clarity

How much SHOULD this house cost?

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1415711641|3781226 said:
missy|1415710386|3781209 said:
Niel|1415709012|3781195 said:
Rena7|1415708591|3781193 said:
Where I live maybe $130,000. That is one of the reasons I live here.
Hahahaha. SAme for me.

I wish I could find a town we could be happy living in for a great quality of life at a more affordable price so we would be able to retire at a reasonable age. I guess it is all about compromises and what your specific needs are. I know I have been thinking about this issue for many years now and cannot find a place where cost of living is more affordable, where the climate is good for us (well for me as my dh likes the change of seasons and can tolerate the cold much better than I can...my ideal is mild and sunny most of the time) and there is plenty of culture and life around. And other amenities of course but just naming a few. Also don't want to be too far from family as parents are getting older so that limits us as well.

Gypsy, have you decided where you guys are moving to yet?

I think I am quite lucky to live where I do. I live outside a town called Grand Rapids. Good cultural scene, great hospitals, the surrounding towns have good school districts, the weather is hard for people with the lake effect snow, but other than that I'm quite happy with where we live. I can handle the snow, so that's not a bother.

It gets ranked in the top 10 often for "rising cities" or "best places to raise a family"... Things like that. Best ranking we usually get is " beer city" :lol:

I live south of GR. Grand Rapids is the closest "big city". That's where we go shopping if we want to drive further than the stores off of M-6. Celebration Cinema North used to be our main movie place but they just closed the candy store next to it so now we have no reason to go that far and will hit Celebration South for all the holiday movies. Who knew there were Pricescopers in my back yard. :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
makemepretty|1416571895|3787841 said:
Who knew there were Pricescopers in my back yard. :wavey:

Our people are everywhere. :devil: :devil:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in Durham and I think prices range around 100-200 a square foot, depending on neighborhood. Some neighborhoods getting a little ridiculous, but nothing like where some of you live! Down the street from us is a quarter acre empty lot for sale for 175K and there is now a bidding war for it. Glad I got my house when I did.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
part gypsy|1416695269|3788669 said:
I live in Durham and I think prices range around 100-200 a square foot, depending on neighborhood. Some neighborhoods getting a little ridiculous, but nothing like where some of you live! Down the street from us is a quarter acre empty lot for sale for 175K and there is now a bidding war for it. Glad I got my house when I did.
North Carolina? Really? That surprises me.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
I just think it is amazing the differences in prices, just goes to show you location is everything, I am in Minnesota about 60 miles north of the twin cities and that house would probably be about 150,000. I love to watch that show about realtors in NYC and am just amazed how much these little dinky apartments are and I wonder where do the real people live?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1416545667|3787769 said:
Distracts: Where in that area should I be looking? DH is very set on good schools and we might adopt. And it is likely I would be working in Richardson or Plano. =)

If you would likely be working in Richardson or Plano, then both of those are obviously good options. As the suburbs have crept out, Plano has become less typically suburban. Old downtown Plano is a delightful little place with some great restaurants. Allen has great schools, and a nice outlet mall. Either way, I'd concentrate on living not too far from 75 since it will take you anywhere you need to go. McKinney and Frisco are too far north - you'd probably hate the commute. I know a TON of people who live up there and drive to Richardson for work and it sounds miserable. So obviously I'm only recommending northern suburbs.

If you can find a house you like in Dallas-Dallas, there are some good high schools here. Particularly the magnets, two of which regularly top US News and Newsweek top public schools in the nation lists. http://www.city-data.com/forum/dallas/1858702-u-s-news-2013-best-high.html#b

Look at my baes still topping the list :love: :love: :love: :
http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/national-rankings/magnet-school-rankings

I honestly have no clue what the school situation in Carrolton is but it's a decent place to live. I think technically in Collin County though - and if you're concerned about a political situation, Collin County is still solidly R while Dallas County is solidly D. Richardson is the only northern suburb whose state rep seat is remotely competitive. Collin County is also home to State Rep Jodie Laubenberg, whose claim to fame is saying that women can "get cleaned out" with rape kits at a hospital and seeming to believe that rape kits prevent pregnancy, thus rendering abortions unnecessary. (Well, if there's one good thing about the state legislature, it's that it provides some entertainment. Horrifying, terrible entertainment.) So, I mean, feel free to move into her district and vote against her with great prejudice.

Don't live in Garland. Or Sachse. I don't know why you would look at Sachse, but don't. It lives up to the rural Texas stereotype. I don't know anything about Addison because I've never worked there (possibly the only place in Dallas or Tarrant Counties that I've never worked in).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
distracts|1416718163|3788819 said:
Distracts: Where in that area should I be looking? DH is very set on good schools and we might adopt. And it is likely I would be working in Richardson or Plano. =)

If you would likely be working in Richardson or Plano, then both of those are obviously good options. As the suburbs have crept out, Plano has become less typically suburban. Old downtown Plano is a delightful little place with some great restaurants. Allen has great schools, and a nice outlet mall. Either way, I'd concentrate on living not too far from 75 since it will take you anywhere you need to go. McKinney and Frisco are too far north - you'd probably hate the commute. I know a TON of people who live up there and drive to Richardson for work and it sounds miserable. So obviously I'm only recommending northern suburbs.

If you can find a house you like in Dallas-Dallas, there are some good high schools here. Particularly the magnets, two of which regularly top US News and Newsweek top public schools in the nation lists. http://www.city-data.com/forum/dallas/1858702-u-s-news-2013-best-high.html#b

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/national-rankings/magnet-school-rankings

I honestly have no clue what the school situation in Carrolton is but it's a decent place to live. I think technically in Collin County though - and if you're concerned about a political situation, Collin County is still solidly R while Dallas County is solidly D. Richardson is the only northern suburb whose state rep seat is remotely competitive. Collin County is also home to State Rep Jodie Laubenberg, whose claim to fame is saying that women can "get cleaned out" with rape kits at a hospital and seeming to believe that rape kits prevent pregnancy, thus rendering abortions unnecessary. (Well, if there's one good thing about the state legislature, it's that it provides some entertainment. Horrifying, terrible entertainment.) So, I mean, feel free to move into her district and vote against her with great prejudice.

Don't live in Garland. Or Sachse. I don't know why you would look at Sachse, but don't. It lives up to the rural Texas stereotype. I don't know anything about Addison because I've never worked there (possibly the only place in Dallas or Tarrant Counties that I've never worked in).

Okay this is fantastic information. I'd like to stay away from "WAY TOO REPUBLICAN" if I can.

And a short commute for me is pretty much a must. But schools are important too.

Listen, on a different note are there any private schools that are good and LIBERAL.

I think my head would explode if my kid came home with an essay assignment on creationism or a creationism text book.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much Distracts.

I am so ready move, it's crazy!!!

Ahh well... have to bide our time. But next year I'd love to be HAPPILY living somewhere other than Nor Cal by the time the holidays roll around!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
artdecogirl|1416703180|3788719 said:
I just think it is amazing the differences in prices, just goes to show you location is everything, I am in Minnesota about 60 miles north of the twin cities and that house would probably be about 150,000. I love to watch that show about realtors in NYC and am just amazed how much these little dinky apartments are and I wonder where do the real people live?

Haha, in Brooklyn that's where. :bigsmile: If you want a good amount of space with outdoor space too that is. Lived in Manhattan for about a decade and I love living in Brooklyn now. It's home and even if we could afford as big of a place in Manhattan I wouldn't move there. Too crowded, noisy and crowded (it's that crowded that I am writing it twice) for me. And I love our neighborhood. Didn't find anything like that in Manhattan when my dh and I were living there.

Gypsy said:
Thank you so much Distracts.

I am so ready move, it's crazy!!!

Ahh well... have to bide our time. But next year I'd love to be HAPPILY living somewhere other than Nor Cal by the time the holidays roll around!

Good luck Gypsy. I hope your dream will become a reality at least by then if not before!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1416698157|3788684 said:
part gypsy|1416695269|3788669 said:
North Carolina? Really? That surprises me.

I live near downtown Durham, so those are the neighborhoods I'm thinking of. The prices are less in more out of the way neighborhoods/out of town.
I'm trying to get my Mom to move down here. It is still a deal compared to where she is moving from, but not as much as a deal as it used to be.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1416724365|3788843 said:
distracts|1416718163|3788819 said:

Okay this is fantastic information. I'd like to stay away from "WAY TOO REPUBLICAN" if I can.

And a short commute for me is pretty much a must. But schools are important too.

Listen, on a different note are there any private schools that are good and LIBERAL.

I think my head would explode if my kid came home with an essay assignment on creationism or a creationism text book.

dear Gypsy, you are moving to Texas: the best you can do is the Austin area and even that is too Republican for me [and we're just too much alike!].
I know you really do want an affordable home for you and your hubby as well as future children.
but at what price to your mental health?!
a few years? sure.
but I don't see you as the "i can hide who I am" type or the "i can stuff my feelings and beliefs for 20 years" type, either.

no news here: the thing about life and everything is that there are always tradeoffs. the crass and gross way I talk about it with my husband is "which bag of shit are you/we/i willing to carry?"........only you and your husband can make that decision.

once you are there, you are there. once you have kids, you are really there. one thing you can do re the creationism issue is to become active in the community and get on the school board. however, if you are in an area where creationism already has a foothold in the schools you probably won't be able to do anything about it much less get on the school board. I know a guy that did this in Oklahoma but he was from there already and when they moved back and he and his wife had lots of family there. he was able to get on the school board and fight the creationism tide. however, like I said, he was from there originally. you? coming from California you will be eyed with some suspicion if not to your face, behind your back. how can I possibly know this? well, I have an aunt who moved to Denton in the 1980's and she has shared her experiences with me.

you know I wish you the best of luck with this, gypsy. and I know i'm being sally downer. :oops: :lol:
my hope is that you get the job and rent a few years before you make the commitment to buying a home and having children.
and my biggest hope of all? that I've been sally downer all for nothing! yes, I hope i'm worrying for nothing and am Wrong!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hiya MZ. You are being a realist. And you know I appreciate that. Anjd DH and I share your concerns. We have decided to give it 3 years. If after 3 years we hate it we'll move. As for kids... right now we couldn't afford them. And honestly not for a while even after we move. We'll cross that bridge as they say. People move with kids all the time. My folks did. Kids adjust. ;))

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1416724365|3788843 said:

AFAIK most of the good private schools are liberal or at least science-based. I went to an Episcopalian school and, well, they're Episcopal, so they're cool. There are a number of good Episcopalian schools in the area - not just Episcopal School of Dallas, which is the behemoth of them. There are a few Methodist schools. There are the all-girls and all-boys schools - Hockaday and Ursuline (girls) and St Marks and Jesuit and Cistercian (boys) - and they're really good. There is also Greenhill, which is a nonreligious private school, and it's fantastic (it's, uh, idk if this is politically correct to say, but all the Jews go to it). I think it's probably technically the most liberal. Those are the mammoths. There are also a bunch of smaller excellent private schools - mostly religiously affiliated, but mostly much better academically in terms of actual facts, science, and sex ed than the public schools. It would take forever to list them, but there are a ton. Well, then there are Bishop Lynch and Bishop Dunne, which are Catholic, and they're good, I guess, but they're where it starts to get dodgy with how much respect is accorded to religious belief over fact. And they have well-deserved reputations for partying even more crazily than the single-sex schools. BL was THE party school to us in high school. There are also the Baptist schools, with the biggie being First Baptist Academy, but, uh, well, this is what it says on FBA's website: "First Baptist Academy exists to glorify God through the development and discipleship of the next generation of Christian scholars." Yeah no. The Baptists are cray, don't send kids there. But basically, even the religious schools are fine as long as the denomination is fine. And I imagine that holds true nationwide, not just in TX.

Well over half the people I know who grew up in Dally went to at least one of these for at least one year. I went to Methodist and Episcopalian schools. Spent much of my life going to chapel every morning. So did my brother. We were both solidly and openly atheist by fourth grade. It was never a problem.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1416765402|3789070 said:
I know you really do want an affordable home for you and your hubby as well as future children.
but at what price to your mental health?!
a few years? sure.
but I don't see you as the "i can hide who I am" type or the "i can stuff my feelings and beliefs for 20 years" type, either.

Why would anyone have to hide who they are? It's Texas in the 21st Century, not Spain in the 15th.

I mean, you know I'm a feminist atheist liberal in Texas, and I'm open about everything I am and perfectly fine here. I am FAR more open about my beliefs IRL than I am on PS and I rarely encounter problems. And the problems I HAVE encountered have all been in the course of my work.... which is in politics. My husband works in a field that's highly Republican and he has no issues. And he LOVES needling people about their beliefs.

Even in the "really Republican" suburbs/exurbs, as long as you're still in the vicinity of a major city, the share of the Democratic vote won't drop below, like, 30%. Sure, a third isn't a majority, but it's hardly "I need to hide who I am because I will be persecuted" levels either. And fewer than half of the voting-eligible population votes, and those who don't usually don't vote because they don't fit neatly into any party category.

And re: political carpetbagging, there's a lot of history there and yes, outsiders running for office is looked upon with suspicion. But in terms of people from other states just... settling in? Most of Texas's growth, and much of Texas's increasing liberalness, is due to people from more liberal states moving in because of the economy and cost of living. In any major city here it's not unusual at all.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My uncle is right wing. My cousins are not at all, socially, right wing. Their SO/wives are staunchly left wing. My aunt is confused. LOL.

None of them have any issues. And I've been to TX a number of times. I know that in blue collar jobs there is a strong right wing bias, even in Austin. One of my friends is a machinist and even in Austin what he heard/saw was pretty darned bad at his job. But neither DH or I are in a blue collar field.

It just depends on how much it affects us day to day, distracts. And we won't know that till we get there.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
you've got a good head on your shoulders, Gypsy.
my visits to an aunt in Denton left much to be desired.....and her experiences having moved from California to texas certainly was a shock to her system.
admittedly, more people [liberal types] are moving to texas and things will be changing i'm sure.
3 years will give you ample time to make a decision...and you're right that kids adjust. some more easily than others to be sure but it has been done and can be done again.
as always, good luck!
and you know I mean that sincerely!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1416814716|3789407 said:
you've got a good head on your shoulders, Gypsy.
my visits to an aunt in Denton left much to be desired.....and her experiences having moved from California to texas certainly was a shock to her system.
admittedly, more people [liberal types] are moving to texas and things will be changing i'm sure.
3 years will give you ample time to make a decision...and you're right that kids adjust. some more easily than others to be sure but it has been done and can be done again.
as always, good luck!
and you know I mean that sincerely!

I do honey, I do. I know you are looking out for me and just concerned. And I appreciate that very much, and you have helped me really think about things and start conversations with my husband I wouldn't otherwise have had. So, please know, sincerely, that I really appreciate all your posts very much.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thank you, gypsy, it means a lot to know that you understand the "why" of my postings......

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This "Judgmental Map" of Dallas neighborhoods is reasonably accurate. You can see there is even an area labeled "California Transplants."

http://whateverblog.dallasnews.com/2014/07/dallas-judgmental-map-shows-what-youre-missing-by-staying-in-your-bubble.html/judgemental-map/

See the dashed-in rectangle labeled "Entitled Republicans"? Don't live there. Shop there, but don't live there.

Last year there was this epically long series on best neighborhoods in Dallas:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/best-neighborhoods/

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What does "douche" mean/refer to in this context?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Religious wackadoddles. Religious Wingnuts. Rednecks. Then scary rednecks???

That make is horrifying. Funny. And oddly enlightening.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fratty dudes in polos who think they're the shit, etc. Standard "Dallas" stuff. According to Urban Dictionary, "a word to describe an individual who has shown themself to be very brainless in one way or another," "1. George W. Bush, president of the United States."* I'm not sure why they labeled "North Douche" such because it is basically the same people as "Ranch House" and "Northern Ho-Hum." Generally just... regular neighborhoods. Not hip like the closer to downtown areas, but not as boring as the suburbs. Everyone I know who lives in that area is like a married college professor or lawyer or nurse with a kid or two and a dog. Like I said... reasonably accurate.

*He lives in Preston Hollow, which is helpfully labeled on the map as "Bushville." Other people who live in Preston Hollow include pro athletes, some of the most baller Dems in the state, more pro athletes, this house with the CREEPIEST art collection ever(they don't have the super creepy stuff on the website, like the head carved into frozen blood that is displayed in a refrigerator with windows), some more pro athletes, and a bunch of more regular people who live in more regular homes that don't cost millions, just like a million.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1416893819|3790050 said:
Religious wackadoddles. Religious Wingnuts. Rednecks. Then scary rednecks???

That make is horrifying. Funny. And oddly enlightening.

Haha, yeah, they have these maps for most big cities and they always crack me up. The stereotypes of a place are a thing you pick up when you live there for a long time that aren't immediately obvious to outsiders, so I thought it might be helpful, or at least entertaining. (In case you can't figure this out on your own, "Weird Giraffe Thingie" marks the Dallas Zoo). As well, the "Religous Wingnuts" label really needs to be a little farther east. The whole area northeast of the lake is former hippies who took corporate jobs and had kids. But on the other side of THAT is religious wingnuts.

Like here's the SF one - http://judgmentalmaps.com/post/83644463249/sanfrancisco

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is actually the one that captures places closer to where I live/have lived: http://judgmentalmaps.com/post/94836789715/southbay

And actually it is making me LMAO. Place to stash bodies is And scenic on weekends hell on weekdays is where I'd love to live. I am a wanna be nature and outdoorsy freak, I guess.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've actually never been to that area! Everyone I know in the bay area is in SF (tech friends) or Oakland (artsy friends).

And omg "Bridge to Plebeian Poors" sounds like a thing we would have in Dallas. I mean, we used to have that, even, but then the area gentrified.

If you like naturey areas in the city, Oak Cliff, Lakewood, and Old Lake Highlands + some of Lake Highlands, + really anywhere near White Rock Lake are really good for that. I mean, the thing with sprawl is that if the houses are older and the trees are older, the neighborhood can look much more naturey than suburban areas. There's a lot in the far north dallas area that's very naturey as well.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Singapore, perhaps US$13-15mil..

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
simplysplendid|1417615011|3794466 said:
Singapore, perhaps US$13-15mil..

LMAO: it is all relative, isn't it?!

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, Singapore is a small country and the bigger the piece of scarce land you own, the higher the price tag. Bungalows with such land size are typically in good districts, hence the price tag..

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
simplysplendid said:
Yeah, Singapore is a small country and the bigger the piece of scarce land you own, the higher the price tag. Bungalows with such land size are typically in good districts, hence the price tag..
I hear you. Hong Kong is the same way. Even a parking space will cost you US$600,000 here... [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33]

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
distracts|1417069075|3791116 said:
I've actually never been to that area! Everyone I know in the bay area is in SF (tech friends) or Oakland (artsy friends).

And omg "Bridge to Plebeian Poors" sounds like a thing we would have in Dallas. I mean, we used to have that, even, but then the area gentrified.

If you like naturey areas in the city, Oak Cliff, Lakewood, and Old Lake Highlands + some of Lake Highlands, + really anywhere near White Rock Lake are really good for that. I mean, the thing with sprawl is that if the houses are older and the trees are older, the neighborhood can look much more naturey than suburban areas. There's a lot in the far north dallas area that's very naturey as well.

I like trees and nature and hills. Unfortuntely DH hates trees, though I might be able to talk him into it in TX for shade, and hills are not available in Dallas area last few times I was there. It was a flat as an ironing board.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results