Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Yours??

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1415292121|3778601 said:
Marlow said:
TL, I love the first tourmaline - afghanistan??
:love:
weight?? Really beautiful!!

+2

I think I got that photo from attgems.com. In any case, it's not an Afghan, but it's a Mozambique cuprian. This goes to show you that you can find similar looking stones from other locations, no copper, that look very similar to a cuprian.

And no, I don't own it, but I do own some cuprians with similar color. I also have some Afghans too, and when comparing the gems, I don't find huge differences in saturation and tone.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1415287752|3778549 said:
TL|1415287256|3778548 said:
Really? I think it's the opposite, a very dark or black background can give the appearance of a stone "glowing." This is why I recommend, white or light gray backgrounds in gem photography. I don't have a problem with Adam's photo of that stone actually, and it is what it is, a nice turquoise blue tourmaline, and although I don't see extreme neon color, the color is very pleasant nonetheless. You get what you pay for in this particular case. Throw that in a rose gold setting, and I bet it pops. If you took that same stone and put it against a dark or black background, it would probably look intensely saturated and glowing, much like Leon's cab rings in his videos with black backgrounds.
That's why many of Leon's paraiba rings set lately are in blackened or oxidized metal. The contrast of light against dark allows the paraibas to glow stronger than they normally would if set in a regular metal setting.

That is a clever design. Huh. I always liked the oxidised metal look.

turial

Rough_Rock
Xrisus|1415286651|3778536 said:
Some examples, best I could find for now. The rounds are two different stones about 3.5-3.7 mm. The ovals are a set about 2.7 x 3.7mm and those are sold as a set. I have purchased from the vendor in the past and was happy. The individual rounds are less than $300, similar price for the set of ovals. I will not post the source in case somebody snatches them.

Hi Xrisus! Would you mind sharing the name of the vendor of the tiny stones? I've been looking for a cuprian tourmaline forever, maybe I have to be happy with a tiny one for now…

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results