color
clarity

Opinion needed: OEC's or not?

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

What is your opinion on these diamonds?

The one in the centre looks like OMC on photo, but in RL looks more like OEC , and the others look like OEC's but they have huge tables....

What do they look like to you?

I'd love to hear your opinions.

_24126.jpg

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
same photo closer

bild6.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMC centre, early round brilliants or transitionals for the rest except possibly the stone on the far left which looks more like an OEC to my eye. Sometimes rings do have a mix of both types of old cuts.

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you arkieb1,

The stones are H/SI, are they in your opinion in the same price range with other older cuts? I'm between selling the ring or keeping it and using the smaller diamonds for dbty bracelet. What would you do?

Thank you,

Roi

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Roi|1416138392|3784573 said:
Thank you arkieb1,

The stones are H/SI, are they in your opinion in the same price range with other older cuts? I'm between selling the ring or keeping it and using the smaller diamonds for dbty bracelet. What would you do?

Thank you,

Roi

Depends if you want to buy something else instead, then I would consider selling them, if not then they appear nice and white, finding genuine antique stones that are white is becoming more difficult. I like the centre diamond, I can't really comment on the rest because you cannot see them that well in the pic to know if they are really flat crowns shallow cuts or if they are nice early modern brilliants but with obvious big tables.

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Could by looking identify the shallow cuts, i mean what shall i look for? Anything that can be seen without the loupe?

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Could i just by looking identify the shallow cuts, i mean what shall i look for? Anything that can be seen without the loupe?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice OECs generally have a big tall crown and some depth the the lower half of them as well. If these have barely any crown height and aren't really deep then that indicates they are transitional stones. See how they compare to the centre stone with a loupe or without, depth wise, we already know the tables are bigger and the cut pattern looks like a transitional/early modern brilliant. A couple of the stones do not look like complete flatties in your existing pic, so I am wondering if they will show a different cut pattern ie more of a OEC pattern if you could actually take a better pic of the other stones in the ring.

Or better yet take a photo holding the piece side on so we can see the stones side on, and a really clear one of the smaller stones top down so they are not on any sort of angle.

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
From the side....

img_6058.jpg

img_6059.jpg

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
One more from the side....

img_6060.jpg

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
And smaller side stones......

img_6062.jpg

img_6063.jpg

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
the smallest one...

img_6065.jpg

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
From the other side.....

img_6066.jpg

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Are these photos too small now to see all the details?

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
A few more photos, previous seems to be to small after resizing, so another try....

img_6067.jpg

img_6068.jpg

img_6069.jpg

img_6070.jpg

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sorry, not so much better ones.....

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you zoom in at all? I use a loupe taped on my Iphone camera to get close up pics. The stones do look like they have flatter crowns in the side on pics. They look fine for a dbty bracelet, if you want to repurpose, unlike many old cuts they are a nice white colour.

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately i have no loupe yet, must get one :wall: , but maybe this time it will work out.....

img_6077.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great photo, you can see what I was explaining, see the centre stone has a nice sized crown and depth, the other sides stones have much smaller crown heights and are what I call flatties, although they all have an O.K lower half depth - this corresponds with big tables and a different cut pattern to the centre stone so they are early modern brilliants/transitional type of cuts.....

Do you like the ring? I guess the choice is keep it as is and wear it, sell it or repurpose it. I'd probably be tempted to keep the centre stone and turn it into a bezelled pendant, or a bezelled bracelet like the ones at Love Affair Diamonds;

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/gallery/bracelets/55ct-antique-cushion-cut-diamond-bangle-cuff-520.html#.VGso5-0Vq5Q

and use the rest of the stones in a dbty style bracelet or necklace if that is what you want you think you would like, or maybe attempt to find a match for it and turn the centre stone into a bezelled pair of earrings and the rest into a dbty bracelet or maybe a dbty bracelet or necklace with all the stones....

They would look great in something like this;

http://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Bracelets-and-Vintage-Watches/198tcw-7-Stone-Old-European/

Or I guess you could sell the whole thing and just buy something else - too many choices :lol: the great thing is the stones are nice and white, it's more difficult to find white stones in old cuts.

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi arkieb1,

Thank you for helping me out!!!!

I thought the same way: to keep the central stone and use it later for a bracelet (must say i just love Grace's new bracelets, pricy though nowadays....while ago asked for a quote for dbty :))))) and use smaller ones for dbty bracelet. The one you suggested (7graduated diamonds) is beautiful!!!

Yesterday, though i checked out David Klass creations and thought of resetting stones :))) just have to wait and see.... Resetting or making something new will need some funds of course :)))))

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have lots of choices!!!! When you are ready email all of them for quotes, try Caysie as well...... I repurpose or sell a lot of things I don't wear too, deciding what to make next is half the fun!!!! :lol:

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you arkieb1, i shall do it! Planning is a lot of fun, even the most exciting part for me :))))) always looking for new projects.....

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
Excited to see how you repurpose the stones, though the setting is very pretty as is!

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you tmot14 :), i'm in between two choices: to use stones for dbty bracelet in rg or to reset the stones....i really would like the trellis setting in wg, but right now waiting for advices from the jeweller :) would like to hear his opinion on my choices :think: and it will take time to proceed, because of coming holidays, though i do not mind to have extra time to think about it :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results