shape
carat
color
clarity

moonstone & diamond platinum ring - good buy?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw this recently and it was just over $4K. I'm sorry I don't have better pics or diamond weight, but I was just looking and not planning on buying anything. However, I am still thinking about it. A lot. It is in very good shape. At the time, I thought the price was high since it is a moonstone and not a precious stone, but I'm not knowledgeable about antiques so maybe it is spot on. What do you think a fair price would be? I'm seriously thinking about getting it, and if I do want to buy it at a good price. Thanks for your help.

_22170.jpg

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Maybe ask the folks over at the colored stone section of the forum? They would have a better idea of moonstone values
$4k sounds a little high though.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely ring! The price seems a bit high to me, I would try to negotiate on the price and see what happens, it's worth a try. I would offer $3000 - $3500 and see what happens. The setting is platinum, which counts for something. I'm curious as to the carat weight and color of the diamonds, they look like decent sized stones. Hard to tell the quality of them from the pic. It's hard to put a value on these vintage pieces sometimes and find if I really love a piece and know I will wear it and enjoy it a lot I don't mind paying a little more for it. There's an interesting discussion going on in hangout about determining the value of things bought on the second hand market.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a very pretty ring but the price is also very high; I would negotiate heavily.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the helpful replies Chrono, Junebug and Hopedream. I tried to negotiate with the store owner, but he said he just got it in so he is holding firm on price for a few months. I'll check back with him then and if it has sold then it wasn't meant to be. I'd rather pass than overpay so your thoughts on the price were really helpful.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for checking in kgizo, I've been wondering about what you decided to do - sorry the seller won't budge, these vendors can be stubborn lol! Good idea to check back in a few months. In the meantime, maybe you can browse around on the internet to see what else is out there and just to get a feel for pricing on this type of ring. If nothing else, it's fun to window shop!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yippee, it's mine!! I went to visit it yesterday and was able to talk the owner down to mid $3K so I bought it. I didn't find any marks on it which is a bummer because I would love to learn more about it. Better iphone pics below.

_24561.jpg

_24562.jpg

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty piece! Congrats on your find, and especially for sticking with it and ultimately getting what you want!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your beautiful new ring. So feminine & pretty!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results