shape
carat
color
clarity

What settings are considered low rise? Halo?

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
"low rise" makes me think of jeans :naughty: I think it's actually called "height"? Not 100% sure.

I totally know what you're getting at though, and considered that myself when shopping for a setting. The JA setting you chose would actually stick up a bit as the shanks extend above the part of the ring that goes on the finger. I love the cathedral-style setting though, since the graduated shanks give me a sense of security--that the basket part won't snag.

It's great to think about day-to-day wear, and maintenance should also be a consideration. According to my jeweler, if you get a setting that is too "squashed," you'll have difficulty cleaning the pavillion of the diamond.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
There are low profile halos that are more integrated into the shanks. This isn't the best example or craftsmanship, but the halo has an "undercarriage" that sits down on the finger, and the shanks attach to the sides of it. There are other ways to do this, and the style can vary from contemporary to modern. The part that frames the center stone has a wide base. I just don't have the time to go hunt better examples. lol

_24454.jpg

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
My halo (avatar) is open on the bottom so that the culet (point) of the diamond brushes against my finger. It is as low as any band and extremely comfortable. Brian at Brian Gavin Diamonds designed my ring so if you like any of the ones that Gypsy posted, I'm sure he can make it as low as you want.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Duke1199|1416670434|3788515 said:
Would this height be lower since the split shank is shorter? She's set on split shank but also a low halo height. Is this possible?

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-goldround-split-band-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-item-49498

The halo has to be high enough to allow the stone not to touch her finger. I think this one has nice proportions and is not too high or too low. You need to have a little room for a wedding band, so this seems to be a good height. I'd recommend platinum considering it is just a little more than the 14k white gold.

I will add that for the same price in platinum, you could get a Ritani designer setting, which I personally would much rather have.

https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/french-set-halo-diamond--v--band-engagement-ring-in-platinum/4968

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Duke1199

Rough_Rock
I like the Ritani setting but I believe she likes more separation in the shank such as is shown with the JA setting. Is Ritani higher quality?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What do you mean by separation in the shank??

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh. You are looking at a split shank. I get it. Yes, a split shank with a wider gap or separation is right.

Duke1199

Rough_Rock
Is it uncommon for jewelers to build a split shank halo that is low in height? Or if I order a setting like that can I request they make the height low?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A low halo will not allow a wedding band to sit flush with the ER. A wide split shank will also prevent rings from sitting flush. A lot of people dislike the gap but not everyone. If you prefer a low halo with no gap, a custom curved wedding band will need to be made.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results