shape
carat
color
clarity

Keeping dyed hair from fading

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well...I finally did it...I dyed my hair a purple/violet hue.

So far, I like it. It feels a little dark but the overall color/tone is flattering. I may go back to add a brighter highlight by my face so it looks a little edgier.

In the meantime...I want to learn how to protect it from fading...I know reds/violets fade so quick.

My stylist recommended the Loreal Vitamino Color Delicate Shampoo, but I wanted to do a little research rather than just getting it.

Normally I use Renpure Originals Argan Oil Luxurious Shampoo and I like it - I bought it because it's sulfate free and supposedly free of many of the ingredients that strip hair.

But now that my hair is purple...I just want to make sure I use what's best to maintain it.

What do you guys use/recommend?

And do you also use hair sunscreen?

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
I like to put a red semi permanent tint in my hair during the summer and it always fades before my six week toner refresh. Ugh.

I try to stay away from drug store shampoos even if they say the are color safe. My hair stylist says many coat the hair with a protectorant to "hold" the color but then it leaves buildup that makes hair color flat.

It's pricey but I like the Color Minded line from Bumble & Bumble. I also like using the Living Proof line, which is my current bottle in the shower with my darker winter hair color.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, it's gonna wash out fast, really no matter, because it's a bright and most likely nonpermanent product. The best thing you can do, seriously, is not wet it or wash it very often and use dry shampoo as often as possible. The more you wet it the faster it is going to rinse out. I shampoo every other day and condition and use color depositing conditioner every week. In between washings, if it gets gross I use Tigi Bedhead Dirty Secret dry shampoo. Or pull it up. If you can mix up a custom color depositing conditioner, perhaps with a manic panic mixed with conditioner, that might help a lot. The biggest thing for me actually is that I've had it this color for SO LONG, that it doesn't fade as quickly as it grows out.

I color my hair a bright copper with balayage highlights, and I use Vitamino Color (the regular one in the opaque pink bottle though) because I actually find the delicate color version more stripping than the original one, as I do with almost all sulfate free products. Most of those replace sulfate with something equally harsh, and in some cases more harsh, than the sulfate, despite all the claims to the contrary. I have used the Vitamino for years, I actually replaced Kerastase with it because it held the color better than the Kerastase did and it's 1/3 the price! I alternate it sometimes with Bumble Gentle shampoo. I sometimes mix in a pump or two of the Mythic Oil shampoo. Occasionally I will wash with Acure shampoo (triple moisture) because that actually hasnt messed with my color, but I don't use it as a regular product. I rotate it in maybe once a week, say if I shampooed Thurs night, and I am showering on Saturday morning. I wash my hair prior to color with prell to get any builtup color conditioner out.

Get the Loreal Pro at a Loreal Pro salon. Don't buy it on Amazon or some site.

Conditioners I use are Vitamino Color, Mythic Oil, Cristalceutic treatment (all Loreal Prof), Davines Melu, Living Proof Restore, Honest conditioner, Acure triple moisture, Davines Alchemic Copper, a stockpile of the no longer available Ted Gibson copper conditioner, Schwarzkopf Igora foam color mousse. I know I have more in there...

I also use leave ins after I get out, alternating Joico KPak liquid reconstructor (after balayage), Pureology Color Fanatic, Acure, Honest.

The only styling product I use is the Living Proof prime that I put in after leave in, and let air dry, I do not blow dry my hair. I use hot rollers or a curling iron on dry hair in the morning.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ame, Does the Tigi bedhead have a odor? I have problems with my color fading and try to not wash but I have not found a dry shampoo that I can tolerate the smell of, they all seem so strong and I am a sensitive whiner about smells. :roll:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
artdecogirl|1416625236|3788331 said:
Ame, Does the Tigi bedhead have a odor? I have problems with my color fading and try to not wash but I have not found a dry shampoo that I can tolerate the smell of, they all seem so strong and I am a sensitive whiner about smells. :roll:
Citrusy but I consider it very non-offensive. Most are really floral and I hate that. This just smells like oranges/lemons and I don't mind it at all because it dissapates pretty quickly. It's very effective and I haven't had issues with a powdery leavebehind either.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
My hair is magenta and has been holding very well. First thing to recommend is putting it under heat while it is processing. One of those upside-down bowl heaters like Grandma used to sit under. :) Has made a huge difference. Obviously a good color friendly shampoo and conditioner. I use Aveda or L'Oreal. I rinse my hair with cool or lukewarm water daily because I typically exercise everyday. I condition every other day or so. Shampoo is the main culprit for color stripping. I shampoo twice a week, maybe. Shampoo is a quick lather and rinse immediately. You'll see the color rinse out and down the drain. :(

Good luck!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea ill second the lukewarm slash cool water. It sucks to take cool showers in the winter but it makes a HUGE difference. Also the faster the better. I can be in clean and done in 5-6 minutes

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
*unless I am color depositing that shower in which case I shave and that's a 10 min shower with 5 min of standing

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
CJ, I dyed my hair a lavender/blonde/silver and I was my hair with a product by GK. It's a dark purple shampoo and it keeps my hair that lavender color. Works wonders. You're supposed to only wash it with that shampoo once or twice a week. Check it out.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
ame|1416679260|3788565 said:
artdecogirl|1416625236|3788331 said:
Citrusy but I consider it very non-offensive. Most are really floral and I hate that. This just smells like oranges/lemons and I don't mind it at all because it dissapates pretty quickly. It's very effective and I haven't had issues with a powdery leavebehind either.

Thanks Ame! I will have to give it a try. :wavey:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let me know what you think! I shake it well and really quickly spray mostly along my top part and hairline and that's about it.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only advice I can give is to wash it less. Any shampoo, even the super gentle ones will strip hair colour. You can always use something like manic panic once it starts to fade a bit to amp up the colour, or go in for a gloss to touch it up as well.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for all your tips!

Ame, I picked up the Tigi Dirty Secret Dry shampoo and I really like it. My first time ever using a dry shampoo. I like that it has a fragrance I feel like it made my hair smell fresher than if I didn't put it on. I see that you use color depositing conditioner - any tips on which brands you like?

The one thing I've read, which kind of doesn't make sense to me - a lot of people say heat and blow drying are good for helping the color stay - but heat is drying and causes damage and I would think it can pull out moisture and along with it, the color - curious if any of you have found this to be true (even though I'm guessing you don't because none of you have said that).

So far I've washed my hair twice - skipping a wash in between each time - I left the shampoo on the my hair for just a couple of seconds (thanks purplesparklies!) and I paid attention to the water - there wasn't that much down the drain (although the towel did show some purple/magenta stains). So I really really have a good feeling about this Renpure shampoo even though it's a drugstore brand.

Purplesparklies next time I will ask my hairdresser to put me under the heat lamp when the color is in my hair.

Autumn - do you think that shampoo would work on dark purple/magenta? Or maaybe they have other colors?

I'm also going to start using a deep conditioner (Ame, maybe I'll try some of the brands you mentioned) - I think so much of keeping hair looking good is actually the health / shine of it, especially towards the ends.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well my depositing ones might not help you bec mine are red but I use igora foam from Schwarzkopf (pro) and Davines alchemic which I don't know if it has a purple one. What may work for you is mixing manic panic in a purple shade with any deep conditioner 30/70 or 50/50 and letting it sit for a few minutes (3-5 max) while you shave. Then rinse well and use normal conditioner to kinda seal it.

I use dark towels on purpose lol

I never blow dry. But I do use hot rollers and curling irons on my hair when dry.

So glad you liked the dry shampoo!

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
As I bottle red head, I understand the fading issue!

Don't wash your every day, or even every other day {it can be done}

Keep the water as cool as possible

I use Vidal Sassoon Shampoo Color Protect and Oribe Conditioner

If you are in bright sun, use a hat or a scarf. If you swim in chlorinated water, WASH IMMEDIATELY I spent the summer in my back yard under a hat and umbrella

Ask your hairdresser to put a glaze on it

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1417041179|3790912 said:
What may work for you is mixing manic panic in a purple shade with any deep conditioner 30/70 or 50/50 and letting it sit for a few minutes (3-5 max) while you shave. Then rinse well and use normal conditioner to kinda seal it.

I might try this. The only thing is that I think Manic Panic is a permanent color, right? I did semi permanent.

I might also try this, based on your suggestion: http://us.davines.com/alchemic-conditioner-red/d/1010C327 (says it's suitable for red or mahogany hair, so I think it might work). Have you tried any of their deep conditioners?

I go back in to the stylist Friday for her to add either one large chunk to frame my face (what I think I want) or a chunk plus a couple of highlights. I'm feeling like my hair is too even - and I want it to look more edgy. I saw a lady much older than me the other day with brown hair and a blondish single chunk on one side of her hair and I liked it. Doesn't look natural, but I'm actually not looking for natural this time. Yet it didn't feel "skunky" looking to me - so we'll see what my stylist recommends.

What I'm noticing is that it seems to be washing out to a hideous (gorgeous on you, Ame, hideous on me) coppery/orangy red in the baby hairs by my face and some lighter areas of my hair. I'm also noticing some unevenness - some areas seem to have washed out more than others.

So...I'm glad I'm going to see her again Friday so she can take a look and we can figure out what to do.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lil Misfit|1417046081|3790942 said:
I use this to keep my red/bright red hair from fading. It says red/purple, so it may help, but then again it may turn your hair more red.

http://evohair.com/au/products/fabuloso/fabuloso-purple-red

My hair in reality turned out auburn-ish with the lighter areas a red with a reddish/pinkish undertone - hard to explain.

When I first got it done the baby hairs by my face looked like a dark reddish/magenta - that seems to be all gone now - I would like to bring that back. Do you think this would work to bring some of that back.

Also do you any of their other products like their deep conditioners?

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1418172635|3798569 said:
Lil Misfit|1417046081|3790942 said:
I use this to keep my red/bright red hair from fading. It says red/purple, so it may help, but then again it may turn your hair more red.

http://evohair.com/au/products/fabuloso/fabuloso-purple-red

My hair in reality turned out auburn-ish with the lighter areas a red with a reddish/pinkish undertone - hard to explain.

When I first got it done the baby hairs by my face looked like a dark reddish/magenta - that seems to be all gone now - I would like to bring that back. Do you think this would work to bring some of that back.

Also do you any of their other products like their deep conditioners?

I'm pretty sure it would work to bring back the magenta. And no, I haven't tried any of their other products.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1418172201|3798565 said:
What may work for you is mixing manic panic in a purple shade with any deep conditioner 30/70 or 50/50 and letting it sit for a few minutes (3-5 max) while you shave. Then rinse well and use normal conditioner to kinda seal it.

I might try this. The only thing is that I think Manic Panic is a permanent color, right? I did semi permanent.

I might also try this, based on your suggestion: http://us.davines.com/alchemic-conditioner-red/d/1010C327 (says it's suitable for red or mahogany hair, so I think it might work). Have you tried any of their deep conditioners?

I go back in to the stylist Friday for her to add either one large chunk to frame my face (what I think I want) or a chunk plus a couple of highlights. I'm feeling like my hair is too even - and I want it to look more edgy. I saw a lady much older than me the other day with brown hair and a blondish single chunk on one side of her hair and I liked it. Doesn't look natural, but I'm actually not looking for natural this time. Yet it didn't feel "skunky" looking to me - so we'll see what my stylist recommends.

What I'm noticing is that it seems to be washing out to a hideous (gorgeous on you, Ame, hideous on me) coppery/orangy red in the baby hairs by my face and some lighter areas of my hair. I'm also noticing some unevenness - some areas seem to have washed out more than others.

So...I'm glad I'm going to see her again Friday so she can take a look and we can figure out what to do.
Manic Panic is semi permanent actually though if your hair is really color treated it will hang on a LOT longer.

I have used Davines MELU conditioner as well, and I like it but their packaging for conditioners is STUPID. It's a plastic tub. It's stupid.

Well, I hope that you can find a solution to the base tone. It might need to be made more cool than it is though that might be because your base might only be lightened to that stage (hair goes through several stages when lightened and a non flattering coppery/orange happens to be one of them...)

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hair loves to fade. It is extremely fine and now it it about 50% gray. I just found a new hairdresser who uses an additive called Olaplex. This stuff is amazing! First off, it makes your hair feel as though it had never been colored! I'm not kidding. My hair is in better condition post-color. Second, my color hardly fades at all. It might fade a half a shade. I am ok with that because that allows for a few more natural highlights to come through.

My hairdresser said that her clients that go red are maintaining their color too, which is pretty much unheard of. If you can, find someone who uses Olaplex. You just might love it.

The other plus... I was having trouble with my hair falling out with Aveda color. Since I have switched, I have had much less hair fall.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
One word: Purology.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1418226397|3798844 said:

Manic Panic is semi permanent actually though if your hair is really color treated it will hang on a LOT longer.

I have used Davines MELU conditioner as well, and I like it but their packaging for conditioners is STUPID. It's a plastic tub. It's stupid.

Well, I hope that you can find a solution to the base tone. It might need to be made more cool than it is though that might be because your base might only be lightened to that stage (hair goes through several stages when lightened and a non flattering coppery/orange happens to be one of them...)

Manic Panic has some very interesting colors. I don't know what's gotten into me that I want to try all those crazy bright colors all of the sudden when I've been conservative with my hair for like 15 years!

That really truly sounds like stupid packaging. If you think about it, a tub for anything like a cream is stupid. And unsanitary.

I didn't go lighter. I actually went darker. But the places where I'm seeing the most brassiness/coppery tones are by my baby hairs but even kind of all over a little bit.

There is a lot of red/warmth that's coming through that really "shouldn't" be there - not based on what I wanted - which were magenta / purplish / cool tones.

I know she could not have predicted it would wash out like this - and she's awesome and really like her - but do you think this is something she should "fix" as my professional colorist? Or is it something that sometimes happens? We did both agree we were experimenting to see whether we found the right base for the hair. I guess it's not quite right. I just don't know if I should expect or ask to see if she will fix without charging me (although I fully expect her to charge me for the highlight chunk I want to do tomorrow).

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1418318368|3799503 said:
My hair loves to fade. It is extremely fine and now it it about 50% gray. I just found a new hairdresser who uses an additive called Olaplex. This stuff is amazing! First off, it makes your hair feel as though it had never been colored! I'm not kidding. My hair is in better condition post-color. Second, my color hardly fades at all. It might fade a half a shade. I am ok with that because that allows for a few more natural highlights to come through.

My hairdresser said that her clients that go red are maintaining their color too, which is pretty much unheard of. If you can, find someone who uses Olaplex. You just might love it.

The other plus... I was having trouble with my hair falling out with Aveda color. Since I have switched, I have had much less hair fall.

I am definitely going to ask my colorist about Olaplex House Cat - thanks for telling me about it (I did a little research on it and some say it's a $15 upfee to get it - I guarantee you it will not be $15 at this salon, though...so we'll see).

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
House Cat|1418318368|3799503 said:

Mine uses Olaplex. It really doesn't make any difference in terms of fading, at least not with reds. But it does make a difference in the health of the hair when you're lightening, especially. It alters the way the lighteners break the hair bonds.

Gypsy|1418329532|3799604 said:
One word: Purology.
DESTROYED my color. Literally ripped it right out instantly--permanent dye that had been built up for YEARS, gone instantly. The only product by the brand I will touch is a leave in. The rest, in my experience, is garbage that will never enter my home or shower again.

CJ2008|1418336711|3799686 said:
ame|1418226397|3798844 said:

Manic Panic has some very interesting colors. I don't know what's gotten into me that I want to try all those crazy bright colors all of the sudden when I've been conservative with my hair for like 15 years!

That really truly sounds like stupid packaging. If you think about it, a tub for anything like a cream is stupid. And unsanitary.

I didn't go lighter. I actually went darker. But the places where I'm seeing the most brassiness/coppery tones are by my baby hairs but even kind of all over a little bit.

There is a lot of red/warmth that's coming through that really "shouldn't" be there - not based on what I wanted - which were magenta / purplish / cool tones.

I know she could not have predicted it would wash out like this - and she's awesome and really like her - but do you think this is something she should "fix" as my professional colorist? Or is it something that sometimes happens? We did both agree we were experimenting to see whether we found the right base for the hair. I guess it's not quite right. I just don't know if I should expect or ask to see if she will fix without charging me (although I fully expect her to charge me for the highlight chunk I want to do tomorrow).
I think it's something that happens. If it faded/washed out that way IMMEDIATELY, she might be on the hook to fix it, MIGHT. But at this point, no. If you already have had dye in your hair before she started, that's one of the unexpected things they try to work around, but that they never know how your hair will react to. She's got to work around what's already there, esp if you've gotten stuff done by someone else or at home and she's not sure what those ingredients are compared to her line.

I have a lot of issues around the hairline too. My hairline/baby hairs are the hardest to keep the color in and "right." It's where I focus my attention with color depositing products.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results