shape
carat
color
clarity

Trying to match earrings to strand

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have been struggling with this selection for the last 24 hours. I need your help! I am trying to figure out a good earring match for a strand of Tahitians from PP.

The problem is I'm not sure if either pair --individually-- match its mate, or does it match? Am I misinterpreting the photos?

Should I ask for additional choices or punt & wait until more choices arrive? I'm going around in circles here, ANY input is welcomed!

Thank you all in advance! :wavey:

_24200.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As to the top pair, the pearl on the right seems darker in color and maybe fuller/larger in shape? Though the apparent size difference may be an artifact of photography, the color mis-match would bother me.

Though not perfectly matched, the bottom pair to my eye seems a better match overall, in terms of shape and color, and a good match to your strand. Since they are earrings, the very slight shape and color difference would be acceptable, and I think they'd be pretty on the ear.

However, if neither pair seem right to you, I'd suggest waiting a bit and seeing if PP can match up more options for you.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe both pairs would be a good match to the necklace.

However, I am not a fan of wearing jewellery that match, pearls or otherwise, and prefer the mix and match approach myself as it is more fun and gives me the excuse to add more items to my jewellery box, not that I need any excuse to do so.

DK :))

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Top pair would bother me as they don't appear well matched between the two pearls. I like the bottom pair, both for matching each other and the necklace; nice luster and color. Nothing wrong with waiting or asking for more options either, especially if you're not sure. Or, asking to see the pearls unset to compare, although that does mean extra shipping costs back and forth.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I think the pairs match each other. As discussed in another topic, Tahitians show different colors depending on the quality of the light and photographs don't do them justice. We sort of have to trust the eyes of the person who does the matching.

Both pairs appear to be nicely matched for shape and size, as well.

The top pair appear slightly darker, but I like that drop shape. The bottom pair appear more silvery.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Baroque Tahitians can't really be a perfect match. I think both pairs are good matches and far better matched than my pair, which were removed from my Tahitian necklace to make "matching" drops. They are cute as a button but not perfectly matched by any means:

And remember, they are not next to each other since they hang many inches apart on both ears:

The fact that my pair have different shapes doesn't both me a bit.

But YOU have to be happy. If these don't please you, keep looking!

tahitians_drop_pearls_for_0.jpg

pp_tahitians_set_with_red_top_0.jpg

pp_tahitian_set_with_red_top.jpg

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond, sometimes it feels like a vacuum as I try to make decisions like this as hubby is absolutely oblivious to this type of thing. (Bless his sweet heart though.). To have your opinions provides needed input, & different approaches to the issue at hand, thank you! :wavey:

I love the drop shape of the pair on top, & the difference in color is growing on me, ie becoming more acceptable. But one is darker. The bottom pair is more silver, & is rather close in color to a few other earrings I have.

Thank you for posting your pics bsomlo, it helped greatly. Ennui, thank you for reminding me about how difficult it is to accurately capture the true Tahitian color in photography. I do like my earrings to compliment whatever necklace I am wearing. Shoes & purse must match etc, that's just the way its been for me. I admire those who are more fashion forward than I & are able to make an outfit work no matter the components!

When comes down to what I like best of all----its the shape of the top pair. Thank you ladies for your help! :appl:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I like the top pair. People in general are more pickey about earrings matching than the necklace it seems. PP buys earring grade pearls and it shows. If these were mine I'd ask for their help, if I didn't like them, I'd ask for more to choose from.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
sarahb|1416077022|3784206 said:
I love the drop shape of the pair on top, & the difference in color is growing on me, ie becoming more acceptable. But one is darker. ..snip..
Ennui, thank you for reminding me about how difficult it is to accurately capture the true Tahitian color in photography. I do like my earrings to compliment whatever necklace I am wearing. Shoes & purse must match etc, that's just the way its been for me.

On my monitor, the top pair look very close ... did you ask PP to clarify that one is darker? I agree with NacreLover, ask for more choices.
I'm very casual, and if my shoes match my purse, it's either an accident or a job interview. Take my opinion with a grain of sand. :lol:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the top pair better. The shape, color and size all seem to suit the strand better.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I like that plump, dark top pair, especially since you say you already have others that are more like the bottom pair. I magnified the images and I don't see how the top pair is very mismatched at all. With the bottom pair, the left one looks more silver and the right one more green, so they're not perfectly matched, either. I agree that it's quite reasonable for baroque Tahitians to not be identical twins. However, I think either pair matches that strand. It has various shapes, sizes and colors so there's plenty of leeway. :)

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree, the top pair does have more interest visually. This Tahitain strand is a first for me, then couple that with the fact that I am not experienced with 'reading' then projecting how a photo of a pearl manifests IRL. Thank you for your input everyone, I think the top pair is the winner! I just love that shape! :love:

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
When I enlarged the photo in Photoshop, I like the top pair way better too ... and you provided your own answer "I just love that shape!" ? Isn't it great to be able to talk through your decision here with pearl lovers willing to listen ? Can't wait to see your earrings, along with that lovely strand of drops :)

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
I like the top pair better, too! I also like the bottom pair, though. Both very nice. But the top pair looks brighter, and it has a nicer shape. It will also look nicer if you ever wear them without the strand. If the two have slightly different colours it won't matter in practice, your face will be in between.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
sarahb Congratulations on your first tahitian strand lovely, it looks like a rope 35" ? I have enlarged the picture a bit, hope you don't mind. I do see color differences, but not a lot. Both shapes and colors would work for me. Luster and surface quality are my first priority, and with these being earrings it appears this has been achieved. I would ask for a few other examples if you are not in-love!

_24200_1.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I really like the shapes of the top pair. The colors of either pair will work with the necklace. If the silvery pair is similar to other earrings you have, that's another reason to go with the darker top pair. The necklace is gorgeous -- enjoy your new set!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Photo is a bit small to judge well..but I like the top pair as well. The shape is nicely matched (from what I can see) and the colour looks good.

Either pair would probably work given the colours in the necklace. And remember that they are not right next to the necklace and if they are a bit different it really doesn't matter it's all going to blend together. I'm sure that they have already matched them both .. it's more whether you want light or dark.

Lovely pearls !

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Sarahb - What a wonderful dilemma! That's a gorgeous strand & I think you should get the bottom pair you love!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results