shape
carat
color
clarity

Considering Restylane - pros and cons?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to see my dermatologist the other day, and we got to talking about options for a couple cosmetic concerns of mine - a hollowing under my right eye from a bad allergy reaction and constant rubbing that led to my right under eye being more "hollowed" out in comparison to the left, and two dents on my forehead from a few years ago on separate occasions where in my haste, I opened a closet door to bend over and toss things in the hamper, and pulled the door shut into my forehead as I was straightening up and backing out of the closet. Twice I did this - lol... yes, I'm very special, but both times, I was rushing - having just gotten home from work and trying to get out the door to night school. :( One dent is more prominent (left) and I'd like that filled.

My dermatologist said that I should consider Restylane for my virgin skin and that less than one syringe should take care of my under eye and forehead dent. She indicated that it's hyaluronic acid, and that it's been found to also encourage collagen, so she used to fill once a year, but now every two years due to the collagen boost.

I would love to hear any pros and cons to hyaluronic acid/Restylane fillers. I'm nervous, and would like to know what to anticipate - pain levels, any side effects as well if I go through with the filler. Thanks in advance!

njblinger

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I got restylane shots for my undereye bags last month. It was the second time I had it done. My first time was in July, also for the undereye bags. I've been told that these shots should last anywhere from four months to one year, depending on the individual. The reason I had shots again in such a short period of time was because I felt that my dermatologist was too conservative the first time, and the bags were still obvious to me. He had used only half a syringe because he wanted me to ease into it, he said. The second time, he used a full syringe. It's very, very painful at the point of injection, but it only lasts a second or two. For each eye, he made about three or four injections, but it really depends on each individual's needs. When I had the shots again last month, the difference was obvious. My bags are completely gone. I look 10 years younger (don't mean to brag, just being honest). My dermologist told me that as I continue shots, it will look better and better because there is still restylane in the system. He told me to expect this latest round to last six months to one year. The first time I had the shots, I had only minor little red pinpricks at the points of injection. The second time, because he injected some parts a little more, there was bruising, albeit minor. I would recommend not taking aspirin or vitamin E for a week before the shots. Also, if you have bruising (it will show up immediately, if you do), then you might want to consider rubbing arnica on it. That really helped me. The bruising was mostly gone after one week, and was completely gone by the second week. Makeup will hide it completely. I've had no side effects from these shots. Hope this helps!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^Bruising doesn't necessarily show up immediately. It can take several hours for bruising to occur - it varies from person to person.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Define "underneath" your eye. Cosmetically/medically speaking it is a fairly "large" area. Where is the potential fill site...closer to your tear duct or ear?

cheers--Sharon

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
njblinger|1416428638|3786664 said:
Hi,

I got restylane shots for my undereye bags last month. It was the second time I had it done. My first time was in July, also for the undereye bags. I've been told that these shots should last anywhere from four months to one year, depending on the individual. The reason I had shots again in such a short period of time was because I felt that my dermatologist was too conservative the first time, and the bags were still obvious to me. He had used only half a syringe because he wanted me to ease into it, he said. The second time, he used a full syringe. It's very, very painful at the point of injection, but it only lasts a second or two. For each eye, he made about three or four injections, but it really depends on each individual's needs. When I had the shots again last month, the difference was obvious. My bags are completely gone. I look 10 years younger (don't mean to brag, just being honest). My dermologist told me that as I continue shots, it will look better and better because there is still restylane in the system. He told me to expect this latest round to last six months to one year. The first time I had the shots, I had only minor little red pinpricks at the points of injection. The second time, because he injected some parts a little more, there was bruising, albeit minor. I would recommend not taking aspirin or vitamin E for a week before the shots. Also, if you have bruising (it will show up immediately, if you do), then you might want to consider rubbing arnica on it. That really helped me. The bruising was mostly gone after one week, and was completely gone by the second week. Makeup will hide it completely. I've had no side effects from these shots. Hope this helps!

Thank you njblinger - that is very informative! What brand of arnica do you use? Is it available at a drugstore?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1416446155|3786837 said:
HI:

Define "underneath" your eye. Cosmetically/medically speaking it is a fairly "large" area. Where is the potential fill site...closer to your tear duct or ear?

cheers--Sharon

I might not have the best vernacular for explaining, and although a picture says a thousand words, I'm adverse to posting pics of my self on the internet. :) The area is...Right under the eye - where people generally get "bags". Due to the excessive rubbing when I had bad allergies, when I tap both under eye areas, one feels cushioned and bouncy to the touch, while the other feels less buoyant to the touch. When I smile, it looks like a bigger bag under my right eye because of the displaced fat or collagen from the rubbing in the past, and it looks darker, too. It's hard to explain, but I as I'm losing a few pounds, the difference in the under eye areas is becoming more obvious. :(

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you are referring to lower eyelid tear troughs. Does that sound familiar? If so I've been seriously considering doing this. I seem to remember hearing that there is a possibility of having a blueish tint show in the area due to the restylane. Ask if you are not happy with the outcome if they can inject something to make the restylane disappear. I would ask them to be very conservative to start with. More can be added if needed. I would also ask them if they will save any leftover product so you can use it at a later date. Some doctors will and some will not. Restalyne is expensive. Fillers can look amazing if they are done properly and horrible if they are done by someone with little experience using them.

njblinger

Rough_Rock
Hi PintoBean, it's called Arnicare Cream and you can get it at any drugstore. I iced the area first and then put on the cream. Your dermatologist will probably tell you this - don't put any pressure in the areas where you got injected because you could move or displace what was injected. You may also see tiny lumps for a few days, but they will disperse. Yes, it was in the tear troughs that I received the injections.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinto Bean, Your dermatologist should give you numbing cream to put on the area before they inject the Restalyne.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had my tear duct trough? (under eye bags) filled with Artefill about five years ago. It wasn't pleasant but it wasn't the worst pain ever either. On a scale of 1 to 5, it was a 3 but it was over pretty fast. I definitely psyched myself out imagining needles near my eyes in the days before the appointment and it wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined. I didn't have any bruising or complications. So far they still look good.

I've had some areas filled with Restylane in the past and had good results but it didn't last more than 9 months. It was in the nasal fold/mouth area though so that might make a difference.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have my eye bags done again without hesitation. It easily shaved five years off my age.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
As much as I am freaked out about fillers and botox, I have been trying to research stuff like this because I have VICIOUS undereye circles and I have read that fillers will help fill the hollows and make them appear less dark. But if restylane makes for a blue tint that might not be for me...since I already have enough of that!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ame, My doctors nurse had her hollows done with A filler and she had the blue tink. It was visible even with make up on her face. His nurse is average weight. He told me that it might be worse for me because I have a very thin face so the blue may show up more. My impression was if your face was a little heavier you would probably be okay but I don't know for sure. I will see the doctor in a couple weeks and can ask more questions and report back to you if you like. Also if you think the circle and hollows are bad now wait until you hit fifty. Mine are terrible now and I never even had to use concealer until my late 40's.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1416587779|3787985 said:
Hi Ame, My doctors nurse had her hollows done with A filler and she had the blue tink. It was visible even with make up on her face. His nurse is average weight. He told me that it might be worse for me because I have a very thin face so the blue may show up more. My impression was if your face was a little heavier you would probably be okay but I don't know for sure. I will see the doctor in a couple weeks and can ask more questions and report back to you if you like. Also if you think the circle and hollows are bad now wait until you hit fifty. Mine are terrible now and I never even had to use concealer until my late 40's.
I've worn trowels of concealer under my eyes since I was about 12. So almost 25 years of heavy concealer daily. I don't leave my house without it. I would not call my face thin...lol.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the Restylane filler today!

They put a numbing cream on first, but I might not need it in the future because 1/4 spots was not numbed and it didn't hurt more than the other spots.

I had my under eye / tear troughs filled, and two divets on my forehead. Everything looks smooth :)

I do have a mild headache from the forehead shots.

ame said:
Calliecake|1416587779|3787985 said:
I've worn trowels of concealer under my eyes since I was about 12. So almost 25 years of heavy concealer daily. I don't leave my house without it. I would not call my face thin...lol.

Ame - there is another filler called belotero - I don't know much about it, but Juvederm seems to be the one that can be blue. Belotero is supposed to be more pliable? Liquid? Anyone know about belotero?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Pinto Bean, I hope you don't mind answering a few questions. Do you know what filler was used? Are you happy with the results and does it look natural? Do you see a huge difference with your dark under eye circles? I've never heard of Belotero but read somewhere that there is a new filler that lasts 2 years but if I remember correctly its manly used on the cheeks by the cheekbones.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Calliecakes
Calliecake said:
Hi Pinto Bean, I hope you don't mind answering a few questions. Do you know what filler was used?
Restylane was used.

Are you happy with the results and does it look natural?
Yes - I am happy with the results - the two dents on my forehead look smoother. My under eye is still slightly swollen. It does look natural for sure, considering that this is just shy of 24 hours later.

Do you see a huge difference with your dark under eye circles?
I didn't think my left under eye was that bad - prior to injecting filler - if I tapped on it, my it felt "bouncy to the touch" because there was collagen and fat there. My right under eye from the vigorous rubbing during bad allergies in 2005 when I tapped it, it felt like skin and bone to the touch. The dermatologist said she couldn't just fill under one eye, so there was a little filler under the left, and more on the right.

My initial reaction when they showed me the hand mirror was that the forehead looked smooth, and the left eye smooth, but the right eye did look fuller, but still to me was discernible that that was the eye that had the volume loss - like I swore I could see the outline of the old bag's line but now filled in. I think it was a mind clean thing - because I know where every bulge and crease was under that eye.

Today, it is smoother with a slight swell under especially my right eye - since it got more pricks and filler. It is slightly red, not quite purple, looks like I had been crying earlier, and the red spot is from me rubbing my eyes while crying.

The pin prick red marks that were visible last night are not visible this AM.

I hope this helps.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are some not so great iphone before and after pics of one of my forehead dents.

Before - the slightly darker spot that looks like a round shadow about 2 inches above my eyebrow is actually the dent - it always felt like it was at least a cm in diameter. I did not do a great job capturing it on the iphone.
image_2711.jpg

This is within an hour of receiving filler. No more "shadow" because the dent is filled in. The purple-y dots are the marks made from the needle. boo boos... :(
image_2710.jpg

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinto Bean, Thank you so much for the information. Do you happen to know what filler was used? You described everything perfectly. I am also seeing the bags and when you touch the under eye area below you just feel bone. Did you have dark circles before the filler? Also did the filler diminish the look of them? I've been considering fillers for about a year because concealer is no longer covering the circles. About 3 months ago one of the woman from Bravo's housewives show was on TV and had obviously overdone the filler. She looked downright scary so I have been extremely hesitant to try it around the eye area.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake said:
Pinto Bean, Thank you so much for the information. Do you happen to know what filler was used? You described everything perfectly. I am also seeing the bags and when you touch the under eye area below you just feel bone. Did you have dark circles before the filler? Also did the filler diminish the look of them? I've been considering fillers for about a year because concealer is no longer covering the circles. About 3 months ago one of the woman from Bravo's housewives show was on TV and had obviously overdone the filler. She looked downright scary so I have been extremely hesitant to try it around the eye area.

Sorry Calliecake! How did I miss that question? It was Restylane.

Because the under eye was more concave, it looked darker like a shadow. At first I kept thinking it was all in my head, so I asked my very honest man of few words if he could see the more prominent forehead dent on the left side and the bag under the right eye. And he replied - yes - there's a dent in your forehead, and the right eye has a "bag" that the left eye doesn't :sick: :errrr:

My dermatologist is great. We went with less than one vial(?) I believe it was 1/2 she used. In two weeks I will be going back to see if we need any touch up. She kept emphasizing that she was going to keep it natural. Also, she mentioned that all the ladies (I haven't seen any males in the office) have filler under their eyes, including her. That surprised me because they all look so... natural. I looked at my doc's bio and apparently she also taught how to do these types of injections.

Are you anywhere near NY by any chance? I would recommend my doctor if you are. Really great bedside manner, especially when I initially went to see her about a bad eczema flare up. I'm also sending my husband to see her for a skin check :D

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, because there was no collagen or fat filling up the under eye area, when I smiled in pics, I would have this bigger roll under my right eye than my left eye! I wouldn't have felt as self-conscious if they weren't so obviously different... like a happy meal bag on the left versus a super sized big mac meal on the right! :naughty:

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
This is very interesting. I never would have guessed that rubbing your face or hitting your head could permanently displace tissue. I wonder if applying make-up/creams and constantly push against one's skin can do the same thing over time. I am going to be more gentle with my face from now on!

Thank you for posting on this subject. I am glad you are happy with the results!!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
swingirl said:
This is very interesting. I never would have guessed that rubbing your face or hitting your head could permanently displace tissue. I wonder if applying make-up/creams and constantly push against one's skin can do the same thing over time. I am going to be more gentle with my face from now on!

Thank you for posting on this subject. I am glad you are happy with the results!!

Oh yeah - me neither Never thought that hitting my head or rubbing my face would result in permanent displacement! I bounced back like nothing in the younger years! When I smacked the door knob into my forehead, I was probably early 30s by then. The divet on the left actually feels like it's the skull dented! I just remember feeling so dizzy and nauseas after it happened, but needing to haul my arse to school, and sitting thru lecture with this pounding headache that didn't stop pounding for a week...

Awhile back, I noticed my nephew - a toddler has the lumpiest head from all his accidents. One time he slipped scampering at the grandparents, and when we brought him the icepack and asked him to point to the bump - it was kinda amusing because his head wasn't smooth - kinda all lumpy. :).

And now that I think about it, some people with allergies have those dark circles under their eyes,, even in their early 20s, and now I'm wondering if it was also from constantly rubbing them.

My no ability to tan, very pale hubby has very bluish tear troughs - they are so flattened (as in deflated looking) by the rubbing that where the tear troughs meet the side of his nose, there is a crease. It's not as noticeable though because he wears glasses with plastic frames, which distract and disguise the blue tear troughs. And EVERY TIME HE'S TIRED, the fists are at his eyes rubbing. DRIVES ME NUTS!!! Leads me to make snide comments like - you're gonnna pop out an eyeball doing that! :hand: (bad wife!)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinto Bean, I'm so glad you are happy with the results. Your doctors sounds wonderful. Too many times they go overboard with fillers and Botox. My dermatologist is also very conservative as well. His assistant also had her eyes done and you could see the blueish color they warn you about. So between that and the darn real housewife who had way too much filler added, I've been afraid to have it done. My dermatologist also said they can inject something that will make it go away if I'm not happy with the results. The problem with that is then I will have spent around $700 for nothing. Heck that money could go toward jewelry.

I have a dent above my lip where I walked into a door in the middle of the night. Do you think filler could get rid of the dent? I never even thought to ask the dermatologist.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1418348253|3799780 said:
Pinto Bean, I'm so glad you are happy with the results. Your doctors sounds wonderful. Too many times they go overboard with fillers and Botox. My dermatologist is also very conservative as well. His assistant also had her eyes done and you could see the blueish color they warn you about. So between that and the darn real housewife who had way too much filler added, I've been afraid to have it done. My dermatologist also said they can inject something that will make it go away if I'm not happy with the results. The problem with that is then I will have spent around $700 for nothing. Heck that money could go toward jewelry.

I have a dent above my lip where I walked into a door in the middle of the night. Do you think filler could get rid of the dent? I never even thought to ask the dermatologist.

They could definitely fill the dent above your lip. When I expressed concerns about blue tint my doc said she goes deeper so no concern for that. As for bumps I believe that the thinner skin under eye is why she opted for restylane over juvederm. She mentioned something about juvederm attracting water more. Google dent and filler and you will see lots of before and after images. That's what I did for forehead dent lolol...

Just my own 2 cents, but take a look at your hands and feet. Can you readily see veins? No one could find my veins in my arms until I hit 30 and I am just seeing the veins faintly thru the tops of my hands and feet. Contrast with my husband... He says he's always been able to see his veins and now they pop out 3d in his hands and feet which scares me a little sometime. I'm a bit squeamish about blood vessels lol. His skin on his neck doesn't have as much snap as mine. It's genes for sure, and his smoking in the past probably doesn't help. Then skin tone. My skin tone is neutral beige. Versus his cool tone. I see blue under his eyes without filler!

My dermatologist also said Botox or xeomin in combo with filler can assist as well. For me, I'm not comfortable with Botox or similar products yet. I have a client site visit next week, and I want my disdain for my colleague to clearly come through lol lol...! Are you comfortable exploring Botox as an option?

By the way, one page I stumbled on recommended asking the doc to see a portfolio of his her work. My doc had her assistant take pics of me before injection. She told me they like before and after pics. I'm guessing the after will happen when I go back in 2 weeks since no one snapped pics of me right after I was treated as a human pin cushion. :naughty:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1418356607|3799874 said:
Calliecake|1418348253|3799780 said:

They could definitely fill the dent above your lip. When I expressed concerns about blue tint my doc said she goes deeper so no concern for that. As for bumps I believe that the thinner skin under eye is why she opted for restylane over juvederm. She mentioned something about juvederm attracting water more. Google dent and filler and you will see lots of before and after images. That's what I did for forehead dent lolol...

Just my own 2 cents, but take a look at your hands and feet. Can you readily see veins? No one could find my veins in my arms until I hit 30 and I am just seeing the veins faintly thru the tops of my hands and feet. Contrast with my husband... He says he's always been able to see his veins and now they pop out 3d in his hands and feet which scares me a little sometime. I'm a bit squeamish about blood vessels lol. His skin on his neck doesn't have as much snap as mine. It's genes for sure, and his smoking in the past probably doesn't help. Then skin tone. My skin tone is neutral beige. Versus his cool tone. I see blue under his eyes without filler!

My dermatologist also said Botox or xeomin in combo with filler can assist as well. For me, I'm not comfortable with Botox or similar products yet. I have a client site visit next week, and I want my disdain for my colleague to clearly come through lol lol...! Are you comfortable exploring Botox as an option?

By the way, one page I stumbled on recommended asking the doc to see a portfolio of his her work. My doc had her assistant take pics of me before injection. She told me they like before and after pics. I'm guessing the after will happen when I go back in 2 weeks since no one snapped pics of me right after I was treated as a human pin cushion. :naughty:

Pinto Bean, If we ever meet in person, I'm hiding my hands. I'm 55 and my hands have looked awful for a long time. My hands are probably 10 times worse than your husbands. And yes, you can definately see blue veins under my eyes, on both my hands and inside my wrists too! My hands are definately 3D. It is so gross. I've been using Botox around my eyes and on my forehead for the past few years. I do worry about the blush tint from the filler because I have no fat in my face. Even the doctor was concerned about the blueish tint. I don't want to pay all the money for it if they are going to have to inject me with something to make it go away if that blue tint makes everything look worse.

Do you mind me asking how old you are?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake - I'm 36 in less than a month. I bet if we met in person, I'd be aspiring to look like you at 55! Don't be so hard on yourself! I am just lucky and unlucky in the skin department - I have my dad's "thicker" skin, but also have his skin sensitivities - we are prone to eczema, even though he refuses to call it eczema - he says all his flare ups are fungus. :errrr: Love it that his GP kinda ignores that and says, go with the hydrocortisone, which he does. :) Mom's skin has always been thinner, more delicate than dad's, but no allergic reactions whatsoever. It's a toss up. :)

I have been looking at belotero for you. It sounds like it is softer and does not have the blue tint problem. Maybe you can gather up a few dermatologist referrals from friends and just go in for a consult about undereye options, in particular, belotero. It seems to be on the newer side of the filler market, so maybe not all derms are as experienced or use It as frequently?

Some linkies I perused. I mean, yeah, most of these are like walking ads, but, it's an intro to belotero.

http://naturalresultsmed.com/confessions-of-a-botox-nurse/
http://www.celebritylaserspa.com/belotero-hyaluronic-acid-filler-belotero-los-angeles/
http://www.realself.com/question/belotero-tend-cause-more-swelling-than-the-fillers
http://www.realself.com/question/charlotte-nc-the-reason-doctors-offer-belotero-filler-option

PS - you mentioned no fat in face - I have too much fat I need to lose a LOT of weight, yet the under eye area and the forehead dents were still prominent, and as I've been slowly losing a pound a month on average I noticed that they seemed to be becoming more prominent. :(

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1418411201|3800158 said:
Calliecake - I'm 36 in less than a month. I bet if we met in person, I'd be aspiring to look like you at 55! Don't be so hard on yourself! I am just lucky and unlucky in the skin department - I have my dad's "thicker" skin, but also have his skin sensitivities - we are prone to eczema, even though he refuses to call it eczema - he says all his flare ups are fungus. :errrr: Love it that his GP kinda ignores that and says, go with the hydrocortisone, which he does. :) Mom's skin has always been thinner, more delicate than dad's, but no allergic reactions whatsoever. It's a toss up. :)

I have been looking at belotero for you. It sounds like it is softer and does not have the blue tint problem. Maybe you can gather up a few dermatologist referrals from friends and just go in for a consult about undereye options, in particular, belotero. It seems to be on the newer side of the filler market, so maybe not all derms are as experienced or use It as frequently?

Some linkies I perused. I mean, yeah, most of these are like walking ads, but, it's an intro to belotero.

http://naturalresultsmed.com/confessions-of-a-botox-nurse/
http://www.celebritylaserspa.com/belotero-hyaluronic-acid-filler-belotero-los-angeles/
http://www.realself.com/question/belotero-tend-cause-more-swelling-than-the-fillers
http://www.realself.com/question/charlotte-nc-the-reason-doctors-offer-belotero-filler-option

PS - you mentioned no fat in face - I have too much fat I need to lose a LOT of weight, yet the under eye area and the forehead dents were still prominent, and as I've been slowly losing a pound a month on average I noticed that they seemed to be becoming more prominent. :(

Pinto Bean, Thank you so much for the links. I will talk to my doctor about Belotero. I can't see me changing doctors because the one I go to is very conservative. The first time I had Botox the doctor I was seeing at the time went crazy with it and, my face looked and felt awful. I swore I'd never have Botox again. I friend of mine had also heard good things about the doctor and had the same results. People kept coming up to me asking if I was mad. It was terrible. The doctor I now see uses much less and the results are great. What they say about needing the few extra pounds for your face as you get older is so true. The extra weight is great for wrinkles. Your still really young. You probably have many years before you have to worry about Botox. I know in the not to distant future there will be a cream that you apply that will have the same results as Botox shots.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results