shape
carat
color
clarity

50th birthday present to myself dilemma!

Which option would you choose as a 50th birthday present?

• Re-set the EC in a more substantial diamond halo setting

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Enlarge the existing EC ring, get an inexpensive diamond band and a thin spacer ring and wear all th

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Make a new ring with the Spinels and leave the EC as it is

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What would you do, have a new ring made with Spinels bought specifically for this; or have my 40th birthday present to myself, a 1.19ct EC diamond re-set in a diamond halo with an air line/gap to make it more substantial so that I can wear it as a RHR on its own on my middle finger again as an occasional ring; or to enlarge the existing EC ring, and wear it with an relatively inexpensive diamond band with a thin spacer band in between?

I resisted the idea of re-setting the diamond for a long time, wrongly thinking the ring setting has sentimental value in that my ex-hubby's platinum band had been melted down and formed part of the new ring. However, I found out very recently that it was unlikely to be the case as it is highly unlikely for a bench to melt down existing jewellery to form a new ring due to risks of impurity etc...

The ring as it is no longer fit my middle RH finger. I can make it bigger, and wear it with a yet to be purchased inexpensive diamond band, with a yet to be purchased thin spacer band in between. The three rings together will resemble a wedding set that I am not too keen on. However, this will be the cheapest option out of the three, as the bands do not need to be in platinum for occasional wear.

A new Spinel ring will replace a three-stone ruby and diamond ring that I hold dear and wear on a daily basis. However, it is associated with fond as well as sad memories of my late partner, hence I thought it is about time for it to be replaced by another ring (it will still be worn from time to time, just not everyday).

Your thoughts will be much appreciated, and thanks for your help and suggestions in advance.

Pic of the existing EC ring that I wear with a 2mm Titanium band that has sentimental value in order to provide better finger coverage and make the EC ring more secure on the RH ring finger, the ring is currently 9.5 US in size, and my middle RH finger is now 10.5 US:

largeeconfinger.jpg

Pics of the new ring setting I have in mind for the EC:

images__2_.jpg

Pics of an inexpensive diamond band I have in mind to be worn with the EC in its current setting with a plain 1mm spacer band in between:

stackerring01a.jpg
stackerring02.jpg

Pics of the Spinels and the ring I have in mind for the new ring to be worn regularly on my LH ring finger:

jdspinelpt83ct.jpg
jdspinelpairpt53ct.jpg
vintage_gypsy_rings.jpg

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A funny side story.

The new semi-mount will be made abroad where it will cost a lot less than having it made in UK, for the EC to be taken out of its existing ring and re-set by a local jeweller that has its own bench.

When I made the enquiry about how much it would cost for the EC to be take out of its current setting and re-set in the new semi-mount, I was quoted 900 to 1.3k GBP!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Good job I asked again, re-iterating that I shall be supplying the new semi-mount, and they replied it will be in the region of 90 to 120 GBP, PHEW!!! :bigsmile:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk-

I have read and reread your posting in an attempt to grasp all the variables, but there are just too many and they are of too different a nature from one another for me to grapple with them. (Some deal with emotion such as whether a band that had huge sentimental value should be replaced and some are mundane such as that three rings would be the least costly option.)

What I can tell you is that I think the emerald cut diamond set in that halo setting would be really spectacular. Of all the options open, I think that that would be the look I would choose for myself if I had a choice just based on looks.

Happy 50th Birthday! I hope you choose something wonderful!

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb/AGBF,

I honestly did not believe I carry that much "baggages" until I read your reply, as I thought I was pretty good in compartmentalising the bad and unpleasant events and memories and got on with my life.

It is time to get rid of some of these baggages and enjoy the future while I can.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
JMO...

1. Though the semimount you've chosen is lovely, there is nothing wrong with the EC as it is except that it doesn't fit. Have it resized so you can wear it, hold off on buying any "mates" so that you can...

2. Put the money into setting the beautiful spinels so that they do not languish in a box but instead give you extra 50th joy as a new and spectacular ring (I've seen your thoughts on it elsewhere, yum).

Once you have your new ring, further decisions about the EC will naturally fall into place but you will be able to wear it in the meantime.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1416094119|3784364 said:
I honestly did not believe I carry that much "baggages" until I read your reply....

Oh, dear. I must have been pretty maladroit! Forgive me. I certainly didn't mean to be accusatory in any way. Starzin appears to know far more about your situation and about how you have been hoping to set your spinels. I love spinels and know that I would love to see yours set. I also love the slim diamond band with the curving silhouette you posted. It was just that I thought the halo-ed emerald looked beautiful!

Deb :wavey:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1416110414|3784483 said:
dk168|1416094119|3784364 said:
I honestly did not believe I carry that much "baggages" until I read your reply....

Oh, dear. I must have been pretty maladroit! Forgive me. I certainly didn't mean to be accusatory in any way. Starzin appears to know far more about your situation and about how you have been hoping to set your spinels. I love spinels and know that I would love to see yours set. I also love the slim diamond band with the curving silhouette you posted. It was just that I thought the halo-ed emerald looked beautiful!

It's all good, honest. Sometimes it takes a stranger to provide new insights and different perspectives, allowing me to sit back, take stock and count my blessings.

This time of the year is always a bit emotive for me due to anniversary of my late partner's death. I thought it would be easier as he died 6 years ago, however, it turned out not to be the case.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1416107351|3784471 said:
JMO...

1. Though the semimount you've chosen is lovely, there is nothing wrong with the EC as it is except that it doesn't fit. Have it resized so you can wear it, hold off on buying any "mates" so that you can...

2. Put the money into setting the beautiful spinels so that they do not languish in a box but instead give you extra 50th joy as a new and spectacular ring (I've seen your thoughts on it elsewhere, yum).

Once you have your new ring, further decisions about the EC will naturally fall into place but you will be able to wear it in the meantime.

Starzin,

Thanks for the advice.

The issue with the current EC ring setting is that it does not provide sufficient finger coverage when I wear it on its own, hence I always wear it with a band of some sort.

The new setting will provide more coverage. enabling me to wear it as a RHR on its own on the middle finger.

I am leaning towards having a new ring made.

If I have it made in unplated and polished 14K WG, I may be able to stretch it and get the new setting for the EC made in 14K WG also, as it is going to be an occasional ring and not one that I would want to wear on a daily basis - it will be too much bling for work for me.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for the halo for your EC - I think it will give you awesome finger coverage and look great as a middle finger ring, especially a halo with an airline! I also love halos :saint: I sympathize with your dilemma, I'm always nervous I'm going to make the wrong choice lol - but I usually try to imagine all the options on my finger, and what would make me the happiest to own at this moment in time. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1416161474|3784710 said:
I voted for the halo for your EC - I think it will give you awesome finger coverage and look great as a middle finger ring, especially a halo with an airline! I also love halos :saint: I sympathize with your dilemma, I'm always nervous I'm going to make the wrong choice lol - but I usually try to imagine all the options on my finger, and what would make me the happiest to own at this moment in time. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide!

Actually, junebug, as I look at your icon I see what looks like a great combination for dk! She could halo her emerald cut and get the delicate, curved diamond "stacker" type band she posted as well to wear with it. It would have the look of your huge solitaire and wedding band! (Which, in my opinion, is a fabulous look!)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm, it is not a combination that I would wear.

I am only wearing the EC in its current setting with a plain Titanium band because I find the shank too narrow and does not provide sufficient finger coverage. My fault for not specifying a wider band after I selected the diamond - I only specified it had to be bezel-set.

If I could rewind the clock, I would have requested a wider comfort fit band.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of re-setting the emerald with a substantial halo. For my taste, however, it would probably be a ring-finger ring rather than a middle finger ring. I have a number of middle finger rings and I wear them a lot*, but I like my middle finger rings to have a very strong presence. I prefer the decorative element be large enough E/W to cover the width of the finger, and/or to have a much stronger N/S presence so the ring adds a lengthening element. Of course, that's just my preference which has nothing to do with your personal taste. Have you tried a ring with proportions similar the "with halo" version on, so that you're sure you like that look for your hand?

* or I used to, not that long ago when I was still working. Right now I'm in a greatly simplified "space" and wearing very little jewelry. :wink2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the advice, VRBeauty.

I would wear the EC on its own on my middle RH finger had the shank been wider. However, I envisage it would be costly to cut out the diamond and its bezel setting, and reset it in a wider new band, especially if I were to have this done in UK!

Hence I thought about going down the route of complete re-set with a halo.

Here is a pic of my everyday 5mm platinum band with 0.42ct EC next to my larger EC for comparison.

bezelsetdiamondrings.jpg

Below is my 1.6 something caret ruby with a shank that is about 10mm (a heavy ring as it is platinum), next to my everyday 3-stone ruby ring that the new spinel ring will replace:

bezelsetrubyrings.jpg

Lots of shiny white metal suits me.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, just saw your nice comments - thank you so much - I'm flattered!

So…what are you leaning towards dk168? Isn't trying to decide a bit torturous? I'm trying to make a bling decision and at first it was fun but now it's starting to stress me out lol!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Starzin,

Thanks for the advice.

The issue with the current EC ring setting is that it does not provide sufficient finger coverage when I wear it on its own, hence I always wear it with a band of some sort.

The new setting will provide more coverage. enabling me to wear it as a RHR on its own on the middle finger.

I am leaning towards having a new ring made.

If I have it made in unplated and polished 14K WG, I may be able to stretch it and get the new setting for the EC made in 14K WG also, as it is going to be an occasional ring and not one that I would want to wear on a daily basis - it will be too much bling for work for me.

Simply re-shanking the ring to a wider and correct size may not cost as much as you anticipate if you go with the same metal as it currently is and negotiate a trade-in for the gold.

Can you give us a profile shot of the basket and bridge if there is one?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I received the spinels today, and the pink spinel is gorgeous! However, although the purple pair are very nice on their own too, they do not go as well as I had anticipated with the pink spinel. Therefore, I shall be returning the purple pair to JD, and look for a pair of vivid blue stones instead, most likely to be sapphire from JD.

At this moment in time, I am looking at re-setting the EC instead, with the refund from Jeff and the money I can raise for selling the old ring setting to pay towards the new setting.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin,

The new ring setting for the EC will be a complete new one, as I realised re-shanking is expensive - it is definitely the case in UK!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry that the re-shanking is not an option but you sound happy with your decision so that's the way to go.

What a pity the purple spinels didn't look as good IRL. Not to worry, there's no hurry to find the sidestones for the gorgeous pink one now so I'm sure something will turn up. Did you take photos for us?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a photo of the spinels, using the phone on my camera (apology for the poor quality pic):

spinels_0.jpg

As already mentioned, the pink spinel is a keeper, however, the purple spinels do not go as well as I had hoped, the contrast is too subtle for my liking, and does not "pop" at me.

I shall get the EC reset first before sourcing a pair of blue stones.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh the color of that spinel is just beautiful dk168! The purple spinels are really pretty too, but I get what you're saying about them not popping in combination with the pink - I'm very excited about your reset, keep us posted!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
The spinels are ovely DK but I understand your decision not to use them. The pink is lovely though!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks both!

I was very tempted to keep the purple spinels, as they went rather well with my cheapo 6mm blue Topaz from Jeff D. However, the refund will help towards the cost of the new ring setting for the EC, so off they went in the post today.

Here is a pic of the purple spinels with the 6mm blue Topaz:

purplespinelsbluetopaz.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results