shape
carat
color
clarity

Just got my WAX Model pictures!!! What do you guys think??

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
Re: Just got my WAX Model pictures!!! What do you guys think

EvangelineG|1416581994|3787924 said:
Michelez|1416577278|3787873 said:
FrekeChild|1416520998|3787540 said:
Dirty gemstones and diamonds look cloudy/smoky and don't sparkle.

I don't consider this to be David's fault at all. He's been doing what you've asked every step of the way. This diamond is never going to be sparkly like an OEC, MRB, or any other stone with a pavilion, no matter how it's set.

I don't have a round white diamond solitaire as an engagement ring, so I get wanting to be different, but I think you've made a lot of mistakes along the way that should have been avoided, and now David is paying the price. I still think that not seeing the diamond before setting it was a big problem. If you had an idea of how the stone performed, you would have a better idea of how to set it.

I'm going to agree with the above. I think it put David at a real disadvantage because you didn't realize the properties of rose cuts, didn't even see the stone before it was set which was a huge mistake. You should have had the stone sent to you so you could "live with it" a while and get to know its characteristics. It's good that you are keeping a good attitude about this and I'll say the same thing about David.

+1 to both. I think David is going above and beyond here, and deserves nothing but kudos. Nothing is going to make a K look like a D, and a rose cut sparkle like a stone with a pavilion and more facets.

i never once blamed anybody about any part of this process. so you guys dont need to get all defensive about david for no reason.
we have a good working relationship so there's really no need to stir things up and go off topic.
i'm just going to clarify this one last time and hopefully we can get back to the real discussion of the setting.

the ring was cast everything was fine, then he set the pave and didn't like how the whole ring turned out. especially about the gallery so he asked me if he could remove the gallery and replace it with a bar, which made no sense to me.
thats when i told him, why not try just removing the gallery all together and see how it looks.

and this whole time, grace and i have kept in contact, and she suggested to have him hold a piece of metal behind the ring to see how that'll look.

the re-cast was david's idea and suggestion, and was not forcefully requested by me, i left up to him to figure out the best way to "fix" the things that we both didnt like. and he decided he wanted to recast it.

how we settle the cost of this extra work is between david and i and not anybody else's business and it's not what i came here to ask advice for.

david to me is more of a artist/jeweler than a business man, i fully respect that he wants to create a piece of work that he's proud of than to just "get the money" have a piece of jewelry made that he's not proud of.

screenshot_8.png

senorpacifico

Rough_Rock

I am loving all the settings in this topic. Nothing like seeing the wax molds before purchase. :naughty:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I looked around for pictures but couldn't find anything although I am 100% sure there were a few posted in the past. In any case, I just wanted to throw out this thought - full cut small round melees are generally very white; I think you might be seeing more tint in your pear due to the contrast of both the colour and cut of the stones. Is it possible to get lower coloured single cut melees? Or if the overall warmth looks too great, perhaps you might want to consider a higher colour pear?

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

ooeemusic|1416581200|3787916 said:
Blessed1|1416548367|3787782 said:
First, let me say, I think your stone is gorgeous! Really, I love it! but I do think part of the issue is what is said above. Maybe I'm seeing things, but to me, even with the back plate on, the stone still looks very warm. I don't think this particular stone is going to give you the bright white and sparkle you seem to be looking for.

i know it wasn't going to sparkle like a stone with a pavilion but there's ways to set warmer stones to enhance its properties. i've seen gorgeous warm colored stones set in rose gold setting that looks amazing.

i've offered suggestions of setting it in different color metals (yellow or rose gold) but david said this is what will make it look its best so i trusted his suggestions.

i've asked to see the stone just sitting on a back plate before anything was even casted, but he said it wouldn't look good but i guess after asking him 3~4 times he finally decided to show me some photos.

oh well, what's done is done, it's still not too late to fix everything.

as long as the ring turns out nice at the end, i dont see why trial and error is a bad way to do things :razz:

nobody gets things done perfectly the first time round. i'm sure it took victor a few tries before he perfected his emilya.

maybe this is david's learning opportunity on figuring out how to set rose cuts :D :D :D

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock

i know it wasn't going to sparkle like a stone with a pavilion but there's ways to set warmer stones to enhance its properties. i've seen gorgeous warm colored stones set in rose gold setting that looks amazing.

i've offered suggestions of setting it in different color metals (yellow or rose gold) but david said this is what will make it look its best so i trusted his suggestions.

i've asked to see the stone just sitting on a back plate before anything was even casted, but he said it wouldn't look good but i guess after asking him 3~4 times he finally decided to show me some photos.

oh well, what's done is done, it's still not too late to fix everything.

as long as the ring turns out nice at the end, i dont see why trial and error is a bad way to do things :razz:

nobody gets things done perfectly the first time round. i'm sure it took victor a few tries before he perfected his emilya.

maybe this is david's learning opportunity on figuring out how to set rose cuts :D :D :D

Nothing wrong with that at all! Personally, I really loved the look of the stone with the gallery removed and no backing at all. Those pictures made me swoon! But it's your ring, YOU need to love it!
I just started working with David on my ER ring remake and he has been so friendly so far! I'm glad, even though all the trail and error you are still so happy with him, it gives me more confidence for my own ring :dance:

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Chrono|1416582588|3787929 said:
I looked around for pictures but couldn't find anything although I am 100% sure there were a few posted in the past. In any case, I just wanted to throw out this thought - full cut small round melees are generally very white; I think you might be seeing more tint in your pear due to the contrast of both the colour and cut of the stones. Is it possible to get lower coloured single cut melees? Or if the overall warmth looks too great, perhaps you might want to consider a higher colour pear?
i think a different center stone is out of the question at this point. that was picked out by my bf so i'm going to try my best to make it work!

u know...i've asked those questions too...many...many times... (i attached out conversation below)
i honestly don't know what other questions i could ask to figure out what would work and what wouldn't work.
it's been "he thinks this will look good", "she thinks that will work"....and i have to make a call, when really, i'm not the expert on anything....i just get called out for the "mistakes", "errors" that i've "made"/"caused".

i wish i could just express my vision, my ideas to the designer and they can tell me whether it's feasible, if it'll look good and execute it. (but maybe that's just the engineer in me expect things to always work how i work...clients present me with their requests, and i provide them feasible solutions)

anyways, chrono do you think i should ask him to use J/K color melees? or not use single cuts? what would you use?
i honestly have no way of visualizing any of this to make an informed decision. so any opinions/suggestions are helpful at this point.

This is what I asked before the was wax model was made:

Me: My diamond is K colored so I don't know if super bright melees are a good contrast or bad one..

One thing that has me worried is the struts and doughnut underneath the diamond. It would work for a brilliant cut diamond but with the see-through-ness of the rose cut, how weird would it look?

I'm not sure if seeing both my finger and doughnut/strut would be too nice.
Do you have any rose cut examples that you could show me? Maybe put a small piece of metal under it so I can get an idea of how it looks if I see just the finger vs finger and metal.

Or if I sent you my diamond earlier, are you able to show me how it looks with my pear diamond?

David: I will lower the color of the diamonds to H or I-J (depending on how your center looks in person) if I think the contrast is visible. I like to use the highest color that is possible that looks beautiful. Rose cuts can face up quite white. If it were me I would not add a white back plate to a K colored stone. The white metal will make your stone face up more yellow.

this is what i asked after i saw the wax (i think)
Me: Would it be possible to see some pictures of my centre stone along with the melees just to see if I like the color/contrast and combination of rose cut with brilliant cut? I'm not sure if single cut melees would look better or another cut of melees.

David: I think single cut diamonds would look best with your rose cut stone. I can use brilliant cuts if you would prefer. You will not be able to tell from a picture the difference between the two.

this is what i asked after i saw pictures of the rough cast
Me: The center diamond looks slightly yellow in comparison to the platinum. Do you think we should use lower color melee stones so it doesn't make the center stone look any more yellow than it does now?

David: I think H-I color single cuts will look look beautiful with your stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Only you can make the call because David and Grace (or is it Erica) can only share their opinion, not their preference. Again, I think seeing the diamond in hand will answer all these questions to your satisfaction. It may also be that the rose cut K is too warm for you in person, which no one else can decide except you. It might be fine to one person but not so to another person.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Chrono|1416585128|3787957 said:
Only you can make the call because David and Grace (or is it Erica) can only share their opinion, not their preference. Again, I think seeing the diamond in hand will answer all these questions to your satisfaction. It may also be that the rose cut K is too warm for you in person, which no one else can decide except you. It might be fine to one person but not so to another person.

i dont think having the stone will help. i will need a platinum setting, perhaps even some yellow and rose gold metal, lots of melee stones of different color/cut and a back plate play around with before i can make an informed decision on the whole piece. because they all have to play together in harmony and only having one piece of the puzzle to play around with won't work.

even if i have the loose stone, like how grace had the stone, it's going to look different on its own as opposed to have a halo set around it(which will block some light) vs having melee set in the halo....etc....

unless i'm in someone's workshop with access to all these stuff, i won't be able to know what the best way to set this is.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

From personal experience, yellow gold is only going to make it yellower. I had an L set in platinum and it looked white. I reset in yellow and now it looks tinted (which is what I wanted). I have a J in a very enclosed platinum setting and it looks very white.

Based on what you are saying, I don't think anyone here can advise you any further. You either have to go with what David advises or make your own call. Personally, I've handled all my diamonds in person before deciding what is the best metal and design to be used (even though I don't have any melees to play with but I have seen and handled both full cut and single cut melees in the past). I doubt I can do so sight unseen.

Michelez

Shiny_Rock

I think having the stone in person will give you a realistic idea of how it looks in real life - pictures NEVER look the same as in real life. This, in turn, will give you a better idea of what you want to do with it. When I got my antique cushion cut, I didn't send it directly to David because I wanted to have a good idea of exactly what the stone looked like, what color is showed most of the time, how it looked in sunlight, in artificial light etc. I thought I knew what I wanted to do with it but when I got the stone and had it for a few weeks, I knew that what I thought was going to look great was not what I wanted at all. Would it have looked good in general in the settings I thought I loved? Yes it would have but not for ME. David would have loved every single setting idea I would have sent him, but I would not have because I knew the characteristics of the stone and how I wanted it to look to be happiest with it.

elizabethtwrs

Rough_Rock

I just wanted to chime in too that OP's attitude in this whole thing has been stellar. I've lurked in this thread for a while and really fell in love with your rose cut diamond. Glad that you're enjoying the process of exploring what setting suits your stone best, and am looking forward to how the end result will turn out. I'm sure it will turn out wonderfully gorgeous.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I promise you I'm not trying to be a jerk. I've spent a lot of time trying to help you make sense of all of this.

1. The stone is transparent. Whatever you put underneath it will be seen. I suggest you do as star sparkle did with her moonstone, and put something that is mostly metal, with cutouts (for cleaning), in a nice design. I, and many other posters, had mentioned that this stone would be transparent like glass and to not put the bar underneath it, as it would be visible and unattractive.

2. No one is talking about how much you are paying. David has been bending over backwards to accommodate your requests, I am sure that he will charge appropriately.

3. In my work with David, I have found that he will bend over backwards to make a client happy. This is a thousand times harder when the client a. Does not know what will make her happy and b. What would suit the stone best. Asking Grace and David for input on how your stone/ring would look best is a waste of their time, they don't know what would make you the happiest!

4. I see three options as it is right now: a. Metal design with cutouts b. Solid metal plate and c. No plate, just air and skin.

5. If the stone is too colored for you, that's just something you will have to deal with at this point. I wouldn't expect grace to accept a return at this point.

6. Engagement necklace rather than ring?

Look, it's your engagement ring. Believe it or not, we want you to be happy with it. Just as happy as Grace and David want you to be, but without money involved. It is only just now, after almost 5 years of marriage that I am finally happy with my own engagement ring. If I could go back in time and tell myself what to do to make me happy, I would. So while some of what we say might sound harsh, it's coming from a good place - we want you to be happy with whatever ends up on your finger!

So, pretending that you see your diamond as a piece of glass, what do you want to see through it? Solid metal so it's kind of reflective? Skin? Or a pretty metal design, like we had talked about before?

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Its not as easy to send stones to another country. I will get hit by customs and tax both times and its a lot of hassle explaining to customs "no I'm just viewing it, it will be sent back next week"

I wouldve sent it to my in a heartbeat if I lived in the states.

I am fine with the back plate, I don't think a backplate with cutout will be what I want.

The only concern right now is 1: cleaning the stone when gets dirty and 2: should I ask for a different color/cut melee to minimize the contrast between how wite the pave is vs the centre stone.

I'm not trying to turn this K stone into an H stone. But there's got to be a way to make it not look any tinted as it already is by minimizing the contrast of the whiteness of the surrounding metal/melee

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

1. I assume you cannot make a trip over the border? I think I read somewhere you are in Canada, is that correct?

2. I recommend taking a look at that huge round rose cut David did a while back. It has a plate a couple millimeters below the stone.

3. At this point you're going to just have to make a decision and deal with the consequences, I think.

What I would do:

Revise completely. I would ask for the lowest color melee possible. I would consider rose gold or platinum for the halo, with platinum for the plate and the rest of the ring. I would have him put a plate a couple of millimeters below the actual stone (you really do want to allow for cleaning, dirty diamonds do not look that pretty!) and figure out some way to disguise the halo from the side or just deal with it having a metal plate from the side view. I'd offer to help by sketching some ideas, but I am traveling and don't have a sketch book on me.

Michelez

Shiny_Rock

I believe with customs you would pay the fees when the stone is shipped to you then when the entire ring is shipped you would only pay fees for what the mount is worth because you already paid fees for the stone and you would have the paperwork to show that. Yes, you might have to deal with a few more forms and calls to them but I don't think you would get charged twice.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

FrekeChild|1416587629|3787984 said:
1. I assume you cannot make a trip over the border? I think I read somewhere you are in Canada, is that correct?

2. I recommend taking a look at that huge round rose cut David did a while back. It has a plate a couple millimeters below the stone.

3. At this point you're going to just have to make a decision and deal with the consequences, I think.

What I would do:

Revise completely. I would ask for the lowest color melee possible. I would consider rose gold or platinum for the halo, with platinum for the plate and the rest of the ring. I would have him put a plate a couple of millimeters below the actual stone (you really do want to allow for cleaning, dirty diamonds do not look that pretty!) and figure out some way to disguise the halo from the side or just deal with it having a metal plate from the side view. I'd offer to help by sketching some ideas, but I am traveling and don't have a sketch book on me.

i this the ring you're referring to? if so, i dont know where the gap is for cleaning, it looks like it's completely enclosed.
https://www.facebook.com/david.klas...0.1416588055./725088170907323/?type=3&theater

excuse my absolutely terrible quick sketches, but am i close to what your suggestion is with these rough sketches?

sketch1416588589580.png

sketch1416588733551.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have the backplate be at the same level as the scroll stuff so that it is partially hidden, rather than above the side scrolls/ornamentation. This will also eliminate the unsightly struts needed to support it, or at least remove the need for most of them.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Chrono|1416589368|3788005 said:
Have the backplate be at the same level as the scroll stuff so that it is partially hidden, rather than above the side scrolls/ornamentation. This will also eliminate the unsightly struts needed to support it, or at least remove the need for most of them.
that'll be good if it's sitting right on top of the scroll. but i'll still need to add additional support near the pointy tip of the diamond and the round bottom of the diamond.
maybe 4 struts? directly right under the prongs?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think four struts might look a little weird. I'd go for at least six, with the two "extras" on the long sides of the pear.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

VRBeauty|1416590554|3788019 said:
I think four struts might look a little weird. I'd go for at least six, with the two "extras" on the long sides of the pear.

what about having a more basket look?

something like what kenny suggested before but with the bottom completely filled in and a simpler profile design.

screen_shot_2014-10-09_at_0.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You might be able to get away with only 3 struts: 2 for the rounded part, one for the tip. There will be built-in support where the base touches the shank on both sides of the ring.

ETA
The latest picture you posted is very close to what I envisioned. The base is now a solid plate but the side decorative profile stays. Depending on the scrolls, you may not need additional struts as they will form a decorative support structure.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

No, this is the one.

I'm stuck posting from a phone, so responding is slowwwwww for me. But profile design on the sides of the plate, partially obscuring it.

_24458.jpg

_24459.jpg

Michelez

Shiny_Rock

I love that ring! You could easily clean under there with a very small brush and if you used a steam cleaner, viola!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The ring Freke posted will work. Instead of struts, you can change them into swirly scrolls or whatever design you want. I agree with Michelez that it is easy to keep clean and prevents the pesky see-through shank business. I'd also go with single cuts.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Chrono|1416590864|3788023 said:
You might be able to get away with only 3 struts: 2 for the rounded part, one for the tip. There will be built-in support where the base touches the shank on both sides of the ring.

ETA
The latest picture you posted is very close to what I envisioned. The base is now a solid plate but the side decorative profile stays. Depending on the scrolls, you may not need additional struts as they will form a decorative support structure.
This is partially what I had in mind too, but keep in mind this will not sit flush with a wedding band.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd forgotten about the flush wedding band issue...

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Chrono|1416591243|3788032 said:
I'd forgotten about the flush wedding band issue...

lol feels like we're going in circles haha back to the drawing board.....

.....or...if the plate is sitting on TOP of the scroll, there should be enough room for wedding band right? because the scroll itself has some height to it.

i'm most likely going to end up with a very thin 2mm or less band. it should be able to fit under the plate alongside the scroll right?

20141027_0.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think that will work too. Having a bit of gap is better than having no gap. Getting a brush in there might be more of a challenge but that's what the ultrasonic and steamer is for, right?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

This is laughable, but I'm working with what I've got.

A similar idea was used in one of the design contests he just ran, one of the requirements was that it had to fit flush with another band.

_24460.jpg

_24461.jpg

_24462.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Freke,
So it's a raised plate partially hidden behind the scroll, just high enough to allow the band to sit flush but low enough for cleaning access?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results