shape
carat
color
clarity

What stone is this?

Garnet Gimlet

Rough_Rock
Hello All.... I hope you can help me figure out this stone. I have been following this forum for a few months, listening and learning, and while I have learned a tremendous amount (more than I ever thought I had to learn), I still can't figure this ring out.

I bought this ring about three years ago at a local flea market for $50. It is 10K white gold and has the initials R.C. engraved on the inside. The setting itself was really pretty, and I figured even if it was just shiny glass, the setting would pay for itself. I did not buy it from the original owner, and have no more information on its provenance.

The stone itself is odd. Indoors, it looks very pale blue -- almost aquamarine like, but more saturated than I've seen for an aquamarine (though I admit, my knowledge is limited to commercial stones). Outdoors it appears more like a sea foam type green. I have included pictures of it in both lighting. The color in the picture is less saturated than in real life, but the side view gives a pretty good idea of what it really looks like.

I brought the ring to my local jeweler, who is very kind and trustworthy, but I think he is much more used to working in diamonds than colored stones. He didn't what the stone was, and figured it was maybe some man made stone.

Can you, Gem Mavens of Price Scope help assuage my curiosity?

cam00351.jpg

cam00346.jpg

cam00357.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without getting it tested, its impossible, at least for me, to id from a photo. I however do suspect its synthetic based on it's very glassy and clean appearance. Maybe it's a synthetic spinel or hydrothermal quartz.

I don't think its tourmaline, although that is the color that most closely resembles it. Natural aquas don't tend to have dramatic color shifts like that.

Garnet Gimlet

Rough_Rock
I do have a lot to learn. I have never heard of hydrothermal quartz.

It is very clear. Almost oddly so. I had figured it just had a massive window. I had considered getting it recut if it was a worthwhile stone.

I had thought tourmaline or aquamarine too. But it doesn't really match either, from what I've seen.

How would I go about getting it tested? Does that mean sending it out for an AGL report or taking it to someone local with the right equipment?

Thanks for the input, TL

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen a lot of synthetic spinel that is that green color. I've never seen it in different types of lighting so dunno if it could look blue like that.

Lots of jewelers have thingies that measure the refractive index of the stone and from that they can tell you what type it is, though it still won't tell you if it's natural or synthetic (my guess would be synthetic, given the way it looks).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eyre|1415672974|3780994 said:
I do have a lot to learn. I have never heard of hydrothermal quartz.

It is very clear. Almost oddly so. I had figured it just had a massive window. I had considered getting it recut if it was a worthwhile stone.

I had thought tourmaline or aquamarine too. But it doesn't really match either, from what I've seen.

How would I go about getting it tested? Does that mean sending it out for an AGL report or taking it to someone local with the right equipment?

Thanks for the input, TL

You're welcome :)

I don't know if its worth spending the price to ship it to AGL to be honest. If you can find a local gem show in your area, perhaps someone there has some equipment and can look at it for you. AGL won't issue a report if its synthetic, but they can notify you. I'm not sure if they still charge the full fee for analyzing the stone and not issuing a report. You can contact them and check, but I would imagine they would charge you something as they probably receive a lot of synthetic gems each year.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
It looks just like synthetic spinel -- gorgeous, covetable color! Synthetic spinel does tend to fluoresce green under black light, so if you've got one handy that could be helpful.

I recently bought this synthetic spinel rough on eBay and it fluoresces a green that's similar to the daylight color of the stone. (The vendor oversaturated the photo, it really does look just like your stone.)

screen_shot_2014-11-10_at_8_0.png

Your ring stone is similar to this, too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Synthetic-Spinel-Cocktail-Ring-10k-Yellow-Gold-Blue-Green-Womens-3-10ct-/311099042211?pt=Gemstone_Rings&hash=item486ef2a9a3

Good thing is, spinel (even synthetic, I think) is a fine wearable stone that won't be too damaged by daily rubbing and gentle knocks, so you have a beautiful ring that you can show off!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sleepy appearance and the color make me think fluorite, perhaps.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I was thinking of fluorite too.....

but synthetic spinel would make more sense in a ring....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Initially, my thought was fluorite but that wouldn't survive long as a ring stone, so based on size, colouration, clarity and its condition, my guess is something synthetic.

Garnet Gimlet

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your help!

I think the synthetic spinel makes sense. Both that and the Flourite were match the color of the stone better than I captured it in the pictures, but given my lifestyle it has got to be spinel. I have two little ones that keep me busy, and I just recently cracked the crystal on a watch I had for less than a week! I tracked down a local gem show in the next month so I'll bring it there, but I'm pretty sure it will just confirm the thoughts of the forum.

It is a beautiful ring, and while it would be amazing if it was some obscure natural stone, I still enjoy it.

Thanks again for all your help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results