Calling all the Pregnant PS''ers

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SMC|1415138697|3777515 said:
Niel|1415138158|3777512 said:
SMC|1415133682|3777484 said:
Niel|1415119705|3777380 said:
I'm having a major melt down about baby names.

I love my daughter's name. I wouldn't change a thing. I think its perfection. I can't manage to feel the same way about this baby. I have "Meh its OK" or "I guess that works" and I'm all emotional about it. I want to looove it. Not like it OK. :(
Sorry about that. Can you just take a step back, relax, and wait til he comes before naming him? Or are you ordering monogrammed onesies now? Maybe you'll be inspired when you see him because he "looks like" a particular name.

Maybe it's fun to decide ahead, but if it's causing you stress, then it's not worth it. Happy mom = happy baby!

Our 5 year old niece sent us an emoticon-heavy text saying that she didn't like our name choice (Riley) because it sounds like a boy's name. It was super cute, but we're sticking with the name - at least until we meet her!

Its not so much about monograms as it is feeling an emtional connection to a person rather than a fetus.

I know based on previous experience that I get more connected with a name. And sense I have such GD, I really feel like it would help me feel more connected.

Plus my husband and I find the "see what he looks like " thing a bit silly.
I wouldn't call it "silly". Maybe it doesn't work for you, but it has worked for lots of other people and I wouldn't call them silly.

You don't have to find it silly. I didn't say it inherently was silly, that's just how we feel about it. I know it works for some people. But that's just not how we will be doing it.

Everybody has their own style of naming :)

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
You're not annoying niel, many of us have been there or are the so yeah we understand lol

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Hi all! Well, my linea nigra has officially appeared. New stretch marks are also popping up, so I'm Maderma-ing the crap out of them. I'm sure it won't help, though. I'm feeling very pregnant these days. People keep saying stuff like "oh you must be due soon!" which is annoying, but I can't say I blame them. I'm just about officially in the 3rd trimester (tomorrow), so that's a nice milestone. I also like knowing that viability without serious complications is pretty low at this point. That's a huge relief! Is anyone else getting pregnancy carpal tunnel? It's the worst at night, I'll wake up with my 4th and 5th fingers numb. I got it with B as well so no big surprise there. Hope everyone is doing well!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1415382803|3779282 said:
Hi all! Well, my linea nigra has officially appeared. New stretch marks are also popping up, so I'm Maderma-ing the crap out of them. I'm sure it won't help, though. I'm feeling very pregnant these days. People keep saying stuff like "oh you must be due soon!" which is annoying, but I can't say I blame them. I'm just about officially in the 3rd trimester (tomorrow), so that's a nice milestone. I also like knowing that viability without serious complications is pretty low at this point. That's a huge relief! Is anyone else getting pregnancy carpal tunnel? It's the worst at night, I'll wake up with my 4th and 5th fingers numb. I got it with B as well so no big surprise there. Hope everyone is doing well!
Oh yeah my carpal tunnel came early. I work in a desk setting, so its not my favorite part. I've been having terrible calf cramps though. The kind you wake up from at night. I've been eating bananas and drunking like a fish but doesn't seem to help.

tbaus

Shiny_Rock
FrekeChild|1415085722|3777233 said:
pancake|1414645278|3774839 said:
MIA WHERE ARE YOU???
Lol pancake! Her little one is here, I'll bug her to come update you guys.

Another one impatient to hear how Mia is doing. Glad to hear she is probably just busy though!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Well, I'm officially in the 3rd trimester! My hips celebrated by turning out...so the waddle is starting. My CS is scheduled for 12 weeks from today!

3rdtri.jpg

SMC

Ideal_Rock
28w2d here and I'm feeling huge. I am short (5'3") and there's just nowhere for baby to grow but out. I've been feeling her in my ribs a lot too.

I had my shower this weekend and it was great! The weather was sunny and perfect, and the venue had a playground outside for the kids to play. My mom's friend is a caterer and provided a ton of food for the event. My old roommate baked cupcakes and my BFF (who is 30w pregnant) provided all the decorations. About 45 ppl (including children) showed up. Some of them decorated some white onesies and bibs with fabric markers. I got a lot of stuff off my registry. There are a few big items that we still need to buy including the crib and changing table, but overall, we got quite a good haul.

My hypnobirthing class starts this week. I am also starting to interview L&D doulas - some of my mom friends over the weekend suggested that I get one if I'm serious about the unmedicated childbirth route so I'm strongly considering doing that if I find a doula that I like.

I'm also scheduled to get my 4D ultrasound on Wednesday night. I'll be 28w4d. They suggested I go in prior to 30w just because my anterior placenta can apparently make viewing more difficult. We'll see how it goes! I'm curious to see if she has hair.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
SMC|1415659791|3780878 said:
28w2d here and I'm feeling huge. I am short (5'3") and there's just nowhere for baby to grow but out. I've been feeling her in my ribs a lot too.

I had my shower this weekend and it was great! The weather was sunny and perfect, and the venue had a playground outside for the kids to play. My mom's friend is a caterer and provided a ton of food for the event. My old roommate baked cupcakes and my BFF (who is 30w pregnant) provided all the decorations. About 45 ppl (including children) showed up. Some of them decorated some white onesies and bibs with fabric markers. I got a lot of stuff off my registry. There are a few big items that we still need to buy including the crib and changing table, but overall, we got quite a good haul.

My hypnobirthing class starts this week. I am also starting to interview L&D doulas - some of my mom friends over the weekend suggested that I get one if I'm serious about the unmedicated childbirth route so I'm strongly considering doing that if I find a doula that I like.

I'm also scheduled to get my 4D ultrasound on Wednesday night. I'll be 28w4d. They suggested I go in prior to 30w just because my anterior placenta can apparently make viewing more difficult. We'll see how it goes! I'm curious to see if she has hair.

How fun! Glad you had a good shower. Sorry you are uncomfortable :( I know the feeling. Hopefully, with the holidays coming up, the next few months fly by!

Huff26

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone :wavey:

I have had a rough 14 weeks so far with my hyperemesis. But I think I am finally turning the corner with this pregnancy. There are still certain foods I can't eat like chocolate, but I am grateful just not to be throwing up every second of every day.

We also found out we are having a little boy!! I'm due on Mother's Day in 2015 and I can't lie, I am so happy it's a boy. I wanted one so badly and I feel so lucky DH will have someone to pass his baseball skills on to.

They said he was rather long and large for his age and I am quite small so it should be interesting to see if he will be able to fit on the way out! It might be a c-section for me.

How is everyone else doing?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Welcome, Huff! Glad you're starting to feel better. My MS lasted forever this time, as in I was still throwing up at the 21/22 week mark. But it's amazing how it just suddenly ends. Hopefully yours is gone all together soon!

AFM, I just ordered my "free" breast pump from my insurance company. You have to be 28 weeks to order it (which I turn tomorrow). I just wanted to find out what I need from my doctor to make the order, since I have an appointment on Monday. They said since I'm so close I could just order it right then. So I have a Madela In Style Advanced headed my way! It's sort of crazy that I'm already to that point.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1415988502|3783552 said:
Welcome, Huff! Glad you're starting to feel better. My MS lasted forever this time, as in I was still throwing up at the 21/22 week mark. But it's amazing how it just suddenly ends. Hopefully yours is gone all together soon!

AFM, I just ordered my "free" breast pump from my insurance company. You have to be 28 weeks to order it (which I turn tomorrow). I just wanted to find out what I need from my doctor to make the order, since I have an appointment on Monday. They said since I'm so close I could just order it right then. So I have a Madela In Style Advanced headed my way! It's sort of crazy that I'm already to that point.
I got my breast pump back around week 18. I don't think that my insurance specified how pregnant I needed to be in order to get it. The doctor just had to confirm to the pump supplier that I'm pregnant. I ordered the same one as you, AMC, online through Pumping Essentials.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
SMC|1415989073|3783566 said:

I got my breast pump back around week 18. I don't think that my insurance specified how pregnant I needed to be in order to get it. The doctor just had to confirm to the pump supplier that I'm pregnant. I ordered the same one as you, AMC, online through Pumping Essentials.

Oh, that makes it easy! I have to have my doctor write a prescription that has my due date, then I have to fax that in. Did you have a choice? I could choose between the Madela and an Ameda Purely Yours. But I already have the Purely Yours from my last pregnancy. It will be so nice to have two- I can leave one at work and not cart it back and forth.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1415989676|3783575 said:
SMC|1415989073|3783566 said:

Oh, that makes it easy! I have to have my doctor write a prescription that has my due date, then I have to fax that in. Did you have a choice? I could choose between the Madela and an Ameda Purely Yours. But I already have the Purely Yours from my last pregnancy. It will be so nice to have two- I can leave one at work and not cart it back and forth.
I'm not really sure what the doctor needed to do actually - Pumping Essentials handled it directly with my doctor. I think that my doctor did have to fax in a prescription. I had a choice between Medela, Ameda, and the Freemie. I went with the Medela because that's what most of my friends have used before and they recommended it. I have a spare Medela Freestyle at home too (hand-me-down from SIL) so I can keep one at work and have one to use at home.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Hi mamas! I wasn't as active on this thread with this second pregnancy, but I wanted to stop by an announce the arrival of our son, Emmett Bailey! Born on November 4th at 5:12 AM, 7lb15oz, 21.5 inches long. He's a happy, healthy, mostly chill little guy (so far) and big-sis Eloise is fairing quite well, but, you know, she's two... so... ;))

Birth tale below:

Emmett was due Friday the 31st but I really had no signs of labor. I was around 2cm and 90% effaced, however, and was just waiting, waiting. With DD there were NO signs of labor, ever, until I was induced with Pitocin at 42+3. I hoped to avoid that fate, but wasn't particularly hopeful. On Monday the 3rd I woke up in the early morning with time able braxton hicks, which was more than I'd experienced to that point. By sunrise they were sometimes uncomfortable, 3-5 minutes apart, but absolutely bearable. DH asked if he should take the following day off of work, and I told him I thought it'd be a good idea. Of course, within hours of him calling in a floater the contractions (BH or otherwise) completely stopped. I went to bed at 11:00 feeling pretty annoyed that things hadn't progressed. ...Until... I woke up at 1:15 or so with a sharp GI cramp and got up to use the restroom. When I did, I noticed a fair amount of bloody show (though I'd lost/regrown mucus plug in the weeks prior), but this seemed more liquid-like than before. I laid back down and started to notice the same rhythmic tightening from the previous early morning, but with the addition of discomfort. They were coming 2-2.5 minutes apart. After 20 minutes or so I woke DH up to tell him I was having contractions, nothing brutal, and that I was going to pack my hospital bag and try to lay back down for sleep. He opted to get up too, pack what he needed, and get more rest. He kept asking how severe they were, but I really had no point of reference- I could talk and smile through the peaks, so I figured it wasn't traditional "active" labor. At 2 AM I called the midwife to let her know what was going on- because of the closeness of contractions she said we should consider leaving for the hospital soon-ish, but that it was okay to hang at home for a while until I started to get uncomfortable. Because intensity was picking up, we called my mom over to watch DD. Throughout this period I was keeping to myself- quiet, avoiding DH ( :cheeky: ) and kind of doing that "mama cat runs off and hides out until she has her babies" sort of thing- I just didn't want to interact with anyone. I hopped in the shower, and by the time I got out, knew that $hit was getting REAL. Though everything I've ever read says to stay loose and limp and relaxed during contractions, what helped me was to just shut my eyes and tense up, and almost push against the discomfort- I found myself during push-ups against the wall :confused: or leaning over the counter and swaying my hips with my legs tense and tightly crossed. Around 3:00 I felt a sudden wave of nausea and figured that meant we needed to get on the road, STAT, as the hospital was 35 minutes away. DH sauntered into our bedroom with a robe and cup of coffee, and for the first time in an hour I said something, "Put that down, put on clothes, and pack the car- NOW." Poor guy. And off we went. I just curled around a pillow and popped on a Hypnobirthing track and focused on the woman's voice. She kept saying, "And with each warm pressure wave, you become more and more relaxed..." and all I could think was, "You lying, f-ing, untrustworthy b-word!" but I just sat there and listened. DH knew to not utter a word to me, but he said afterward he was 100% positive labor had stalled and contractions stopped because I was perfectly silent and still. I don't know how I managed, but I sort of did turn into a statue... it was just how I coped! We got to the hospital at 4:17, the nurse checked me, and I was 8cm. My midwife still wasn't there. In between contractions I was fantastic and smiling and joking, but when my second contraction hit after I was in the delivery room I guess I made a pushing sound/grunt, and the nurse flipped- "PPM! Are you pushing?! You're pushing! When this is over I need to check you!"... and when she did, I was complete! The nurses went a bit bananas and kept telling me to wait, but there was no stopping the freight train at that point. My midwife walked in on the next contraction, I was on hands on knees on the bed, and she threw on some protective gear and pulled up a chair. With the next contraction he crowned, then head birthed, then they flipped me to my side and the rest of his body was born. The second he was out I hollered, "I feel amazing!!!!"- it was such a relief!

Recovery was much, much easier, though I also had no tears this time (2nd degree and internal ones with baby #1), and less blood loss... My body also pushed on its own, and I didn't have any other medications, IVs, interventions- it just all happened in a whirlwind. After-birth pains were horrid, though, and I don't recall the cramping, especially during BFing, to have been so painful. The nurses said that post-labor cramps/contractions worsen with each kid. Yikes.

I know that labor hurt, but it was night and day compared to my daughter's induction, even though I had an epi with her. The breaks were longer, and somehow, the contractions were more bearable (I think they were just shorter, though similar in intensity). The only time I started to get panicked was crowning, as I didn't feel his head go back in the birth canal, and I knew the next push meant he would come out, and I was really scared about tearing- but the discomfort was so short-lived. I definitely stayed on top of the discomfort with this birth, but I also sort of refused to admit to myself that I was as far along as I was. I kept thinking it was going to get more intense, so if I wanted to go without medication, I had better suck it up... or something! Had that been true- had I been only 4 or 5 cm when I got to the hospital- or had my labor lasted 10+ hours instead of 4, it would've been so, so much harder to deal. But it started and was over in the blink of an eye. The nurses, my midwife, and my DH were all pretty perplexed- especially DH, as with DD #1 I was a crying, moaning, wailing mess until I had that sweet epidural. Just goes to show that each L&D can be so, so, so drastically different!

eande.jpg

MuffDog

Shiny_Rock
Ahh!! what a great story, PilsnPinkysMom!!! Congrats on the speedy arrival of Emmett! That's the kind of birth story that may make you consider having another ;-)

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PPM - I read your birth story with great interest. I was wondering how things would turn out for you because I too had to be induced (at +10 days for me.) I am not sure if moms who went over for their first pregnancy are more likely to go over again? I've also been told repeatedly (I also had an "extended" delivery) that the subsequent deliveries will be much easier, so I wonder if that's also why your second was so much easier? That photo of E and E is just precious! Hope you are settling in well with your new little one.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loves Vintage|1416148560|3784616 said:
PPM - I read your birth story with great interest. I was wondering how things would turn out for you because I too had to be induced (at +10 days for me.) I am not sure if moms who went over for their first pregnancy are more likely to go over again? I've also been told repeatedly (I also had an "extended" delivery) that the subsequent deliveries will be much easier, so I wonder if that's also why your second was so much easier? That photo of E and E is just precious! Hope you are settling in well with your new little one.
I was induced as well for my first. I will fight hell and high water to avoid it again. But to your question, my doctor said that yes, you're more likely to go over again.

Ppm your kids are lovely! Congrats. M's middle name is Eloise. :clap: :clap:

SMC

Ideal_Rock
PPM, your kids are adorable! Congrats on the arrival of your new baby. I just started taking my hypnobirthing classes this past week and have been listening to the relaxation CD a lot. I want to avoid medication as well, but we'll see.

AFM, I'm interviewing like six doulas this week in hopes of finding one that I feel confident and comfortable with. Other than that, nothing new to report (beyond minor grievances like heartburn and general breathlessness when I have to walk up any stairs). Seems like my pregnancy has been pretty uneventful, and I hope it stays that way until she's full-term!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel - Well, hopefully you won't go over or won't go over by much so you will be able to avoid another induction. Did your DR also say that your second birth should be easier?

SMC - Good luck with your doula interviews! I had a doula with my first. Nothing went as planned due to the aforementioned induction. She was still super-helpful and supportive during active labor. It was nice to have someone who I felt was looking out for just me during labor.

Here's a question for all. At how many weeks did you tell your employer that you are expecting? I waited til 14 weeks, but not sure what the norm is, or if there is even a norm.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1416271612|3785466 said:
Niel - Well, hopefully you won't go over or won't go over by much so you will be able to avoid another induction. Did your DR also say that your second birth should be easier?

SMC - Good luck with your doula interviews! I had a doula with my first. Nothing went as planned due to the aforementioned induction. She was still super-helpful and supportive during active labor. It was nice to have someone who I felt was looking out for just me during labor.

Here's a question for all. At how many weeks did you tell your employer that you are expecting? I waited til 14 weeks, but not sure what the norm is, or if there is even a norm.
I told my manager at 8 weeks but that's because I knew he was going to be super supportive. I didn't tell the rest of my coworkers until 13 weeks. Legally, employers can't ask and you're not obligated to tell, so it's really whatever you're comfortable with. Most people seem to wait until after the first trimester so you don't have to deal with coworkers' questions if anything goes wrong.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I told my boss the day after the NT scan, once we knew everything was okay. So 13 weeks or so?

I had my 28 week appointment. It all seems so real now! I got my Rhogam shot and have to start kick counts. My CS is scheduled for 12pm on 2-2. I'm measuring 4 weeks ahead now.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loves Vintage|1416271612|3785466 said:

She didnt mention anything about being easier.

Like I said i refuse to be induced unless ita somehow dangerous for the baby. If I go over, I'm going to insist on a c section. My induction took 30 hours resulting in 2 hours of pushing, causing Ms heartrate to drop and nearly an emergency c section anyways. Plus they had no idea how big she was. That plus the meds they gave meant we were in the hospital 5 days....the old wife's tale (or truth?) That your second is larger, boys are larger, and Ms size already being large has me pretty against an induction if I'm already a week overdue.

I shouldnt complain as there was a fear my complications would prompt me to go into early labor... And it hasn't happened yet. So Every week closer to a full term is wonderful. But I had such a terrible experience with my birth I'm so freaked out about it and the prospect of another induction

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Hello ladies! :wavey:

16w yesterday so I guess it's time for me to move over to the big girl thread! Saw my OB yesterday and confirmed that we are expecting a boy! :sun: Booked my c-section date (23 April - St George's Day) and I guess now we just wait? :)

So excited to finally be here and look forward to getting to know everyone! :D

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie|1416305084|3785644 said:

16w yesterday so I guess it's time for me to move over to the big girl thread! Saw my OB yesterday and confirmed that we are expecting a boy! :sun: Booked my c-section date (23 April - St George's Day) and I guess now we just wait? :)

How exciting!
Were you hoping for a boy over a girl? Do you have any names in mind?

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1416314513|3785675 said:

How exciting!

We were actually hoping for a girl! But after three years of TTC and a loss, we really don't mind either way!

We are thinking of (debating!) names. DH is an Afrikaner of French Huguenot descent (with some German and Dutch too) and loves Francophile names like Francois and Jacques and Jean-Pierre and I'm like, errr how about John?

We both like Sebastian, but he pronounces it the Afrikaans way, which adds an extra syllable (and thus annoys me). Hugo is also an option, but again, he pronounces it the Afrikaans way, HiGGGo, with a guttural "G" and ending in a short "oo" sound, like "cook". Our surname also starts with a guttural "G" and when we were sounding out the name one of my students told me that the alliteration of the two gutturals sounds like the noise her dog makes before it pukes :-o

I think Hugo is awesome the English way, but there's no way to ensure that everyone pronounces it the English way. I guess we have five more months to make up our minds!

How is your naming decision coming along? :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie|1416323296|3785756 said:
Niel|1416314513|3785675 said:

How exciting!

We were actually hoping for a girl! But after three years of TTC and a loss, we really don't mind either way!

We are thinking of (debating!) names. DH is an Afrikaner of French Huguenot descent (with some German and Dutch too) and loves Francophile names like Francois and Jacques and Jean-Pierre and I'm like, errr how about John?

We both like Sebastian, but he pronounces it the Afrikaans way, which adds an extra syllable (and thus annoys me). Hugo is also an option, but again, he pronounces it the Afrikaans way, HiGGGo, with a guttural "G" and ending in a short "oo" sound, like "cook". Our surname also starts with a guttural "G" and when we were sounding out the name one of my students told me that the alliteration of the two gutturals sounds like the noise her dog makes before it pukes :-o

I think Hugo is awesome the English way, but there's no way to ensure that everyone pronounces it the English way. I guess we have five more months to make up our minds!

How is your naming decision coming along? :)
We are down to two. I think it's hard for me because I am having a hard time letting one go. This is our last child and every time I say "OK its this name!" I think "but wait what about this name!"

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1416325875|3785776 said:
We are down to two. I think it's hard for me because I am having a hard time letting one go. This is our last child and every time I say "OK its this name!" I think "but wait what about this name!"
I feel the same way. We have one boy name picked out and I'm afraid that we we'll never get to use it. I really only want two kids (mayyyyybe 3), but I also have a feeling that we're going to have all girls.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SMC|1416334327|3785839 said:
Niel|1416325875|3785776 said:
I feel the same way. We have one boy name picked out and I'm afraid that we we'll never get to use it. I really only want two kids (mayyyyybe 3), but I also have a feeling that we're going to have all girls.
I was certain we would have 2 girls. Dead certain. Shows what I know lol.

What is your boy name?? I promise I won't steal it ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results