shape
carat
color
clarity

Who will be my enabler?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello, I have read abut enabling on Pricescope. Seems some people are really good at it! A jeweler is having a sale and I have seen a pendant.

It's a one-carat sapphire, with a tapered diamond baguette either side.

The baguettes are kind of tipped upward. Hard to describe. But the pendant makes a soft V shape, with the round stone in the bottom of the V. It's not as pointed as a V. Anyway, I love it. It's a fair price I thnk.

But the SA said it had been in the store since 2005. It's an estate piece. Can't figure out why it hasn't been adopted. Maybe I have crazy bad taste and no one else wants it. But I love it. The sapphire is a pretty shade. I asked about treatment other than heat and they didn't really know but seemd to think they could tell if had those other treatments I read about. Diffusion/infusion.

Is this the right place to come to for some enabling? I'Ll move the thread if not.

The necklace is really pretty...

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like it, and it doesn't hurt the finances, BUY IT.

Life is too short.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ain't that the truth.

And if I don't buy it, bad things will happen to me.

So I'd better buy it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
if it speaks to you, get it.
if you can walk away from it and not regret someone else buying it, walk away.
but if this is one of those pieces that you'll always kick yourself for not getting , then JUST DO IT!
oh, yeah, you came to the right place for enablers.......

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1415757573|3781698 said:
but if this is one of those pieces that you'll always kick yourself for not getting , then JUST DO IT!

Movie Zombie knows what she is talking about. If it's an estate piece once it's gone, it's gone. I'm still kicking myself for a ring I fell in love a few years ago. I called two days later to buy it and it had been sold. I haven't seen anything like it since.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's been in the store since 2005, negotiate!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the advice. Yeah, wouldn't it be just precious if the thing had been in the store since 2005 and then it sold while I made up my mind. Ha. I will have a think and see if I can live without it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1415759542|3781723 said:

Movie Zombie knows what she is talking about. If it's an estate piece once it's gone, it's gone. I'm still kicking myself for a ring I fell in love a few years ago. I called two days later to buy it and it had been sold. I haven't seen anything like it since.

that is because she is still kicking herself and kicking herself very hard for having procrastinated too long too often on too many things........ :(sad :oops: :blackeye: :(( ;(

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1415766636|3781803 said:
Calliecake|1415759542|3781723 said:

that is because she is still kicking herself and kicking herself very hard for having procrastinated too long too often on too many things........ :(sad :oops: :blackeye: :(( ;(

I'm right there with you movie zombie! You certainly are not alone. I still feel sick that I didn't buy it when I had the chance. I have to quit thinking about it now. I'm mad at myself all over again.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tend to be skeptical and ask myself why it hasn't been sold in ages. Is it a fair price not knowing much of the important details? Since I am more often a disabler than enabler, I'd better skulk away quietly... :tongue:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep, there a lot of unknowns, Chrono.
but for the right price and if the ring was speaking to me?
I mean SPEAKING TO ME and I think I won't find another like it?
it really comes down to Not Settling For Less v. Not Regret Having Bought it........
say 'no' if settling for less just to have immediate gratification.........
sometimes, though, just sometimes a ring will "speak to one" and unknowns be damned.
sigh.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I'm a pretty good enabler and in this case I'm happy to oblige! It sounds like you love the piece and truly feel that you will wear it and get enjoyment from it - I think in the majority of cases, there's always some reason not to buy something, which I think sometimes makes us overly cautious and perhaps pass on things that would have given us a little joy. Sometimes it's just fun to treat ourselves - life is short and kind of hard sometimes and we all need a day-brightener from time to time. If you really love it, I say go for it!

MZ makes a good point - Does it upset you to imagine someone else buying it? That's the reasoning I used to finally decide on buying a particular OEC lol.

I do like April's suggestion of negotiating on the price, I didn't even think of that. Can't hurt to ask.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moviezombie and callicake, your regrets are a good enabler for me! I am sorry those jewelries got away. Maybe you could sketch them and have something made for you just like the lost ones?

Chrono, you are a voice of reason. But then Junebug sways me again...! (Thank you junebug!)

I will thik about it a little more.

Price is $950, for 1 carat medium blue sapphire and baguette diamond sides, not sure about the size but not that large, on a 14k chain.

And yes, I will try to negotiate Aprilbaby. Good idea.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya, it would be GREAT if you could go visit the store and take some neck shots to post here... :dance:

If not, I think I can pretty well visualize the necklace. It sounds very nice. If you are so smitten with it, and don't mind not knowing the specs as many PSr's would insist on, then I think you should go for it if you can negotiate a great price. Almost $1k for a piece that has been sitting in inventory for almost 10 years? I'm no expert, but I would be tempted to offer $400 and see what happens from there. I'd also be SO curious as to why the jeweler has held onto the piece for so long. If it were me running a business, I'd want to free up more open-to-buy even at a loss so I could bring in fresh pieces.

:wavey: Good luck!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it has been waiting there just for you. It sounds like you really want it. Go back, act casual and dicker about the price.

sumitahuja

Rough_Rock
I wish you buy it now.. Live your life.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you folks!

Monarch, there are a few jewelers downtown where I browse regularly and have done for many years. I've noticed that the inventories often don't change over a long period and it's always puzzled me. I suppose much of the biz is engagement rings which you wouldn't see if stones are ordered in or wouldn't notice them changing in the window, as much as the unique pieces. I've really wondered how they make a living. Maybe the reverse is true with jewelry - I mean if you buy in a piece at 2005 wholesale prices and sell at 2014 retail, you're very happy! I'm fascinated by the economics of independent jewelry stores. Maybe the markup of all pieces, or of the engagement rings, is such that they don't have to sell a huge amount each year to do well.

Marcy, I like the idea of it waiting for me!

Sumitahuja, thank you for the encouragement!

Anyway, sorry to be boring but I am going to think about it a while longer. Thanks for all the input, it's very helpful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results