shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you roast or deep fry your turkey?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never tasted deep fried turkey are they good?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Convection Roast using the oven's probe, usually done in 1.5 hours and perfectly moist.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had deep fried at a relative's house one year. It was good but it wasn't great. I prefer the traditional roasted.

For a hilarious (but serious) warning about frying turkeys, go find Alton Brown's Good Eats -- "Fry Turkey, Fry"

If you roast it right, it is deliciously moist and flavorful. I see no need to add any extra fat!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We sort of alternate. Deep fried, if done right, is very moist... but it tastes a bit different (to me) than roast turkey... it tastes a bit more like ham. Frying is a really fast way to cook a turkey, but you do end up with a lot of leftover oil. TooPatient - I'm not sure that you're actually eating any extra fat. If so, it's probably because there's less fat cooking off.

cflutist|1416984574|3790635 said:
Convection Roast using the oven's probe, usually done in 1.5 hours and perfectly moist.

Hmmm... my parents' house has a convection oven but we've never tried cooking the turkey that way. Maybe we should give it a try!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
My SIL always does a brine and then bakes it, the best turkey by far.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only eat turkey under duress!

DK :))

NTave

Shiny_Rock
I don't think there is that big of a difference. I don't care for turkey anyway, but my ex husband did fry one and it was ok. We do the traditional roasted. I think the biggest flavor difference comes from frozen vs fresh. My family does opt for a fresh free range veg fed bird, but eh. They are all fowl.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Roasted, with lots of yummy veggies and drippings for gravy. I am a big fan of the delicious Thanksgiving scent it creates in the house too.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of turkeys, this is what happens when dear hubby leaves the front door open while chasing a wild flock of turkeys down the street. Some of the chicks decide to invade our house ... pooped on my desk in my office, ran all the way down the hall to hubby's office, also found some in the front bathroom. Lesson learned, never leave the front door open when chasing turkeys or deer away from our front yard.

Here are some of the turkeys in our neighbor's front yard:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

turkey_chicks_invading_house.jpg

wild_turkeys.jpg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wild turkeys! How cool!

I do mine brined and roasted. I have never deep fried it, and I would be terrified to.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
For the past couple of years, my oven space has become more difficult to manage (with the addition of more family and therefore, more food), so we decided to give the deep fried turkey a try. I don't know which is more wonderful: the yummy, moist bird with crispy skin or the fact that not roasting a bird, frees up my oven space :lol: I was worried about our homemade gravy & stuffing because I added the turkey roasting liquid (turkey drippings, turkey stock, etc.) to my stuffing and gravy. However, I learned an alternative method that work almost just as well. I let the turkey neck & some of the other giblets simmer in a pan on the stove in some turkey stock and we use that for our gravy & stuffing instead.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1417015519|3790707 said:
Speaking of turkeys, this is what happens when dear hubby leaves the front door open while chasing a wild flock of turkeys down the street. Some of the chicks decide to invade our house ... pooped on my desk in my office, ran all the way down the hall to hubby's office, also found some in the front bathroom. Lesson learned, never leave the front door open when chasing turkeys or deer away from our front yard.

Ahhhhhhhahahahahaha! :lol: :lol: :lol: :appl:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither. We smoke them. And they're considerably better than fried turkey. We used to smoke one and deep fry one but everyone liked the smoked so much better than now we just smoke two. Our turkeys have been brining for two days and get put in the smoker tonight. They'll slowly smoke all night and get taken out to rest tomorrow morning. They'll still be warm when it's time to serve them.

I'm sure my husband would sous vide them if we had a sous vide that could keep enough water heated.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My neighbor deep fried the turkey one year and ended up deep frying the entire house. The deck went on fire at 2 am. Never fry a turkey on a wooden deck!

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
AprilBaby|1417028511|3790789 said:
My neighbor deep fried the turkey one year and ended up deep frying the entire house. The deck went on fire at 2 am. Never fry a turkey on a wooden deck!

Luckily my mother in law always insists upon roasting one turkey each year, the rest we fry (usually 4-6 birds). One year DH could not get the oil to come up to temperature. He took the lid off the pot and the oil ignited. The flash fire shot 10feet up in the air. The thermometer had stopped working and the oil was so hot that ignited when the air hit it as he lifted the lid to check the oil. Luckily no one was hurt and we had a bird in the oven. The oil was ruined and the neighborhood smelled like burning plastic. You have to be really careful when frying. Always on a non flammable surface and never under a patio or in a garage, people burn their houses down like that. DH won't even do it under high tree branches anymore. Plus we now have 2 thermometers.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock

Luckily my mother in law always insists upon roasting one turkey each year, the rest we fry (usually 4-6 birds). One year DH could not get the oil to come up to temperature. He took the lid off the pot and the oil ignited. The flash fire shot 10feet up in the air. The thermometer had stopped working and the oil was so hot that ignited when the air hit it as he lifted the lid to check the oil. Luckily no one was hurt and we had a bird in the oven. The oil was ruined and the neighborhood smelled like burning plastic. You have to be really careful when frying. Always on a non flammable surface and never under a patio or in a garage, people burn their houses down like that. DH won't even do it under high tree branches anymore. Plus we now have 2 thermometers.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No muss, no fuss roasting. We cook turkey throughout the year. During the summer we grill it on the barbecue. We do not ever do brine. We don't do anything fancy. Always comes out perfect.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is pretty darn funny! We have partridges and ducks running around our yard all the time, but none in the house. Just the neighbour's cat.

cheers--Sharon

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

My uncle has wild turkeys all over his property. We call them the Turkey Mafia, they are bold, mean and unafraid of humans and will attack if they feel like it. I'll admit I am afraid of them. I've seen the damage a determined one can do to a car up close and personal.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Brined and roasted. We tried a bunch of fancy brines. They all taste the same. Now we do a basic brown sugar, water, pepper and salt brine (that's it) then we follow this recipe for the rest of it: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/perfect-roast-turkey-recipe4.html except we use a meat thermometer.

Turns out very good. You have to mind the temperature of the meat, and if you have a large bird (not a ten pounder) pull it out before and let it get up to temperature on the counter so it doesn't overcook.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Deep fried turkey is very tasty. We roast ours, however.

Smoked turkey is done a lot in Texas, but I'm not a fan.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cf...which one is your Thanksgiving dinner?... :bigsmile:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I forgot the most important part - after the brining but before the seasoning, the turkeys are slathered in rendered duck fat. Apparently this is essential. My husband could tell you all the reasons why but all I know is it makes it taste awesome.

Gypsy|1417038142|3790882 said:
Brined and roasted. We tried a bunch of fancy brines. They all taste the same. Now we do a basic brown sugar, water, pepper and salt brine (that's it) then we follow this recipe for the rest of it: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/perfect-roast-turkey-recipe4.html except we use a meat thermometer.

I think our brine is primarily apple cider. And then it's roasted on applewood. So it's very appley.

HollyS|1417038964|3790892 said:
Smoked turkey is done a lot in Texas, but I'm not a fan.

Come to our Thanksgiving and you'll change your mind. ;-)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ponder|1417032230|3790830 said:

We had thought about trying to deep fry one year. Alton Brown convinced us that it was a bad idea -- Fry Turkey Fry

Includes just exactly the bad things you both mentioned!

Since then, DH is happy with roasted turkey.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm from the South, so you know we're gonna fry a turkey -- it's the juiciest, best tasting preparation IMO, but you HAVE TO BE CAREFUL! :errrr: ;)) :lol: In the last few years, I've become a fan of smoked turkey as well... :))

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYONE!!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1417123169|3791388 said:
I'm from the South, so you know we're gonna fry a turkey -- it's the juiciest, best tasting preparation IMO, but you HAVE TO BE CAREFUL! :errrr: ;)) :lol: In the last few years, I've become a fan of smoked turkey as well... :))

Ditto, though I did roast mine today only because I had it roasting while we were visiting family the first half of the day. When I fry a turkey, I usually inject it with marinade 36-48 hours in advance and OMG! I injected the one I roasted today, and it was also delicious. And so juicy & tender it was falling off the bone when carving it up. But I missed that awesome fried flavor. :drool:

I can't stand a dry turkey; reminds me of rice cakes. LOL

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1417123855|3791392 said:
msop04|1417123169|3791388 said:

Ditto, though I did roast mine today only because I had it roasting while we were visiting family the first half of the day. When I fry a turkey, I usually inject it with marinade 36-48 hours in advance and OMG! I injected the one I roasted today, and it was also delicious. And so juicy & tender it was falling off the bone when carving it up. But I missed that awesome fried flavor. :drool:

I can't stand a dry turkey; reminds me of rice cakes. LOL

HA! Right?!! :lol:

Your injected/roasted turkey sounds delish! Sadly, I'm working today, and the "Thanksgiving Dinner" they brought for us was... lacking. ::)

I'm just a bit southeast of Bham, AL (but from southeast TN originally) -- what fine Southern area are you from JoCo?? :)) :))

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1416984462|3790634 said:
I have never tasted deep fried turkey are they good?
Nor have I, but I've seen lots of people light their lawns on fire.

I've only had it "baked in the oven" whatever that qualifies as. "NORMAL." lol I have never made one, ever, I have no idea how.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results