shape
carat
color
clarity

Rare 20% off site-wide at PP thru 1159p 10/31

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
In my experience with my purchases, my metallic freshwater pearls can be quite off-round. My AAA non-metallic freshwater pearls are pretty round. Not perfect, but quite round.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bsomlo|1416149416|3784621 said:
In my experience with my purchases, my metallic freshwater pearls can be quite off-round. My AAA non-metallic freshwater pearls are pretty round. Not perfect, but quite round.

That's good to know. I've only bought metallics. They remind me of dinosaur eggs. I love them (and honestly it was you who educated me on what to expect), but I can see how it would lead people to be disappointed if they didn't know.

I've often wondered if it would be worth it to spend the extra on freshadamas if I wanted some larger sized ropes or a nice triple strand, or if the AAA's would be an ok route. Is your rope an AAA?

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I don't own any freshadama.

Here are a couple of my AAA freshwaters (non-metallic). Looking at them critically, they are definitely not perfectly round and there are plenty of off-rounds. But they are round enough for me and I love that they're pure nacre.

lavender:

Here is a portion of my AAA 144" white freshwater rope (silver/rose overtone). They're reflecting the red I'm wearing:

overview_0.jpg

overview_4.jpg

overview_5.jpg

overview_6.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Shots on the neck:

neck_shot_26.jpg

ear_shot_1_1.jpg

pp_75_inch_rope_0.jpg

pp_rope_over_paisley.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bsomlo - I love all your pearl photos! You are the Pearly Queen!

My new freshwaters look like yours in terms of shape. As I said before, I think I've just been spoiled by looking at the marvelous fat roundness of my 9.5mm Freshadama studs all summer!

cmd - yes, I agree about the off-roundness of the PP goods, looking at my new things. I think to some degree it depends on what your eye is used to seeing - in my case, very round studs.

bsomlo, I love your lavender triple and your white metallic triple. They are TDF!!

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to post some photos of my new things.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014|1416146903|3784603 said:
Sarahb,

Here's a neck shot of the Akoyas. You can see how they end up looking white. If you want more pink/lavender pearls, you'd be better to go with coloured freshwaters.

cmd,This picture they really do look more white vs. your other photo they look so pink, so pretty, I love that about pearls!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
There are exceptions, of course.

This single strand of metallic multi-color from POJ blew my socks off. They're pretty round and gorgeous, but unusually round given what I've seen of metallics:

single_multi-metallic_overview.jpg

single_multi-metallic.jpg

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
baby nurse I love this strand and have seen your thread about it. Is your lavender metallic strand freshadama grade? I would expect that freshadamas metallics would be considered true round in this grade.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Frost Me|1416154080|3784654 said:
cmd2014|1416146903|3784603 said:
Sarahb,

Here's a neck shot of the Akoyas. You can see how they end up looking white. If you want more pink/lavender pearls, you'd be better to go with coloured freshwaters.

cmd,This picture they really do look more white vs. your other photo they look so pink, so pretty, I love that about pearls!

I know! It's both what makes them gorgeous AND frustrating, because how they look is so dependent on the lighting they are seen in.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bsomlo|1416154271|3784657 said:
There are exceptions, of course.

This single strand of metallic multi-color from POJ blew my socks off. They're pretty round and gorgeous, but unusually round given what I've seen of metallics:

Those are fantastic! I know the fancy coloured lavender ones I recently ordered from POJ are quite off-round, but more than made up for it I hope by their unusual colour. I can't wait to see them! I'm kicking myself for becoming frugal and shipping ground...but I just found out that Fedex taps on a $10 border fee on top of taxes and duty. Boo! USPS does not.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My metallic freshadama quality lavender pearls from PP are very round. The necklace and bracelet are metallic freshadama, but I already owned the freshadama earrings. I decided that the color and shine was close enough that I didn't need another pair of lavender earrings.

I also recently purchased a white with ivory overtones freshadama necklace, bracelet and earrings for my new DIL. They are beautiful and round and the overtones are lovely, but as others have indicated, they do not have akoya luster. They also do not have akoya prices, and they will never wear out. I think they are a beautiful value. :naughty:

I also purchased matching freshwater pearls for drop earrings. They, of course, are not round, but are perfectly matched by Hisano at PP. :bigsmile:

If you are looking for round freshwaters I suggest freshadamas. If you want more luster, you should look for metallic freshadama. PP has a few graduated colored strands of metallic freshadama, but these will be quite rare and exceptional pearls.

pp2_1.jpg

wedding_9263.jpg

wedding_pearls_9409.jpg

weddingpp_9260.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the set you bought for your DIL. I wish my mum-in-law loved me so much! (I'm kidding, she's great....and I have a lovely collection of Denby from her, as that's what I was into when DH and I got married).

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting these lovely pearls! Love the lavenders!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I was rooting around in a drawer for something, and was reminded that when I want "perfect" pearls, I usually grab the faux. Glass pearls can have a nice feel and weight, and are perfectly round and perfectly matched. I think if I mixed the real and the fake in a pile, I'm not sure anyone could tell the difference without the tooth test.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ennui - I was on a train and the girl next to me had such beautiful pearl studs. I complimented them and she said thanks, they're fake from Target! But they looked lovely.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bsomlo and Flygirl, thanks so much for posting your amazing pearls! So beautiful.

I hope to get round to posting my PP stuff this week.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results