carat
color
clarity

Let's talk baby names

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
amc80|1416963421|3790524 said:
Niel|1416962706|3790517 said:
I know when my M was born, I had a bit of postpartum. I felt just zero attachment to her. took me maybe a week or so.

Ditto. I didn't feel any connection to B for a while, at least a few weeks. It felt really awkward to even call him by his name instead of "the baby." Thank goodness we had his name picked beforehand.

This is good for me to know, ladies. I hadn't thought about needing time to get attached to the baby. Maybe that's why one of my friends didn't get named until after a month he was born.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1416956645|3790469 said:
Riley is totally a girl's name at this point. It is #156 for boys and #45 for girls. And it would be even higher for girls if you added in Rylee/Ryleigh/all of the other spellings.
I think Riley's going to get more popular with the release of a Pixar movie "Inside Out" next year. The main character is a girl named Riley: http://pixar.wikia.com/Riley_Anderson

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
My Rylee will be 11years old next month. There are many kids in her class with the same name, boy and girls. My brother tried to get me name her Iris, which wouldn't have fit her at all. Her Dad wanted to name her Emma. Which I hear all the time from her is what I should have went with.
Growing up always thought I would name my daughter Olivia or Kennedy I also liked Addison. I also always liked Skyler, and Hank for a boy.
I also like the name Karac.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was watching law and order reruns last night and one of the rapists was named one of our final choices. And he had our same last name too!

Blah!

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1417131392|3791433 said:
I was watching law and order reruns last night and one of the rapists was named one of our final choices. And he had our same last name too!

Blah!

Don't let it deter you. For so,e reason, a lot of Meredith tv characters are evil. Whyyyyyy?!

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
luvsdmb|1417031291|3790817 said:
My Rylee will be 11years old next month. There are many kids in her class with the same name, boy and girls. My brother tried to get me name her Iris, which wouldn't have fit her at all. Her Dad wanted to name her Emma. Which I hear all the time from her is what I should have went with.
Growing up always thought I would name my daughter Olivia or Kennedy I also liked Addison. I also always liked Skyler, and Hank for a boy.
I also like the name Karac.

Skyler and Hank would be straight out of Breaking Bad! Not that you would have known it at the time

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maccers|1417135315|3791459 said:

Blah!

Don't let it deter you. For so,e reason, a lot of Meredith tv characters are evil. Whyyyyyy?!
I know I know. one random tv character shouldn't bother me. My husband has the same name as a baseball player lol. But it was his first AND last name, and he was a rapist! :-o

At least that must mean I had a strong name picked out, as the character was a rich good looking business owner. lol

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I'm sure there's some kind of ritual that can be performed to excise rapist connotations from a baby name. :naughty:

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1417140017|3791510 said:
maccers|1417135315|3791459 said:

Blah!

I know I know. one random tv character shouldn't bother me. My husband has the same name as a baseball player lol. But it was his first AND last name, and he was a rapist! :-o

At least that must mean I had a strong name picked out, as the character was a rich good looking business owner. lol

I get where you're coming from...our favourite boy's names is a super evil character on a tv series. He has no redeeming qualities (other than being slightly good looking and it's implied he's a good lover, haha!).

podfoot

Rough_Rock
I've been trying to push LOTR names, but my SO won't have it... I might have made some headway with Tauriel from the 2nd hobbit movie, though! :angel: :angel: :angel:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just heard of new baby being named Elody. Thought the person forgot the M in the new mother delirium (oh, those were hard days :o ) but no, it's without M. Is this baby destined to correct everyone that it's not Melody but Elody?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
podfoot|1418700724|3801995 said:
I've been trying to push LOTR names, but my SO won't have it... I might have made some headway with Tauriel from the 2nd hobbit movie, though! :angel: :angel: :angel:
I know someone with a daughter named keelie (spell check of course) like one of the dwarves.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
podfoot|1418700724|3801995 said:
I know someone who named her daugter Arwen. I think it's pretty.

It was really hard to agree on any name with my SO!

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
baby monster|1418784376|3802714 said:
Just heard of new baby being named Elody. Thought the person forgot the M in the new mother delirium (oh, those were hard days :o ) but no, it's without M. Is this baby destined to correct everyone that it's not Melody but Elody?

I think it's the spelling that's more the problem. Elodie is a popular French name that is cropping up more regularly in Australia (where I live) too - I know three of them, all under the age of 3!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had considered seeing if JD would agree to Raistlin, and figured he'd scoff at it b/c it's from my Dragonlance books that I love so much and he used to tease me about marrying an elf and living in a mushroom. So a guy in town we know had a son, named him Raistlin, and JD tells me "Oh wow, that's a cool name!" bah.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1418932072|3803736 said:
I had considered seeing if JD would agree to Raistlin, and figured he'd scoff at it b/c it's from my Dragonlance books that I love so much and he used to tease me about marrying an elf and living in a mushroom. So a guy in town we know had a son, named him Raistlin, and JD tells me "Oh wow, that's a cool name!" bah.
Noooo! That's the worst!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know! Luckily we'd had a girl first, and then they had their boy, b/c if we'd had a boy first and named him Raistlin and then they did a year later I would've had a coronary.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively named their daughter James. Huh? Not that Blake is a typical girl's name anyway but James for a girl?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
baby monster said:
Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively named their daughter James. Huh? Not that Blake is a typical girl's name anyway but James for a girl?

It's funny, I had heard a rumor a few weeks ago that the name was James, but I assumed it was a boy. I was proud of them for using such a normal name! Fail.

April20

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1426890646|3850333 said:
baby monster said:

It's funny, I had heard a rumor a few weeks ago that the name was James, but I assumed it was a boy. I was proud of them for using such a normal name! Fail.

I'm just hoping they do the decent thing and call her Jamie.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, she's not the first to try and turn James unisex. I hate it, bjt its been gaining popularity. Just another reason I didn't pick it for my son, as if it wasn't popular enough already!

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
I was just thinking about this James thing after seeing Ryan Reynolds on the news last week. I get that gender neutral names are in, but wow, it seems like we are going to run out of boy names at the rate we're going. James is a family name we were somewhat considering for our baby boy. It's still such a popular baby boy name, which I was concerned about, but now that it might become used even more often as a girl name, it turns me off even more.

And speaking of names, I'm 23 weeks with boy/girl twins and am nowhere near close to having names picked out. With my son, DH and I were so on board with his name right from the start because it was a family name and a name we both really love. I have given my DH my top 3-4 names for each gender, and all he's said is, I haven't really thought about that, I'll have to think about it. That might work to my advantage though - maybe I'll just Iend with my choices by default. I think he's okay with my top girl name choice, but with twins, I want to make sure the names work together. I'm not planning on doing anything matchy matchy, but I just want them to be a similar style and sound good together and don't end up having nicknames that rhyme or something (I figured out that was a potential for two of the names I had listed).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1426887276|3850298 said:

I went to grad school with a girl whose mother is named James Ann (in her early 60's). There is a lady at our church named James, too... she looks to be in her mid to late 40's. Weird!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monkeyprincess|1427131452|3851346 said:
I was just thinking about this James thing after seeing Ryan Reynolds on the news last week. I get that gender neutral names are in, but wow, it seems like we are going to run out of boy names at the rate we're going. James is a family name we were somewhat considering for our baby boy. It's still such a popular baby boy name, which I was concerned about, but now that it might become used even more often as a girl name, it turns me off even more.

And speaking of names, I'm 23 weeks with boy/girl twins and am nowhere near close to having names picked out. With my son, DH and I were so on board with his name right from the start because it was a family name and a name we both really love. I have given my DH my top 3-4 names for each gender, and all he's said is, I haven't really thought about that, I'll have to think about it. That might work to my advantage though - maybe I'll just Iend with my choices by default. I think he's okay with my top girl name choice, but with twins, I want to make sure the names work together. I'm not planning on doing anything matchy matchy, but I just want them to be a similar style and sound good together and don't end up having nicknames that rhyme or something (I figured out that was a potential for two of the names I had listed).

I know what you mean, mp! My husband does work for a family with two little girls, Avery (which I adore for a girl) and Bradford. BRADFORD -- for a girl! WHAAATTTT????!!! I understand both are family names, but sheesh! (and she doesn't go by Brad or Bradley... BRADFORD) :|

Playing the naming game can be so frustrating... We've had the fn picked out for some time, but the mn is really difficult for us -- well, for me. :blackeye: Oh well... we shall see! ::)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monkeyprincess|1427131452|3851346 said:

My son was born before this happened but James is my father's name and after my son was born it was between James and the name we picked. I used to be on a baby naming forum and people were using that name on that site already. I wish I was one to not care about popularity, but as popular as it is I just couldn't do it.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Bumping this thread again to see if anyone happens to have any more baby names to throw out there! I think I've way overthought this issue and have no clue how to come to any resolution on baby names for my in utero boy/girl twins. I keep going to Swistle and Nameberry and other sites looking for inspiration, but nothing sounds right. It's so frustrating!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
monkeyprincess said:
Bumping this thread again to see if anyone happens to have any more baby names to throw out there! I think I've way overthought this issue and have no clue how to come to any resolution on baby names for my in utero boy/girl twins. I keep going to Swistle and Nameberry and other sites looking for inspiration, but nothing sounds right. It's so frustrating!

What is your style? We are still at least a year from even trying for #3, and we've already settled on names. Ha.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1430158643|3868508 said:
monkeyprincess said:

What is your style? We are still at least a year from even trying for #3, and we've already settled on names. Ha.
Samesies.
Lol

But yes, we can help. Give us some ideas.
What does your middle name sound like? You dont have to tell us what it is, but maybe something that rhymes. Or the amount of syllables and what letter it starts with.

What is your style? Vintage, biblical/traditional, modern, unique, from a particular culture?

Do you have anything decided yet, like wanting their names to be similar, to be honor names? To be gender neutral? How many middle names?

Can you post some names that are your style or your husbands style, even if they dont quite fit the bill?

What styles do you hate?

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
I guess I tend to like the vintagey names that are popular right now. I don't want the name to be top 10 or even top 20/30 if I can help it, but I also don't like names that are too weird.

My son's name is Everett, so I'm kind of stuck on names that sound good with that or are a similar style.

We have a one syllable last name that starts with a B, so I feel like multiple syllable names sound best.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results