shape
carat
color
clarity

1.7 Brian Gavin vs 1.4 Cartier

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is what one of our customers did, a number of years ago.

He contacted Cartier-Paris directly, saying that he wanted a real Cartier-ring, but with his own center-diamond. He added all the data (AGS-report, plus pics) of the stone he bought from us, and dared Cartier to check if the diamond fitted their quality-levels.

They had to agree that the stone was definitely Cartier-worthy, and accepted to set it, delivered the ring with full Cartier-pedigree.

I would guess that the BGD-stone also passes Cartier-assessment.

Advantage in our case however was that our customer lived in Brussels, and all shipments stayed within the European Union.

Live long,

jmenzies

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies!!!

Re the last post - Cartier won't do this any more. They will only contemplate setting a Cartier diamond. I did try this route and got as far as having a diamond sent to Paris. They confirmed it was Cartier grade, but eventually the Paris branch said they wouldn't set it.

There is certainly something about the legacy of Cartier, it would become something special that is passed down the generations with all the fancy-presented documents they give you. However I resent the idea of paying them a premium for a diamond that is essentially nothing special compared to a Brian Gavin diamond.

One poster talked about the ring setting and balance. My plan was to get a custom made BG ring (provide them with detailed pictures of what I want). My question to you is - do you think the setting would be notably inferior and should I have the ring made by someone else?

p.s. I really like the idea of a BG diamond with a cartier watch. Although that would mean, to save enough for the watch (or other item) I would need to go for a smaller BG diamond.... which kinda defeats the purpose...

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would go for the BGD stone - you'll have perfect light performance & a larger stone. I'm sorry that Cartier won't set a BGD diamond for you, but I wouldn't go so far as to think that a non-Cartier setting would be inferior. In addition to BGD settings, you could reach out to Victor Canera, Leon Mege, and Steven Kirsch about doing a custom ring for you. I would much rather have a custom design than one that had been mass produced any day, notwithstanding the brand name attached. If you have a sense of what style setting you would like, take some time to search for examples of their finished pieces here to help you narrow it down.

Understanding that she is into brands, you could save a brand purchase for an anniversary, which would allow you time to save for it.

In any case, with as much time and effort you are putting into your decision and with as much as you are trying to create a ring that she will love, I have no doubt that it will turn out beautifully!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Do you think she may ever want to upgrade to a larger stone? If so, I'd go with BGD.

If not, I'd totally go with the Cartier, I adore that particular setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jmenzies|1416226497|3785038 said:

Re the last post - Cartier won't do this any more. They will only contemplate setting a Cartier diamond. I did try this route and got as far as having a diamond sent to Paris. They confirmed it was Cartier grade, but eventually the Paris branch said they wouldn't set it.

There is certainly something about the legacy of Cartier, it would become something special that is passed down the generations with all the fancy-presented documents they give you. However I resent the idea of paying them a premium for a diamond that is essentially nothing special compared to a Brian Gavin diamond.

One poster talked about the ring setting and balance. My plan was to get a custom made BG ring (provide them with detailed pictures of what I want). My question to you is - do you think the setting would be notably inferior and should I have the ring made by someone else?

p.s. I really like the idea of a BG diamond with a cartier watch. Although that would mean, to save enough for the watch (or other item) I would need to go for a smaller BG diamond.... which kinda defeats the purpose...

I agree. I would simply not pay a huge premium for an inferior diamond. If the diamonds were equal, then sure, I'd love to have a Cartier if I could have the same size diamond. The Cartier setting is one of my favorites, but it is a simple, classic design and nothing unique at all!!! I'd personally rather have a similar handforged solitaire setting made by Victor Canera, but I think BG makes very nice settings as well.

The watch doesn't need to be now. Save that for your first anniversary or something. The ring is enough for now! BUT, after you propose, tell her you went for a higher quality diamond with custom made setting for her rather than branded, but you will take her to Cartier and Tiffany to try on wedding bands and let her choose her wedding band from one of those. Tiffany has perhaps the best selection of diamond wedding bands which is why I mention it.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1416240735|3785139 said:
jmenzies|1416226497|3785038 said:

I agree. I would simply not pay a huge premium for an inferior diamond. If the diamonds were equal, then sure, I'd love to have a Cartier if I could have the same size diamond. The Cartier setting is one of my favorites, but it is a simple, classic design and nothing unique at all!!! I'd personally rather have a similar handforged solitaire setting made by Victor Canera, but I think BG makes very nice settings as well.

The watch doesn't need to be now. Save that for your first anniversary or something. The ring is enough for now! BUT, after you propose, tell her you went for a higher quality diamond with custom made setting for her rather than branded, but you will take her to Cartier and Tiffany to try on wedding bands and let her choose her wedding band from one of those. Tiffany has perhaps the best selection of diamond wedding bands which is why I mention it.

+2, 3, 4 & 5

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look I appreciate that everyone is saying that THEY would prefer the larger BGD.

None of you are the OPs lady.

I advise, AGAIN, to ask her what HER preference is. As none of OUR preferences mean a thing. HERS is the only opinion that matters. So find out what SHE WOULD PREFER DIRECTLY.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, that's what I said. But I am not someone who is a fan of surprise rings. You can still surprise propose, just include the intended on the ring.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1416246598|3785199 said:
Look I appreciate that everyone is saying that THEY would prefer the larger BGD.

None of you are the OPs lady.

I advise, AGAIN, to ask her what HER preference is. As none of OUR preferences mean a thing. HERS is the only opinion that matters. So find out what SHE WOULD PREFER DIRECTLY.

I replied to this thread and, yes, I replied as if this were a choice that affected me.

Reading Gypsy's response I have to agree with the truths in her post.

I know of women who were thrilled to be engaged, but less than thrilled with their engagement ring. These women then had the unfortunate and delicate decision to make- suck it up and keep the original ring or risk upsetting the new fiancé when she explains that she wants something different and then how can the current ring can be returned/sold and then go through the task of obtaining a new ring. A simple conversation can bypass all of the stress that the OP's lady and the OP might feel if the ring is "not" what she wants.

Before I was engaged, hubby and I had several conversations about what type of rings I liked, what size center stone, etc... I was still surprised when he popped the question and I did receive a ring that I wanted.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also agree with the others only YOU know how brand orientated your lady is, and what she would prefer. I still vote for the larger stone. And if it's any help my settings made by Victor Canera are nicer and better made than anything in Tiffanys.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results