shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this sapphire?

MichaelB

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm in the hunt for a sapphire for an engagement ring and trying to get educated. My full knowledge of stones is what I've picked up from reading this board over the past couple weeks.

Anyway, I came across this sapphire today and it stood out to me so I wanted to get some thoughts on it. Is it windowed? (first attempt at stone lingo).

Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scintillati...4218?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item1c491b839a

MichaelB

Rough_Rock
Pretty crazy, liao, of all the stones out there that was the other stone I was favoring. I really like that one.

You asked how sensitive is my eye. How does one know that?

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
There might be a small window in the middle upper left quadrant of the table or zoning. The color seems ok to me, I do not see violet or purple in my screen, but in the lower part seems bleeding or zoning I am not sure.
Color is a preference, some like darker and some like lighter.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2.66 ct
Lighter blue, perhaps with some violet but nice cutting. Not sure what's going on at the bottom of the stone but perhaps those are smudges from handling the stone during photography since the stone is stated as eye clean.

2.5 ct
Better saturation but could be a smidge too dark depending on how you plan to set it. Cut, however, isn't that good.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
liao|1415860036|3782522 said:
in my computer, it looks rather violetish blue than medium blue. How sensitive is your eye? if you have a sensitive eye, and you want 'pure' blue sapphire, I would recommend this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/No-Heat-2-5ct-Cushion-Srilankan-Blue-Sapphire-Eye-Clean-AIGS-Certified-Gems-/121083083158?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item1c311d3996

Unfortunately, this one is way darker than the sapphire in your post

It also appears to have facet abrasion and what appears to be a window, but hard to tell at the angle it's being photographed at. I don't care for it at all. Too dark.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Due to the depth it is going to face up smaller.

MichaelB

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have a lot to learn.

The two ring styles I like (at this point) are

1. Something like the "sugar coated" Victor Canera halo that acinom acquired. If I do a halo I want to differentiate from the trendy princess kate / penelope cruz style, and the rectangular/octagonal Victor Canera halo seems pretty distinct from that style.

2. This style I found via google image search, but can't find the source, tiffany or otherwise:

http://greatoakcircle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/tiffany-ring.jpg

Would someone be kind enough to post that image or explain how to? I just spent 20 min trying to figure out how to post an image on here and still failed. Apparently can't just use standard html.

The two styles are obviously very different and would need different stone types. #1 would seem to need a square(ish) or asscher cut stone, whereas #2 would seem to take a rectangular cushion, and a much larger stone than #1. I've also learned on here that a colored stone will look darker in a halo so I'm keeping that in mind.

So my plan was to look for a great stone that would fit one of those styles and go from there. It's all pretty confusing though, especially the prices. Seems like the Jeff Davies cushion that someone posted above would be 10k from some sellers recommended on here but he's selling it for under 3k.

Any advice would be appreciated. Budget is very flexible, anywhere from 5-20k. Just want it to be pretty, somewhat unique, and not get ripped off. Thanks.

S

SparkliesLuver

MichaelB, I've uploaded a screen shot so you can see where to upload an attachment. Hope it's clear. Excuse my lovely arrow. haha :)

_505.png

liao

Shiny_Rock
MichaelB|1415860581|3782525 said:
Pretty crazy, liao, of all the stones out there that was the other stone I was favoring. I really like that one.

You asked how sensitive is my eye. How does one know that?

if you are interested on that sapphire, ask for more pic from different angle. that stone might has window

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Face up nice and not a bad price… just depth is very deep , hard to set,

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here you go.

_24127.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pricing will vary based on what the vendor purchased it for, the vendor's overhead, the gem quality and how quickly the vendor needs the stone to move. There are reasons the Jeff Davies cushion is under $3K and for those reasons, I would not recommend that sapphire to you.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
The Jeff Davies one is decent for the size and price. Since you have the budget for something better, I would not consider it.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

MichaelB

Rough_Rock
Thanks chrono, liao, and kites. Particularly liao with the 30k stone recs, lol. My budget was intended to include everything, tt&l not just the stone.

I know she prefers deeper/darker blue over the cornflower. Not sure what shape she prefers and can't ask without making her suspicious. I prefer rectangular/cushion, of possibly round. Not a big fan of the elongated oval.

Anyone have a guess as to the size of the cushion stone in that split shank ring image that chrono was kind enough to post for me?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure you've noticed but I thought I'd point out that the Ebay seller in the first two links only has 36 feedback (all positive) and the first sapphire is one of the most expensive he/she has had for sale. I would try to avoid Ebay for a relatively expensive purchase unless it's with a well known vendor.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1415987294|3783537 said:
I'm sure you've noticed but I thought I'd point out that the Ebay seller in the first two links only has 36 feedback (all positive) and the first sapphire is one of the most expensive he/she has had for sale. I would try to avoid Ebay for a relatively expensive purchase unless it's with a well known vendor.

LD,
Wilds is a very reputable vendor, who also made it to our trusted list.

Michael,
Please list out what you are looking for and we'll see what we can do.
1. Looks like you want unheated.
2. Budget for the sapphire
3. Open to rectangular cushion and what other shapes?
4. Minimum mm size?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

Wilds Global Minerals is a reputable vendor. I think they're on the trusted vendors list.

OP, round is probably the safest shape. But also hard to find in sapphire. I will see if I can find anything nice

Chrono|1415987479|3783540 said:
Michael,
Please list out what you are looking for and we'll see what we can do.
1. Looks like you want unheated.
2. Budget for the sapphire
3. Open to rectangular cushion and what other shapes?
4. Minimum mm size?

This is what we need to know.
Also, you said a darker colour than the cornflower blue colour?

Looks like we cross posted, Chrono.

MichaelB

Rough_Rock
1. Unheated
2. color: she likes deep/dark blue. But should look for a little lighter stone if I do a halo, right?
3. shape: prefer square/rectangular/cushion. Would consider round. This is largely based on the fact that the two ring/setting styles I like (acinom's victor canera halo ring and the "tiffany" design that chrono posted for me) have square/rectangular/cushion stones. I haven't seen a round stone ring/setting that grabs me.
4. size: min mm -- not sure. Still trying to figure out the appropriate stone size for the two ring styles I mentioned. Any help here would be appreciated.
5. budget: 20k total. So maybe 5-15k for the stone? I called victor canera and the halo setting is around 6.

Thanks!

MichaelB

Rough_Rock
Kites, perhaps I don't know exactly what cornflower means so just ignore that comment. :) I know she likes darker/richer blue.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MichaelB|1415986365|3783526 said:
* * * Anyone have a guess as to the size of the cushion stone in that split shank ring image that chrono was kind enough to post for me?
According to the couple of ring/jewelry bloggers who posted about it in 2011, it was a 7.67 ct center stone.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
MichaelB|1415988309|3783547 said:
4. size: min mm -- not sure. Still trying to figure out the appropriate stone size for the two ring styles I mentioned. Any help here would be appreciated.
Thanks!

The best thing to do is to probably go to stores and look at the various mm sizes. Or buy a bunch of cheap CZs to determine what your minimum is. The first time I bought a gem it was around 6.5x4.5mm, it seemed so tiny when I got it! Now it seems to me like it has an ok size.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Has anyone purchased from All That Glitters? They have a lot of sapphires and some larger blue cushions. Many are certed with AGL and untreated.......although you have to look at each description. I'm not familiar with this vendor.........but sure enjoyed the photo's and descriptions!

http://www.atggems.com/Photos_Sapphire1.htm

Scroll down the page to reach the gems...........about halfway + there is a blue 3+ octagon that caught my eye.

They have a second page of sapphires too.........not sure how many blue cushions are on that page.

Also, MichaelB..........is she okay with a color change stone? Often Blue sapphires will shift to purple (color or tint) in certain lighting. Just another thing to consider and some of those stones give you two personalities which is like two rings in one. Sorry if this was mentioned.......I can't remember after staring at all those sapphires......... :love:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
A few sapphires I found.... stock is pretty limited when it comes to good unheated sapphires, especially when you have shape limitations.

1) I know this is heated and 1k over budget, but I had to post -- with over 10mm face up it is big:
http://www.concavegems.com/detail.cfm?zNum=6594

2) I love the antique cushion shape. Doesn't seem to have silk, but it's very nice:
http://www.africagems.com/sapphire-blue-ja87.html

This vendor does not post prices; you'd have to work through a jeweler to get pricing, they seem a bit dark:
3) http://www.palagems.com/php/db_search.php?action=gemdetail&inventory_number=19550
4) http://www.palagems.com/php/db_search.php?action=gemdetail&inventory_number=17711

Just FYI, AGL is regarded as the best lab for detecting heat treatment. I'd always ask for an AGL prestige report before buying a sapphire of this value.

Digdeep..... Although no one here has bought anything from them in ages (at least no one has spoken about experiences with them in years), as long as they'd get an AGL report for me on their sapphires, I would buy from them. It's a bit annoying that they don't state which stones are heated or unheated unless it has a viewable report because now I can't recommend any of them to OP.

sapphire_26.jpg

sapphire_27.jpg

sapphire_3__1_0.jpg

sapphire_30.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results