carat
color
clarity

Sugilite

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello Everyone,

I used to frequent this website years ago but life got in the way with the kids going to college, changing jobs and just getting old I haven't for awhile. As a consequence I haven't done much in the way of keeping up with the gem hobby. I have been going through my stones and sold quite a few lately to my friend Michael at Gemline. The only stone I have no idea about is a piece of Sugilite gel I bought years ago. It's about 500cts. I have some smaller pieces like a 50ct also. I loved the color and heard it was a small find so I bought it and stashed it away. Now I do not see anything on it. I see sugilite but not good gel. Any idea what the gel that looks like grape jelly is worth? I did polish it some when I got it to see what it really looked like,

img_0035_1_.jpg

img_0071_1_.jpg

img_0075_1_.jpg

img_0072_1_.jpg

img_0034_1_.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey, there: I remember you!
welcome back.
nice sugilite!

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
movie zombie|1416613066|3788235 said:
hey, there: I remember you!
welcome back.
nice sugilite!

Hi MZ,

How have you been? Still remember when you were debating on a Mandarin ring. Boy that was long ago. So what's the hot new stone. I have been buying a lot of Oregon Sunstone. I love that it's pure American but as usual I only like the rarer stuff.

Anyway, anything on SUGILITE?

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
I love sugilite - it was used a lot in Southwestern Jewelry. It seems it's getting scarcer, IIRC. I love your piece, it's beautiful. Sorry, but I have no idea of value for it though.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks. I have seen some in western jewelery but not the Gel. From what I was told only .005% of Sugilite is very translucent Gel. From what I had heard at the time there was only about 100 lbs of Gel found so I bought these. Now I don't know if there was more found or what it is worth. I had also heard people are faceting the Gel but why since it is translucent and not transparent?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I like this material. If you are interested in selling use the preloved forum her.

A fantastic material for custom cutter imo if really gel with a uniform color and no fractures.

Faceting is a good idea course it is a vivid color - a friend of mine - Uli - faceted Hydrogrossular or translucent tansania ruby with a unbelieviable pure vived pink color - looked like neon pink translucent plastic ( I mean this positiv).

Such material is interesting for designer jewellery - why not....

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you for the response. I wanted to know the value I am not interested in selling at this time because I have no idea what it is worth. I'm just looking for more information. Can you tell me the cutter you are talking about. Maybe I sill send the smaller piece over to see how it comes out.

BTW I see you liked my purple tourmaline I sold to Michael at Litnon. He will be getting more of my items soon. He just put up my Richard Homer cut mandarin garnet.

http://litnon.com/viewgem.php?gemid=10382&id=44311

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
MJO|1416641426|3788388 said:
Thank you for the response. I wanted to know the value I am not interested in selling at this time because I have no idea what it is worth. I'm just looking for more information. Can you tell me the cutter you are talking about. Maybe I sill send the smaller piece over to see how it comes out.

He was talking about osirisgems.com, the owner's name is Uli, he is a capable precision cutter.

Sorry, I have no idea about the value of your suglite. It looks very attractive from your photos.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
MJO|1416641426|3788388 said:

BTW I see you liked my purple tourmaline I sold to Michael at Litnon. He will be getting more of my items soon. He just put up my Richard Homer cut mandarin garnet.

http://litnon.com/viewgem.php?gemid=10382&id=44311

Uli Zeisberg www.osirisgems.com

Send him some good pics and he will tell you if and what he can cut for you.

Many faceted Sugilite look cheap - this material deserves a better cutting.

Yes - I liked your Tourmaline - was sold quickly....A beautiful stone!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is great material! It really deserves to be cut, set and worn. May I show the pictures to a friend who has a great sugilite collection (that he cut himself)? He may have a better idea on price.

I would love to see what Uli would do with this material. I am debating sending a nice piece of Mahenge rough to Uli as well.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1416654899|3788436 said:
That is great material! It really deserves to be cut, set and worn. May I show the pictures to a friend who has a great sugilite collection (that he cut himself)? He may have a better idea on price.

I would love to see what Uli would do with this material. I am debating sending a nice piece of Mahenge rough to Uli as well.

Good Idea - because I see it before you get it back!!! :twisted:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
For value, you might also write (send photos) to Brad Payne at the Gem Trader. He's listed sugilite in the past, though possibly not the gel, but I have a feeling he'd be able to give you an idea of value since he hangs out among rarer gems. Yours is very nice!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the only sug I've seen was cabs....nothing of this quality!

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you all for your input. I will try contacting the people you suggested. MZ nice to see you're still here.

Anyone additional information would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Lady_Disdain|1416654899|3788436 said:

Hello Lady Disdain,

Sorry I missed this to respond. Yes please send the pictures to your friend as to the value of the material

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results