shape
carat
color
clarity

Just got my WAX Model pictures!!! What do you guys think??

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Just got my WAX Model pictures!!! What do you guys think

I really need a bigger piece of paper and a pencil.

This is just based on the last rose cut ring I posted- the bottom is what a cross section would sort of look like. I don't know the depth of the diamond, but it seems like the girdle of the diamond would be about 6mm off the finger.

So if the halo metal is 1mm thick, allow 2mm of air space from diamond bottom to plate, plate is .5mm thick or so, then the shank could be directly under/supporting the plate, which would be 2mm thick, allowing for a thin band to sit underneath the plate.

So if the previous setting had a shank under the plate, that's what I'm imagining. The struts don't have to be straight lines, the original had diamonds, but there is a little room for a design there.

_24463.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

dawnxcui|1416591564|3788035 said:
Chrono|1416591243|3788032 said:
I'd forgotten about the flush wedding band issue...

lol feels like we're going in circles haha back to the drawing board.....

.....or...if the plate is sitting on TOP of the scroll, there should be enough room for wedding band right? because the scroll itself has some height to it.

i'm most likely going to end up with a very thin 2mm or less band. it should be able to fit under the plate alongside the scroll right?
Yes. So imagine the picture attached to this, but the halo is the plate, and the halo is above the existing halo/plate, with airspace underneath.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No decorative scrolls?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I didn't add them because of limited time and paper space (and since my daughter since claimed my pen and paper, I now have NO paper) but they certain could be added instead of the straight metal like I depicted. I was trying to capture structural elements rather than decorative ones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think we are on the same page.

20141027_1.jpg

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Chrono|1416595153|3788074 said:
I think we are on the same page.
Chrono, what do you mean by keeping the scrolls to hide the struts?
from the top down, arent they layered this way?

[1]diamond
[2]halo
[3]struts
[4]plate
[5]scroll
[6]hand

sketch1416599091018.png

sketch1416600536635.png

sketch1416599487982.png

MizNina

Shiny_Rock

I'm loving this thread. Our members are so informative and I can't wait to see the outcome :clap:

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock

Does it look like there's a plate in this ring? It looks pretty subtle here. May be you can let go the scrolls?

_24486.jpg

_24487.jpg

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Violetphoenix|1416706631|3788734 said:
Does it look like there's a plate in this ring? It looks pretty subtle here. May be you can let go the scrolls?
i cant tell...i actually really love jennifer aniston's ring. it doesnt sparkle but i love how it reflects light. wonder how she set her ring..

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Pretty sure she has it plated. Check out the attached pic though, it looks so cloudy! Bleh. Pretty sure it needs a good cleaning.

Where are you now with it? Have you told David that you want to start over?

_24488.jpg

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

FrekeChild|1416708489|3788739 said:
Pretty sure she has it plated. Check out the attached pic though, it looks so cloudy! Bleh. Pretty sure it needs a good cleaning.

Where are you now with it? Have you told David that you want to start over?
dont mind the cloudiness at all! i love the bold flash of whiteness.
ya DK is gonna lower the plate and change it to j/k colored melees :)
i love that man!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lower the plate?

_24489.jpg

_24490.jpg

_24491.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

See how silvery it looks? I bet you that it has a platinum plate under the diamond, against her skin. So she won't wear a wedding band that will sit flush either.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

FrekeChild|1416708728|3788742 said:
Lower the plate?
ya he's gonna lower it to allow room for cleaning.

he said he's gonna show me a picture first.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

But he is adding a plate?

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

can someone help me edit this?

so we've added a plate and the plate is being attached to the halo by squiggly lines.
i'm not sure if i like this design, it looks really busy.

david recommended that i remove the bottom scrolls and just have a straight band across. so probably something like this.
does this look better?

i'm not sure i like the squiggly lines connecting the plate to the halo, and i dont think i just want vertical bars that connect the plate.

can some artistic PSer help me come up with a better basket(profile) design??

thanks a million!

_24547.jpg

sketch1416894256170.png

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

You can't feasibly lower the plate anymore unless you want to get rid of the idea of a flush fit band. The band is going to be about 2mm wide and 1.5mm thick, once polished and finished. That surprise stone is 1.5mm wide, which means that that whole space from skin to the underneath of the plate is going to be 2.5mmish - enough for a thin band.

Here is a question: Do you have an idea which side you want to wear the band on? Point or rounded bit? I ask because if you plan to wear a band on one side only, you can play a bit with the other side.

Unfortunately, unless you do something very very simple, it's going to look pretty busy because that's a TINY space you're trying to spice up. You seem to like the curvy lines, is there another motif you like?

I want to address something else with you though - that surprise stone will probably scratch the heck out of any band it's next to. Some people don't care and just replace the bands. Or perhaps David plans on making the bezel deep enough that the table of the stone is lower than the ridge of metal.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

For the record, I don't really like the filigree either. I have some ideas that might work to help pretty it up a bit, but I don't know how much you'd like them either.

At least with the plate though, the stone will look nice and pretty!

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

FrekeChild|1416898011|3790081 said:
You can't feasibly lower the plate anymore unless you want to get rid of the idea of a flush fit band. The band is going to be about 2mm wide and 1.5mm thick, once polished and finished. That surprise stone is 1.5mm wide, which means that that whole space from skin to the underneath of the plate is going to be 2.5mmish - enough for a thin band.

Here is a question: Do you have an idea which side you want to wear the band on? Point or rounded bit? I ask because if you plan to wear a band on one side only, you can play a bit with the other side.

Unfortunately, unless you do something very very simple, it's going to look pretty busy because that's a TINY space you're trying to spice up. You seem to like the curvy lines, is there another motif you like?

I want to address something else with you though - that surprise stone will probably scratch the heck out of any band it's next to. Some people don't care and just replace the bands. Or perhaps David plans on making the bezel deep enough that the table of the stone is lower than the ridge of metal.

i was hoping that i could potentially wear bands on both sides so i'm not too restricted to the side.
i can get rid of the surprise stone and connect the scrolls or change the scrolls out. i'm not attached to the scrolls/squiggly lines or the surprise stone tbh. i was just looking for something that propped up the stone so i can fit a band under.

i just want something that looks elegant, that allows me to wear a band below

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

FrekeChild|1416898194|3790082 said:
For the record, I don't really like the filigree either. I have some ideas that might work to help pretty it up a bit, but I don't know how much you'd like them either.

At least with the plate though, the stone will look nice and pretty!
i'm open to anything at this point. really appreciate the help! <3

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I can probably try to sketch something, but I'm trying to figure out Christmas travel at the moment.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

So I spent a little bit of time with the sketchbook before I realized something. That space is ridiculously thin. If you look at it in relation to the metal of the halo, it, including the plate metal, is thinner than the metal those halo diamonds are going into. So then I pulled out my halo ring (I only have one!) and an antique pin. And since it is full of antique diamonds, I thought to myself, "Hey, it'd be fitting to do something similar because of the era of the pin and diamond's era are not that far apart!" Anyway, I took some pictures so you can see what I mean. So tiny metal os, all the way around, and I don't even think you would need that many since the main support for the plate is the shank itself.

Just a thought. It's late, so if you don't like that idea, I could try sketching out other ideas tomorrow.

Can you ask David for the measurement of that space? If I had to guess, I'd say we are looking at roughly 1mm, which is just slightly wider than the space on my pin, about .75mm.

_24559.jpg

_24560.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I prefer the first set of CADs over the second but I don't like the funky supports. Can it be changed out to something simpler and not as busy?

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Chrono|1416922084|3790175 said:
I prefer the first set of CADs over the second but I don't like the funky supports. Can it be changed out to something simpler and not as busy?
change it however you likr. As long as its structually feasible

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think you only need one set of scrolls. Gives it a romantic feel. Either go with the ones supporting the plate and get rid of the
ones on the shank, or, make the ones supporting the plate simpler and leave the ones on the shank.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I like the scrolls with the bezel diamond holding up the plate (1st CAD). What about taking Freke's idea of the tiny O's between the plates, but have far fewer of them (only where you would put struts) and have a tiny diamond inset in each that emulates the bezel diamond below. I think this would look less busy. Plan B would be similar but slightly busier by adding the scrolls to the little O's, so that they look like perfect miniatures of what you have going on below the plate. It would still be a lot simpler than the current scroll work all around. My third idea is to scrap the current plan and have a simple trellis crossover below the plate and trellis crossover pattern between the halo and plate, so it's consistent, architectural but simple, and let's the diamond and halo be the star. Whatever you do, this ring will be gorgeous!!

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

ok i've tweeked the CAD. let me know if it looks okay. and which one you prefer.

mod-cad-straight-connectors.png

mod-cad-o-connectors.png

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock

I too have been following this thread and can't wait to see that lovely stone finally come to rest in your dream ring. As for the plate/bar dilemma,

kmarla|1416925801|3790195 said:
My third idea is to scrap the current plan and have a simple trellis crossover below the plate and trellis crossover pattern between the halo and plate, so it's consistent, architectural but simple, and let's the diamond and halo be the star. Whatever you do, this ring will be gorgeous!!

This. Forget the surprise diamond and scrolls and support the plate with a simple trellis high enough to let your bands nest underneath. If you look at Freke's halo, imagine the plate at the hight where you see her culet with the trellis below. There's a lot going on with this ring already. Keeping the underside an profile clean (and cleanable) will keep the focus on your giant rose pear.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

mercoledi|1416931140|3790236 said:
I too have been following this thread and can't wait to see that lovely stone finally come to rest in your dream ring. As for the plate/bar dilemma,

My third idea is to scrap the current plan and have a simple trellis crossover below the plate and trellis crossover pattern between the halo and plate, so it's consistent, architectural but simple, and let's the diamond and halo be the star. Whatever you do, this ring will be gorgeous!!

This. Forget the surprise diamond and scrolls and support the plate with a simple trellis high enough to let your bands nest underneath. If you look at Freke's halo, imagine the plate at the hight where you see her culet with the trellis below. There's a lot going on with this ring already. Keeping the underside an profile clean (and cleanable) will keep the focus on your giant rose pear.

you mean like this?

mod-cad-x.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dawnxcui|1416932079|3790251 said:
mercoledi|1416931140|3790236 said:

you mean like this?

Fruition!

I really, really like this idea. Pic is Vatche - prongs reach up to support the halo like in your modification instead of cupping the stone girdle, plate sits where the "crossbar" sits right now.

The scrolls, the struts, the squiggles and surprise stones, the flat unadorned plate... too busy, too many mismatched elements without enough in common to visually tie them together. IMO this version is simple, elegant, timeless, cohesive, and easily-maintained.

vatche.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results