shape
carat
color
clarity

The "I need help finding a nice present" thread.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So... if you need help brainstorming ideas for that hard to buy for shopper... post it here.

And yes, I do have an ulterior motive!
My DH and I decided that instead of going for quality over quantity and getting one or two nice gifts, we wanted to have a Christmas reminiscent of our first ones as broke students and focus on less expensive 'fun' or 'thoughtful' gifts this year.

Sounds great right? Except it's completely stumped me. The problem with it is... if it's inexpensive and fun-- we usually just buy it for ourselves.

Still and all I thought I'd ask for suggestions. No one item over 70 bucks is my preference. But if there is something spectacular up to 100 I may spring for it.
Any suggestions appreciated.

PLEASE feel free to post asking for help for your challenging gift needs!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Opps, I should probably tall you something about him huh?
Age 41
Loves Whiskey, particularly Scotch and Bourbon.
Loves good cigars
Enjoys video games (favorites are Dragon Age series Mass Effect series, Batman Arkham series, The Last of US-- he's playing Dragon Age Inquisition now as a matter of fact).
Loves comics, favorite super hero is Batman.
Loves LOTR and Star Wars
Loves cats
Snarky/sarcastic funny T-shirts

Yes, he's a bit of a nerd. But he's my nerd.

:wavey: :wavey:

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really want this T-shirt for him, but can't find it anywhere. Sheldon wears it in the Septum Deviation episode of Big Bang Theory:

sheldon_batman_shirt_the_septum_deviation1.jpg

sheldon_batman_shirt_the_septum_deviation.png

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That shirt is difficult to find he wore this one in a different episode;

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Symbols-T-Shirt-Charcoal-Small/dp/B00CBJFA94/ref=sr_1_30?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1416649404&sr=1-30&keywords=batman+t+shirt+men

There are a lot of cool looking ones on Amazon & the superhero shop;

ttp://www.superherostuff.com/batman/t-shirts/batman-symbol-and-logo-variations-t-shirt.html?itemcd=tsbatlotslogos&source=sas

Does he like gadgets? Mine likes things like good quality flashlights and multitools, and gadgets for doing things. Does he like cooking gadgets? A new game of some sort?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does he want or need Goat Simulator? And great news! It's now a MMO too! http://www.goat-simulator.com/

The Marvel Lego video game is also really great. I don't recall Batman being in it, I think he's DC not Marvel. http://www.amazon.com/Lego-Marvel-Super-Heroes-Xbox-360/dp/B00B98HF1O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416649947&sr=8-1&keywords=marvel+lego+video+game

Funny t-shirt my friend has. https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/210004425/id-love-to-stay-and-chat-but-i-really?ref=market

Nice decanter for his drinks and if he's into vintage, labels for them. http://www.ebay.com/itm/English-Sterling-Silver-Decanter-Label-Bottle-Tag-for-Whisky-/231380083351?pt=UK_Antiques_Silverware_RL&hash=item35df53e297 Along the vintage line, a tantalus for his spirits - you'd really have to hunt to get one of those under $100 though!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
He owns many of those already, arkieb, but I will look through them again, thank you.

That particular one I posted he loves, and so do I. I do wish I could find it.

Snowdrop, he's so boring. It's all grey, navy, grey, beige and browns-- neutrals for the most part. I don't think I could get him to wear green, unfortunately.

I also bought him this T: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Riot-Society-Cat-Paws-Tee-Mens-White-T-Shirt-New-NWT/360788699447?_trksid=p2050601.c100259.m3454&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140813124757%26meid%3Db152a1f13ebc40f4a2d928b5b23632bd%26pid%3D100259%26prg%3D20140813124757%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D400706396416%26clkid%3D2120853770053059930&_qi=RTM1963930 He as another "Paws" t-shirt (from Urban Outfitters) already, so I know he'll love it.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I saw "whisky" and "Scotch", I immediately thought of single malts and Glencairn whisky glass, allegedly developed especially for single malts. I came across these glasses during my camping trip in Scotland in 2012 when I visited a distillery for single malts called Tomatin in the Highlands. It was during the whisky tasting at the end of the tour that I discovered my liking for milder single malts.

I did not buy one at the distillery as I wanted a plain one without engraving, and missed the opportunity to get one during my trip.

I bought one via eBay when I got back home instead, and returned to the same seller when I needed to get a pair of these glasses as a leaving present for a dear colleague. Here is a listing for a pair of these glasses with lids. The lid is supposed to help or enhance the enjoyment of the tasting process. The seller has a number of different gift sets, perhaps one may suit if this one does not.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Quanty-...ith-Tasting-Top-in-Gift-Cartons-/181456523323

The Whisky Exchange as a number of Single Malt gift sets with miniature or small bottles of whiskies, as far as I am aware, they ship world wide:

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/D-656.aspx

Lastly, a water dropper for diluting Single Malts minimising the risk of over-dilution. This one is quite fancy with a cute distillation still at one end, I got one for myself that is plainer and cheaper while visiting a glass factory during the same camping trip, and it works!

Good luck and have fun shopping.

DK :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much guys!

The T-shirt suggestions are all fantastic. I especially like the mustache one. I am going to have to decide how many T-shirts I want to get him. So far I've bought 1. So I think a total of three is reasonable. Pancake Rabbit is on the 'possibilities' list, so is the Mustache. I thought this one was hysterical FYI for anyone ill looking: http://www.zazzle.com/thats_how_i_roll_toilet_paper_tee_shirt-235398566763070037

The whiskey suggestions are great. He has the whiskey stones (last Christmas) and he has the giant round ice cube maker (highly suggest if you need a gift for someone who likes whiskey) and he has a set of the Glencairn glasses (I bought him those too), and also the Glencairn Canadian Whiskey glasses. Unfortunately, he doesn't decant, so the labels, though lovely, wouldn't work.

The eyedropper is on the list!!! Thank you dk18. I think this one is a definite go!

The Goat simulator---- OMG-- ROFLMAO. Rhea, were you saving that one up for a good laugh? Cause you definitely got one.

I'm off to investigate the Lego game.

Baby Monster, I will keep the flashlight on the list for when we have a house. It's a great suggestion, but in an apartment we wouldn't get much use out of it.

Thanks guys. I'd love more suggestions if anyone has the time!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought I found a good present today. Hibiki 12 year Whiskey. But he likes the Yamazaki 12 he already has better.

Shoot. On the hunt for a new Whiskey.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1416695662|3788671 said:
The Goat simulator---- OMG-- ROFLMAO. Rhea, were you saving that one up for a good laugh? Cause you definitely got one.

I'm 100% serious when I say it's truly a great game. We've spent some lazy Sunday afternoon playing Goat Simulator. I'm not very good at licking things though and according to the game that's a goat must.

The Lego game is also good. I linked the X-box one, but it's available on nearly every platform. DH and I recently completed it together and now we need to go back and unlock some of the extras. I'm not a huge gamer but he likes it when I play so those are two geeky games we can play together.

Good luck! Men are hard to buy for (at least all in my life are).

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1416716196|3788807 said:
I thought I found a good present today. Hibiki 12 year Whiskey. But he likes the Yamazaki 12 he already has better.

He has good taste!!! The Yamazaki 2013 in Sherry Cast has been voted the top whisky in 2014, sold out everywhere I looked!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rhea|1416735508|3788878 said:

I'm 100% serious when I say it's truly a great game. We've spent some lazy Sunday afternoon playing Goat Simulator. I'm not very good at licking things though and according to the game that's a goat must.

The Lego game is also good. I linked the X-box one, but it's available on nearly every platform. DH and I recently completed it together and now we need to go back and unlock some of the extras. I'm not a huge gamer but he likes it when I play so those are two geeky games we can play together.

You were serious about the goat simulator!! Okay now I am intrigued. What is it like? Like one of the FB games like Farm Ville or something?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
dk168|1416736838|3788882 said:
Gypsy|1416716196|3788807 said:

He has good taste!!! The Yamazaki 2013 in Sherry Cast has been voted the top whisky in 2014, sold out everywhere I looked!

He does. I posted on a Bourbon forum for help. Stupid forum has a rule that moderators have to approve topics though. What is up with that?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am thinking of getting:
20 of this favorite cigars. About 130 including shipping.
A nice bourbon: under 100 bucks (hopefully around 70 honestly)
The water dropper: 30 including shipping.
2 T-shirts-- about 50 bucks including shipping
This: http://www.amazon.com/Brittle-Bacon-Peanut-1-Pound/dp/B00KWB7VV8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1416738332&sr=8-4&keywords=bacon+brittle 16 bucks including shipping.
And maybe this: http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Round-Bacon-Grill-Press/dp/B0000DDVV9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416738606&sr=8-1&keywords=bacon+weight 14 bucks

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, the combination of peanut and bacon in brittles!!! :love:

The bacon press would work for burgers and grill cheese toasties too, good find!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
dk168|1416739689|3788893 said:
OMG, the combination of peanut and bacon in brittles!!! :love:

The bacon press would work for burgers and grill cheese toasties too, good find!

Yeah, there were a number of them. This one seemed best.
The point is to keep it affordable and have a lot of presents to open plus stocking stuffers. So I think that will work.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your OH is a very lucky person!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1416737516|3788884 said:

You were serious about the goat simulator!! Okay now I am intrigued. What is it like? Like one of the FB games like Farm Ville or something?

Deadly serious. But in a very funny way. Think grand theft auto, but playing as a goat. You must learn to out run, lick, jump over and eat to destroy things such as property for points.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Rhea|1416753145|3788965 said:
Gypsy|1416737516|3788884 said:

Deadly serious. But in a very funny way. Think grand theft auto, but playing as a goat. You must learn to out run, lick, jump over and eat to destroy things such as property for points.

that actually sounds super fun!

One of my favorite games growing up was SimAnt

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi.

If you want to have gift giving in the same vein as when you were in college, I would promise to do things for each other that would be a treat for either of you. For example, when I was young, my husband used to help me wash my hair. It was fun. I liked it. It made me feel special that he do something so foolish for me. Nowadays I ask for help in the garden. If you promise me you will plant my flowers for 2 hrs, I will certainly put you on my special favorites list.

I never thought I would ever give a gift of a pedicure,--for a man. My son loves to go once a year, when his feet are tired, so I'm thinking of a gift certificate for 45.00. Thats what it costs around here.

Go bowling with him if thats what he likes. Promise to make some special meals for him. I was going to suggest a day at the racetrack. You could do very nicely with 50.00 for the two of you. I love the track, but only go once a yr.

I like the idea of doing special things for each other. Get back to the basics.

Annette

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not a cuddler, so I am including some cuddle certificates in the stockings. Thanks Smitcompton! I was in graduate school when we met, actually. But yes, financially things were tight.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG that goat game has me rolling! I think we should get that for my brother.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, have you been to the website http://www.thinkgeek.com/ ? They have alot of 'nerdy/geeky' stuff, I bought some cool gifts last year from there.

This year, my challenge is going to be my new boss. New, as in, 9 months ago. He's so private, I don't know much about his personal life or what he does for fun, besides that he has a wife and 7 y/o kid.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What's your budget Telephone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results