shape
carat
color
clarity

How did you feel when you got your first diamond/s

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I wonder what it was like when you got your first diamond/s?

I had always wanted diamond earrings since i saw my mum have them when i was about 6yo!!! LOL...
I eventually got my 1.0ct princess diamond earrings nearly 7 years ago for my birthday... I truly loved them. I bought them overseas with the help of my dear friend. (I no longer have the earrings as i was burgled a year later; and now you can't stop me!!!! hehehehehe)

I remember feeling quite overwhelmed and underwhelmed at the same time. the moment that i have been dreaming about for awhile and it was blah.... odd. Then when i got back to the hotel room.. i remember staring at them all the time... heheheheheehe.

what was your experience like?
what did you get- earrings/ ring/ bangle etc.....
who gave them to you...gift/ heirloom/ you personally bought.
how did you receive them- proposal, xmas present/ birthday/ mothers day...

love to hear your experiences...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got my first piece of fine jewelry for my 13th birthday. It was an emerald cluster (looks like a flower) pendant. I was thrilled! My parents gave me the matching earrings soon after. I will give them to my daughter someday. I got my first diamonds from my parents as well. It was a diamond band. I was in college and again, was very excited.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Wow- nice heirloom piece for your daughter.. do you have a picture of the set?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
She is my only child so I guess she will get everything :bigsmile: I don't have a photo of the emerald set but posted a photo of the band a loooong time ago! If I get around to it I should take some pics. I also have some bezel set emerald studs my mom gave me because she hates wearing studs. The rest of my diamonds/fine jewelry were bought by myself or ex. My family is not really into jewelry *gasp*

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
That ok. You better start grooming your daughter!!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, she is a bling girl! She loves all things sparkly and has already put dibs on all my jewelry.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mesmerized! Since it is my birthstone I needed to collect as many as possible!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
So, AprilBaby... how many in your collection now?
Tacori Ering- how old is your daughter and has ears been pierced?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Extremely excited as I have always liked sparkly things.

I found pictures of myself as a young ballerina where I was wearing a rhinestone tiara. Must have been about 10-11 years old.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1411958274|3758416 said:

See the post you inspired! 22.19 cts that I can think of!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I got to give a young coworker her first diamond the other day. My daughter does not like diamonds (must be from her dad's side). I had a small necklace with a .10 chip in it and gave it to my diamond crazy co-worker when she said my diamond ring was the first diamond she ever saw up close (her mom does not have a diamond ring). That was so much fun!

When I got my first diamond, i was just 20 years old and the quality was very poor. I kept cleaning it to make it brighter, but nothing helped :(

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was a baby! I still have the ring... it's very delicate and the diamond is a single cut, teensy thing, but the setting is gorgeous. It's too personal to post a pic, but a quick description: 14k yg, open flower shape surrounding white, round cut diamond. It's petite, sweet, and I will pass it on to my daughter so she can enjoy it and hopefully pass it on to other females to come.

I was given several other birthstone rings (emeralds) years following, but that first diamond was such a treasure! I had it sized to fit my finger when I was in 7th grade and wore it all through high school on my 4th finger. I can't believe I never lost it! It has so much sentimental value...I hope my child loves it as much as I always did.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
April baby- Wow 22.19ct!! impressive.... so how many individual pieces woudl that be... earrings count as one piece. hmmm another topic...

money meister... that is so nice of you to do for your co worker... next time.... send it my way... LOL

monarch.. that sounds exquisite. i do hope that your daughter treasures it as much as you do and for generations to come....heirloom worthy...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
gregchang35|1411958274|3758416 said:

Yes she does! Not ready to give her anything expensive though. She will be 7 in Nov.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I was around 12, they were diamond studs, maybe .25 cttw. I eventually lost them down a shower drain. That was the last time my Mother ever bought me studs, lol.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
My first diamond piece was given to me on the Christmas just before my suprise proposal the following month.
My husband-to-be bought me diamond earrings - bezeled .15 pointer studs with a little fairy trail chain of five teensy diamond chips trailling below .

I was absolutely thrilled as Aussie men are often not generous gift givers, and I didn't expect anything as personal or romantic.
I was 30 at the time I received this gift. I have been making up for lost time since!!
Perhaps my husband regrets what he started with that first modest maul gift.

The little stud earrings turned out to be a perfect match for my first (starter!) engagement ring, and I wore them to my wedding! :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At 19 I bought a diamond ring in a pawn shop for $75.
Still have it somewhere, probably around 0.25 ct J SI1 and cut like crap.
Hideous 1960s setting. :knockout:

I really enjoyed it at the time, though.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a diamond pendant (probably from a mall store), it was a heart. I remember thinking it was a nice gift, just not my style. It wasn't expensive and I got it from an ex.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought my first diamond ring using the money I received during Chinese New Year when I was 13. It was a simple 14K WG paved band with very small diamonds.

My mum hit the roof when she found out and told me off for wasting my money on "chips".

However, I felt very grown up and proud to have bought myself a piece of fine jewellery.

Can't remember what happened to that ring, most likely to be lost in transit when I moved from one place to another.

DK :))

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Growing up, diamonds were in very short supply. My mom and my aunts wore the teensiest colourless stones in engraved settings. I was told that they were diamonds and that they were very expensive.

One aunt never took off her engagement ring - she was an avid gardener as well as a fine cook. Let those two thoughts mingle in your mind for a minute. She also believed that if she ever removed either ring of the set, her marriage would fail. YEP!! For sure.
I passed that idea by my friends and it seemed as if my aunt was the odd one out.

I had to be engaged, at least, to have such a ring. I'm talking early 50's here.

I received tiny pearl pendants, and a bible with the smallest chip of a pearl. No great expectations yet...

In the summer when I was 18, my boyfriend and I visited an exhibition of various wonderful things- one of these things was diamond jewelry. We were idly walking by when we heard someone shout, 'Just a minute, sir" We thought that we must have dropped something. He ran toward us holding a ring aloft. We stopped, he grabbed my left hand and slipped the ring on.

I was stunned by the sight of that frozen spit on my finger!!. There were lots of lights, but not even a tiny flash from my hand. He went on to extol the praises of this one carat masterpiece. He also commented that a diamond engagement ring HAS TO BE AT LEAST ONE CARAT AS MY FRIENDS WOULD WANT TO KNOW HOW BIG THE STONE WAS and that would be it.

I immediately ripped that ring off my finger and gave it back to him. He slipped a business card to my bf now DH.
On the way home, BF asked what I'd thought of the ring and I told him that it was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen. :((

I think that was the opening that BF was looking for. We were engaged with a super sparkly rb a year later. Now that was a little fire bomb. Only 0.63c of exquisite brilliance in white gold centre with tapered baguettes on either side. The stats we found out much later were F,VVS.

Sorry for the long post, but memories came back in detail.

Harst035

Rough_Rock
@dk168 Aww, is that a border terrier you have?! (Sorry for being so off-topic— my grandpa had two and they were just the greatest– I'm as sentimental about dog breeds as I am jewelry :) )

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poor!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my first diamond was a .18 ct e-ring..it was not my original my hubby gave it to me at Christmas when I was pregnant with out first son (he was born 12/26) no papers but if I had to guess I would say H-I color probably SI2 and it is a sparkly little thing, I remember being in awe of it..it sparkled and I would look at it all the time and clean it all them time, I still have the diamond but I had it reset into a stud earring and my hubby wears it now :twirl:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first diamond was my .21 ct erring and I was thrilled plus completely surprised. It was from Zales GH color and not a bad diamond. It now resides in the center of a heart pendant.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My first diamond was my engagement ring and I felt like a princess, even though my ring is modest.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results