Votes: 4 15.4%
  • VC trueste solitaire

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • None - I'll tell you below

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
S

SparkliesLuver

Hi, everyone. I've recently acquired my dream green-blue stone from Gene at Precision Gem. :) Now I need to narrow down my top three setting ideas. However, if there's something else you prefer, by all means please share!

What I'd like:
Classic, timeless setting
No diamonds (I want the stone to be the centerpiece, especially since it's large already at 11.1mm)
Double-claw prongs
*middle finger occasional wear right hand ring

Here are my top three (in random order):
1. Split shank with open profile. No diamonds. Double-claw prongs.
2. Twist band. Double-claw prongs. No diamonds.
3. Victor Canera trueste solitaire. Exactly as shown.

I'm thinking 14k white gold or platinum. Which would you choose?

Thank you! :) Can't wait to hear what everyone thinks.

split.png

split1.png

_24323.jpg

_24324.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Additional setting pictures.

_24327.jpg

trueste.png

trueste1.png

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apology for being cheeky here, however, I wondering how many pages this thread is going to be. :naughty:

Got to go back to work after my lunch break, and I shall contribute later if I am still allowed.

DK :Up_to_something: :bigsmile:

S

SparkliesLuver

dk168 said:
Apology for being cheeky here, however, I wondering how many pages this thread is going to be. :naughty:
Got to go back to work after my lunch break, and I shall contribute later if I am still allowed.

Hopefully not as long, DK. But I'd still like people's opinions. :)

S

SparkliesLuver

Here are a couple pictures of my new stone.

img_6084.jpg

img_7.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The twist can be modified into a single shank, rather than double shank.

_24328.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Yeah, that's true, Chrono. Would that design (or some variation of) be your favorite?

S

SparkliesLuver

Ahhhhh, I remember that ring! I looked for awhile the other weekend but couldn't find the thread. Sweet. :D Thanks, Chrono. I do love that ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could set it on it's side too, so the stone is like a baseball diamond. Everyone sets cushions the same way, so that's just another option to mix things up a bit and be more unique.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been thinking of orienting my cushion tsavorite like a kite (tips pointing NSEW) but don't know to incorporate the trilliant side stones if I do so.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Kelpie's ring that Chrono posted. Your tourmaline would look amazing in that setting!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone is so big and beautiful. So I would keep it simple with the Trueste.

S

SparkliesLuver

As much as I like Kelpie's ring, I'm not so sure I could pull it off. It looks gorgeous on her hand though!

That's true, TL, I could rotate it. I'll play around tonight with the stone and see what I think.

I've gravitated back to that setting on numerous occasions, Acinom. The simplicity of the design combined with his craftsmanship is pretty divine.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I first saw the stone and found it is a cushion, I immediately thought about the Tiffany's Legacy style of setting, as in a diamond halo:

303_1394945725_2_0.jpg

dia770i-tiffany-co-legacy-tourmaline-engagement-ring.jpg

Personally, I am not a fan of split or twisted shank, with or without stones. If I had a cushion to set in a Legacy-inspired setting, I would request for a plain comfort fit shank. However, that's just me.

DK :))

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1416345215|3785939 said:
When I first saw the stone and found it is a cushion, I immediately thought about the Tiffany's Legacy style of setting, as in a diamond halo:

303_1394945725_2_0.jpg

dia770i-tiffany-co-legacy-tourmaline-engagement-ring.jpg

Personally, I am not a fan of split or twisted shank, with or without stones. If I had a cushion to set in a Legacy-inspired setting, I would request for a plain comfort fit shank. However, that's just me.

DK :))

I love the style of the Tiffany Legacy, and I own about five knockoffs of that particular setting (but with prongs), but I would highly caution against bezeling it because

1) Unless you have a superb jeweler, the bezel never looks right, and to be honest, it's uneven on that actual Tiffany Legacy as well.
2) Bezeling it can chip the stone, more so than a prong setting.
3) Bezels tend to cover up too much of the crown and the lovely girdle faceting on a well done precision cut gem like Gene's.

So love the design, but no to the bezel.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I love the twisted single shank look -- elegant & simple, lets the stone take the limelight. I agree w/TL about bezels, don't think it's the thing for this stone -- a beauty, btw! :love:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1416319469|3785714 said:
The twist can be modified into a single shank, rather than double shank.

I like this one best for your stone.

S

SparkliesLuver

DK: Thank you for your opinion! As much as I like that style of ring, I just don't think I can halo or bezel this stone. If I had found something smaller than my ideal size of 10x10mm, I'd consider a halo. But with it being 11.1mm and so well cut, I can't do it. Plus, I sort of have my heart set on double-claw prongs.

JewelFreak: Thanks for chiming in, and I appreciate your nice comment about the stone. :) Elegant and simple is definitely the way I'd like to go.

Packrat: Thank you. :) I've contacted the vendor of that design to see if they can provide any additional photos, especially the profile.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander,
Hope you've taken care of this already but there's a missing melee in your setting (last picture, on the lowest bridge touching the finger).

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1416430034|3786685 said:
iLander,
Hope you've taken care of this already but there's a missing melee in your setting (last picture, on the lowest bridge touching the finger).

Oh, yes, IDJ jewelry replaced it, no charge, many moons ago.

Thanks, Chrono. :wavey:

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great color! Almost looks like a tsav to me. I love that twisted shank with the double claw prongs. :appl:

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also love Ilander's setting!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's great. I wasn't sure how old the picture is, so I wondered whether you've already addressed it.

S

SparkliesLuver

iLander said:
I'm sure this is no help at all, but here's a variation on a split shank with a square stone. I got this setting from ID Jewelry.
iLander, I've loved your ring since you posted it. :) It's so pretty and very well done. I'm glad you stopped in to share! May I ask your finger size? Also, would you change anything about the setting since you've had it for a bit now? I remember you mentioning in the thread that you wear it out to the occasional dinner. Do you wear it more often or is that still about right?

derbygal said:
What a great color! Almost looks like a tsav to me. I love that twisted shank with the double claw prongs. :appl:

Thank you, derbygal. It definitely does come across that way in certain lighting conditions. I appreciate your thoughts! :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It also just came to mind that if you have a high crown, as some lapidaries like to make, you really need the prongs to come up higher, as in this ring, for optimal safety. I just wanted to point that out. I like the fact you want to also use double claw prongs, as that will help with added safety and avoiding potential loss of the gem.

ring_side_7.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Thanks for the tip, TL! I'll be sure to write that down on my "setting list" of things not to forget. :) (I'm being serious, by the way).

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You said no diamonds but the pics (except one) all have diamonds. I wonder what all of these twists would look like sans diamonds? There has to be some more pics of plain settings -with twists and split shanks without the diamonds so you can really see what you are thinking about getting. Maybe look in the diamond ring engagement forum to see what some solitaires look like.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results