shape
carat
color
clarity

James Allen Advice

islandmouse

Rough_Rock
Hi all --

After spending some time looking at local vendors, my boyfriend and I decided to give James Allen a try. I've read through a lot of posts on PS and there seems to be a general positive feeling about JA. We have not been particularly happy with local jewelers, and JA seems well priced in comparison. After looking in person, we've also learned a lot and feel we have a better idea of what we're looking for in a stone.

I'm just curious if anyone can give us some advice for dealing with JA. We are looking for a 2.25-2.5 carat round brilliant, excellent cut, VS2 or SI1 (eye clean) stone. We're flexible on color, but would prefer nothing below J. I know from looking at the forum, we're supposed to ask JA for an Idealscope before purchase. Is there anything else we should ask for? The GIA grades are on the sites, which helps significantly.

If it's SI1, to me it's important that you can't see marks on the table of the stone. We've been shown supposed "eye clean" SI1 stones that neither one of us thinks were eye clean at all (i.e., could see inclusions just looking at the stone). I'm okay if there's some marking that can be hidden by the prong (i.e., on the crown). For the setting, we are looking for a Tiffany-styled knife edge platinum band (uncertain if four or six prongs at this moment, but probably four). I'm also only looking at stones with an excellent cut grade (for me, that's the most important "C").

Once we narrow down the stones, I'll definitely post for insight and advice. But I just wanted to see if y'all had any tips on dealing with JA before we move forward.

Thanks so much and have a great night!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually find it best to come at them with stones, rather than have them pick some for you.

What's your budget?

islandmouse

Rough_Rock
Niel|1416787684|3789229 said:
I usually find it best to come at them with stones, rather than have them pick some for you.

What's your budget?

By "Come at them with stones," do you mean look at their site and ask about those particular stones? Or something else? Sorry, I'm just not sure I understand.

Budget is around 20k. Can go a bit above, but not significantly.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
islandmouse|1416787820|3789231 said:

What's your budget?

By "Come at them with stones," do you mean look at their site and ask about those particular stones? Or something else? Sorry, I'm just not sure I understand.

The representative that man the chat and the phones aren't the same as the gemologists that review the stones, this is why you often see them recommend stones that you may not feel meet your requirements.

So yes I mean ask them to review 3 stones you already picked out, rather than let them pick the stones for you.

islandmouse

Rough_Rock
Niel|1416788327|3789237 said:
islandmouse|1416787820|3789231 said:

What's your budget?

The representative that man the chat and the phones aren't the same as the gemologists that review the stones, this is why you often see them recommend stones that you may not feel meet your requirements.

So yes I mean ask them to review 3 stones you already picked out, rather than let them pick the stones for you.

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, we're planning to go through the stones on their site this week that meet our criteria and then ask the gemologists to review.

islandmouse

Rough_Rock
Sorry for not responding sooner. Thanks for your help! I'm browsing a few different vendors now that I've opened up to the possibility of ordering online. I must say, that's a beauty!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We can pick stones for you. For the most part, at vendors like JA, BN and B2C the stones we pick are much better than those the sales reps pick. If you are working with a full service vendor like BGD or GOG, then you will have better luck with well trained sales staff who can pick nice stones for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results