shape
carat
color
clarity

Best moisturizer for pathetic and dry hands in the winter

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
My hands have become so dry, during the cool weather and are not attractive at all. My cuticles hate me. I am constantly washing my hands and need to do a better job of wearing my dishwashing gloves.

Please share with me what type of hand moisturizer you use.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Best moisturizer for pathetic and dry hands in the winte

Aveeno Daily Moisturizer during the day because it's not greasy. Moisturize every time after you wash your hands, and in between as needed.

The Body Shop Hemp Hand Protector in the evenings or at night - it's somewhat greasy so it isn't so good to use while at work.

Rubber gloves, rubber gloves, rubber gloves when hands are exposed to water. Can't emphasize that enough!

Rubbing lotion on your cuticles will also help make your nails grow strong and long.

Winter can be brutal on skin. Good luck!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Crabtree & Evelyn Goatsmilk Hand Therapy once or twice a day, and paint your cuticles with vitamin E oil before bed.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Circe|1416454758|3786987 said:
Crabtree & Evelyn Goatsmilk Hand Therapy once or twice a day, and paint your cuticles with vitamin E oil before bed.

My mother always uses Goatsmilk from C & E. Apparently her mother did as well. I still buy her the soap when I find it occasionally (no C & E store here but several boutiques carry the line).

I used to use Moisturel in the tub (as opposed to the lotion bottle, not the bathtub.) Great stuff, no fragrance or additives.

Now I use TreeHut body butter for everything. Body/face/hands/feet. It's not greasy but it's THICK. I've been using it for at least 10 years now. I go through a 7 oz. container of it twice a month. I like to slather myself. I don't wear perfume but people always tell me I smell like cookies or coconuts, depending on what flavor I'm on that day. I also use their sugar scrub, body wash, and regular lotion during the day. I freaking love that stuff and it's easy to find at Target/WalMart/Kroger.

Olive Oil for super dry cuticles year-round.

I haven't found a good remedy for static-y hair in the winter. I blow out my hair a few days a week and it's great until I walk outside in the freezing cold and zero humidity, then it just plasters itself to my head like I rubbed one of those kid's plastic firefighter helmets on it. Yuck. Help!

Edited for clarity.

Bananas

Rough_Rock

My favorite hand lotion is L'Occitaine Shea Butter Hand Cream. Kiehl's Creme de Corps is also an amazing body lotion. I also love their cuticle cream.

I struggle with this problem in the winter too. I find that applying moisturizer to hands and cuticles at night and wearing cotton gloves to bed can really help.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The only one that really works well for my hands has been Gold Bond Healing lotion. I use the unscented formula.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you so much for the wonderful remedies! I am going shopping today :)

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I have horrid hands and bleeding, cracked cuticles, eczema below my fingers so I am the worst case. The absolute best I have ever used and tried just about everything from natural to high end was Estee Lauder Re-Nutriv hand cream, very very pricey though. L'Occitane Shea Butter hand cream is the second best, everything from their shea butter line is great, the body cream works great on hands too, the cuticle cream is amazing. If you have problems with your cuticles definitely get that, apply first and then the hand cream or the body cream. Then if you want very simple and inexpensive use pure shea butter, I use a natural shea butter with a bit of grape seed oil. Old German formula Nivea is great too, cheap as well. These work great if you have serious problems with your hands but are not really light weight, light weight things do not work for me. Sometimes you have to make a choice, if you find your hands too greasy then wipe some off a bit later.

soocool

Ideal_Rock

I use Avon's intensive moisture therapy in the tube. Non greasy and I just stocked up when they had a great sale. Now my sister swears by something called Bag Balm. I used it a few times in the past few weeks when I visited her and would consider changing over once my stash has been depleted.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OVincze|1416491369|3787168 said:
I have horrid hands and bleeding, cracked cuticles, eczema below my fingers so I am the worst case. The absolute best I have ever used and tried just about everything from natural to high end was Estee Lauder Re-Nutriv hand cream, very very pricey though. L'Occitane Shea Butter hand cream is the second best, everything from their shea butter line is great, the body cream works great on hands too, the cuticle cream is amazing. If you have problems with your cuticles definitely get that, apply first and then the hand cream or the body cream. Then if you want very simple and inexpensive use pure shea butter, I use a natural shea butter with a bit of grape seed oil. Old German formula Nivea is great too, cheap as well. These work great if you have serious problems with your hands but are not really light weight, light weight things do not work for me. Sometimes you have to make a choice, if you find your hands too greasy then wipe some off a bit later.

L'Occitane's hand and foot creams are amazing, but I HATE the smell. Good suggestion, though; others may like it just fine and it definitely works.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Try to find gentler options for dish soap and handsoap.

Sleeping with a humidifier helps my skin.

As soon as I'm done showering, I apply a skin shielding lotion - Skin MD Naturals first, blow dry, then apply cream. Right now, I'm using the cetaphil cream in a tub - it sinks in fast! I also tried cetaphil restoraderm, but it initially stings on any cracked spots.

Before I step out of the house, I rub some cream or lotion on my hands, and don my husband's fleece gloves on - I use his fleece gloves because they're washable, and right now I can only find leather ones in my stash. :) It does help prevent further chapping in the cold, and I feel like I'm giving my hands some TLC as I'm driving. ;-)

CrisM

Shiny_Rock

Olive oil saves my skin and cuticles like nothing else. I also use Bag Balm at work (husband objects to the smell at home, haha). I am barefoot at home and my feet suffer for it. I have a cure for that as well now - calluses gone in two days and it's inexpensive: Flexitol Heel Balm. You can get it via Amazon or most pharmacies. A life saver. http://www.flexitol.com/us/products/foot-care/heel-balm

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1416455785|3786994 said:

My mother always uses Goatsmilk from C & E. Apparently her mother did as well. I still buy her the soap when I find it occasionally (no C & E store here but several boutiques carry the line).

I used to use Moisturel in the tub (as opposed to the lotion bottle, not the bathtub.) Great stuff, no fragrance or additives.

Now I use TreeHut body butter for everything. Body/face/hands/feet. It's not greasy but it's THICK. I've been using it for at least 10 years now. I go through a 7 oz. container of it twice a month. I like to slather myself. I don't wear perfume but people always tell me I smell like cookies or coconuts, depending on what flavor I'm on that day. I also use their sugar scrub, body wash, and regular lotion during the day. I freaking love that stuff and it's easy to find at Target/WalMart/Kroger.

I haven't found a good remedy for static-y hair in the winter. I blow out my hair a few days a week and it's great until I walk outside in the freezing cold and zero humidity, then it just plasters itself to my head like I rubbed one of those kid's plastic firefighter helmets on it. Yuck. Help!

Edited for clarity.

Threadjack Alert

Hi Monnie, I just answered Mom Happy's thread with a great product for hair static.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Calliecake|1416505693|3787309 said:
monarch64|1416455785|3786994 said:

Edited for clarity.

Threadjack Alert

Hi Monnie, I just answered Mom Happy's thread with a great product for hair static.

I saw your post! Thanks!!!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Liz Earle products- natural ingredients and non greasy. The Superskin body lotion is lovely, I see there's a hand cream now too, might try it myself!

My dad swears by Norwegian Formula though!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have been using that First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream on my face and body for a few weeks and that's helped a LOT. I also use LaMer hand cream (!) and even that OKeefes Working Hands stuff. I usually reserve that for after I finish an order though.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have to second the recommendation for Aveeno moisturiser. My daughter was given it on prescription for her dermatitis and its the best cream she has every used.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

In winter, I always get horrible cracking and bleeding around my cuticles, knuckles and also splitting/bleeding under my fingernails.
Wow, that description sounds gruesome! But it is true.
A few years ago, a friend suggested super glue. (the liquid kind, not gel) Simply apply a small amount on cracked/split cuticles. It seals them up so they heal.
After a few days, the glue falls off , and by then, the cracks are mostly healed underneath. Cheap, and it works for me.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I would caution you against using superglue regularly on broken skin, why? Superglue contains an altered form of a deadly poison until it dries, you can smell the bitter almonds they used to smell on patients during the Middle Ages that died of cyanide. Now, ok before you get too scared the form in superglue is considered pretty safe, that said it is said to cause allergic reactions in certain people and breathing problems when breathed in. Perhaps it could work for most but I for one would not want cyanide in my bloodsteam. I may be too cautious but better be safe than sorry.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OVincze|1416529458|3787637 said:
I would caution you against using superglue regularly on broken skin, why? Superglue contains an altered form of a deadly poison until it dries, you can smell the bitter almonds they used to smell on patients during the Middle Ages that died of cyanide. Now, ok before you get too scared the form in superglue is considered pretty safe, that said it is said to cause allergic reactions in certain people and breathing problems when breathed in. Perhaps it could work for most but I for one would not want cyanide in my bloodsteam. I may be too cautious but better be safe than sorry.
I'm not pouring it on my hands. Or into big wet cuts. Just a tiny dab in a cracked spot. But thanks for the info!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Stracci, have you tried any liquid bandage products? Those would be safer than Superglue.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

DD was up north all last winter and swears by Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula with Vitamin E. Or she just buys coco butter, food grade, from a health food store and rubs that on.

Now she's back down South where the 80% humidity keeps us all dewy. :bigsmile:

hoover

Shiny_Rock

Another vote for Aveeno lotion - it absorbs quickly without being greasy and truly doesn't have a scent if you're sensitive to fragrances. I don't like how some lotions claim to be un scented but they still have a (usually unpleasant) smell to them.

I also use Burt's Bees lemon butter cuticle balm. It works like a charm and has a pleasantly light lemon scent.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

Calliecake|1416459628|3787036 said:
The only one that really works well for my hands has been Gold Bond Healing lotion. I use the unscented formula.

Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Lotion. This is usually available in the travel size at Target; good for trying without huge expense. I use this on my heels during sandal season; nothing works better.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Will these moisturizers work for a guy? My fingers will get dry, cracks and bleeds during the summer... :wacko:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

I like Cetaphil lotion because it's not greasy. My hands get really dry in the winter, too, and that works really well.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dancing Fire|1416552195|3787796 said:
Will these moisturizers work for a guy? My fingers will get dry, cracks and bleeds during the summer... :wacko:
Really any of them would as long as you use them consistently. That one I mentioned, the WORKING HANDS stuff, is actually I think made for guys. Tradesmen and the like.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'll take a look over these suggestions, but one thing I do after taking a shower is rub vaseline into the cuticles of my fingers which really seems to help.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results