was from ebay UK and cost me £400. The pears have many triangular shapes and look chunky so definitely not see through. Will have to get a photo.

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, everyone! First, let me say I don't wish to offend anyone by posting about Moissanites vs. Diamonds. I'm new to the forum as a poster, although I've been finding it helpful from time to time for about a year now.

Second, thanks for the advice from Chrono and Pyramid. I didn't realize the rose cut would require alternation. Great to know! :)

Now I'm torn between setting an aquamarine for now (my birthstone), an OEC (natural diamond), or a sapphire. I'm leaning towards the OEC but some unexpected expenses are coming up. If I have any luck, I will go for the OEC I think. But, do you think it would look a little odd next to round brilliant sides? I'm thinking it would be OK due to the vintage looking feel the setting has. And the sides are about .2/.25 so they are not large.

Pyramid, please post those pics. I love the pear stone and would love to see your rose cut beauty.

Happy T-Day!
SS

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally speaking, I think an OEC would look a little "odd" flanked by RBs. I would be more apt to flank an OEC with colored stones vs an entirely different cut diamond, but that's just me. If your heart is in an old cut center, is trading out the sides for colored stones an option?

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that. The setting is a new purchase so it probably wouldn't be financially prudent to trade the sides at this point. Thanks for your advice on the look. I was thinking it might look a little off. Maybe someday I can find an antique ring with an OEC? ;))

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I voted OEC...even if not real it will be cheaper (great for those on a budget) since you are going to replace it. I think it will look fine with two RB's as side stones. Most people won't know the diff. anyway. Maybe later you will find your dream antique ring and sell this one instead of replacing the center stone.

Go with your budget is my opinion.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
not sure if we can vote right without seeing pictures of your setting.
and do you have a budget? you said you have a limited budget but we dont know the exact budget.
if you provide us your budget and photos of your setting and dimensions i'm sure we can make more informed suggestions/recommendations.
it's kind of a guessing game at this point.

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for your votes and opinions. I actually have decided to go with a MRB for this setting as I'm trading in and up with a RB that I have. But, I'm going to keep my eye out in the future for an OEC or Rose Cut stone ring. I love them so much!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results