shape
carat
color
clarity

Do friends or family ask to try on your e-ring?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have one family member and also one friend that always asks to try on my e-ring. I let them because I don't see them that often, and like to see what my ring looks like on other people's hands. Both of these lades keep it on for as long as 10 minutes, while the ooh and ah and pose with the ring on their hands. Do you mind other people try on your e-ring, and if not, what are your reasons?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1416253256|3785285 said:
I have one family member and also one friend that always asks to try on my e-ring. I let them because I don't see them that often, and like to see what my ring looks like on other people's hands. Both of these lades keep it on for as long as 10 minutes, while the ooh and ah and pose with the ring on their hands. Do you mind other people try on your e-ring, and if not, what are your reasons?
Nahhh, I wouldn't mind if they are my friends or family members, but if she was a stranger she better be good looking... :naughty:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My niece takes my ring the second I walk in the door. I don't mind at all, it actually makes me smile! Since she seems to love it the most it will one day be hers.

A close friend of mine and a co-worker also used to try one of my rings on often. I would give mine to my co-worker to wear when she was having a bad day. She later told me she used fake having bad days so she could wear the ring. It never bothered me in the least.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My daughter (she's 18) loves to try my rings on. She is super careful and respectful of my jewellery so I don't have a problem at all. I would let my friends try them if they wanted to but I would keep a good eye on them!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
They might ask, but I don't let them. Other people are not as careful as I am with my items, and I have zero tolerance for that. I will not risk anyone else dropping anything, hitting my pieces on anything, off another piece, or touching the stone directly with their fingers.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My close friends and I always try on each other's new jewelry. It's fun. I wouldn't ask to try on items again unless I was really interested in the design or wanted a similar style.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
It doesn't bother me, but DH is really against it. He thinks my ring is for my finger only. So, I've never let anyone else try it on.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think I would know to say no politely if I didn't want anyone to try my rings on. What would other ps'ers say?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1416256541|3785332 said:
I don't think I would know to say no politely if I didn't want anyone to try my rings on. What would other ps'ers say?
I've heard people say it's bad luck to have someone try on your e-ring, so you could say that.

I personally wouldn't mind. I don't think I've ever asked to try ON someones jewelery, but I have asked them to take it off so I could see it more closely!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one has ever asked! I have TINY fingers and the ring isn't exactly bling bling either so no one has ever wanted to try it on... :lol: I would be ok with family & close friends though but no one else.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think one or two people have asked and I let them but only in a home, or place I feel safe, and over a soft floor like carpet in case they drop it.

Why would I let them try it on?
Only when you are wearing/holding a diamond can you really see, analyze, fully experience its magic.

It's nice to share, to let other people experience cool things.
It is educational, and uniquely educational in that there are so few well-cut diamonds out there.
How often do people run into an ACA, Solasfera or Octavia?

If people think I'm bragging or showing off that's on them and if I sense that I'd probably keep it on my finger and let that topic of discussion die off.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am fine with people I know trying on my ring. However my girlfriend, whom I love dearly, dropped my ring the very first time she asked to look at it and try it on. I was very calm though and inspected with my loupe and all was fine. She was mortified lol and I totally forgave her. I am pretty clumsy myself so lesson learned. After that only in a safe place and soft carpeting!

I take it as a compliment when people want to try on my ring.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never, ever. If a friend of family member did ask, of course I would let them though. I have no qualms about it, and it means nothing bad to me. I have often cleaned other people's rings for them though. Maybe that's rude of me? No one ever turns me down. My MIL used to almost expect it. Sadly, we moved across the country, so I am no longer her jewelry handler. :((

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't recall anyone ever asking. My ring isn't particularly interesting or different. It's just a ring so if they did I think I'd let them.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Only people I, a) know very well, and, b) who are fellow diamond nuts. I had a similar experience to Missy - when I first got engaged, a jeweler friend let me bring some rings home to show my fiancé. My roommate wanted to look at one: it shot out of her hands, bounced off the radiator, and skidded across the floor. My heart almost stopped. Thankfully, the diamond was fine, buuuuuut ... never again!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nobody's ever asked, but I'd let them if they did.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, sometimes friends or family ask to try on my ring. I am comfortable letting them try it on for a few minutes. However, I get uncomfortable if they have it on for more than a few minutes and I ask for it back.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's important to mention the following on such a thread.

I read, I'm pretty sure it was here on PS, that one person handed their diamond ring to another person to try on.
The recepient KEPT the ring.
The giver called the police but they couldn't do anything because the ring-owner voluntarily, no threat or gun involved, offered the ring.

Does anyone else recall that thread, or can locate it?

I think the point is, only hand it over to a person you trust and know well.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
A few friends have asked & I let them. Missy's right, it's flattering when they ask. It has to be in a place where no damage would happen if they dropped it, but it's nice to let people see it close up. Especially since one of mine is a blue spinel -- good education for them to get a gander of a not-sapphire. Always hope to motivate another jewel freak!

--- Laurie

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Not anymore. I had a friend try mine on while we were sitting at an outdoor cafe once and she proceeded to shake her hand to see if it was too big and fly off of her finger! :-o Luckily, it didn't, and I gave her a stern talking it, but I've never let anyone try it on since. I mean, seriously, who does that? We were outside, on the sidewalk. It could have flown anywhere!!!! I have never been so pissed. :angryfire:

Oh, and we're not really "friends" anymore, either.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they are close friends and family, no I do not mind; peeps I do not know well, yes.

DK :))

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1416259961|3785360 said:
I think one or two people have asked and I let them but only in a home, or place I feel safe, and over a soft floor like carpet in case they drop it.

Why would I let them try it on?
Only when you are wearing/holding a diamond can you really see, analyze, fully experience its magic.

It's nice to share, to let other people experience cool things.
It is educational, and uniquely educational in that there are so few well-cut diamonds out there.
How often do people run into an ACA, Solasfera or Octavia?

If people think I'm bragging or showing off that's on them and if I sense that I'd probably keep it on my finger and let that topic of discussion die off.

Hi Kenny :wavey: :wavey:

Thread jacking just for one moment... i am hoping that i get to try the O on in a few months... I am going to put a thread up after thanksgiving... but keep Jan 7th free!!!! :Up_to_something:

As for the trying on e ring/ other rings... i have only have had work, close friends and family members ask. if friends ask if that is a new ring, i will take ring off and let them play. of course at PSGTG, i would trust them to look after the ring and it free for all to look.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My watch more than my rings. But I would oblige regardless.

Don't PS'ers try on OPrings at the GTG's? Group ring shots are de rigueur!

cheers--Sharon

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sister always wants to see new rings but never tries them on. I have a friend that always wants to try on my rings but no one else pays much attention. If I am close to the person I don't mind.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
My ering is size 4.75 and no one I know personally would be able to get if on or off their finger. Even my DD 's ring size is a 6 so she has never tried it on. So people may ask and when I tell them my ring size they usually back off.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soocool|1416276626|3785512 said:
My ering is size 4.75 and no one I know personally would be able to get if on or off their finger. Even my DD 's ring size is a 6 so she has never tried it on. So people may ask and when I tell them my ring size they usually back off.
perfect for my picky!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one has ever asked me ... perhaps they don't like pears? :confused:

I did offer to loan the smaller of my bracelets to a neighbor, but her wrist was too large.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have done so at PS GTG because I trust the few attending and know that they will treat my items with care. They also extended me the same trust which I appreciate. And yes, I tried on Kenny's rings! Too bad I couldn't sneak off with his gorgeous Octavia though. :devil:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mostly no, but if they do and I know them well I take them off and let them try them on. Most people who have tried them on have larger fingers than I do.....

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit|1416269441|3785446 said:
Not anymore. I had a friend try mine on while we were sitting at an outdoor cafe once and she proceeded to shake her hand to see if it was too big and fly off of her finger! :-o Luckily, it didn't, and I gave her a stern talking it, but I've never let anyone try it on since. I mean, seriously, who does that? We were outside, on the sidewalk. It could have flown anywhere!!!! I have never been so pissed. :angryfire:

Oh, and we're not really "friends" anymore, either.
This is precisely why I don't let anyone touch my things. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results