shape
carat
color
clarity

Freshadama 8.5-9.0 vs 9.0-9.5mm necklace

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot about Cyber Monday.

My order history shows that last year's Christmas coupon was 12% (maybe there was a 12 Days connection or something). Anything helps!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Jambalaya|1416332670|3785820 said:
Litgeek - I would send the metallics back, but although they are not quite large and round enough, I adore the glassy luster! I can't afford a 10mm Hanadama strand, which is the look I really like, so to some extent I will have to choose between high luster (metallics) and the nice fat roundness/size of the Freshadamas. I love my Freshadama studs but I can't pretend that the satiny luster pleases me as much as the high-gloss look of metallics and Hanadama.

I might order a large Freshadama strand now in order to compare with the metallics I've already got. I'm just trying to decide between 9-9.5 and 9.5-10mm. Not sure how much difference there will be, but the price difference is significant - over $500!

LitGeek - I forgot to say,all your pearls are s.t.u.n.n.i.n.g!!

Thanks Jambalaya!

Hmmm...Sounds like you have some difficult choices to make. I know that the larger sized metallics are very difficult to find. I wish you the best of luck with your choice! Looking forward to your photos.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was debating between the Freshadama 9-9.5mm on the one hand, and the 9.5-10.5mm on the other. See below for comparison.

I asked Pearl Paradise for this comparison shot, and as you'll see, there is a large visible difference between these two sizes, even though they are close in mm measurements. Obviously, it's volume that counts, as one of the pearl experts here has said. I guess this accounts for the $500 price difference!

I was still confused about what these sizes look like in real life, so I went to Macy's yesterday (purely for size purposes) and tried on a 9-9.5mm and a 10mm. For me, I thought the 10mm was too large and that it was straying into the "large white beads" look - at least, on me. Maybe it looks better on someone taller than me (under five feet four). Also, they were off-round, not perfectly round like the Freshadama, so I was bearing in mind that the Freshadama would look even larger than both of the Macy's strands.

I'm kind of glad for my wallet that I preferred the smaller ones (9-9.5mm).

I'm still trying to decide whether to keep my metallic freshwater 8.5 - 9.5mm strand, or go for the Freshadama 9-9.5mm strand. The second is twice the price of the first, and has roundness and size but satiny luster, whereas the metallics are smaller and off-round but have lovely sharp luster. I might have to just order the smaller Freshadama strand and compare in real life to the metallics in order to make a decision.

I hope this photo is useful. I couldn't find any photos on Pricescope of the Freshadama 9.5 - 10.5mm size, so here's an example.

_24503.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[b]LitGeek[/b]|1416244771|3785177 said:
I had a really tough time choosing a size for my first Freshadama strand. LOL ultimately I fell in love with two of the strands that PP sent me and ended up with two necklaces. Here are some photos of my double strand and single strand to give you an idea of the size difference, hopefully it will help you choose. I think the 9-9.5 is the perfect size for a single strand."

Looking at my 9-9.5mm Freshadama studs, my off-round metallics, and the sizes in Macys yesterday, I have to say that I really agree with this statement of LitGeek's.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
LitGeek - I love to look at those beautiful white pearls of yours! I just adore the way the strands are 'graduated' it's a modern take on a classic necklace. And the luster ! Just gorgeous! :appl: I could look at those photos all day !

As for the size of the pearls.. if you are not comfortable with the size of the 10mm strands then the 9-9.5 is a good choice. They are still 'big' pearls and I doubt, in the future, that you would ever feel like they are too small (as you might with 7's or 8's) . After all, as you point out, you are not a tall woman so those pearls are going to look substantial on you anyway.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Jambalaya|1416770348|3789107 said:
I was debating between the Freshadama 9-9.5mm on the one hand, and the 9.5-10.5mm on the other. See below for comparison.

I asked Pearl Paradise for this comparison shot, and as you'll see, there is a large visible difference between these two sizes, even though they are close in mm measurements. Obviously, it's volume that counts, as one of the pearl experts here has said. I guess this accounts for the $500 price difference!

I was still confused about what these sizes look like in real life, so I went to Macy's yesterday (purely for size purposes) and tried on a 9-9.5mm and a 10mm. For me, I thought the 10mm was too large and that it was straying into the "large white beads" look - at least, on me. Maybe it looks better on someone taller than me (under five feet four). Also, they were off-round, not perfectly round like the Freshadama, so I was bearing in mind that the Freshadama would look even larger than both of the Macy's strands.

I'm kind of glad for my wallet that I preferred the smaller ones (9-9.5mm).

I'm still trying to decide whether to keep my metallic freshwater 8.5 - 9.5mm strand, or go for the Freshadama 9-9.5mm strand. The second is twice the price of the first, and has roundness and size but satiny luster, whereas the metallics are smaller and off-round but have lovely sharp luster. I might have to just order the smaller Freshadama strand and compare in real life to the metallics in order to make a decision.

I hope this photo is useful. I couldn't find any photos on Pricescope of the Freshadama 9.5 - 10.5mm size, so here's an example.

Wow, they are significantly larger!!! I really didn't expect them to be that much larger. I am sure they are quite lovely on too. Since you are on the petite side, I do think the 9-9.5mm would be perfect for you. I would definitely order the freshadama to compare with the metallic IRL, I think you might be pleasantly surprised. :naughty:

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
katbran|1416824742|3789419 said:
LitGeek - I love to look at those beautiful white pearls of yours! I just adore the way the strands are 'graduated' it's a modern take on a classic necklace. And the luster ! Just gorgeous! :appl: I could look at those photos all day !

As for the size of the pearls.. if you are not comfortable with the size of the 10mm strands then the 9-9.5 is a good choice. They are still 'big' pearls and I doubt, in the future, that you would ever feel like they are too small (as you might with 7's or 8's) . After all, as you point out, you are not a tall woman so those pearls are going to look substantial on you anyway.

Thanks katbran! :wavey:

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
You did the best thing by comparison shopping mm size and I'me sure you'll find them perfect for you. Maybe you could get a Freshdama strand to compare with the metallics too?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, I have ordered the 9-9.5mm Freshadamas (well, asked PP to put a strand aside until the 20% code comes through). I really have no idea whether I'll decide to keep the metallics or keep the Freshadamas. I'll have to choose between size and luster, and of course one is half the price of the other. So I might well end up keeping the cheaper metallics, but I've been wondering about the 9-9.5mm Freshadama necklace for ages, so it's time to find out! I'll post comparison pics when it arrives.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
The PP holiday code is 20% this year? Wow.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, that's what Chenai told me! Twenty per cent.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to say - the 20% is for Cyber Monday, I think.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Jambalaya|1417040166|3790903 said:
OK, I have ordered the 9-9.5mm Freshadamas (well, asked PP to put a strand aside until the 20% code comes through). I really have no idea whether I'll decide to keep the metallics or keep the Freshadamas. I'll have to choose between size and luster, and of course one is half the price of the other. So I might well end up keeping the cheaper metallics, but I've been wondering about the 9-9.5mm Freshadama necklace for ages, so it's time to find out! I'll post comparison pics when it arrives.

Looking forward to your photos and seeing which you choose! :wavey:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LitGeek|1417282006|3792323 said:
Jambalaya|1417040166|3790903 said:

Looking forward to your photos and seeing which you choose! :wavey:

Thanks. It's such a pain ordering both and sending one back but I think it's worth it to get the whole "large white strand" thing completely right, and then I can just forget about it and enjoy it, knowing I got the right one. And yes, I'll post comparison photos. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results