carat
color
clarity

Weight Loss

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sarahb|1416684387|3788601 said:
diamondrnglover--that is wonderful that you are making progress. Good job, it is truly a process that is for sure. Making those incremental changes will go far in the long run--I too have a horrible thyroid, Hashimoto disease, (underachieve thyroid), so I can totally relate--I really have to work hard to lose weight. Hang in there & keep moving! :wavey:

Thanks, I have a under active thyroid as well, I take pills but I have had a slow metabolism since I got diagnosis at 16 (I am 53 now), I have done this before and I can do it again..I am determined this time!

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
I would be on board! Since having my baby I have not lost my baby weight which is about 10 lbs and home life stress has added a couple lbs too. I work FT and by the time we (DD and I) get home, eat dinner my husband has made for us, give her a bath, play time and once her bed time rolls around, I am beat. :(

I will gladly embrace the motivation!

Speaking of weight loss and eating healthier has anyone done or heard of the Whole 30? Link is below that I found and curious if anyone has tried/is trying it and their thoughts.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/30-dieters-eliminate-foods-shed-pounds-23760830

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've not done the whole30 eating regimen per say, but get their Facebook feeds, the articles are great--their program seems logical to me. My food is pretty lean right now, for me it's all in, or all out. Just need to find the balance. & sustain it.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just stretching Saturday. Likely the same on Sunday.
Bent over to wipe something off this morning and my back screamed at me. Nothing seriously out of alignment (thankfully!) but it is very painful.

Yummy lunch: black beans (no salt, in water) with an ounce of extra sharp cheddar and a big spoon of homemade salsa (onion, fresh tomatoes, cilantro, lemon juice). I mostly just ate with a fork, but did have one serving (carefully counted) of "lightly salted" tortilla chips.

Dinner: Brussels sprouts in lemon juice, cranberries (fresh with very little sugar), peas in rice (about 50/50 mix so only a small serving of rice), turkey breast, and a bit of gravy (homemade stock with fat spooned off, splash of balsamic vinegar, bit of white wine, fresh sage).

Bought a step-tracker on Friday. Just a cheap one ($4) but it seems to actually count pretty accurately. I started using it Friday around 10:30am (after exercise + 3 hours worth of daily stuff) and had already done 2300 steps by the time I took it off at 9:00 (3 hours before bed).
Looking forward to using it and challenging myself to do a bit more during my regular day!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like you ladies are doing very well! Good for you!

The new Pilates Reformer is kicking my butt and I have a lot to learn on it but just getting started.

As for food choices here are some things I eat on a regular basis if that might be helpful for some of you.

Beans are a protein staple for me. I boil dried beans and never buy packaged ones (too much sodium). My favorites are Chic peas and black beans. I soak them overnight and bring to a boil and then cook to taste. Usually it takes an hour plus.

I put the beans in the fridge where it lasts for at least 5 days for the meals ahead and I add a serving (for me that's about 8-10 tablespoons) to a big salad that has grilled veggies in it. Grilled onions, grilled mushrooms, grilled red and yellow peppers and broccoli and these last few months I have been adding butternut squash. Really delicious.

Also have been adding avocado oil which you may or may not want to add. I was actually trying to gain weight-not trying anymore as I am there now just want to maintain. I might go back to adding fresh avocados to the salad which I did in past years. This year has been weird for me in a few ways but never mind that. I am looking forward to regaining my strength and health and looking towards 2015 as being hopefully a good year for all of us.

I have a big salad like that usually every day (unless we go out for dinner) and during the day I mainly eat fruit and nuts every few hours to stabilize my blood sugar and appetite. I love almonds, walnuts, pistachios and cashews. I also love peanuts but they do not love me. If you are adding nuts I would recommend adding them in moderation as they are high in (good) calories.

As a snack I love air popped popcorn. Satisfying crunch and volume which is important for me to feel satiated. I like the feeling of a full tummy which I know others don't care for. It makes me feel safe and content haha. Weird I know. For those of you who can tolerate spice you can add chili pepper or red pepper to the popcorn for a good punch.

And as I wrote in a previous post here moving as much as you can is one of the best things you can do for your health. Walking instead of driving if possible and using stairs instead of the elevator are a good place to start.

Love that you bought a step tracker Too Patient. Great idea!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am 5'2"/157cm and weigh about 11.5st/161lb/73.2kg, and have been around this weight for the past 10 years or so, usually go up a few pounds after Christmas, mainly due to more alcohol being consumed in December. :bigsmile:

My weight has always been my mum's biggest bugbear for as long as I can remember.

However, I am fine health wise, in terms of blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol.

I do a bit of exercise in the form of a regular tap dancing class, and the dog takes me out for a walk every day. :bigsmile:

I joined a gym earlier this year, the first time I set foot in a gym, with the main intention to increase my strength and cardiac output, to be fitter for longer and more strenuous walks, and be able to lift 30kg+ which is the weight of my new tent that I aim to buy next year.

I also joined a walking group via Meetup recently with the aim to walk more.

Therefore, not a complete couch potato as such. ;))

Good thing about going to the gym, dancing, walking etc., is that it allows me not to cut down on the amount or the type of food I consume. I do not shy away from fat and diary products, or red meat, however, they are part of a balanced diet for most of the time. :bigsmile:

As long as my weight is steady and can fit into the clothes I already have, and remain in good health, then I am happy.

Dieting makes me grumpy as I love my food.

DK :))

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy -- Your salad sounds delicious!

We do something similar at least 3 times per week (often more) over the summer. I generally have stuff ready to go in the refrigerator to grab for lunch or even breakfast as wanted.

Toasted almonds or pecans are yummy! (except the pecans hurt me so I don't eat them often ;( ). It is super easy to get way more calories than anticipated so I usually measure these and keep them in single serving bags so I know what I'm getting.

Beans -- Love chick peas! Try stirring in a bit of tomato paste (watch the sodium here!), lemon juice, fresh ground cumin & coriander, and some freshly chopped cilantro. Good warm or cold.

Other favorite salad toppings:
fresh fruit -- pears, apples, Asian pears, oranges, strawberries
veggies -- jicama, bell peppers, carrots, caramelized onions (use very little oil, just let them slow cook until yummy)

No exercise likely today. I couldn't sit up to get myself out of bed and could barely manage to get pants on myself. I've got the expensive brace on that I got from the doctor when my back went out before. It is an "active" brace as opposed to the usual passive so it is actually helping to build the muscles rather than cause weakness. Thankfully, the vertebrae seem to be in alignment still (there was a big clunk like it went out but a few minutes later had another like it went back in) but really aggravated. Hoping to be back to exercise tomorrow (even if light) if I can do some gentle stretching and just let it recover today.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient, love those fruit toppings you add. I occasionally add fruit also but since I get so much fruit throughout the day I usually don't.

Take it easy today and maybe some gentle stretching if anything. Slow and steady and hoping you feel better soon...sending healing vibes your way.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay for everyone doing so well with their healthy living! :appl:

For the exercisers among us, this is for you! :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NjbGr2nk2c

Thanks to everyone who wrote with advice and support about the plantar fasciitis!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guilty Pleasure|1416445799|3786829 said:
I will participate! I'm nine months pregnant (due today actually), and I will start exercising after my doctor clears me around the new year, I assume. I was carrying extra weight before the pregnancy, and now obviously will have baby weight to add to that.

Jambalaya, even though you aren't ready to start, I have some advice for you!

1. Don't treat the next month like your last hoorah. I think a lot of people end up gaining weight because they plan on starting in the future and binge in the present. So at the very least, try to maintain your current habits and not go crazy like it's your last holiday season EVER!

2. Start TODAY with adding good habits, not even caring about taking away any of the bad food or lack of exercise for now. Things like: start drinking at least eight glasses of water, eat four different vegetables every day, take a multivitamin... think of some easy healthy habits to ADD to your life, and work on the subtracting bad habits later when you are able.

GuiltyPleasures, those are two excellent pieces of advice. Thanks so much for taking the time to write when you're on the edge of such a huge adventure! Let us know how things go and post some pics of your bundle of joy, if you feel comfortable doing so. Thinking of you!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I just weighed myself this morning (I try not to very often because I get frustrated at the speed of my progress)... I'm at 21 pounds lost!! That means it's time for my first reward!! It also means that I get to lose the 2 at the beginning of my weight!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
manderz|1416799926|3789328 said:
I just weighed myself this morning (I try not to very often because I get frustrated at the speed of my progress)... I'm at 21 pounds lost!! That means it's time for my first reward!! It also means that I get to lose the 2 at the beginning of my weight!

Awesome work! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GUYS i was doing so good until yesterday lol. Steak for lunch and a giant burrito for dinner. I've also been having some hip pains so havent been working out as I should.
*sigh*
Its my partners company xmas party this weekend. I hope I can at least workout at the hotel, and since we are in the mountains maybe go for a hike!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1416852361|3789618 said:
GUYS i was doing so good until yesterday lol. Steak for lunch and a giant burrito for dinner. I've also been having some hip pains so havent been working out as I should.
*sigh*
Its my partners company xmas party this weekend. I hope I can at least workout at the hotel, and since we are in the mountains maybe go for a hike!

Beautiful time of year for a hike! I hope you can get in at least one good hike. Maybe try for a hike each day?

Don't beat yourself up over one day. You've been doing great. Just keep on going.
When I want a yummy steak meal, I try to balance with lots of veggies in the meal so portions are reasonable. That seems to help.

Good luck at the party! Enjoy some yummy treats in reward for getting your exercise in :))

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Managed to get out of bed on my own this morning and even got socks on my feet :appl:
Still can't quite get shoes myself, but one thing at a time!

We went to exercise this morning but took it really slow. I was able to "comfortably" do 3 laps around the track just walking. It actually helped a bit and I'm feeling a little better now than earlier.

Will try to do a bit more tomorrow. Not going to push my back too fast. Have to recover so I don't end up out for months like last time!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately it's not the greatest weather out here, so it will be a chilly hike! Probably -10C or so haha. The hotel excersize equipment should be good though, and then I won't feel as bad for eating and drinking a bit extra :)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1416858568|3789678 said:
Unfortunately it's not the greatest weather out here, so it will be a chilly hike! Probably -10C or so haha. The hotel excersize equipment should be good though, and then I won't feel as bad for eating and drinking a bit extra :)

Yikes! That is a bit too cold for me!

Enjoy the exercise equipment in a nice warm hotel :))

NTave

Shiny_Rock
I'd be interested. I don't exercise much right now because of a grueling grad school program, and I'm at least 15 lbs out of my comfort zone, and I could really do more than that. Count me in.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just finished a mile at the track. Took 30 minutes to do, but my back is getting better every day.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
TooPatient|1416930004|3790226 said:
Just finished a mile at the track. Took 30 minutes to do, but my back is getting better every day.
Good for you! That's a huge improvement over yesterday! :clap: :clap:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
manderz|1416945871|3790377 said:
TooPatient|1416930004|3790226 said:
Good for you! That's a huge improvement over yesterday! :clap: :clap:

You go girl. :appl: Glad you are feeling better and going strong!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No exercise or walking for me..but hubby had surgery on Friday and I been running myself to death trying to help him, do the chores and work 10 hour days..I am too tired to walk and my back is killing me...I have 22 people coming for Thanksgiving and I been working for days after work to get ready..so I say I have had plenty of exercise lol, hopefully things will get back to normally and I wont have to work so much after Thanksgiving.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondrnglover|1416957038|3790474 said:
No exercise or walking for me..but hubby had surgery on Friday and I been running myself to death trying to help him, do the chores and work 10 hour days..I am too tired to walk and my back is killing me...I have 22 people coming for Thanksgiving and I been working for days after work to get ready..so I say I have had plenty of exercise lol, hopefully things will get back to normally and I wont have to work so much after Thanksgiving.

Hope your DH recovers quickly!

22 people?!?!
Yikes!
We're expecting about 21 people at my grandparents' house, but the cleaning is being done by several people and the cooking has been spread out to half a dozen households.
Good luck! I hope it all goes wonderfully and that you get to relax after!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1416987733|3790641 said:
diamondrnglover|1416957038|3790474 said:

Hope your DH recovers quickly!

22 people?!?!
Yikes!
We're expecting about 21 people at my grandparents' house, but the cleaning is being done by several people and the cooking has been spread out to half a dozen households.
Good luck! I hope it all goes wonderfully and that you get to relax after!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recommend watching the movie Fed Up with Katie Couric. http://fedupmovie.com/#/page/home It is very eye opening for people who want to change their eating habits. It shows how the processed food industry pumps our food full of sugar and isn't required to note it on the nutrition labels (hidden sugar). The sugar content is especially high in "low fat" foods because they need extra flavor.

also, I would look into cutting out all processed foods. There are a few lifestyle plans that REALLY help with this and are proven to lower blood sugar, etc.

The Paleo Diet is really fantastic. People usually start with a Whole 30 and then transition into the Paleo diet after they are done.

http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/
You do NOT need to buy the book (unless you want to.) I love the whole 30. I have been doing it for about 100 days now. I feel fantastic. I sleep better. My mood is incredible. My skin is glowing. I do NOT crave anything (that goes away after day 15 or so.) No bloating in the stomach. My weight fell off and so did my husband's. You are eating real food. You must be prepared at all times, but it is worth it.

The web is full of advice and recipes. I have found that I don't need fancy whole30 recipes. I keep it simple. Grilled meat, steamed veggie, baked sweet potato.

Also, some people really push themselves while on a whole 30 and do all kinds of incredible exercise (that they didn't do before) and that isn't the point. You should take it easy because your body is detoxing. Your body was addicted to sugar and white flour (that turns into sugar) and it needs to go through withdrawal and you need to rebuild your habits. The whole30 experts recommend walking only. After you transition to another plan, primal, paleo or whatever, THEN do the more strenuous exercise.

Whatever you choose, good luck in January and in 2015!! :D

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also enjoyed the whole30. Tbh, the hardest part about it was NO ALCOHOL. I love me some wine or beer.

It's a good 'jump start' to eating healthier. And learning meal prep.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1417019029|3790722 said:
I recommend watching the movie Fed Up with Katie Couric. http://fedupmovie.com/#/page/home It is very eye opening for people who want to change their eating habits. It shows how the processed food industry pumps our food full of sugar and isn't required to note it on the nutrition labels (hidden sugar). The sugar content is especially high in "low fat" foods because they need extra flavor.

also, I would look into cutting out all processed foods. There are a few lifestyle plans that REALLY help with this and are proven to lower blood sugar, etc.

The Paleo Diet is really fantastic. People usually start with a Whole 30 and then transition into the Paleo diet after they are done.

http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/
You do NOT need to buy the book (unless you want to.) I love the whole 30. I have been doing it for about 100 days now. I feel fantastic. I sleep better. My mood is incredible. My skin is glowing. I do NOT crave anything (that goes away after day 15 or so.) No bloating in the stomach. My weight fell off and so did my husband's. You are eating real food. You must be prepared at all times, but it is worth it.

The web is full of advice and recipes. I have found that I don't need fancy whole30 recipes. I keep it simple. Grilled meat, steamed veggie, baked sweet potato.

Also, some people really push themselves while on a whole 30 and do all kinds of incredible exercise (that they didn't do before) and that isn't the point. You should take it easy because your body is detoxing. Your body was addicted to sugar and white flour (that turns into sugar) and it needs to go through withdrawal and you need to rebuild your habits. The whole30 experts recommend walking only. After you transition to another plan, primal, paleo or whatever, THEN do the more strenuous exercise.

Whatever you choose, good luck in January and in 2015!! :D

Wow House Cat, thanks for the info and link. I never heard of this or the movie. I am torn. If only beans were allowed...with the exception of beans and stevia I sort of eat this way but I think I am going to do it after the holidays (I cannot give up the holiday treats LOL) because what do I have to lose? I recently started having skin issues that are becoming quite problematic for me and if there is a chance this way of eating can help I am going for it. Thanks again and have a good Thanksgiving!

Telephone, did you notice any change to your health when you did this diet?

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Ill check out that link and glad to hear that the Whole 30 is so life changing.

I'm a mom of a 20m old and my husband isn't interested in the whole 30. Sigh I want to do the Whole 30, but I don't do the cooking as he gets home before us so I'm not sure what to do. :(

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha scales were kind to me this week, lost another pound, total weight loss is 8 lbs...only 60 more to go lol

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.2 miles in 30 minutes yesterday

Managed 1.4 miles in 30 minutes today! Great way to start Thanksgiving!
OH! And I managed today without my big back brace :dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results