shape
carat
color
clarity

Identifying a beryllium treated sapphire

deuteriumhusky

Rough_Rock
So I took one of my larger sapphires to a GIA certified gemologist and he preformed the water test on my larger stone and he believes that I have a natural white sapphire that's been treated with beryllium. This is because there's a concentration of blue coloring on the stone's pavilion. Can this concentration of color on the pavilion be due to color zoning instead?

He believes that another of my sapphires is synthetic because the stone lacks large scale color banding. When I took at look at the stone myself I saw very fine color banding. What are your thoughts?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Say what? I'm no sapphire expert, but I'm thinking those "tests" are not actually indicative of actual treatment. Hopefully someone who knows more about sapphires will come around.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
deuteriumhusky|1416865494|3789780 said:
So I took one of my larger sapphires to a GIA certified gemologist and he preformed the water test on my larger stone and he believes that I have a natural white sapphire that's been treated with beryllium. This is because there's a concentration of blue coloring on the stone's pavilion. Can this concentration of color on the pavilion be due to color zoning instead?

He believes that another of my sapphires is synthetic because the stone lacks large scale color banding. When I took at look at the stone myself I saw very fine color banding. What are your thoughts?

Um, sounds like zoning, which can happen in regular heated sapphires and unheated sapphires. I would send it to AGL for true confirmation of beryllium treatment.

Likewise, a sapphire can have even color throughout and be natural.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the new BE diffusion treatments, the water test is no longer sufficient as the final determination of diffusion treatment. That testing method is only for the older type diffusion where the colour does not fully penetrate the sapphire. Without seeing your sapphire, it is possible that there is colour zoning in your sapphire from your description. Not all sapphires will show large banding, some are very fine so again, that is not the determining factor.

deuteriumhusky

Rough_Rock
I was unable to take a decent picture of the stone that showed the color zoning so I had to record a short 14 second video. Does this look like color zoning/pattering to you or do you believe that this stone might discolored due to diffusion treatment? You can see on the outer rim that the stone is much lighter, even clear than the center of the stone, is this common in sapphires?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj9GQouAhzY&list=UUEvPpCdyaFcMdN2seYXpt3A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1416920366|3790170 said:
With the new BE diffusion treatments, the water test is no longer sufficient as the final determination of diffusion treatment.

True. Surface diffusion isn't the only kind of treatment you have to worry about.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just realized that you used water. To test for surface diffusion, the sapphire is not immersed in water but in pure methylene iodide and viewed under high magnification (microscope) with a white frosted plastic or glass plate covering the light source thereby creating a diffuse light field illumination.

liao

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1416923804|3790188 said:
I just realized that you used water. To test for surface diffusion, the sapphire is not immersed in water but in pure methylene iodide and viewed under high magnification (microscope) with a white frosted plastic or glass plate covering the light source thereby creating a diffuse light field illumination.

why most people in this forum sounds like alien :cheeky:

If I remember correctly, BE treatment will leave sapphire with nearly perfect circular/round shape like inclusion. If so, tried to look at the sapphire under microscope.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

pure methylene iodide.......I prefer a fine Islay Single Malt - smells a bit like Anderson Liquid - and I def. will not immerse an Ice cube!

Think we have no chance to see it...neither the inclusions nor the banding - an old stone maybe ...

Except Chrono and her lab.... :D

liao

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1416933829|3790266 said:

pure methylene iodide.......I prefer a fine Islay Single Malt - smells a bit like Anderson Liquid - and I def. will not immerse an Ice cube!

Think we have no chance to see it...neither the inclusions nor the banding - an old stone maybe ...

Except Chrono and her lab.... :D

Chrono... you own a gem lab? :shock: any special discount to fellow PSers?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
yes, you send 5 stones and get 4 back - fair price!! :D

She is waiting for your Alex....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
liao|1416932284|3790253 said:

If I remember correctly, BE treatment will leave sapphire with nearly perfect circular/round shape like inclusion. If so, tried to look at the sapphire under microscope.

I think I heard those referred to as "Saturn inclusions" because they had a ring like appearance.

If you can see internal crystals with jagged edges, well defined needles, silk, it probably hasn't been heated to the temps that are required for diffusion, but I could be wrong. I have to double check. I would be less worried if I saw those things though.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Marlow|1416938265|3790302 said:
yes, you send 5 stones and get 4 back - fair price!! :D

She is waiting for your Alex....

:lol:

liao

Shiny_Rock
:bigsmile:

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
TL|1416940986|3790337 said:
liao|1416932284|3790253 said:

I think I heard those referred to as "Saturn inclusions" because they had a ring like appearance.

If you can see internal crystals with jagged edges, well defined needles, silk, it probably hasn't been heated to the temps that are required for diffusion, but I could be wrong. I have to double check. I would be less worried if I saw those things though.

TL, by Saturn inclusions do you mean the discoid type below? When I looked up the term the other hit I got was 'Saturn-ring stress fracture in Spinel' (also below).

Also, can you get these discoid inclusions in stones that have been heated but not Beryllium treated?

Thanks

_24585.jpg

_24586.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, high heat is responsible for that...in high heated and diffused sapphires - course they are high heated too.

I think that the quality of diffusion is so high that we are not able to see it with our tools - maybe an old orange sapphire with typical inclusions and an uneven color on the surface.

Only intact rutil needles or better not melted negative crystals or apatite, diopside etc. are a sign for a not high heated sapphire.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1416977379|3790605 said:
Yes, high heat is responsible for that...in high heated and diffused sapphires - course they are high heated too.

I think that the quality of diffusion is so high that we are not able to see it with our tools - maybe an old orange sapphire with typical inclusions and an uneven color on the surface.

Only intact rutil needles or better not melted negative crystals or apatite, diopside etc. are a sign for a not high heated sapphire.

Marlow: While I know you are speaking about the inclusions as seen in the corundum, just in case anyone misunderstands, the second photo, the"saturn-ring stress fracture," or negative crystal, is in spinel a good telltale sign that it really is spinel. :))

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1416985145|3790637 said:
Marlow|1416977379|3790605 said:

Marlow: While I know you are speaking about the inclusions as seen in the corundum, just in case anyone misunderstands, the second photo, the"saturn-ring stress fracture," or negative crystal, is in spinel a good telltale sign that it really is spinel. :))

You Know me !! :)

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Minous and Marlow.

I sometimes see on vendor listings 'low traditional heat only' or somesuch phrase.

Would these discoid inclusions not occur with 'low heat only'? Is there actually such a thing as low heat compared to high heat or is it just a marketing thing?

If not, is a 'high heat' sapphire generally less valuable than a 'low heat' sapphire identical in virtually every other regard?
And finally, if there is such a thing as 'low heat' and you can tell the stone has been heated but not to high temperature, does this mean it cannot have undergone diffusion?

Thanks again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results