shape
carat
color
clarity

Reconsidering a future purchase

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Have you ever reconsidered making a diamond purchase because of limited budget or simply because of the price of diamonds?

A few weeks ago DH told me to and get myself a new pair of diamond studs since he knows that I do not wear my diamond huggies often simply because they are a pain to get through the holes. He did not give me a budget so I thought I would limit it to $2000. I was looking for a platinum bezel set with a min .8 tct. (Would prefer 1.0 tct). Then my laptop crashed and died. Thought I would have to spend the money on a new laptop. Then DH got a new laptop for work and I got his old one which is only 2 yrs old this weekend.

The truth is I can afford a new laptop and earrings even larger than the 1.0 tct that I am seeking. I finally realized that it is not the money itself, but what I am willing to pay for the item. I have made a number of diamond purchases in the past and felt comfortable making those purchases, but after seeing the price of diamonds I have decided that I am not willing to pay those prices. So I actually saw a pair of Swarovski crystal studs that I really like and the price tag does not make me think once or twice about the purchase.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
are we related?!
I feel the same way: despite being able to afford more/better pearls, color stones, etc. I just gag on the prices.
my motto is as long as I don't feel like i'm settling for less......
and in this instance you've described? oh, hell yes, i'd make the same decision and never look back.
again, are we related?! :lol:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Heheheh - story of my life, which is why I tend to stick to the vintage/pre-loved market.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I first bought a 1ct diamond it cost me $4000. For the equivalent diamond today it would be closer to $7000. We can afford that but I don't want to spend it. There are (in my opinion) more beautiful old cuts that cost a lot less. I would much rather spend my money on one of those.

I do want a diamond band but I keep talking myself out of it. I'm not sure if its the money or that I'm starting to wonder if I really need more jewellery. I've been away from PS for too long! :lol:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Hey, costume jewelry was good enough for P. Diana & she always looked fantastic. Get the crystal ones & if you decide later to buy something with diamonds that grabs your heart, you won't need to feel guilty! Perfecto.

--- Laurie

soocool

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie - maybe we are related somehow. I just met someone who turned out to be a distant cousin from a FB yardsale listing. She saw a photo I had on my entry table and said it looked like one of her relatives and when we compared notes we found that we are related. Just introduced her family to the rest of mine a few weeks ago at our firepit party (we roast stuff over the firepit and drink until the fire eventually fizzles out or we fizzle out first)

Circe - I think I may visit the Pre-Loved forum more often. Never know what may pop up.

Maisie - I had diamond studs pre-PS and ended up giving them to my DD. Thought I might just reset them for myself, but I don't have the heart to ask her to give them back to me since she wears them a lot. She confiscated my BG huggies (the small ones) and when I noticed she was not wearing them she gave them back. I only let her wear them, I never gave them to her. Soon she will be earning enough to buy her own. I also have my grandmother's engagement ring from 1918 that has a .5ct diamond in it. I thought about using that diamond for an earring, but don't know where to begin to look for one to closely match it.

Jewel Freak - yes I saw the Swarovski large Harley studs at their mall store and I loved the way they looked and they were only around $50. Maybe I will just let DH get them for me for Christmas.

I do love my WF 2ct huggies, but they are such a pain to get through the earlobe holes. Sometimes they go in easily other times not so much. Studs are so much easier to pop in.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel the same way too. Plus, I have so much jewelry, I always think I really don't need another thing.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
soocool|1415649878|3780775 said:
movie zombie - maybe we are related somehow. I just met someone who turned out to be a distant cousin from a FB yardsale listing. She saw a photo I had on my entry table and said it looked like one of her relatives and when we compared notes we found that we are related. Just introduced her family to the rest of mine a few weeks ago at our firepit party (we roast stuff over the firepit and drink until the fire eventually fizzles out or we fizzle out first)

Circe - I think I may visit the Pre-Loved forum more often. Never know what may pop up.

Maisie - I had diamond studs pre-PS and ended up giving them to my DD. Thought I might just reset them for myself, but I don't have the heart to ask her to give them back to me since she wears them a lot. She confiscated my BG huggies (the small ones) and when I noticed she was not wearing them she gave them back. I only let her wear them, I never gave them to her. Soon she will be earning enough to buy her own. I also have my grandmother's engagement ring from 1918 that has a .5ct diamond in it. I thought about using that diamond for an earring, but don't know where to begin to look for one to closely match it.

Jewel Freak - yes I saw the Swarovski large Harley studs at their mall store and I loved the way they looked and they were only around $50. Maybe I will just let DH get them for me for Christmas.

I do love my WF 2ct huggies, but they are such a pain to get through the earlobe holes. Sometimes they go in easily other times not so much. Studs are so much easier to pop in.

I've heard good things about Adam from Old World Diamonds. I bet he could match your diamond to make a pair. Worth reaching out to him? Look at me - only back for 5 minutes and i'm enabling already!!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Maisie|1415658746|3780863 said:
soocool|1415649878|3780775 said:

I've heard good things about Adam from Old World Diamonds. I bet he could match your diamond to make a pair. Worth reaching out to him? Look at me - only back for 5 minutes and i'm enabling already!!

Yep, now I am going to check them out... gee thanks! LOL

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl:

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Time and life change one's priorities. I think you can only do the consumer thing for so long before it becomes SSDD, or you find yourself bored because you've bought better stuff for less money in the past. Or, you finally have so much "good enough" stuff that you no longer feel compelled to upgrade it. There used to be some things that I just had to own. Like, I'd trade cars every 2-3 years because I wanted a new one, but now I am driving a 1996 and a 2006 and it would cost me at least $90,000 to replace them in kind with brand new ones now! I'd build a new desktop computer every year or two, but the last round, I bought a used HP Sandy Bridge i5 on ebay and a used Android tablet and I haven't bought a new computer since 2008. I don't feel compelled to build one because I no longer am a gamer, and also I have nobody to brag to or share my enthusiasm with in this small town.

For me, I think I was blessed to have I lived through the heyday of '80s-'90s catalog shopping, then the heyday of the outlet malls, then the startup of Internet diamond sales, etc., at a time when there were some massively good deals to be had. And when the vastness of the plentiful supply of high quality at affordable prices made me feel like a gleeful kid in a candy store. But then all of that started to change to cheap Chinese goods that pushed out the better-made and more unique items. and not only that, but one sees the same dam cheap stuff everywhere. I noted the other day that shopping used to be fun, and now it's nothing but a chore. I have better stuff parked in my storage unit than what's for sale in the stores. :roll:

soocool

Ideal_Rock
TC1987|1415731577|3781424 said:
Time and life change one's priorities. I think you can only do the consumer thing for so long before it becomes SSDD, or you find yourself bored because you've bought better stuff for less money in the past. Or, you finally have so much "good enough" stuff that you no longer feel compelled to upgrade it. There used to be some things that I just had to own. Like, I'd trade cars every 2-3 years because I wanted a new one, but now I am driving a 1996 and a 2006 and it would cost me at least $90,000 to replace them in kind with brand new ones now! I'd build a new desktop computer every year or two, but the last round, I bought a used HP Sandy Bridge i5 on ebay and a used Android tablet and I haven't bought a new computer since 2008. I don't feel compelled to build one because I no longer am a gamer, and also I have nobody to brag to or share my enthusiasm with in this small town.

For me, I think I was blessed to have I lived through the heyday of '80s-'90s catalog shopping, then the heyday of the outlet malls, then the startup of Internet diamond sales, etc., at a time when there were some massively good deals to be had. And when the vastness of the plentiful supply of high quality at affordable prices made me feel like a gleeful kid in a candy store. But then all of that started to change to cheap Chinese goods that pushed out the better-made and more unique items. and not only that, but one sees the same dam cheap stuff everywhere. I noted the other day that shopping used to be fun, and now it's nothing but a chore. I have better stuff parked in my storage unit than what's for sale in the stores. :roll:

Well said. I thoroughly agree. Yesterday I stopped by a local thrift store and a woman looking at the costume jewelry shrieked when she saw the prices they had listed. She said she threw out better junk that cost less money than what they want now. $20 for a noname beaded necklace. I looked at it and could not figure out why they want $20 for it. A few months ago none of their jewelry was priced more than a few bucks. They also wanted $15 for a worn scarf. I would have purchased it for $5 or less, but $15?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soocool|1415733298|3781440 said:

Well said. I thoroughly agree. Yesterday I stopped by a local thrift store and a woman looking at the costume jewelry shrieked when she saw the prices they had listed. She said she threw out better junk that cost less money than what they want now. $20 for a noname beaded necklace. I looked at it and could not figure out why they want $20 for it. A few months ago none of their jewelry was priced more than a few bucks. They also wanted $15 for a worn scarf. I would have purchased it for $5 or less, but $15?

I agree too. Money has less value these days. You need more money to purchase lower quality goods. And there comes a point when you just don't need/want another diamond or another luxury item.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1415734464|3781451 said:

I agree too. Money has less value these days. You need more money to purchase lower quality goods. And there comes a point when you just don't need/want another diamond or another luxury item.[/quote

I know my husband is anxiously waiting for the day I don't want another diamond! I keep telling him that day will probably never come.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake said:

I agree too. Money has less value these days. You need more money to purchase lower quality goods. And there comes a point when you just don't need/want another diamond or another luxury item.

I know my husband is anxiously waiting for the day I don't want another diamond! I keep telling him that day will probably never come.[/quote]

Haha, my dh feels the same way about all the exercise equipment I have been accumulating lol. We have a total of 3 treadmills, 3 arc trainers, 2 exercise bicycles (one recumbent, one regular) and now as you know a Pilates Reformer on the way. He doesn't mind me getting these things but we have run out of space for them and therein lies the dilemma. I think he longs for the day I wanted more diamonds vs big bulky machines haha.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
missy|1415788061|3781862 said:
Calliecake said:

I know my husband is anxiously waiting for the day I don't want another diamond! I keep telling him that day will probably never come.

Haha, my dh feels the same way about all the exercise equipment I have been accumulating lol. We have a total of 3 treadmills, 3 arc trainers, 2 exercise bicycles (one recumbent, one regular) and now as you know a Pilates Reformer on the way. He doesn't mind me getting these things but we have run out of space for them and therein lies the dilemma. I think he longs for the day I wanted more diamonds vs big bulky machines haha.[/quote]

My DH collect lawn equipment. Our shed could be a home to a small family. This year he acquired a new push mower and lawn vac/ shredder. Last year it was a new tractor, tiller, aerator, etc. We agreed , No more lawn equipment. Though I have to say we have the best looking lawn in the neighborhood.

As for exercise equipment I am trying to get DH disassemble is universal gym that he never uses. I want that space for yoga and if I get it I told him that maybe we can add a steam room. I know he would love that because arthritis has started to bother him.

Just got an email from JA for 20% off preset studs. Had to take a look. Nothing interested me. Now I am more excited about getting my yoga space.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm struggling with the same thoughts about this winter's vacation. We can afford it but the plane tickets went up so much that the total cost of the trip will be twice as much as the last one. The absolute number just seems to be a ridiculous amount to spend for a week but staying at home just doesn't produce the same R&R.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yeah, I can totally relate - I don't have anything "big" on my wish list at the moment but I love the stacking bands and would like to have a few different ones to wear with my ering. But I just can't bring myself to shell out $1000+ for one. That just seems like a lot of money for something so small! ;( I tried one from one of the Chinese companies and it was pretty but the diamonds were teeny and lifeless. (just realized it's the one in my profile pic haha!) I guess sometimes you get what you pay for. Ugh, I think I'm the resident tightwad of PS! These days I'm browsing around on the pre-loved market, but it's hard to find anything in my size. I did find a blue nile half-eternity in my size for a price that didn't make me cringe on I Do Now I Don't so I ordered it for Christmas. Yeah, I wanted a full eternity but something has to give lol.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
junebug17|1415820230|3782131 said:
Oh yeah, I can totally relate - I don't have anything "big" on my wish list at the moment but I love the stacking bands and would like to have a few different ones to wear with my ering. But I just can't bring myself to shell out $1000+ for one. That just seems like a lot of money for something so small! ;( I tried one from one of the Chinese companies and it was pretty but the diamonds were teeny and lifeless. (just realized it's the one in my profile pic haha!) I guess sometimes you get what you pay for. Ugh, I think I'm the resident tightwad of PS! These days I'm browsing around on the pre-loved market, but it's hard to find anything in my size. I did find a blue nile half-eternity in my size for a price that didn't make me cringe on I Do Now I Don't so I ordered it for Christmas. Yeah, I wanted a full eternity but something has to give lol.

Far be it from me to enable anyone :saint: but have you considered David Klass for an eternity band? Last time I had a quote from him was for a diamond rose gold eternity band and it was quite a bit less than $1k.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1415823361|3782170 said:

Far be it from me to enable anyone :saint: but have you considered David Klass for an eternity band? Last time I had a quote from him was for a diamond rose gold eternity band and it was quite a bit less than $1k.

Maisie, thank you for the suggestion! I have seen DK's work here on PS and really like it, thanks for the info on the price - I will definitely keep him in mind! :appl:

emmebee

Shiny_Rock

junebug, the stacker in your profile pic is not good quality? You could have had me fooled, it looks great in your pic!! Does it have actual marquise diamonds? It looks like it! I tried looking at your other posts but couldn't find your SMTB for it. Mind sharing stats??

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
emmebee|1415827466|3782207 said:
junebug, the stacker in your profile pic is not good quality? You could have had me fooled, it looks great in your pic!! Does it have actual marquise diamonds? It looks like it! I tried looking at your other posts but couldn't find your SMTB for it. Mind sharing stats??

Emmebee, it's funny, when I look at pics of it I think "maybe I should have kept it!" :D It looks nice in the pics and I was pretty happy with it at first, and I would have kept it if the diamonds had a bit more sparkle to them. It was inexpensive but I figured I could put the money towards a band I liked better. There are a few more pics here, towards the bottom of the page. Oh, and they are all round diamonds.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-random-bling-thread.193925/page-4']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-random-bling-thread.193925/page-4[/URL]

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah socool, I know where you are coming from. I lusted after ideal cut diamond studs for a long while. I finally got them and thought they were utterly beautiful, but to tell the truth I was more likely to choose to wear my silver and semiprecious stone earrings because I like to wear things that match the color of what I was wearing. And when you wear earrings, you can't really see the diamonds and enjoy them that way. So for me, it didn't seem like I wore them enough to make it "worth it". if I was going to keep them, I would have taken out the stones and used them in a ring so I could see them.

I think only you knows whether it would feel "worth it" to spend that much money. If you are on the fence I would keep saving your money for them and wait til you did feel it was worth it with no regrets (well at least as much as anyone has no regrets).

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do the exact same thing. Sometimes I just have to force myself to buy what a need/want. The anxiety before the purchase is usually worse than the regret after.

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
junebug17|1415842564|3782388 said:
emmebee|1415827466|3782207 said:

Emmebee, it's funny, when I look at pics of it I think "maybe I should have kept it!" :D It looks nice in the pics and I was pretty happy with it at first, and I would have kept it if the diamonds had a bit more sparkle to them. It was inexpensive but I figured I could put the money towards a band I liked better. There are a few more pics here, towards the bottom of the page. Oh, and they are all round diamonds.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-random-bling-thread.193925/page-4']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-random-bling-thread.193925/page-4[/URL]

Haha it does look so nice! The shapes definitely compliment each other very well :) But I completely understand about putting the "bling funds" into something more satisfying. Thanks so much for responding and showing me the other pics!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results