shape
carat
color
clarity

To make someone's life better

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
London is in 5th grade. Today she brought home a five dollar bill w/a note from one of her teachers. Everyone in her grade was given five dollars and they are to think of a way to make someone's life better. The students are to talk over their ideas w/their parents and parents are invited to give input for ideas as well, and help them finish their challenge, by the 19th. Then they write about it, read it to the class and are graded.

JD suggested she take the money down to the police station and donate it to Toys for Tots. I was sitting here thinking about it being Veteran's Day tomorrow, and I thought she could write cards to soldiers/veterans. Toys for Tots is a great idea, I just am of the mind that taking the time to pick out cards, write in them, mail them, etc, would take more effort and require her to think a little more about why she's doing what she's doing.

Any thoughts or ideas where to find addresses? I did happen to see a post on FB for Recovering American Soldier. Would you send several to one place, or spread them out to a few??

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Do you have a local Veterans association? Can you make a connection that way--and perhaps write letters in general vs. personally (which might be a challenge for confidentiality and security reasons)?

Since you have already investigated a website, are they organization that you could write letters to? Are you comfortable with that?

At any rate Packrat, your thoughtful ideas already made my day--and my life a little better. In short, one can see the useful dialogue that will be stimulated amongst yourselves and that, in turn, will unfold TEN in the community. :))

cheers--Sharon

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We do have a local VA! Yeah, I would have her write letters/cards as general ones, not to anyone specifically. I remember years ago when she was little, there was a website...I think it was thru Staples? And you could pick out online cards and write in them and then they would go to soldier's in VA hospitals I think, and they'd read them online. That was ohhh 8/9 years ago tho!

This is the post I saw on FB

1901350_890621764303872_4094572421079078854_n.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the ideas you've come up with already, but I also had a few other thoughts. Is there anyone in your neighborhood or among your acquaintances that might appreciate a friendly gesture - somebody that you'd be comfortable having London interact with? If she were to (for example) bring someone some flowers or something, she might get direct feedback. Does London have any thoughts about someone whose life she'd like to make better?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Similar to VRBeauty's suggestion above, another option is to buy as many flowers as possible with $5.00 (carnations or daisies maybe?), and then take them over to your local nursing home so your daughter can distribute them individually and greet each person with something like "I hope you have a beautiful day." Probably best if she calls ahead to the nursing home to confirm that something like this would be welcome and to arrange a suitable time. A large percentage of residents in nursing homes get very few visitors, and a gesture like this, especially from a child, I think would really brighten their day.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a nice idea VR! When we first talked about it, she said she could get someone something for Christmas, but she didn't know of anyone who didn't get things for Christmas. I asked if there are kids in school who maybe don't have a lot, she said she didn't know. I can think offhand of an elderly gentleman that I knew when I worked at the Dr's office, my favorite patient. He lost his wife several years ago..I could have her bring him flowers/a card or something?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a nice idea too, marymm! I knew you guys would have more ideas and suggestions, thanks!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha, too bad they didn't do this a few months ago-between my parents million flowers and ours, we could've done the entire community about!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the elderly gentleman have any family? Buying him a box of chocolates and a card for Christmas or someone elderly that for whatever reason has no relatives they see at Christmas time is a great idea as well.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure, arkie. After his wife died he always took the mini bus to his appointments, no one ever brought him, so I'm not sure if he has relatives nearby. You know, whatever we decide to do, I think we'll do something for him anyway. I really enjoyed him..he was very "grampa-ish" if that makes sense?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
VA, neighborhood gramps are good ideas.
add to the mix elders in homes w/o family?
nice project!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The two of you could also bake cookies together and hand those out at a nursing home, police station or fire station.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Calliecake|1415678513|3781039 said:
The two of you could also bake cookies together and hand those out at a nursing home, police station or fire station.
call first most do not accept home cooked items or even food.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1415682058|3781069 said:
Calliecake|1415678513|3781039 said:

call first most do not accept home cooked items or even food.

Wow...I had had the same thought...to spread out the $5.00 by using it for baking. But if it cannot be used for your target population, that will not work. It could certainly be used for good, however. If $5.00 were put towards baking cookies, they could be brought to a soup kitchen. If you stuck exactly to the $5.00, I am not sure how far it would go, however. (Fabulous project!!!)

Deb :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results