shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help with an alexandrite!

turial

Rough_Rock
Hi!
I am about to buy my first colored stone and it's an alexandrite.
I read about alexandrite including LD 's recomendations in a post ( very useful, thanks !)
So here is the story:
The dealer is respected and a friend knows him from a longtime. It's somebody I would trust.
It's a 0.78 carat, he told me it's from Russia.
Color changes from green (like grass a bit darker maybe but very lively )at daytime , to purple mix at evening , to really dark reddish purple color at night. I would say pretty dark. He only has small pieces .
When I take pictures at daytime I don't capture the green I see but still it does capture some little greenish blue color. So this worried me!
THe pictures taken at night look more purple than the very dark redish purple color I see.
It has many inclusions but the color change is so pretty and strong I can't stop staring at the stone.

Thoughts on this? Should I be worried because of the pictures ? I'll attach them.
What is a decent price ?

Thanks!

turial

Rough_Rock
pictures

_299.jpeg

image_1_11.jpeg

image_2_7.jpeg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
turial|1417102297|3791235 said:
Hi!
I read about alexandrite including LD 's recomendations in a post ( very useful, thanks !)
So here is the story:
The dealer is respected and a friend knows him from a longtime. It's somebody I would trust.
Color changes from green (like grass a bit darker maybe but very lively )at daytime , to purple mix at evening , to really dark reddish purple color at night. I would say pretty dark. He only has small pieces .
When I take pictures at daytime I don't capture the green I see but still it does capture some little greenish blue color. So this worried me!
THe pictures taken at night look more purple than the very dark redish purple color I see.
It has many inclusions but the color change is so pretty and strong I can't stop staring at the stone.

Thoughts on this? Should I be worried because of the pictures ? I'll attach them.
What is a decent price ?

Thanks!

It's very sleepy and has absolutely no sparkle or life. You really can't take any dealer's word for it that its Russian, even if its a trusted friend. Besides, even if it is from Russia, that doesn't mean its high quality.

Personally, I like this stone much better, as its small, but at least it has decent color change AND sparkle. It's already sold, but it gives you an idea, and the price was amazing.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/sold-heart-of-water-alexandrite-baby-lotus-ring-18k-t208270.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/sold-heart-of-water-alexandrite-baby-lotus-ring-18k-t208270.html[/URL]

liao

Shiny_Rock
when buying colored stone, you shall give origin the lowest priority. That stone seems to have an okay color change, but it is a dead stone! no spark whatsoever. I am not sure about your budget, but try to consider these:

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/alexandrite/yax701ac/&1047464768
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/alexandrite/yax725ab/&1047464768
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/alexandrite/yax232aa/&1047464768

I have seen all of these in person, and I think you might love the first one. I am not sure whether Mr Wein will throw discount online, but try to negotiate the price a bit.

turial

Rough_Rock
Thanks TL
I agree with you, It doesn't look like the best quality, (actually I haven't seen many, I am new with this) even though the stone looks better in real life, it is still sleepy.
Thats a pretty little stone you posted!

turial

Rough_Rock
Thanks liao! Those are very very nice!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Your stone is beautiful with a strong change - I like it. A better clarity would be fine of course. This is my opinion as a collector.

TL as an jewellery expert is also right - it is a bit sleepy for a nice piece of jewellery.

If it is really russian It would be fine but quality and not the source is important! Hope the price was o.k. - enjoy it!!

turial

Rough_Rock
I still dont pay for it! I have time to decide.
He was giving me this for half the price he sells as he is a friend of a friend but I have no idea how much should this cost. He is offering me this one for $400.
What do you think?
What is a fair price considering the good color change but no sparkle?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I would buy it - nice change - maybe nice inclusions - but russian 0,78 ct for 400...a very good friend!!

But only my opinion!! Many here want much better clarity and want to pay more for such a fine stone...

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1417103650|3791250 said:
turial|1417102297|3791235 said:
Hi!
So here is the story:

What is a decent price ?

Thanks!

It's very sleepy and has absolutely no sparkle or life. You really can't take any dealer's word for it that its Russian, even if its a trusted friend. Besides, even if it is from Russia, that doesn't mean its high quality.

Personally, I like this stone much better, as its small, but at least it has decent color change AND sparkle. It's already sold, but it gives you an idea, and the price was amazing.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/sold-heart-of-water-alexandrite-baby-lotus-ring-18k-t208270.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/sold-heart-of-water-alexandrite-baby-lotus-ring-18k-t208270.html[/URL]
Very pretty little ring, too bad it's sold.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice colour change. I agree with TL that the stone is rather sleepy. If you love what you then it's absolutely worth it for that price.

Just to give you an idea: JoCoJen has an Alexandrite with a great colour change that sparkles immensely:

_24631.jpg

_24632.jpg

_24633.jpg

_24634.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you looking to collect an alexandrite or something to make a fine piece of jewelry? If the former, buy it for the great color change and rarity. If the later, keep in mind the cost of the setting might bring the total higher than you want to spend given the clarity issues with the stone -so it may be wise to spend more on a nicer stone now and save for the setting. On the other hand, sleepy stones don't bother everyone...so if you love it, buy it regardless of personal opinions. But based on what others are saying/showing, it seems like a very nice price.

I was the very lucky buyer of the ring TL posted. :shhh: The combination of a nice Alex and a HOW setting (been reading so much about Sally's work) were too much to resist despite my bank account saying "no more for now!" :wall: I can't wait for it to arrive

liao

Shiny_Rock
turial|1417107541|3791293 said:
He was giving me this for half the price he sells as he is a friend of a friend but I have no idea how much should this cost. He is offering me this one for $400.
What do you think?

$400 for 0.78ct with that color change? If you love it, but it! it is a very good price

turial

Rough_Rock
Acinom: WOW!
lilmosun: Congrats on the ring, it's very pretty with a nice price!!!
To be honest I still don't know if I want to start a collection or do a ring with it! I just started in the colored gems world jejeje My real dream is a Paraiba tourmaline! :love: Love all the rings here in PS with paraibas and cuprian tourmalines in general.
Still have to decide if I keep this stone or not...

turial

Rough_Rock
liao|1417111014|3791311 said:
turial|1417107541|3791293 said:
What do you think?

$400 for 0.78ct with that color change? If you love it, but it! it is a very good price
The color change is really cool, impossible to capture in pic, at night the stone does get a bit too dark. The green color is nice but I can see some inclusions!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
turial|1417111353|3791316 said:
Acinom: WOW!
lilmosun: Congrats on the ring, it's very pretty with a nice price!!!
To be honest I still don't know if I want to start a collection or do a ring with it! I just started in the colored gems world jejeje My real dream is a Paraiba tourmaline! :love: Love all the rings here in PS with paraibas and cuprian tourmalines in general.
Still have to decide if I keep this stone or not...

This would be a Paraiba in the same pricerange... Not sure about the quality though.
I would go for the Alexandrite for this pricepoint if you truly love it.

_24635.jpg

_24636.jpg

_24637.jpg

turial

Rough_Rock
I've seen this one! My dream is the more aqua one the blue/green!!! the neon color is sooooo incredible by video! Never seen one in real life!
Does somebody know of a nice gem or jewelry fair in Europe?

liao

Shiny_Rock
turial|1417115419|3791339 said:
I've seen this one! My dream is the more aqua one the blue/green!!! the neon color is sooooo incredible by video! Never seen one in real life!
Does somebody know of a nice gem or jewelry fair in Europe?

something like this? :naughty:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiating-Neon-Glow-Paraiba-Tourmaline-Oval-18-28-Ct-VVS-Mozambique-Gem-/121496934628?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item1c49c818e4

I am not sure about the price tho, it looks extremely overprice to me. I do not know :confused: paraiba tourmaline is not my cup of tea

what is your definition of "nice gem fair"?

turial

Rough_Rock
jejejeje would love something glowy like that! For now… I have to decide on the alexandrite… unless there is one out there with a magic price under 1500 … day dreaming...

turial

Rough_Rock
jewellery fair , a big one where I could see some paraibas!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1417106953|3791289 said:
Your stone is beautiful with a strong change - I like it. A better clarity would be fine of course. This is my opinion as a collector.

TL as an jewellery expert is also right - it is a bit sleepy for a nice piece of jewellery.

If it is really russian It would be fine but quality and not the source is important! Hope the price was o.k. - enjoy it!!

I'm really not a gemstone/jewelry expert, but like you, a long time collector. I hate using the word "expert" to define me. I just like to share advice that I've learned over my many years of collecting. ;-)

In the end, it's just my opinion, and I hope it helps. :)

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1417118012|3791358 said:
Marlow|1417106953|3791289 said:

I'm really not a gemstone/jewelry expert, but like you, a long time collector. I hate using the word "expert" to define me. I just like to share advice that I've learned over my many years of collecting. ;-)

In the end, it's just my opinion, and I hope it helps. :)

YOU ARE AN EXPERT!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results