shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearls or CZ studs?

braindoc

Rough_Rock
I have never pierced my ears - but would like to and think earrings would round out a professional look. I don't want to come off as too flashy as I have a nice e-ring and wedding band set and tend to wear a small diamond pendant every day.

I won't yet be investing in diamond studs (maybe a future push present from DH??)... So I'm wondering what's more professional, not too flashy, and cohesive with my other jewelry, pearl earrings or CZ studs?

Thank you!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hi braindoc and welcome to the Pearl Forum. Pearl studs are classic and will go with other styles of jewelry beautifully. I would not worry about mixing them with diamond jewelry. The cost is not great, and so, why not have both styles of earrings and mix it up from day to day?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'm not a match type of person.
I find that pearls look good with all sorts of stones.....and both white and gold metals.
my vote is for pearls.
but CZ is inexpensive enough so why not both?

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
For a professional look, I prefer pearls over CZ. But it also depends on the profession; are we talking finance or acting?

Have you considered small gold hoops?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not into matching jewellery and have always mix and match as the mood takes me.

I too would advise getting some pearl stud earrings, at least 2 pairs, one in white and the other in black/grey.

My own two pairs are 10mm CFWPs and Tahitians that I rotate with my other earrings for work wear.

I cannot wear pearl studs larger than 10mm as they stick out too much and make my already wide face look even wider! :oops:

In addition, I have 2 pairs of smaller 6mm CFWP studs, one in white and the other in black, along with a pair of diamond studs and a pair of plain white gold studs, that I wear with a set of diamond earring jackets, when a more formal/dressier look is required (e.g. entertaining in the evening). I cannot wear 6mm studs on their own as they are too small for my earlobes and proportion (I am chunky).

Good luck with your purchase, whatever you decide.

DK :))

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Welcome, Braindoc :) I might suggest a nice set of pearl studs, and if you want to up the professional power just a bit, maybe pearl studs accented with a small diamond sparkle ... good luck on your search.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I think either diamonds or pearls are equally professional because they're classic. And I don't think I know anyone with pierced ears who only has one pair of earrings. Also, diamond rings and pendants go with anything and don't really limit you on the earrings. I'd get the CZs and white and black pearls of different sizes, and the hoops someone above mentioned too. Also a couple dozen more, fun ones for non-work times plus of course fancy ones for going out. Woo hoo!

However, it might make sense to only get one pair at a time or only inexpensive ones until you get a better idea of what you'll actually like wearing. For example, if you're on the phone a lot, the posts of stud earrings might dig into your head. You might find that small ones feel or look right at first but then begin to seem too juvenile or boring or something, depending on your personal style.

So, to start, I'd probably get both. If you don't have a metal sensitivity, you can find an inexpensive multi-pack of costume jewelry online to try out and see what size pearl earrings (and cz earrings) you like best. Also, it seems to me we always go up in preferred size over time, never down, so when in doubt you might go with the larger. And I'm not sure large or "flashy" isn't professional, when it comes to diamonds and pearls. They are status symbols right along with nice cars and designer handbags and to me they say success, not hootchie mama, lol. So anyway, thems my two cents. If you take the plunge, please post ear shots of your new treasures!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

braindoc

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the feedback! So much to think about :).I'll experiment (for starters) with some classic pearl studs and perhaps some CZs. But the first step is piercing! I'll be sure to post pics.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Hi braindoc, :wavey:
I wear my diamond studs everyday, since my DH gave them to me for Christmas. To me they are the perfect professional business woman look, and classic look for everyday casual. They are 0.42 points on each ear not too big not too small for my earlobes. They are from White Flash.com and are very white E Color, perfectly cut proportions, ACA Hearts and Arrows. The cut is what makes them so special. They are so spectacular and sparkly, they light up the face. I recommend investing in the best cut diamond studs for earrings when funds are available. I recently have invested in pearls strands the diamonds work so well with the strands. I have also purchased AAA 10.0 mm and 10.5 round pearls studs. I can't believe that these studs can rival these diamonds, but they do. I would suggest investing in the best that your budget will allow, round, high luster, and larger size. You will wear them for life.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
movie zombie|1416692458|3788655 said:
http://www.ross-simons.com/products/793313.html?cc=&curr=

I like this type of setting for a "professional" look.

mine? well it is silver, no scrolls, and no diamonds.....was $49 at Costco.

LOL!
LOL is right MoZo I have a pair that size but with out the diamonds bought in the 1980's so I guess mine is vintage too :lol:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
http://www.ross-simons.com/products/793313.html?cc=&curr=

I like this type of setting for a "professional" look.

mine? well it is silver, no scrolls, and no diamonds.....was $49 at Costco.

LOL!

Wait, the 80's is considered "vintage"?!

You are on the pearl forum so my vote is for pearls, of course! Diamonds and pearls compliment each other beautifully so as you buy more pieces of either, they will work well together.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
braindoc|1416697967|3788681 said:
Thanks everyone for the feedback! So much to think about :).I'll experiment (for starters) with some classic pearl studs and perhaps some CZs. But the first step is piercing! I'll be sure to post pics.

I'm with the others on getting both. For the pearl studs do look out for the color. Depending on your skin tone, pink, cream or silvery white tones may work better and light up your face. For me for example only the silvery white works. The other shades of white just look dull when I wear them. I'm more of a cool color tone person. Depending on what's in your usual wardrobe you can probably come to a good guess which shade will work better for you if you can't try the studs in person before buying.

Have fun! You won't just have two pairs of earrings I'm sure. :lol:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
bsomlo|1416712964|3788769 said:
Wait, the 80's is considered "vintage"?!

You are on the pearl forum so my vote is for pearls, of course! Diamonds and pearls compliment each other beautifully so as you buy more pieces of either, they will work well together.

Vintage is used to refer to things over 20 years old, so, yes. the 80s are vintage.

Even scarier: the early 90s are already vintage.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Okay, let me state publicly that I think that is insane. Twenty years and it's vintage. Sheesh!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
bsomlo|1416753724|3788969 said:
Okay, let me state publicly that I think that is insane. Twenty years and it's vintage. Sheesh!

I agree :)

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1416753724|3788969 said:

Vintage is a fairly lenient term. Vintage usually refers to wine, no? Feel better? :angel:

At least, "antique" generally refers to anything 100 years old+.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
I would say 80's and 90's would = Retro.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
it is more the style that I like, not the "vintage" aspect......
I prefer this style to studs....fits better on my ear.
gives a neat, polished look even when i'm wearing very casual clothing.
and looks great when I wear a hat!

my Costco pearl only at $49 was purchased last year....
so perhaps the style is "vintage"?
LOL, indeed!

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
I say both are professional and classic. Can't wait to hear what you decide! Welcome to the forum!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results