shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on 2 potential RHR, please

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
Hi PS'ers,

I wandered into my local jewelry store today and found myself falling in serious like for two potential rings...and would love your feedback.

Ring 1: Peter Storm Emerald cut stone with halo, 14k white gold and currently, with CZ center. $3125 (assume this would come down under $3k with final negotiation) Would replace the CZ with a very good, medium blue, non heat treated sapphire (they are looking at some stone options now)...assume final price will come in around $5.5k.

Ring 2: Gottleib & Sons 3 stone ring. .49 pave on band, .56 tl carat for side stones, approx 1.25 center stone currently a CZ. current price, $3200. Would replace a CZ with a G-H, SI, ideal cut center stone, assume final price would be around $6k.

Halo, pave and side stones are, on both rings, G-H, SI eye clean.

Wondering if these are reasonable prices for a new ring? And welcome your opinion on how the rings look on my very fat, size 10.5 (!) finger. (note, colors are just markered-in..to give a sense of what a colored stone would look like)

Thanks...

ringsmini_withoriginalstone.jpg

ringsmini_withcoloredstone.jpg

3stone_ringsmini_withoriginalstone.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not familiar with the Peter Storm or Gottlieb & Sons brands, but it seems to me that both ring mounts are rather over-priced -- for that kind of money, you could buy the loose stone of your choice and then have a similar style setting but higher-quality diamond melee *and* built custom for your stone and finger size.

If it were me, and I were trying to make the most of a budget (while topping out on quality) and seeking similar style rings, I'd contact ID Jewelry for a quote for this kind of 3-stone ring: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gabriel-co-3-stone-cushion-halo-from-idj.201482/

I will caution you that untreated emerald-cut blue sapphires are few and far between, and will be rather costly - assuming well-cut with good color and accompanying AGL or GIA lab report stating unheated. Unless your local jeweler is known for colored gem expertise, I am rather doubtful the sapphires that are brought in will meet the above criteria. If you really want a sapphire ring, I'd advise first schooling yourself via the PS Colored Stone forum, and then via the Colored Stone recommended vendors, you yourself finding the loose sapphire. Then, go with ID Jewelry or another PS recommended vendor for the setting.

I am recommending PS-vetted vendors because generally the quality of the ring and the diamond melee will be much higher as compared to many bench-and-mortar brands, and also because this allows you to maximize your budget with the best possible center stone (rather than confine yourself to a specific carat weight/stone dimensions because you purchased a ring mount before the center stone).

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks MaryMM....I wondered about that too. I actually decided no earlier today since they came back with a quote of 'starting with $4k for the center round diamond' which I thought was over the top, given what I've read up on here. I have read up on the loose stones and colored stones forums, but building a ring from scratch is pretty daunting for a noob :rolleyes:

Luckily, I'm within driving distance of NYC. I may have to pop down to IDJ and Diamonds by Lauren some weekend. Since I have such thick fingers, I will need a pretty substantial ring and bling to cover it :doh: I just don't have a ton of free time so it was easy to pop into my family's local jeweler. But maybe if I can get IDJ, DBL or WF to pull something together (they do the heavy lifting) it would be the best of both worlds

Thanks again and happy Thanksgiving!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi TechieTechie, I think you made the right choice in passing on both of these. They are overpriced for what they are and I think you can do much better. ID Jewelry has very competitive prices and does quality work. Diamonds by Lauren also has beautiful jewelry but I think are a bit pricier but they do have some gorgeous colored diamonds if that is what you want. Good luck!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry, I don't think either is that overpriced.

Pave with sidestones are expensive. Settings in the 3k range with pave and sidestones are pretty common. And those are both very high quality well regarded brands.

Just saying. Yes, you can get it for less. Especially in white gold. But those are not overpriced.

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone.

I definitely started to sour on the jeweler when I asked about the sapphire color saturation, cut, etc and got a bunch of salespeak. Not a fan of that selling technique...I like facts and figures.

One question, though. What did you guys think of the finger coverage on the rings?

The more I think about it, the less I like the more filligreed ring...the stone looks so tiny on my fat fingers. I liked the coverage of the 3 stone ring better. Feedback?

I have such massive fingers (10.5) I am concerned that my mental budget of $5k is not going to be enough :confused:

Also, for a complete noob, do you suggest buying just a loupe, or that kit that shows the cut in color?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Total budget is 5 k with a sapphire center? Did you post on the colored stones board for advice? Those are the colored stone pros and they can eek miracles out of budgets. I think posting there is a good idea.

I also think the 3 stone looks is advisable for coverage.

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like the emerald cut for a RHR.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi TechieTechie, I think the 3 stone ring will provide the best finger coverage for you. And I agree with Gypsy that if you are going with a colored stone definitely post in the colored stone section as the ladies there are amazing at finding gorgeous gems. I love blue sapphires. It would look beautiful on your hand.

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all for the advice. Honestly, I'm getting very discouraged starting on my search due to my ring size. I really like vintage rings for the sake of environmental conservation (and I love getting a good deal) but I think I will have to go 100% new custom due to:

-90% of the ebay rings are under size 7.5, the minimal size I would need for any hope of resizing :(
-Not a big fan on most of the BDG, Whiteflash or IDG standard settings.
-For BDG and James Allen, I would have to go custom due to my ring size...and due to the delay in getting a custom ring quote, I couldn't use any black friday coupons :(

I did find 2 James Allen settings and 1 Whiteflash setting that I liked..but again, I would have to go 100% custom, negating the great coupons.

I'm really bummed. I think I will just buy some earrrings and stop the search for awhile. It sucks being overweight :wall:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look on Pearlmans for settings.

They have several nice ones. And if you call and ask for a Pricescope Discount, they will give you one if they can.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results