shape
carat
color
clarity

6.34ct Alexandrite Sri Lankan

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, they made a typo on one of my brief reports.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
eastjavaman|1416235271|3785092 said:
Thanks for sharing LisaRn, I was wondering if you could post pictures of your stone for our enjoyment.
@liao, indeed we are a bunch of friendly breed.
@stracci, thanks for the compliment, it is safekept at all times unfortunately, since it is big and prominent that the attentions its getting are lost in translation, of whether people looking because they think it is synthetic or they want to rob. :lol:

updated:
@chrono, thank you for your advice. How do you know about Nanyang Gem Inst btw? What was your experience? I find that he is actually a fair grader of stones and would not easily give a top grade for a stone, despite his lack of top grade equipment(LIBS), he assures me that he can detect BE treatment and at the worst case would be an "unconfirmed" opinion in which he will recommend to go for LIBS testing.

I would post pics for your enjoyment but unfortunately ebay only lists past auctions for 61 days and the other forum does not seem to recognize my password. So I couldn't grab the pics from those past listings. I would bet some forum members may remember my attempt to sell but to be fair it has been ages since I posted it for sale. If I get a chance I will take some new pics for you. Since my stone is so similar to yours in color I am of course hoping you do well with your sale because if you do I will be listing my ring for sale again. The setting was worth more than my listing and basically the Alexandrite was free. That Alexandrite taught me a very valuable lesson when buying gems. The lesson was that if it is not beautiful, it is basically worthless to most buyers. No matter how rare or big a gemstone might be, beauty trumps all.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
But your Alexandrite is def. not ugly!!!

There is a color change and it is really large - still a valuable gem!!

Recutting?? Is there a fracture??

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to have missed your question about Nanyang. I've been to that area several times and also frequent the other gemmology forum, so Nanyang isn't unknown to me. I would trust NY for everything except corundum only because of the lack of LIBS/LA-ICP-MS. If the sapphire was sold as unheated, then I have confidence that NY can confirm that easily. Corundum treatment is moving at a very fast pace with treatment discovery outpacing labs so I tend to be more conservative with this gem type.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
@Marlow, the lab report did not specify the inclusions as fracture. The gemologist suggests that I do not recut as there is a chance to turn the stone into a pure Chrysoberyl. :errrr:

@Chrono, Thanks.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
eastjavaman|1416235271|3785092 said:
Thanks for sharing LisaRn, I was wondering if you could post pictures of your stone for our enjoyment.
@liao, indeed we are a bunch of friendly breed.
@stracci, thanks for the compliment, it is safekept at all times unfortunately, since it is big and prominent that the attentions its getting are lost in translation, of whether people looking because they think it is synthetic or they want to rob. :lol:

updated:
@chrono, thank you for your advice. How do you know about Nanyang Gem Inst btw? What was your experience? I find that he is actually a fair grader of stones and would not easily give a top grade for a stone, despite his lack of top grade equipment(LIBS), he assures me that he can detect BE treatment and at the worst case would be an "unconfirmed" opinion in which he will recommend to go for LIBS testing.

Snapped a pic- which BTW is not flattering. The stone is ugly, just not as ugly as the pic. 019_1.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the pic Lisa! I like it. I don't think those brownish olivey coloured stones are ugly, I do like them in FCDs (chameleon diamonds are cool). Yes, they are definitely unpopular. One should pay an appropriate price is all.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for sharing LisaRn. Alex are difficult to photograph. Unless you have a conducive surrounding i.e. photoshop :naughty:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6ct is a good size for an Alex which is a big plus but the disadvantages are (1) the daylight colour - yellowish/green is not desirable in an Alex and (2) the cut which looks to be a reasonably good native cut which will put some people off. Unfortunately if people are paying top dollar they want everything including a good cut and (3) the inclusion which is fairly evident. For Alex collectors this isn't too much of a problem (because the size makes up for it) but it will still be a distractor and seems to cut across the stone/eyeline. If however this is a fracture then it will dramatically reduce the value of the stone and may make it difficult to sell unfortunately.

I'm very interested in why you've been told that a re-cut would turn this into a chrysoberyl? That's actually impossible! A new cut might change the colour in both colourways but if it's an Alex, it's an Alex! I suspect therefore that it has a fracture?

So, I'm afraid that I agree with LisaRN. You're unlikely to get top dollar because your stone (although a great size), doesn't have the attributes that true Alex enthusiasts look for.

I hope you don't mind me being so frank but I would prefer to be honest and realistic.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
LD|1419612901|3807932 said:
6ct is a good size for an Alex which is a big plus but the disadvantages are (1) the daylight colour - yellowish/green is not desirable in an Alex and (2) the cut which looks to be a reasonably good native cut which will put some people off. Unfortunately if people are paying top dollar they want everything including a good cut and (3) the inclusion which is fairly evident. For Alex collectors this isn't too much of a problem (because the size makes up for it) but it will still be a distractor and seems to cut across the stone/eyeline. If however this is a fracture then it will dramatically reduce the value of the stone and may make it difficult to sell unfortunately.

I'm very interested in why you've been told that a re-cut would turn this into a chrysoberyl? That's actually impossible! A new cut might change the colour in both colourways but if it's an Alex, it's an Alex! I suspect therefore that it has a fracture?

So, I'm afraid that I agree with LisaRN. You're unlikely to get top dollar because your stone (although a great size), doesn't have the attributes that true Alex enthusiasts look for.

I hope you don't mind me being so frank but I would prefer to be honest and realistic.

Not at all LD. Thanks for dropping by. :mrgreen:

bruce_lee

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am new here, i just found this friendly forum with so many knowledgeable members : )

Recently i saw this Sri Lanka Alexandrite from Ebay, just wondering if this is more of a color change Chrysoberyl or a real Alexandrite and may i know what is the right price per carat for this kind of stone please ?

Cheers

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like GIA considers it an Alexandrite but due to its colouration both ways, it's not a sought after stone and shouldn't be priced that high.

bruce_lee

Rough_Rock
Thank you Chrono,

So may i know approximately how much is right per carat for this stone please ? I am totally new in this field : )

Cheers

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I highly doubt whether an Alex expert (or indeed another lab) would designate this as an Alexandrite. The whole point of an Alex is that it's a colour changing stone (ie the colour changes and leaps from one side of the colour wheel to another ie green to red). With this stone it's a colour SHIFTER that means that the colours shifts slightly to the left or right of the wheel but does not jump across it. Therefore this is much more likely to be a Chrysoberyl.

If you asked an Alex collector if they wanted that Ebay stone, the answer would probably be no. To somebody who likes shifting gemstones and wants one with olive green and browns (and some people love these colour in their gems) then they'd like it.

It most certainly (for me) is grossly overpriced and I would never call this an Alex or price it accordingly.

I would look at Chrysoberyls and compare pricing to those.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD,
The GIA lab report calls it an alexandrite due to its primary colour, but I agree that an Alex collector wouldn't touch this stone.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1442006725|3926712 said:
LD,
The GIA lab report calls it an alexandrite due to its primary colour, but I agree that an Alex collector wouldn't touch this stone.

I know, I saw that. However I disagree with them! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
LD |1442013221|3926728 said:
LD,

I know, I saw that. However I disagree with them! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

This 2 quotes sound like they come from 2 Doctors that disagree with GIA, or should I say 1 Doctor since LD and Chrono are, in fact.... :Up_to_something:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eastjavaman|1442047776|3926811 said:
LD |1442013221|3926728 said:
LD,

This 2 quotes sound like they come from 2 Doctors that disagree with GIA, or should I say 1 Doctor since LD and Chrono are, in fact.... :Up_to_something:

Wash your mouth out now Eastjavaman! :bigsmile:

Said with love by LD, Chrono and Lady Disdain (triplets borne to another mother)!

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
My bad, I forgot Lady Disdain. :roll:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results