shape
carat
color
clarity

Necklace vs Bracelet Pearl Size

eander315

Rough_Rock
I am looking at single-strand pearl bracelets for my wife, but I'm not sure what size pearls I should be looking at. I bought her a 6.5-7mm Akoya pearl necklace (cream overtone) from Pearls of Joy a couple of years ago based on reviews here (she loves them!), and I am looking for advice about pearl size for the bracelet. I have searched this forum but haven't found any information about this specifically.

Should the pearls in the bracelet match the size of the pearls in the necklace? Does it matter? I'm assuming there is a general standard for this, but maybe there isn't. She would wear these mostly at work or evening dinner/drinks with professional colleagues, and maybe occasionally with jeans. She's in her mid-30's, if that makes a difference.

Thank you all for any help you can offer. I rarely post, but I have been reading these forums for years and never buy anything without reading the opinions and advice here first.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To wear them together, I'd match them. 6.5-7mm is a delicate size, but if she loves her necklace and it suits her, a similar sized bracelet would too.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not into matching jewellery at all, and prefer the mix and match approach.

I do not believe there is a set rule with regard to pearl size in a set, however, reputable vendors such as Pearl Paradise and Pearls of Joy offer sets with same size pearls for necklace, bracelet and earrings.

Personally, if I were to get a matching set of pearls myself, I would opt for larger sizes in earrings, and smaller ones in a double strand for bracelet (or larger ones in a tin cup style bracelet).

Therefore, I would be having 10mm for a pair of earrings, 8mm for necklace and 6mm for a double strand bracelet (or 9mm for a tin cup bracelet).

That's just my personal preferences.

Good luck with your purchase.

DK :))

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I had a small single strand bracelet. Mine was multi-color, which added some interest, but to me it still just lacked wow factor or looked like it was for a young girl, and I passed it on. I mean if wearing something or not seems about the same either way, why bother, right? Also, I don't like that look where the necklace, bracelet and/or earrings look like they were bought as a set and all match perfectly. For the same reason, I think it lacks wow factor. It's just too expected or "cookie cutter." Then again, others do like that look so that's just me and not meaning to put down anyone else's preferences.

I have a double strand bracelet with a fancy clasp (shown below) and love it. I wear it for dress up or with jeans. It's freshwater, which helps the cost hugely, but very round and shiny and if I didn't know better, I'd think it was akoya (smaller pearls tend to have sharper luster). Also, freshwater pearls are nacre all the way through rather than around a shell bead like akoya, so it holds up for the rougher wear a bracelet gets.

This place is owned by the brother of the owner of Pearl Paradise and he's very nice and reliable:

http://store.thepearloutlet.com/2-strand-freshwater-white-pearl-bracelet-with-flower-clasp-7mm-aaa-7-12-p217.aspx

Also, if you get a chance, we love photos and would love to see what you get! :)

double_bracelet.jpg

my_hands.jpg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I love pearl bracelets, especially Akoya. So pretty!

If the bracelet and necklace have the same size pearls and clasps, you can use the bracelet as an extender for the necklace.

Be aware, the fishhook clasps on pearl bracelets can be challenging to put on by yourself. You can usually slide them over your hand, but that tends to weaken the silk.

A larger size pearl will make the bracelet fit smaller. I think most of my pearl bracelets are 8mm and 7 1/2", which is probably considered average.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
I would think a similar mm size would be good, especially since she loves the necklace, but I would also consider a tin cup style for a little more fun!

eander315

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the replies! I now have a lot more to think about. I never really considered the other options. After looking at the pearls from the trusted sellers sticky I am now thinking of getting her two bracelets: one with round pearls to go with her existing necklace, and possibly one baroque or Tahitian for more casual wear (depending on price). I need to read up on those more before going any further with that idea, though it's not entirely out of the budget ballpark.

As for the round pearls I'm split between one like the double strand Seaurchin posted (or that one exactly) and the Akoya single strand bracelet I was originally considering. I also need to look at tin cup styles as well. Given the options of using the bracelet as an extender, buying a non matching bracelet to wear with the necklace, or just buying entirely different pearls to wear separate from the necklace, I'm considering showing her the options to let her choose. I think she will be happy with any of them, but it seems better to get her involved since she will be wearing them.

Thank all of you again, and I will definitely post pictures of whatever we end up with. I just looked and I don't even have a good photo of her existing pearls, so I'll be sure to take some.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
eander15 - I can't wait to see what you two come up with!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results