shape
carat
color
clarity

Chrome Russian Sphene...

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
A few weeks or so ago Brad from The Gem Trader listed a green Russian sphene on his ebay page. If I remember correctly, it was 0.16ct and $125. I wanted it but I did not have the money (alas, young and so poor). I bet a PSer would understand, am I right? I seriously wanted this tiny little thing. Brad told me this one was one of the larger ones he's offered with this fine colouration and that he's only had 5 or 6 in the past 10 years. One day....

It's hard to find much info about these. Anyone have something to add? Photos to show? The find was probably quite limited.

Why oh why couldn't the Ural mountains be mine? :devil:

screenshot_2014-08-17-16-59-12.png

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect you meant to ask this question in the colored stones forum? Just hit the "report concern" button and ask the admins to move the thread.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Oops, sorry. :oops:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
You have definitely driven me crazy already. Oh man. Yes I have a loupetroop account (http://loupetroop.com/users/lkites) but I haven't made any listings, so I dunno if there is still a messaging option. Besides, I don't have the money. I really appreciate your offer. :) Hopefully one day.

Marlow said:
**edited by moderator, we don't allow selling on Pricescope**

These are so stunning. Thanks for all the links.

Is it ok to ask for photos of your sphene? :halo:

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the info Marlow;

I have been cutting some Chromium containing Sphene from Tanzania I got 3 years ago; but not the fine chromium green color like the Russian Material...

I find it amazing all the gems that have chromium that the labs do not tell you they have it in them when you get reports; even prestige unless you request it ??? You would think that would be an important aspect to the make-up on the gem mineral :confused:

It is so neat to see all the wonderful gems everyone collects on here :)

Most Respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified
Supreme Master Gem Cutter
#96CGE42

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
A reminder, no offers to buy or sell allowed on the forums other than in Preloved.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I understand!

Unfortunately you deleted my gemological infos too.

There are two locations for chrome titanite and one for vanadium titanite.

Vanadium titanite was found and cut from a vanadium ore mine in Quebec, Canada - the largest was a cushion with only 0,54 ct.
Deep green.

Chrome titanite is found in a famous chrome ore mine in Sarany, Russia - together with these wellknown drusy Uvarovite specimen.
Was a little pocket - Gems till one carat - but long and slim baguettes - the largest rounds were around 0,5-0,6 ct. Most only melee.
Chrome content 0,5-0,6 %.

The second location is in Mexico, Baja California with a chrome content of 0,38% as I remember. Mostly included and very small.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Marlow|1415943849|3783219 said:
I understand!

Unfortunately you deleted my gemological infos too.

There are two locations for chrome titanite and one for vanadium titanite.

Vanadium titanite was found and cut from a vanadium ore mine in Quebec, Canada - the largest was a cushion with only 0,54 ct.
Deep green.

Chrome titanite is found in a famous chrome ore mine in Sarany, Russia - together with these wellknown drusy Uvarovite specimen.
Was a little pocket - Gems till one carat - but long and slim baguettes - the largest rounds were around 0,5-0,6 ct. Most only melee.
Chrome content 0,5-0,6 %.

The second location is in Mexico, Baja California with a chrome content of 0,38% as I remember. Mostly included and very small.

Sorry you got in trouble!

So the difference between vanadium and chrome titanite is what gives the titanite it's colour (vanadium or chromium) and not the colour it gets, which is green. Is that right?

Eta: For those that are interested, a picture of one of the sphenes from a link that Ella deleted (I hope it is ok to just post the pic).

chromesphene_500x500.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, in these vanadium titanite is only a minimal amount of chrome!

But both are deep green - and the vanadium is extremely rare! Not in the trade!!

The problem is that it is a mine for vanadium ore - not a gem mine.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Marlow|1415970531|3783343 said:
Yes, in these vanadium titanite is only a minimal amount of chrome!

But both are deep green - and the vanadium is extremely rare! Not in the trade!!

The problem is that it is a mine for vanadium ore - not a gem mine.

Interesting, thanks. So the vanadium type is almost a fluke in nature.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes - an extremely rare combination. The article is from 1997. There are five gems - 3 are in the Canadian Gem collection of the National Museum. The location is Chibougamau, Quebec.

I will ask somewhere else whether new informations?

Madagascar and swiss titanite have also a bit chrome and iron ( around 0,21 % and 0,16 %).

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Marlow|1415988078|3783544 said:
Yes - an extremely rare combination. The article is from 1997. There are five gems - 3 are in the Canadian Gem collection of the National Museum. The location is Chibougamau, Quebec.

I will ask somewhere else whether new informations?

Madagascar and swiss titanite have also a bit chrome and iron ( around 0,21 % and 0,16 %).

Five gems?!? Just five? Do you mean 5 were mined? Wow.
Yeah, if you find out new information do post it please.
Is this article online?

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yes Marlow; the Tanzanian material is minimal chromium but enough to show strong absorption in the peak of 520nm on my digital spectroscope. Along with some other fine elemental readings.
But the saturation in color is just not there as it is in the Russian material. I have cut the Mexican/Baja California material very small but still to me does not rival the Russian material in intensity. Plus most of the Baja material was very included and did not give back what the properties of the gem is known for from being with such a fine RI...

It to me is similar to chrome tourmaline; the more chromium it has the darker/saturated it is and does not yield a optically superior gem as the chromium just overpowers the gem and makes it too dark... I know I sent some rough and cut stones to 2 very well known labs as the chromium content was so high it would show blood red on B axis and fine intense chromium green on the A axis. I just knew it was a phenomenal gem mineral but when the reports came back they just said chromium present??? Like duh...

Oh well I think sometimes I get too in depth in the elemental make-up on some of these lovely creations...

But it is nice to see others love of the unusual.

Most respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified
Supreme Master Gem Cutter
#96CGE42

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Usambara effect!!! I love it!!!

www.rarestone.com offer one chrome tourmaline which is red in the middle!!

Werner Radl ( Mawingu Gems) - specialized in tanzania and kenia material - offered thin sliced and asked Uli whether he could cut a extremely dark piece - to dark!

As I remember the Sarany material was a found in spring 2003 in larger crystals - otherwise only 2mm.

There is a very good article in LAPIS October 2006 - if I find another one I send it to you. It is about Uvarovite and Titanite from Sarany.
( Lapis is a german mineral magazin with some english specials - try to get Garnet, Emerald etc.)

www.lapis.de

liao

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1415997075|3783680 said:
Usambara effect!!! I love it!!!

www.rarestone.com offer one chrome tourmaline which is red in the middle!!

Werner Radl ( Mawingu Gems) - specialized in tanzania and kenia material - offered thin sliced and asked Uli whether he could cut a extremely dark piece - to dark!

As I remember the Sarany material was a found in spring 2003 in larger crystals - otherwise only 2mm.

There is a very good article in LAPIS October 2006 - if I find another one I send it to you. It is about Uvarovite and Titanite from Sarany.
( Lapis is a german mineral magazin with some english specials - try to get Garnet, Emerald etc.)

www.lapis.de

which chrome tourmaline are you talking about?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the chrome show up with a chelsea filter Marlow? I have a very green sphene, and I would like to check.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
This would be another fantastic gem material...

Only fom Canada - together with chrome vesuviane...

http://quebulfineminerals.com/en/minerals/item/9031

Mangano-vesuviane!!!!! Isn't it a beautiful color !!!????? :love:

But to small and only one location - but some were cut!

You know yellow to brown and green african vesuviane - idokrase is another name.

Thegemtrader offer a blue variety - cyprine colored by copper!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Marlow|1415998763|3783700 said:
This would be another fantastic gem material...

Only fom Canada - together with chrome vesuviane...

http://quebulfineminerals.com/en/minerals/item/9031

Mangano-vesuviane!!!!! Isn't it a beautiful color !!!????? :love:

But to small and only one location - but some were cut!

You know yellow to brown and green african vesuviane - idokrase is another name.

Thegemtrader offer a blue variety - cyprine colored by copper!

I had no idea that idocrase was vesuvanite. I don't know much about vesuvanite but these pics are enough to make me love it ;))

2997_big_img.jpg

2999_big_img.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1415998458|3783698 said:
Does the chrome show up with a chelsea filter Marlow? I have a very green sphene, and I would like to check.

No - a weak reaction - my olivegreen pakistan and the yellow to brown turn red ( Iron) - the chrome is not inert but muddy greenishbrown.

Chelsea filter - a long story...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1415999383|3783705 said:
TL|1415998458|3783698 said:

No - a weak reaction - my olivegreen pakistan and the yellow to brown turn red ( Iron) - the chrome is not inert but muddy greenishbrown.

Chelsea filter - a long story...

Thanks Marlow :bigsmile:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Marlow|1416035686|3783964 said:
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?blobcol=gfile&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobheadername1=Content-Disposition&blobheadername2=MDT-Type&blobheadername3=Content-Type&blobheadervalue1=attachment%3B+filename%3DGG-Gem-News-International&blobheadervalue2=abinary%3B+charset%3DUTF-8&blobheadervalue3=application%2Funknown&blobkey=id&blobtable=GIA_DocumentFile&blobwhere=1355958114096&ssbinary=true

On page 327 is vanadium bearing CC sphene from Pakistan described - with a much lower V content than the canadian variety - interesting to .....Chelsea filter rd - no chrome!!!!

Need one! But I noticed that this color is often sold as "chrome" titanite..

Thanks. Though they're not the same quality as the Russian material, they're still very nice. Are the Canadian vanadium sphenes comparable to the Russian stuff, colour wise?

Btw, the inclusion pics are so pretty.
And these spinels...

screenshot__8__cropped.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results