• Get the refurbished S5

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • See my comment below

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hello vacuum aficionados,

DH just killed our cheapy-vac in an unfortunate headphone-vacuuming incident, and he's fairly keen on replacing it with a Miele.
Miele makes several grades of vacuum and keeps changing the name to make comparison difficult (on purpose methinks).

We have two options: buy a cheaper S2 model new (louder, with warranty), or get a used S5 (quieter, refurbished but no warranty) for about the same price.

Which would you go with?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I bought what was then the cheaper one new right after 9/11 since I live half a mile away and was worried about the air and dust fallout. Still am really. I has the on/off switch replaced about two years ago at the super expensive vacuum shop on 14 th street. I think it cost $89. Still going strong! Is the refurbished one with no warranty factory refurbished or sold by a really reputable place?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would buy new. I bought the top of the line model about 2006 and it is great. I wanted the controls on the handle, and that was the only way to get it back then. I am not sure if that is still true. It's a great vacuum and I have been really happy with it. I am a little weird though about using someone else's vacuum or carpet cleaning machines. If you could find a great deal on one used, it might be workable. I would try all the new models at a dealer though so you can make sure it is working properly and you know what it is supposed to sound and feel like, and what the suction is like.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Miele, which is a fairly basic model that has been running well since 1995! I have had no issues with it at all though I have replaced the main brush attachment once. I'm sure the refurbished one would be fine.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
with a warranty/guarantee i'd go refurb.
my Miele is a discontinued model and was when I bought it in 2004....still going strong but is for tile floors, not carpet.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I bought the cheaper model about 4 years ago and it works really well. Now I have mostly harwood floors so I am only vacuuming area rugs, berber, runners, tile floors. I use the vac to dust, clean the drapes, vac the sofa and upholstered chairs. I have decided that when this one dies I will buy the higher end Miele. I also own an Electrolux from the 1980s, but the Miele is easier to carry and hold especially when I am cleaning the drapes.

So if you don't have a whole lot to really vacuum go with the base model. But if you have mostly carpeting ( you will probably want a beater bar which I don't have because I have no usebfor it) go with the higher end. Also if you have a shedding pet I would recomment the refurbished higher end model.

I have a vac guy near me who I really trust and if he says he stands behind the product I trust him to take care of me.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I had a basic miele model in a rental apartment, and it was really good. Even the basic models are fairly expensive, so I'd probably go with the newer one for the warranty. I think they're pretty well made, but you just never know (I have no luck with appliances).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a difficult choice. I purchased mine brand new and it is over 10 years old and still going strong. Never had it repaired whilst my Dyson Animal has died twice so I'm sticking with my Miele. Ours does both floor and carpet, and DH uses the attachment to vacuum the blinds and sofa.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hmm. Lots of good information here!
Thank you all for your wisdom and experience. It's good to know that most of you have Mieles that are still running several years on. The refurb is a 2006 model that is just out of its 7-year warranty, but the price is low enough that, should I need to have it serviced, it would still be within budget. I'm in a small fully-carpeted apartment, so something with an electric brush head is a must. DH is iffy about buying online, but I'm a bit more willing to take the risk because I've had good experiences thus far.

I think I need a few more days to mull it over.
New Mieles are just so expensive!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results